• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which of the big 2023 games were you disappointed by and why?

Which of the big 2023 games have disappointed you?

• Total voters

LakeOf9

2023 has been a great year for games with some great non stop hits releasing one after the other. With so many big name major games coming from everywhere, it makes sense that some of them might end up being disappointing for some people. And that's okay, no game is for everyone.

So, out of all the big name 2023 games do you find disappointing and why?

Roufianos

Hogwarts needs to be on your poll. Turned out to be just a glorified Ubi game, for me anyway. Couldn't even finish it, despite loving the setting.

To be more positive though, loved RE4, FF16, Dead Space, Jedi (performance issues aside) and TotK has been enjoyable so far.

Last edited:

Hustler

None so far that I've played. RE4 Remake, SF6, FF16, TOTK, Diablo 4, Star Wars Jedi Survivor.. all have been great so far with the amount I have been able to play. I beat RE4, play the hell out of SF6, about to beat FF16 for the first time (yes the side quests can be a bit ill spaced and lacking at times), I've only played 5 hours of TOTK so I can't comment much on that game yet, Jedi Survivor I have to get back to, I'm about 5 hours into that game as well.

Can't wait to make time to play Dead Space Remake, I'll buy it when there's a decent sale for $30.

Stealth Edit: I would add Hogwarts to the list as my biggest disappointment, the game starts off reallllly strong and I loved playing with my daughter. And then it falls off a cliff and gets really repetitive and boring. It's just too long.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Diablo IV because of the nerfs and the devs dead set on preventing people from having fun.

Jedi Survivor because of the horrible performance issues, but a fantastic game otherwise.

Spyxos

Diablo 4 I was expecting a game for in between. Where I can just listen to podcasts on the side and just unwind. Unfortunately, I hardly liked anything about the game.

Edit: Did 40% really expect anything from Redfall?

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Hard for me disappointed by games these days because I only buy them when I’m absolutely sure I will love them.

$100 price point has me more selective than ever. I only buy sure fire bangers now.

Not sure I’d like ff16 so I didn’t spend $105 on it. Simple

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
The only one I've played is TotK and I'm not disappointed. I am disappointed Redfall turned out to be a bad as it looked. I thought it looked like crap but it's Arkane so I was hoping I was wrong.

TotK is good, but too similar to BotW. I did a grind to get my favorite tunic set and upgrade it all the way and since then my ambition to play the game has withered. It’s even more bloated than BotW, and exploring anywhere besides the sky or caves doesn’t feel new or interesting at all because I already played BotW.

It’s the first 3D Zelda game I don’t really care about finishing. I’d like it much more if it actually fixed BotW’s issues:
-The main dungeons are still sub-par
-There’s still a bunch of throwaway shrines; TotK kingdom actually has more
-Fuse only makes the durability slightly less annoying (I don’t hate durability, but fuse is literally a tacked on mechanic that adds even more steps to your moment-to-moment goals)
-Grinding to upgrade armor is a huge slog unless you dupe glitch
-The flashback style story beats make it so there can’t be really any story development in the present, beside “kill Ganon(dorf).”
-Overused Copy pasted overworld minibosses

The building mechanics are neat but encourage getting from point A to point B as quickly as possible and are antithetical to the comfy exploration established in BotW. It’s like they added it with only puzzles in mind. I think they would work much better if the majority of the game world was in the sky. Imagine if part of the game was being stuck in the sky because ‘dorf fucked up Hyrule so bad it’s either completely borked or uninhabitable. Then after accomplishing a dungeon, that region below the dungeon was restored. Something more creative would’ve been nice.

For a game that copy pasted most of its map, it doesn’t get the flak for doing so that other game franchises have. If it wasn’t called Zelda this would score 8’s at best (if you’re one to care about scores), and people would call it out more for being too derivative.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I bought Street Fighter 6 for the single player (so this is mostly on me for being disappointed, I guess). Big disappointment.

Why are all the characters so effeminate? Between the 5th Element Chris Tucker wannabe announcer and Luke being faggy, I bailed.

Gorgon

Didn't play any of those on the list 🤷‍♂️

Also, Hogwarths should also be there on the list? (didn't play that one either :ROFLMAO:)

Edit: other people mentioned it already. Sorry.

Last edited:
FFXVI and RE4.

Both demos totally turned me off and I decided I didnt need to play them anytime soon. I will get both much later.

bender

What time is it?
Diablo IV is one of my bigger disappointments in recent times. I remember when the original came out my freshman year of college and to see what they've turned into makes me feel both old and sad.

Resident Evil 4 Remake. It’s a good, decent game, that I think is grossly overrated and no where near the greatness of the original.

Final Fantasy 16. Unfortunately did not like this game much at all. A good story with a solid cast of characters and great voice acting, but terrible in almost everything else. Pacing, music, combat, are all subpar and even at its most grandiose (Eikon battles) it is the epitome of all style and no substance.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Redfall was kinda expected to be ass by me.
Star wars was fun but also annoying. I really hate the titanfall style level design. I shouldn’t be wall running and floating around for 45 seconds straight. And game ran like ass even on series x performance mode

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Redfall, TotK were not as good as I expected (on completely different levels obviously).

TotK I still cannot even find the motivation to move forward and finish, it’s so incredibly boring once you’ve done half of it or so.

So far I didn’t really enjoy or care for any of the big hitters overall.

Fire Emblem: Engage - Characters were way too animu and strange.

Redfall - Just... lol!

Final Fantasy XVI - Too much of an action title and no rpg elements to speak of.

Last edited:
Resi 4. Hate the way it controls. I really tried and even beat it but I just can't stand Capcom's bizarre idea of "realistic" movement of whatever that is supposed to be.

Game is way less fun than the original as far as I'm concerned.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Can’t say I was super excited, but Arkane usually ship very solid final products imo so there’s that. It’s sad to see their streak end.
It wasn't the Arkane that we all know and loved who made it. It was Arkane Austin, not the Lyon group who made Dishonored.

Personally I was pleasantly surprised by Redfall after all the negativity, I had no real interest but tried it on Game Pass and ended up really enjoying it even though the performance generally does suck at the moment. Still playing it now.

Roberts

I will get back to you when/if they ever release a 60 fps patch for Redfall si I can finally sit down and play it

Last edited:

Deerock71

Exoprimal. Downloaded it from Gamepass. Uninstalled from impressions.
aint nobody got time for that GIF

Personally I was pleasantly surprised by Redfall after all the negativity, I had no real interest but tried it on Game Pass and ended up really enjoying it even though the performance generally does suck at the moment. Still playing it now.

Any word on the 60 fps mode yet?
Resi 4. Hate the way it controls. I really tried and even beat it but I just can't stand Capcom's bizarre idea of "realistic" movement of whatever that is supposed to be.

Game is way less fun than the original as far as I'm concerned.

The movement in Re4 is terrible. Ashley ai is awful too.

It seems like 2023 should be one of the best years ever, but every big game ive bought has had some flaw that drags down the experience. Flaws that leave me scratching my head as to how they made it into the game or how something wasn't improved from its prequel.

Still good games but cant help feel like they should be better.

drganon

Of the ones I've played, I haven't been disappointed at all. Overall, I'd say it's been a pretty good year for games.

Laieon

TOTK. It's exactly what I was expecting it to be (a good game but, just like BOTW, really not what I want out of the series), and that's why it's the most disappointing. I miss my favorite series.

Ever since Diablo IV has come out I've really struggled to return to TOTK because I'm having a, no pun intended, hell of a lot more fun with Diablo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom