• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which SIE Franchises need a reboot/remake?

Which SIE Franchises need a reboot/remake?

• Total voters
There's been a lot of discussions lately about Sony's first party and Microsoft's first party, which got me thinking. There was an era where Sony really tried to put out some interesting games, but maybe just lacked a bit of polish/budget/investment. As a result, many of their early franchises have gone by the wayside but could have a lot of potential in this day and age if done well. They're already looking at Twisted Metal, which we all think will be a F2P game.

Which franchises would you like to see return and how should they do it? Should SOCOM come back but as an FPS instead of a squad-based 3rd person shooter? There are a couple mentions that I left off the list either due to limited success, recency, or likelihood of coming back... franchises like Infamous, Warhawk, MAG, e.t.c. ultimately I ran out of space.

Markio128

I could have ticked all of them, but it was a final toss-up between Motorstorm and Resistance and Resistance just about got the vote. If Sony is lacking a first party genre, then it is the fps.

Mowcno

Jak and Daxter, Motorstorm, Sly Cooper, Resistance, Wipeout and Dark Cloud are the ones I picked.

Maybe Jak isn't necessary, have a feeling it wouldn't end up very good.

Jak and Daxter is my clear #1, but I'd also be interested to see a modern version of Killzone or Resistance. The rest I could take or leave

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Would love a remake of Resistance. Chances are they wouldn’t be able to use the church this time mind you.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
id love for there to be a knack 2 2

all jokes aside its a shame parappa only got 1 vote. (that being me) youd think with the success of Friday Night Funkin people would want the superior game it was based on to be brought back into the limelight

Last edited:

vivftp

maxresdefault.jpg

LordCBH

Resistance could really use it. I think it’s been long enough since the last entry that people might be receptive to one if its quality is good and the marketing is good. Voted Arc the Lad and LoD because I miss them a lot.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Resistance could really use it. I think it’s been long enough since the last entry that people might be receptive to one if its quality is good and the marketing is good.
also with Sony at risk of losing CoD i think it's better if they make their own premiere FPS franchise and grow the brand from there. if they play their cards right they could become the next cod in popularity

LordCBH

also with Sony at risk of losing CoD i think it's better if they make their own premiere FPS franchise and grow the brand from there. if they play their cards right they could become the next cod in popularity

To add to my post: I didn’t vote it, cause I like resistance more as an idea and setting, but SOCOM has languished in hell for far too long.

You missed a bunch of games. Where is the ico/shadow games, champions of norrath arpgs, and a few older indy games that never made the jump, my favorite being Tokyo jungle which I would love a reboot.

That being said from the list given, Resistance and motorstorm as full featured single player / multi player games (no battle Royale f2p shit). Socom could go that way too or maybe do it as a 3rd person game like confrontation. I loved socom on psp with fireteam bravo games.

I don't see them being bale to do these games today as all genZ Era multiplayer seems to have florescent pinks and purple cosmetics along with product placement or crazy stickers. I would hate playing socom and seeing some asshole dweeb spouting off with rap music blaring in his mic while having a pink hat and weed stickers on his AR. Even cod is like that now. Realistic military shooters aren't being made sadly.

lachesis

Jumping Flash. Preferably in VR.

(and they could include branded-bucket for unfortunate souls like me who can't do VR w/o motion sickness..)

You missed a bunch of games. Where is the ico/shadow games, champions of norrath arpgs, and a few older indy games that never made the jump, my favorite being Tokyo jungle which I would love a reboot.

That being said from the list given, Resistance and motorstorm as full featured single player / multi player games (no battle Royale f2p shit). Socom could go that way too or maybe do it as a 3rd person game like confrontation. I loved socom on psp with fireteam bravo games.

I don't see them being bale to do these games today as all genZ Era multiplayer seems to have florescent pinks and purple cosmetics along with product placement or crazy stickers. I would hate playing socom and seeing some asshole dweeb spouting off with rap music blaring in his mic while having a pink hat and weed stickers on his AR. Even cod is like that now. Realistic military shooters aren't being made sadly.

there are a limited number of slots for polls as I mentioned in the OP and reasons why I didn't select certain games.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Jumping Flash. Preferably in VR.
wish they posted that in the poll, that game would work great. I think first person platforming has a ton of potential but there arent a lot of games that explore the genre outside of mirrors edge and ofc jumping flash
and they could include branded-bucket for unfortunate souls like me who can't do VR w/o motion sickness..
or a flat version so you can enjoy it without blowing chucks... the game would hopefully be just as good without vr

Ar¢tos

I would kinda like to see how Agony and Alundra would look remade with modern tech , but at the same time I don't want my memories of those games ruined by "modern game design".

HTK

Banned
There's been a lot of discussions lately about Sony's first party and Microsoft's first party, which got me thinking. There was an era where Sony really tried to put out some interesting games, but maybe just lacked a bit of polish/budget/investment. As a result, many of their early franchises have gone by the wayside but could have a lot of potential in this day and age if done well. They're already looking at Twisted Metal, which we all think will be a F2P game.

Which franchises would you like to see return and how should they do it? Should SOCOM come back but as an FPS instead of a squad-based 3rd person shooter? There are a couple mentions that I left off the list either due to limited success, recency, or likelihood of coming back... franchises like Infamous, Warhawk, MAG, e.t.c. ultimately I ran out of space.
SOCOM should absolutely not come back as an FPS, they got plenty of established FPS games: MAG, Resistance, Killzone. SOCOM needs to stay SOCOM.

Ive voted for all the shooters in that poll, Sony hasn’t done anything for that crowd since the PS3.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Colony Wars.

Easily the best console space shooter. It died after I think 3 games. I guess sales were so bad they never bothered making more.

In modern day, you still got space epic kinds of games, so it could work. Most of the other games on the list wouldnt work for another remake, or has already been tried recently and failed.

nowhat

Wipeout Omega Collection was great, also in PSVR. But it's still just remaking old games.

A fresh Wipeout, in PSVR 2, would get me to preorder the upcoming headset.

Toss in Alundra, Legend of Legaia, Wild Arms and Rule of Rose.
Holy shit forgot about those being Sony first party. We're these all studio Japan or someone else back then? Either way I loved legaia. Was so unique with the combat engine rpg. We will sadly probably never get a sequel to any of these.

Killzone, Warhawk and Colony Wars.

The latter especially is ready for full remake goodness.

Space combat gamers are frankly fucking starved. There just aren't too many games like Colony Wars and Wing Commander. Sony could completely come in and own it with the CW franchise. The first two games (never played Red Sun) were so fucking epic, and so even just the thought of these games being fully remade in a modern engine like Decima/UE5 with all the glorious graphical bells and whistles.....

Sweating James Mcavoy GIF

nial

Gold Member
Let's all be serious, Wipeout is the most likely to get a PS5 game out of those (and that's a good thing).

NahaNago

I really want a Jak and Daxter game. An Infamous remake would be nice as well.

Did not know Sony did Coolboarders. I'd like a reboot of that as well.

I'm not sure if it ever was but if Killzone is in third person, for the reboot, I'd be down for it.

I'd also like an Ape Escape reboot as well. I thought the game looked interesting in the past but never actually bought the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom