• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Metal Gear plot point/twist is the most ludicrous?

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Miller is actually
the sunglasses, he's not a person. The body is just a shell for "Miller." In MGSV, Miller's "body" is unresponsive until Big Boss puts the glasses on him. No less than a second later, he "awakens." Same goes for MGS1 -- Liquid became the "host" of Miller until he removed the glasses. Did you like my sunglasses?

But in all seriousness, Meryl and Johnny.

It's hard to top the arm.

But in MGS2 Fortune
actually being able to deflect missiles without the device she was carrying
is also ludicrous. They don't even try to explain that one.

But in MGS2 Fortune

well the whole point of that one is that it's unexplainable and should be impossible

Gator86

like why

why did he need to keep up that exact act with such a convoluted scheme, and not try to do anything else that would be a hundred times more logical

what was the purpose of trying to fool a computer into believing in ghosts

like, that's literally what he was doing

Yup. Every single that about that plot line was just dumb as shit. It's like no one ever even thought it through before the games came out.

But in MGS2 Fortune

Kind of a given rule that MGS bosses are naturally supernatural with no need for explanation. Fortune probably always had that power but has to channel it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

But in MGS2 Fortune
That's the point where you are supposed to be questioning whether what you are experiencing in MGS2 is real or part of the virtual simulation.

I honestly feel like none of the MGS2 plot points belong in this thread, or at least they didn't before MGS4 came out to fuck the theme of the game up because Kojima couldn't stick to his guns and not pander to the fans.

Barakov

Gold Member
Ocelot
not actually being controlled by Liquid, he fucking hypnotized himself to think he was Liquid? wtf?

Far less interesting, honestly. In the grand scheme of things, 4 got a lot of stuff wrong just for the sake of tying up Solid Snake's story and having logical explanations. It's still a great game and all but that was the wrong way for Kojima to reign his craziness in.

NumberThree said:

But in MGS2 Fortune actually being able to deflect missiles without the device she was carrying is also ludicrous. They don't even try to explain that one.

With all the stuff that happened in that game, I'm okay with that.

Geg

I'm surprised so many people didn't like the Ocelot twist in MGS4. That was so much better than him being mind controlled by an arm

ryushe

Reading all of these post has me questioning why I love this series so much...

Also, to be fair, isn't them retconing Ocelot hypnotizing himself to be Liquid way less ludicrous than a fucking arm taking control of his consciousness!?

Madao

Miller is actually
the sunglasses, he's not a person. The body is just a shell for "Miller." In MGSV, Miller's "body" is unresponsive until Big Boss puts the glasses on him. No less than a second later, he "awakens." Same goes for MGS1 -- Liquid became the "host" of Miller until he removed the glasses. Did you like my sunglasses?

he's just a Madao lol.

XenoRaven

The Liquid Ocelot thing is so outrageous that they could have had Liquid come back as a ghost and possess Ocelot and it would have made more god damn sense.

Shredderi

All of your support team in MGS3 turned evil and built an AI that runs the world. Somehow. That's the most egregious one to me. I have a hard time suspending my disbelief for it.

This. My lovely and charming support team just turned into the bad guys? Lol. And yeah... Ocelot...

MrMatt555

I'd like to believe Ocelot WAS possessed in 2, Got rid of the arm post mgs2, and then in 4 fooled the patriots into thinking he still was possesed all in order to take out GW.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I'd like to believe Ocelot WAS possessed in 2, Got rid of the arm post mgs2, and then in 4 fooled the patriots into thinking he still was possesed all in order to take out GW.

it's true, the mgs4 database says that's what happened. this is also why Ocelot gets his voice in MGS2.

for me, Solid Snake actually has a twin brother! And the guy who betrayed him in Outer Heaven and Zanzibar is actually his dad! But not really, they're all clones!

The Boss AI and everything surrounding it is absolutely one of the dumbest things in the series.

This is ignoring MGS4, of course, because that game not only shits all over MGS2's themes and messaging nothing makes ANY sense

Dremark

Banned
The Boss AI and everything surrounding it is absolutely one of the dumbest things in the series.

This is ignoring MGS4, of course, because that game not only shits all over MGS2's themes and messaging nothing makes ANY sense

The Boss AI one of the ways they forcibly get MGS3's story to be directly relevant to the rest of the series.

I wish they had just let it be Boss' back story and left it at that.

NeoCross

That is indeed the case. In the last fight you see ocelot's arm is completely bionic, compared to the one in MGS2 where he just lolgrafted liquids arm to himself.

Jebral

WH2b.jpg

This and the Johnny & Meryl are so dumb they cause me physical pain, but this is still my favorite series.

Agree about all the Liquid Ocelot stuff though. Sigh.

I personally can't wait to play as 1984 robot arm Snake with wormhole fultons. Bring it on. Initially I was worried that the game was gonna be too grounded. Glad to see this stuff.

The Boss AI one of the ways they forcibly get MGS3's story to be directly relevant to the rest of the series.

I wish they had just let it be Boss' back story and left it at that.
I think the problem is that by providing the biggest motivation for Big Boss' downfall, it was already incredibly relevant to the rest of the series. It's the catalyst of...everything.

Squishy3

Miller is actually

Some characters, the only defining character trait is the glasses.

Hasegawa-sunglasses.jpg

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Look, I consider Metal Gear Solid 4 the best game in the series, and a fantastic finale. I was even ok with the
nanomachines explaining a lot of the supernatural stuff such as Vamp's abilities, though it didn't explain him walking on water
and the stupid
arm thing
being retconned into a better (if still not great) explanation.

Now my memory is a bit rusty, but why in the HELL did
Eva throw herself into the fire when that body was burning?!
Like, I remember that being SO ridiculous. That whole scene was such a train wreck. What an awful end to her character, so that's my pick.

What they did to Ocelot/Liquid in 2/3/4 is utter garbage, but Peace Walker is its own special stupidness. If I had to choose, I'd say the Ocelot/Liquid stuff.

For as bad as Peace Walker is, I hate hate hate MGS4's story. The only good story bits involve Meryl and Snake in their opening meetings, but even that is destroyed by Kojima et all.

The one where it became a popular and acclaimed series.

I'm joking, I swear. The biggest plot twist was the fact that Psycho Mantis took more time to beat when I was 7 than the entirety of the rest of the game. Literally spent one week beating the game and another week beating him.

jogu

I have played all the games, but i dont remember the weird plot very well. Where could i read the story explained in simple and short form?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
That's cheesecake compared to Liquid's arm shenanigans.

Liquid's arm (and its association with Ocelot's truth in MGS4) I would agree is the most ludicrous. It's unbelievably stupid and unnecessary and serves the narrative absolutely nothing other than to convolute it with idiocy.

But the Johnny x Meryl love story was cringe after cringe. Horrendous writing and that awful cringeworthy Mr & Mrs Smith (thanks, LiK) shoot out. It was just awful and had no place in the plot. Runner up is Otacon crying to his cancer stricken "I can't cure this because reasons also nanomachines" fling via a toy robot.

Everything romance related in MGS4 is painful to sit through.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
If Liquid Ocelot played with himself, it is technically a homosexual relationship?

Poopman Johnny turning out to be beautiful and marrying the primary female character of the series almost solely convinces me that MGS4 was written sarcastically.

I'm surprised so many people didn't like the Ocelot twist in MGS4. That was so much better than him being mind controlled by an arm

But he was mind controlled by the arm in MGS2, that never changed.

He got control back some time between 2 and 4, replaced the arm, and then hypnotised himself to have the exact same outcome as if he'd just stayed possessed.

Everything romance related in MGS4 is painful to sit through.

I will disagree with this part because some of the stuff between Meryl and Snake is really good, but it is chucked out because... I dunno. MGS4 is a trainwreck. The Meryl/Snake early moments I will contend are good.

No, it really wasn't.

It was an obvious asspull when the previous game went out of it's way to explain why ocelot's arm was possessed by a ghost. Saying ocelot was just pretending makes the entire thing an even dumber waste of time than it already was.

jwhit28

I still don't understand why Ocelot had to be Liquid to trick Solid into destroying the Patriots. Like would Solid just have ignored the whole thing if Ocelot went through the whole process as himself?

TheXbox

Yup. Everything about Liquid Ocelot, from 2 through 4. Possessed, not possessed, half possessed, it doesn't matter. In all cases it is mind-numbingly stupid.

At least the last boss fight is great.

Cyborg

Talking about Ocelot, Im "remembering" how good the Voiceactor in the original was. MGS4 and 5 are sounding so lame :(

Top Bottom