• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Nintendo Switch version do you have?

Which Nintendo Switch Version do you have?

• Switch V1 or V2

Votes: 126 68.5%
  • Switch Lite

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Switch OLED

Votes: 71 38.6%

• Total voters
V1 and an OLED, but there's no multiple vote so I voted for V1 as I assumed OELD would be winning.
That's weird because I made the poll multiple choice.

7JISoM4.png

vcAHLAf.png

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I'd be interested to know the V1 to V2 split, tbh.

Mainly to know who else is slumming it like me. The Switch has been my most under used console, but recently I've been hammering TOTK on handheld mode (the framerate looks offputtingly choppy on my Oled tv in a way that the handheld doesn't) and it's made me think I might actually get around to the games I've bought but not played - 2 Metroids to start, 2 Zeldas to finish and something else as well that I've forgotten. I would have probably picked up an Oled console, but the spectre of a new machine on the horizon for ages has made me think that as soon as I bought one, they'd release a new system.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
However, OLED brought a lot of QoL improvements between the screen and battery life to handheld mode.
Yeah I know, and I do play mine in handheld from time to time so those features are great. I have used one at a friends house and it looks soooo much better.

I guess I was just really hoping they’d do a ‘Pro’ or something, and yeah at this point I’m not going to bother.

BlackTron

Still on my V1 that I got in 2017 when Odyssey came out. Amazingly the joycons still held up fine. I use it both on the TV with a gamepad, and handheld mode for simpler portable style games like 1-2 button platformers or tactics games.

I'm actually tempted to get a cheap used Switch Lite to replace the role that a Game Boy used to. It's smaller, it has a D-Pad. But having the option to just transform the system into a console when desired in exchange for being a bit larger is just too much. Having both and leaving the normal switch docked most of the time would forcefully fragment games between modes.

I would probably buy a OLED and hack the v1 but we are too close to the successor. I at least want details of the new system before I decide what to do.

daffyduck

OLED.

I might have a Lite as well, if Nintendo had a more consumer friendly way to play DD on a Switch linked to the same account.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Should add an option for "OLED but it wasn't worth it because I ended up getting a Steam Deck"
Getting a Steam Deck with its basement-tier LCD made me realize how much I'd prefer to game on the Switch OLED just because of the screen quality.

StereoVsn

Getting a Steam Deck with its basement-tier LCD made me realize how much I'd prefer to game on the Switch OLED just because of the screen quality.
Eh, I prefer to game on the Steam Deck as it's much more comfortable handheld with better performance.

That said not a day goes by when I don't wish for a better screen even with a plugin that helos with vibrancy.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Eh, I prefer to game on the Steam Deck as it's much more comfortable handheld with better performance.

That said not a day goes by when I don't wish for a better screen even with a plugin that helos with vibrancy.
Steam Deck with an OLED screen would be such a dreamy handheld.

I'm still fine with the original V1 I have, though I have switched out the joycons for some dapper Skyward Sword ones. Not enamoured enough with the Switch to go out and spend full whack on another for a screen upgrade (the LCD screen is fine for portable & I can dock to an OLED anyway) and the lite just defeats the point of the Switch while giving off Fisher Price vibes, no need to move on from V1 for me.

I've bought five total, currently own three.

Launch-Day V1 (traded in to get V2)
Yellow Lite (for the kids, still have)
Monster Hunter Rise V2 (traded in to get OLED)
Blue Lite (for the wife, still have)
OLED (mine, still have)

Easily my most played console of the last six years. Majority of the time in handheld too, so the OLED is a no brainer. I don't have an OLED TV so the games actually look better handheld.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
That other than the enternet port, the upgrades were only to portable use.

Good god man, bought it thinking I'd use it portably more than I did, haven't done. That's literally it :messenger_tears_of_joy: I cannot predict the future and whether I'll actually end up using the thing

MAtgS

V1. Lite legit pisses me off with how much of a swing and a miss it is. I would honestly prefer the Lite but I can't get over A. the removal of docking as an option, & B. joycon drift still being a thing only now the sticks aren't as easily detachable or replaceable. Sometimes I think Nintendo should've just brought back circle pads.

jcorb

I had the original Switch for a while (got it pretty late into its lifespan already), but just got the TotK OLED model recently. I normally wouldn't advocate for it, but since I play in handheld mode exclusively (I don't even have a TV since moving a few months ago), I thought it seemed a worthwhile investment.

I probably wouldn't say it was worth the cost, but it *is* a very nice screen.

Sleepwalker

Unpatched early version so I can rip the games and play them via emulation on PC. No piracy. Legit, legal backups.
Only reason I keep my V1 too, except I end up just playing them on a switch oled most of the time cause I'm too lazy to rip them lol.

That might change when I come back to finish my TOTK save, I hit some parts where it chugged really bad into the teens and 20s framerate.

As for the topic at hand, we have a v1 and 2 oleds. One of the OLED doesn't have working bluetooth or wifi unless hardwired for internet via the dock. So its basically an offline portable device now (it detects some networks but not ours and it wont connect to the joycons while detached, truly baffling).

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I’m still on my V1.

I’ve been tempted to get an OLED several times over but felt like it’s just better to wait for the “Switch 2” since there was no change in internals.
Likewise, but that's what I started with recently. Sold new last year as my wife bought me a new console last year for my birthday. I almost always buy consoles on their last year of production or after a new console just came out. 6th and 7th gen were the only two gens I bought consoles close to launch unless for someone else. My wife's is V1 too and I bought that for her in early 2018 and almost seems like her battery holds a bit more charge than mine. Solid.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I have since 5 months ago the Switch OLED Pokemon Scarlet & Violet Edition because I like the design not the game itself. It is very colorful 😃

I then gave my "old" Switch to my kind young lesbian neighbors who got addicted to Animal Crossing & Mario Kart when I let them borrow it for about a year as I was busy with my PS5 & Xbox.

The OLED is truly delicious. I never used to play handheld but often do now because of how clear and crisp everything looks.

Top Bottom