• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which of the big 2023 games were you disappointed by and why?

Which of the big 2023 games have disappointed you?

• Total voters

Pimpbaa

Redfall makes the rest of games in the list all look like the best games ever made. TOTK was only kinda disappointing to me because I played through BOTW a ton of times. Happening a lot this gen, sequels way too similar to the previous game (looking like Spider-Man 2 may be yet another one)

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Redfall by far. I just wanted an 80-ish kinda game to chill in for a bit that was fun. Got garbage instead.

TOTK also disappointed me, but only because expectations were astronimically high. It's a good game. But to me, it's not a great or anywhere near perfect game like the review scores would lead you to believe. I wanted better dungeons and meaningful exploration rewards and was disappointed that it only managed to deliver something I don't care much for - tinkering with building and sandboxy things.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Diablo IV. Had to buy it on PS5 because of no couch co-op on PC then had to buy fucking PSN. Not including a feature on PC because your fucking online solution is a system-level login is stupid. Make a guest login option through the game. Also the game was unplayable a couple of times due to online only. Playing couch co-op with my kid should not require online.

Neo_GAF

Banned
2023 isnt over, but i would say ff16 so far.
half of the games on the list i do not own, but ff16 is a very bad game. it looks good, but the fact, that it plays like dmc made for children is not good.

Mr Branding

Jedi Survivor. After a rough launch for Fallen Order I guessed that they won't repeat the same mistakes but I was oh so wrong. Too bad since the game is great, but technical issues are inexcusable to me especially considering the delays.

On the other side of the coin, I expected TOTK to be a BOTW DLC but it really surprised me and after 100hrs it's my GOTG and possibly GOAT.

Madflavor

No offense but I don't get how anyone could be disappointed by Diablo IV. You've basically been getting tricked by the exact same con artist for almost 10 years now. Every time you see him selling his product in that street corner you go "Oh no, you're not fooling me this time" and he suckers you again and again.

It's like a bad running joke in a sitcom at this point.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Redfall was a massive dud but at least for me watching some of the last videos that came out prior to launch you could see this disaster unfolding

Voted RE4R. It's a great game overall and everything, don't get me wrong. But I can't help but be disappointed by it. It does alot of things right but my greatest fear is that this version of RE4 will overwrite the true Resident Evil 4, released in 2005, the one that took 4 scrapped beta builds to get right and when it got it right, it got it right. Small subtle choices like only the handgun being allowed to have the laser, scrapped boss fight, etc. undermine the authenticity of this reimagining, just like the previous reimaginings of RE2 and RE3. At the very least, couldn't the OG RE4 have been included as an unlockable?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
5JIODkq.gif

How did Exoprimal make the list but Hogwartz Legacy, Fire Emblem Engage, WoLong, Minecraft Legends and Forspoken didnt?

Little Mac

Voted FFXVI for being an action game and not RPG. I was going to buy a PS5 for this game until I realized it’s a DMC game.

Voted Diablo 4 because its boring and annoying in its current state. Huge Diablo fan and this one hurts. I know it will improve in time but that game is a 6/10 in its current state.

Voted Redfall because it shouldn’t have been released in the state it launched in, and it made me question MS’s leadership and the quality of first party gamepass titles going forward.

Rough fucking year so far imo.

StueyDuck

Banned
I mean if I say the actual game I'll probably be assassinated by the rabid Fandom

But on that list I guess redfall as second then 🤷‍♂️ I wasn't looking forward to it but knowing it's arkane does sting

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Diablo 4. Felt great to play in the beta and most of the campaign, but it just... dunno, the entire endgame didn't grab me at all. Fell off it super hard. Shouldn't have paid full price.

Might get lynched but the RE4 remake just wasn't as cool as the RE2 remake and that's probably got a lot to do with the original still being a total banger. Felt like a sidegrade. Still great though.

Redfall never looked good.

Last edited:
The original RE 4 is fully available on modern platforms.
Good point.

I was frustrated at the time I made the post you replied to but I'm not that worried anymore. The OG RE4 is a legendary game for the ages and no doubt will gamers of all generations want to try it out :]

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Final Fantasy XVI was the biggest disappointment, that was the game that was going to make me buy a PS5.... now, after the reviews, it's left me waiting for a PC port and an eventual sale (on Steam)

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
No offense but I don't get how anyone could be disappointed by Diablo IV. You've basically been getting tricked by the exact same con artist for almost 10 years now. Every time you see him selling his product in that street corner you go "Oh no, you're not fooling me this time" and he suckers you again and again.

yeah, pretty much. the fact the series is still relevant after Path of Exile came out and humiliated Blizzard (for 10 years straight mind you) is so fucking weird.

Just play PoE and forget about Diablo

Sleepwalker

Diablo 4. It just wasnt very good.

I didnt vote redfall or exoprimal as i dont consider them big games, and exo is actually fun.

hinch7

Diablo 4 for me. I don't know.. the enjoyed playing the beta but the final game was a little underwhelming. Classes just didn't feel satifying to play and the level scaling and lackluster drops sapped the fun out of it.

Felt no incentive to play anymore after completion. Whereas on the previous game I played quite a bit, and loved the endgame. And to add, I got the game for free with my GPU. If I paid $70 for it, I'd be a little miffed as it was one of most anticipated titles, this year. I guess FF16 helped take the blow off that, since it came out shortly after and that was fantastic.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

In fairness it was my first diablo :p

Interfectum

In all fairness, I believe many individuals, myself included, were swayed to join the D4 hype train due to the overwhelming acclaim from both fans and the press. I had initially dismissed D4 until the chorus of "you have to try this" became too loud to ignore. However, after giving it a shot, my initial inclination to bypass it seemed validated.

sigmaZ

In all fairness, I believe many individuals, myself included, were swayed to join the D4 hype train due to the overwhelming acclaim from both fans and the press. I had initially dismissed D4 until the chorus of "you have to try this" became too loud to ignore. However, after giving it a shot, my initial inclination to bypass it seemed validated.
Deez Nuts GIF

StereoVsn

1. Redfall - not much to say here.
2. Jedi Survivor - performance is complete ass on PC at least. That was tremendously disappointing. They learned jack and shit after first buggy game (that I liked despite it's issues after patches).
3. Diablo IV - MMO Diablo was not what I was looking for. Constand character nerfs compounded that.
4. FFXVI - I was very disappointed in the direction SE took with the game. Linear character action game with some RPG elements and no party control, and poor side quests was underwhelming from numbered FF game.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I've only played Dead Space Remake and TotK on that list and despite enjoying it at first, TotK just fell off a cliff. Largely disappointing.

Roxkis_ii

Lucky, I haven't been
Disappointed by any games I've bought so far this year.

I've never played a Diablo game before, and I was really inching to try it out, but then whose patch notes came out, plus I heard the class I would main is weak as hell (sorcerer). I'm feeling like I dodged a bullet lol.

Laieon

That "con artist" has yet to produce a game that hasn't given me 50-200 hours of enjoyment, which is on average more than anyone else on the market for me personally (outside of maybe Paradox). Even the worst WoW expansions are fun for the first month or two.

The key is that when you recognize you're no longer having fun, step away and go play something else.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Redfall was a huge disappointment, not just for the shabby state it launched in, but for the serious lack of post launch effort to mitigate.

Final Fantasy XVI was a disappointment of another sort, a game that seemed great in the beginning, but which got worse as the game went on and never lived up to it's early promise.

Of the games I played on the list, TOTK for sure. Not nearly different enough, I was expecting so much more.

Pikmin4 will probably be the last game I buy on nintendo's weak ass hardware

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
TTOK because it is all busywork and no rewards. Game feels sterile too imo.

FF16 even tho I like it, I was hoping it was more of an RPG than it really is.

Diablo 4 post level 60 is not great and I don't feel like starting a new character for the season 1 thing.

Not mentioned but Parks Beyond because it is a broken Mess.

Top Bottom