• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Of the three bestselling systems of all time, which has the best library?

Which has the best library?

• PS2

Votes: 193 79.4%
  • DS

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Switch

Votes: 43 17.7%

• Total voters

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
DS has better JRPG selection than PS2 & most of the fire essential PS2 games have been Remastered or ported over for modern systems so... DS.

PS2 is still the best console of all time but most of the games I don't have to dig out my PS2 to play these days. I still have Xenosaga to play and a bunch of PS1 games.

Impotaku

Damn OP talk about a fucking hard choice, it's REALLY hard to be objective as i'm torn 3 ways.

The PS2 library is indeed strong not for the 1st party stuff that everyones just goes by but for the sheer volume of amazingly weird & wonderful games that were released i love the PS1 even more but PS2 was the last sony console to ever have the volume of these kind of games and because of it the library is amazing. I love weird games & i love rhythm games and PS2 had all of Konami's god level music game output. Pop n' music, beatmania IIDX, DDR, Guitar freaks & also Drummania, Keyboardmania, Para para paradise.

Up to switch the DS was the system i have the most games for, people easily dismiss the DS because they probably only grabbed the typical cookie cutter selection of 1st party titles and a few of the 3rd party stuff and deemed the rest shovelware. I literally went through all 3 regions grabbing everything and anything fun, the DS library is insane and the wealth of genres means there's literally titles in there for anyone. The amount of weird & wonderful games i have lost count. There's also another side to the DS library there are a lot of what i call software titles that are not games but useful utilities the talking cooking books been a couple, as well as interactive guides for language & travel as well as study guides for a lot of subjects especially in japan. While i don't this these are essentials i have actually use some of these and i found them pretty useful.

The switch is where i'm currently at and it's the system that i now have the most games for and that wasn't with me even trying like i did with DS going extensively through all regions and picking up just the ones i might like. So far the switch has so many titles that i like that i'm struggling to keep on top of releases i try to look through all 3 regions like the DS as there's some that only get releases in one but noth the others and vice versa but i'm not buying everything (yet), while it doesn't have the god tier volume of rhythm games like th PS2 but it sure as hell is giving it a good try. Add in the wealth of shmups and other weird & fun games along with the crazy amount of indie support. There's also the 1st party stuff nintendo has been putting out with them plundering the wiiu library the switch is the only console to have so many of mario's adventures on as well as zelda too.

To be honest i can't choose yet as the switch library is still alive, i have no idea what games are left to come so it's a bit premature till titles stop getting released. LOL just glad you didn't have PS1 in there or i'd really struggle.

Last edited:

Doom85

I bet you everyone saying ‘PS2 no contest!’ weren’t even born when the console released.

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

Born when the PS2 released? Err, yes, kind of a given, most people in existence weren’t born on March 4th 2000 (JP), October 26th 2000 (NA), or November 24th 2000 (EU) (and some other regions, but let’s not extend this lame joke even longer). That’s the safest bet ever.

Generally confused about the lack of DS votes (I also voted for it)

I feel like GAF must just have been made up by people who only owned the PS2 that gen. The DS was just outstanding for a handheld and I remember far more of its releases fondly than I do my PS2.

I had a DS, it was great, but I don’t get the high love some have for it.

New Super Mario Bros was great at the time, but over time it became clear it was just a good Mario game, nothing more, simply it was the initial excitement over having a new 2D Mario (which Nintendo quickly overstuffed us with, killing the novelty). I did not care for the Zelda games on DS, the control scheme felt like I was just guiding Link instead of getting to actually play as him. Mario Kart had a great entry, true. Pokémon did have a solid entry with B&W and the G&S remakes. I did not care for Metroid Prime Hunters. Mario and Luigi RPG: BIS was great but I still prefer the first game. Animal Crossing was good but also when I tapped out of the series. Phoenix Wright is great though I have to be in the mood for that sort of game. I felt Fire Emblem SD was weaker compared to the GBA entries.

And there was some other great titles, but it was not Nintendo’s strongest outing even in the handheld department.

My only guess why some would prefer the DS is if they didn’t have much time to game as I imagine DS games were generally quicker to complete and easier to just hop into compared to PS2 games. But for those of us who did have more time, come on, this is no contest, PS2 takes that crown for sure.

As for the other comments claiming DS had better RPGs, I just……

Eyes What GIF

Dark Cloud 1 and 2
Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2
Disgaea 1 and 2
Dragon Quest VIII
Final Fantasy X and XII
Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2
Odin Sphere
Persona 3 and 4
Rogue Galaxy
Shadow Hearts trilogy
Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne
Star Ocean 3
Tales of the Abyss
Wild Arms 3
Xenosaga 1 and 3

And there were others I never even touched. Like, this is a slaughter, don’t do the DS dirty like that. It was great, let’s remember what it did do well, but claiming it could beat PS2 of all systems in JRPGs?

Will Ferrell Elf GIF by filmeditor

phant0m

PS2 will forever be the GOAT. Best hardware/design, best library.

I’d love a “PS2 Classic” with a disc drive that plays real discs, HDMI output + 3x upscale and 60 fps. Basically PCSX2 in a box but official.

Top Bottom