• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which next gen console is THE WILDCARD?

Willco

Hollywood Square
... Which next gen console has the most ability to surprise people and gain valuable market and/or mindshare?

Safe money is on Xbox 360, but if you're livin' life on the edge...

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
3DO M2.

That's right bitches, it's actually coming......this Fall.

lexi

Banned
Infinium%20Phantom%20-%20picture%20for%20glo%20story.JPG

Revolution would be a console wild card if there ever was one.

Who the hell knows what that'll be or how the market will take to it.

I have a feeling it'll either fizzle quickly or shock people with something new (not so much feature-wise ... but with some kind of new franchise from Nintendo).

The Revolution is certainly the wildcard. Most people know/expect the Xbox 360 and PS3 to kick all sorts of ass. No one's quite sure what's going on with Nintendo and the Revolution right now (besides the very few known details out there), so..

*I'm* sure the Revolution will be great (just as nearly all of Nintendo's previous systems have.. note I said, nearly all.. not all :) ), but most people aren't convinced of that, and it's not talked about much at all in the media/press..

Mihail

Banned
There are too many things wrong with your post. Firstly, how can the 360 be both the wildcard and the safe money bet? The nature of the wildcard is that it's not a safe bet...

Secondly, both Sony and Microsoft have pretty much shown all their cards and detailed their strategy. Nintendo is the only one that has yet to show their hand, but they have so much negative momentum that it's hard to say they will surprise everyone positively.

The Sega Avatar

Straight out of NECs research labs here is some info on Sega's next hardware project, code named "Avatar". Specs
and early real-time demo screen shots included. Enjoy. You don't have to thank me :)

CPU - Handles 3D Transformation
Hitachi UH1 (Ultra Hitachi 1)
Clock Speed: 800mhz
L1 cache size: 512k
Floating Point Performance: 16 GFLOPS max
Integer Performance: 1500 MIPS
Bus size: 256 bits
Bus bandwidth: 8.4 Gigabytes/second
Transistors: 120 million
Manufacture: .13 micron
Able to calculate 100 million polygons/second

Co-processor - Handles Artificial Intelligence/Artificial Life, Collision Detection & MPEG2&3 Decoding
NEC 8600
Clock Speed: 200mhz
Floating Point Performance: 1.8 GFLOPS max
Integer Performance: 400 MIPS
Bus size: 64 bits
Bus bandwidth: 1.2 Gigabytes/second
Transistors: 26 million
Manufacture: .18 micron

Graphics Processor
PowerVR chip code named "Excelsior"
Clock Speed: 300mhz
Bus size: 256 bits
Fill Rate: 8.4 full featured billion pixels/second (deferred rendered)
Max resolution: 1920x1200 @ 32bit color
Max texture resolution: 4096x4096
Max color: 48bit RGBA
Effects:
* Perspective correct true-color Gouraud lighting
* Perspective correct transparency
* Perspective correct texture mapping
* Trilinear and anisotropic filtering
* Depth buffering
* Full Scene Anti-aliasing
* Fog and depth cue with vertex level control
* Scissor and stipple masking
* Full alpha blending modes supported
* Specular highlights
* 48-bit floating-point Z buffering
* Environment mapping
* 32 Overlay planes
* 8x8 Anti-aliasing multisampling
* Volumetric effects
* Hardware translucency sorter
* 256 layers of translucency
* True Bumpmapping
* True Phong shading and lighting
* True Raytracing
* 100 million textured, gourad shaded, lighted
polygons/second
* 60 Million polygons/second with ALL effects enabled

Sound processor
Clock Speed: 100mhz
Voices: 256
* Vortex2 technology

Other Information
* 64MB of main RDRAM, 32MB of RDRAM for textures
* DVD-ROM media format
* Backward compatible to Dreamcast due to emulation
* Expected release date is sometime in 2005 in Japan and U.S.

It's coming out. 2005.

and that's not all! after the Avatar, Sega also has an even more powerful Dreamcast2 coming out in 2006 that'll be 100 times more powerful than Dreamcast! and several times more powerful than the Avatar - the Avatar is more of a stopgap like the 32X upgrade for Genesis. -- the Dreamcast2 is then like the Saturn after the 32X-like Avatar.

Sega is BACK

The Revolution is the wild card.

I have don some researchinig and have found that no game company has ever won 3 straight console generations.

One thing is definite. Sony has the most to loss and can ill afford to. If their gaming sector goes into the red, Sony am finished.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
ChronoMagnus said:
The Revolution is the wild card.

I have don some researchinig and have found that no game company has ever won 3 straight console generations.

you had to research a well known fact?

my real answer: Nintendo Revolution. obviously it is the wikd card - whereas Xbox360 and PS3 are probably the 'status quo' - more of the same

I just wanted to get my facts straight. I never enter an arguement without being a hundred percent sure that what i'm saying is true.

I was born on 1985 so i would not have known about the "Retro age" of gaming, thus why i had to do research.

my real answer: Nintendo Revolution. obviously it is the wild card - whereas Xbox360 and PS3 are probably the 'status quo' - more of the same

Ranger X

PS3 = safe bet
Xbox360 = wild card (it can end up great just as not so great)
Revolution = you're not good at gambling

Top Bottom