• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which new generations do you think had the best visual improvements?

Which generation of console saw the biggest improvement

• Nes

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • Snes + Mega Drive/genesis

Votes: 27 7.7%
  • PS1,N64, Saturn

Votes: 108 30.9%
  • PS2,XBOX, GameCube

Votes: 158 45.1%
  • PS3,360 + wii

Votes: 95 27.1%
  • X1+PS4

Votes: 28 8.0%
  • Xbox Series + PS5

Votes: 10 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Google indicated that the screenshot I used was from the PSX version. I have updated my post with a better image.

So have you never played the first one before? I ask because there's no way you could have possibly thought the last screen you had were PS1 graphics unless you completely forgot how that early 3D looked. That image was way too smooth and clean lol.

But you got a better shot in your update. Granted not all games on PS1 looked like that, but I always wondered when people said MGS looked good if they were playing on an emulator with enhancements on or something else.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
So have you never played the first one before? I ask because there's no way you could have possibly thought the last screen you had were PS1 graphics unless you completely forgot how that early 3D looked.

I played the fucking game when I was a teenager. There is no need for you to be a condescending twat when someone gets something wrong. I'm a hairsbreadth away from blocking you because this is your default attitude, and it fucking sucks. We get it: you're always right and want to be an asshole about it. Move the fuck on.

aclar00

The 6th generation on the other hand!... It also used poligon graphics, but the jump was insane.
45eb5ee93798365706c020df05ae2adb5fd412ab_hq.jpg

Ha, this very screenshot is what i immediately recalled when i came into the thread. I used to go to that hallway all the time in RE1 to just be amazed at the graphics. This was a huge jump to me as a kid.

aclar00

Allow me to clear this up:

Metal Gear Solid (PlayStation)
900x.jpg

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2)
MV5BYTk4YjU5MGItZGRhOS00NWI5LTlmOTItNGE1NmNhYWYxNTI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg0Mjk4Mzc@._V1_.jpg

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PlayStation 3)
2335L.jpg

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PlayStation 4)
mgsv-phantom-pain-interpreter-locations.jpg

Are we all on the same page now?

Wheres the NES Metal Gear
UkZM8LT.png

Ecotic

I've experienced all the generational leaps except the one from the Atari 2600 to the NES, and I was only completely floored by a generational leap twice.

The first was playing the launch window games for the N64 in 1996. It was just a handful of games - Super Mario 64, Pilotwings 64, Wave Race 64, Cruis'n USA, and Shadows of the Empire - but it was everything the marketing hype and gaming magazines had promised. I remember me and my buddies were huddled around the N64, trying to do senseless things like fly wingcap Mario into the skyboxes to 'find more game', none of us understood 3D graphics at the time to know any better. I didn't even think those launch games looked primitive or like pixelated crap, they looked great to me at the time. Maybe soon after playing quite a few bad-looking N64 games did I realize that not every game would get it right, but that first batch looked good.

The Dreamcast launch comes in at second. The games were fast and colorful, and when I was racing through emerald coast zone in Sonic Adventure or looking at the models in theater mode in Soul Calibur, gaming felt limitless for the first time. Like whatever developers wanted to do from here on out it could be done.

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

Gen 6 (DC,GC, PS2, Xbox)
When 3D gaming started to look good.
Characters resembling to real humans.
Beautiful landscapes.
Anime based game with cell shading were amazing for the time.
2D games in high res, almost arcade perfect.

What an era ..

fart town usa

Gold Member
I played the fucking game when I was a teenager. There is no need for you to be a condescending twat when someone gets something wrong. I'm a hairsbreadth away from blocking you because this is your default attitude, and it fucking sucks. We get it: you're always right and want to be an asshole about it. Move the fuck on.
For what it's worth. The GCN screenshot looked like a PSX game to me.

MGS on the PSX is a thing of absolute beauty. All the pixel art on top of 3D models...*chef's kiss*

I asked a simple question of whether you played it before. I wasn't being condescending at all you just read it that way. Cutting the rest of my post out to make the post seem worse than what was actually written doesn't help. Threatening to block me is unnecessary when it's a simple misinterpretation we don't need to fight over.

The rest of the post missing:

That image was way too smooth and clean lol.

But you got a better shot in your update. Granted not all games on PS1 looked like that, but I always wondered when people said MGS looked good if they were playing on an emulator with enhancements on or something else.

If you put both pieces together, instead of your first quote, you probably would have responded differently with something like "lol yeah, PS1 games are anything but smooth"

Anyway, let's not fight over something small like this. Wasn't intending to upset you.

Last edited:
Which is what happened, and fans were online arguing about it just like now online in the later 90's. you either have bad memory or weren't around. Saturn was maimed by tech analysis, often times unfairly.

It wouldn't be close to as people due today, because the Internet is much more accessible, so that's not really much of an argument.
I'm not LITERALLY saying nobody complained ever... people will complain about anything... I'm not talking about the exceptions to the rule... In general coming from the 16bit generation going to the 32/64bit... was completely revolutionary... no gamers were complaining about performance shit online. People were wowed by what their home console could do.

No shit that by the late to end of the generation certain people were complaining... that's what always happens as new tech starts evolving and developers become constrained by the hardware again.

When Golden Eye launched... nobody gave a shit that it ran a 13fps half the time and 20fps the other half... the game was visually and technically stunning, and the multiplayer was incredible. Nobody also cared that you were starting at a tiny 1/4 cube of the screen during 4 player split screen... you were having fun... not crying about it on the internet. That whining about performance shit came later.

There has never been a graphical jump as massive as from 2d 16bit consoles, to 3D 32/64bit consoles. Plain and simple.

BlackTron

Wtf guys.
Do all of you forgot the transition from 2D to 3D? That was a big deal.

I remember seeing Mario 64 for the first time and it blew my mind when I saw Mario squishing a Goomba.

This really is the correct answer.

Are all of the complaints and criticisms about early 3D valid? Absolutely yes. That does nothing to usurp that gen as the most profound shift in graphics. I still remember my first time watching the intro at a demo kiosk where the latiku/camera swings around the castle as the most megaton moment in gaming ever.

Only 3 years later Dreamcast came out. That opening salvo with Soul Calibur and Sonic that took all the rough edges off 3D was the last upgrade big enough to be really exciting.

No gamers were complaining about performance shit online. People were wowed by what their home console could do.

you were having fun... not crying about it on the internet. That whining about performance shit came later.

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.video.nintendo/c/hRww3JkuxiQ

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.video.nintendo/c/AUBSzxMWFtA/m/6WICsZBWhrMJ

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.video.nintendo/c/6cXaqHbZtmo

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.video.nintendo/c/DtYAGwFiyZw/

Conversations like these were all over the place.

lol... I see comments complaining... and the replies saying... I'm just having fun dawg IDGAF...

And people arguing back about tech, and the people saying they DGAF also arguing back online back and forth, the thing you said they weren't doing back then.

I'm not sure why you're pushing so hard on this, once the message boards were common with the web people were arguing about the same stuff they are arguing now, and people were arguing this same stuff on BBS in the 80's, the only difference is access to the internet and the amount of people and the amount of platforms 9then sites) the arguments were taking place on.

And people arguing back about tech, and the people saying they DGAF also arguing back online back and forth, the thing you said they weren't doing back then.

I'm not sure why you're pushing so hard on this, once the message boards were common with the web people were arguing about the same stuff they are arguing now, and people were arguing this same stuff on BBS in the 80's, the only difference is access to the internet and the amount of people and the amount of platforms 9then sites) the arguments were taking place on.
No, they really weren't.

You're the one that's pushing really hard lmfao... and no.. people weren't arguing about the same stuff they are now on the scale that they are now. Stop kidding yourself. You posted a post of someone saying N64 made them dizzy for crying out loud......

It's hilarious to me that you're acting like I'm saying there weren't low framerates or tech issues back then...... when what I'm saying is that on the whole people did not have the same attitude towards performance issues back then as they do now... That's a simple fact. When PS1 and N64 launched... people weren't whining... they were playing the state of the art, as far as home consoles went.. and it was radically different and superior to the 16bit generation.

Let's not forget this is what the thread is actually about....

I went with Ps1/N64/Saturn. Going from this;
main-qimg-f0051071763341507edfbab2ab328d52

To this;
super-mario-64-120-estrelas.jpg

Was just an absolutely crazy jump.
But virtually every game on those platforms was ugly as sin. Whereas most 16 bit games actually looked pretty nice.
You have to remember those 16-bit games were the end result of decades of refinement in 2D art and technology, where as the 32/64 bit system games was the first of their kind. We take 3D for granted now, but imagine having never seen a single 3D game before in your life, where it was nothing like anything you've ever experienced. It'd be like if someone suddenly showed you a game today that was 4D somehow, just something you didn't know was possible in any way. That's unthinkable to today's gamers I feel like, some who think having stable framerates and 4x the resolution constitutes progress.

It almost doesn't matter that it wasn't a pleasing visual improvement all around, as it was a whole new visual dimension.

You're the one that's pushing really hard lmfao... and no.. people weren't arguing about the same stuff they are now on the scale that they are now.

Never made this argument now you are being dishonest. I didn't say anything about scale, and you clearly didn't read through those links, they are arguing back and foruth about the same stuff people are now, and they were also arguing this stuff in the 80's, mostly for computers, too.

You're trying to create this imaginary world that doesn't exist where people were talking and comparing console tech. it doesn't exist.

You posted a post of someone saying N64 made them dizzy for crying out loud......

Proving my point you didn't actually read the conversations.

It's hilarious to me that you're acting like I'm saying there weren't low framerates or tech issues back then......

Except I didn't do this.

When PS1 and N64 launched... people weren't whining...

Yes they were, again i don't really get why you are pushing so hard on this, the only difference between now and then is the amount of people online and the death of press and magazine write-ins, yes there will be more conversations if there are more people with computers and more [points on the internet to have these conversations.

But we are gamers on a gaming board, not casuals, and gamers were still arguing the same stuff at near the same rate adjusted back then as now. several gaming communities started in the 90's.

You have to remember those 16-bit games were the end result of decades of refinement in 2D art and technology, where as the 32/64 bit system games was the first of their kind. We take 3D for granted now, but imagine having never seen a single 3D game before in your life, where it was nothing like anything you've ever experienced.

Yes, there is a reason 3DO was seen as a new standard no one could afford, (unless were on the right home computers and were playing 3D for a decade) but for many people who just went and brought a SNES or a Genesis and didn't really see 3D games it was quite the jump. Especially since 3DO PS1 and Saturn didn't really start selling and gaining visual presence until 1996, and the N64 came out later that year. So people were buying DonkeyKong Country more than they were buying 3D consoles until then.

Going from Sonic 3 or DKC to Virtua Cop, Crash, or Mario Kart 64 was probably a jaw dropping moment.

Unless you saw VF3 in the arcades, that may have spoiled you a bit.

Never made this argument now you are being dishonest. I didn't say anything about scale, and you clearly didn't read through those links, they are arguing back and foruth about the same stuff people are now, and they were also arguing this stuff in the 80's, mostly for computers, too.

You're trying to create this imaginary world that doesn't exist where people were talking and comparing console tech. it doesn't exist.

Proving my point you didn't actually read the conversations.

Except I didn't do this.

Yes they were, again i don't really get why you are pushing so hard on this, the only difference between now and then is the amount of people online and the death of press and magazine write-ins, yes there will be more conversations if there are more people with computers and more [points on the internet to have these conversations.

But we are gamers on a gaming board, not casuals, and gamers were still arguing the same stuff at near the same rate adjusted back then as now. several gaming communities started in the 90's.
I'm not pushing hard. I did read the convos. Your links are simply lame.

Someone complaining that a low framerate makes them dizzy is a medical issue and has logical merit to it. People complain about low FOV, people complain about flashing... that's a natural issue that certain people suffer from regardless. It's not the same as someone complaining because their game dwapped a fwame and it needs to be locked!!! ... like today. :pie_lcry:

You're not countering my point, despite you being adamant that you are.

Nobody gave a shit back then when those 32/64bit consoles first game out. You're simply wrong if you think it was anything like it is today.

I'm not pushing hard. I did read the convos. Your links are simply lame.

Someone complaining that a low framerate makes them dizzy is a medical issue and has logical merit to it. People complain about low FOV, people complain about flashing... that's a natural issue that certain people suffer from regardless. It's not the same as someone complaining because their game dwapped a fwame and it needs to be locked!!! ... like today. :pie_lcry:

You're not countering my point, despite you being adamant that you are.

Nobody gave a shit back then when those 32/64bit consoles first game out. You're simply wrong if you think it was anything like it is today.

All you're doing is proving you never actually read through the conversations. just looked at the couple top posts and stopped.

People cared, and many gamers based their purchases on it. Around the same ratio of gamers to normal buyers as now.

Yeah, "locked" frame rates weren't a debate, but the frame rates were, especially for N64 games which are in 3 of the links.

So yes it did happen. Only difference is there's more people and places to argue about that stuff online than in the 90's. But the general buyers for consoles also grew, so it's the same minority posting on forums like this. Or groups and BBS before the web.

Last edited:

Seider

Most impressive games i saw on console...

Fzero - Snes
Wipeout - Playstation
Einhander - Playstation
Soul Calibur - Dreamcast
Metal Gear Solid 2 - Playstation 2
Gran Turismo 3 - Playstation 2
Ninja Gaiden - Xbox
Gears of War - Xbox 360
God of War 3 - Playstation 3
Uncharted 4 - Playstation 4

kiphalfton

I’m sorry but anyone who went from SNES graphics to Ocarina of Time and Mario 64 couldn’t possibly give any other awnser.

From;

a link to the past nintendo GIF by El Primer Mando

To;

d1a753cf773881e96623030a99af2851.gif

I'm sorry, but anybody who played Link to the Past knows it has better art directions than Ocarina of Time (i.e. hand drawn sprites and environments are vastly superior to blocky/blurry mess in OoT).

People forget PS3 to PS4 transition is pretty big:

PS3

PS4

Insomniac had a rough PS3 generation. They were NOT one of the graphical power houses of that generation (fun as their games were), whereas they really turned into one during PS4. The PS3 to 4 was a small jump compared to what came before, but it was a really pleasing one. It was the first gen where I felt we were really close to looking at something close to animated feature films (just the feel, not the technical reality which is still quite far). The level of polish is great.

gypsygib

Going from sprites to polygons was probably the biggest leap but PS1/N64/Saturn games are so ugly and visually sparse that I much rather look at/play a SNES game than a PS1 game today. I was more wowed by the change in gameplay and introduction of 3d worlds rather than graphics per se which were REALLY muddy and blurry with horrible FPS. SNES games were prettier and strangely hold up better today.

So, I'd probably go with PS2/XBOX/GC closely followed by PS3/360. A lot of modern games look somewhat close to 360 games but with better res, lighting and textures. Both PS2/Xbox and PS3/360 gens made my jaw drop, and I haven't really had that same wow-factor since.

Last edited:
LOL imagine saying anything else but PS1, N64, and Saturn...
We're all biased by our age and experiences here. My first experience was the Atari VCS/2600. The jump from 2d tile based games to 3d polygon rendering consoles cannot be compared though. It was nuts. I get that HD and the PS2 era were big leaps, but not even close to that change. It was such a big change that I would even say that the N64 and PS 1 era consoles were not up to snuff and really were ahead of the time for what was affordable 3D. That is why those two consoles don't hold up as well as anything after. But the leap back then was ridiculous. Absolutely fucking ridiculous.

The computer/PC side of things is different. No real "generations" per SE, but the advent of SVGA and the 3D accelerator card are milestones there.

Last edited:

AGRacing

While the PS2 Gen was incredible there isn't much like seeing what the PS1 could do, such as tomb raider for the first time. And I was a PC gamer.
I have the empathize with this.

I was 15. We didn't see these things on TV necessarily first... we saw small screenshots (and never knew if what we were looking at was art or game). It's important to note that FMV games were big at this time... so when we saw things like destruction derby, ridge racer or toshinden in magazines we just assumed it was FMV.

When I walked into Novi Mall in Michigan with my father in September 1995... I almost shit my pants. The transparent smoke effect on the destruction derby cars. The apparent rounded edges of the back of the cars Ridge Racer. It was all mind blowing. If you were born at or after this time I'll never be able to explain it to you. Today 16 bit graphics is an artistic choice. In my day it was a limitation for years... and then one day that limitation was obliterated.

And now we just count how many pixels between console versions of COD there are... or how far from the camera the shadows are being drawn in. Frankly - it sucks.

Top Bottom