• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Xbox for a 1080p TV.

Corrik

I know the obvious answer on paper is the Series S, but are there benefits to having the Series X on a 1080p TV or do you have to have a 4k TV to realize those benefits?

I feel like Microsoft is doing a bad job explaining this clearly.

You'll be just fine with a series S at that resolution. 4K assets and all kinds of post processing would be a huge waste having to look through all that blur or pixilation...

Kagey K

Banned
The Series X will downsample to 1080p on your tv so the image will be a bit cleaner, but it’s a bit overkill.

You really need a 4K tv to take advantage of most of the features the system offers.

If you plan on purchasing a 4K tv before the end of this gen you get the benefit of the extra bits of the X on your 1080 plus future proofing yourself for your new tv.

Armorian

Banned
You'll be just fine with a series S at that resolution. 4K assets and all kinds of post processing would be a huge waste having to look through all that blur or pixilation...

LOL? Depending on viewing distance and TV size IQ should be bery good with downsampling.

Series S is the perfect console for a 1080p TV, but like others have said, if you’ve got the cash for a Series X...why not splurge?

There will be games for it below 1080p...

Plus you are setting yourself for shit textures and maybe lower quality RT (way less CUs to process that).

Last edited:

Corrik

It's more than a resolution bump, imo. Xsx editions may have more bells and whistles.

Plus, are you certain you'll be sticking with a 1080p tv for the next seven years?
Well, I am getting a Series X for my room. My kids tv is only 1080p TV and he gets a new TV whenever we get a new living room one or such (which is 4k). Thus, it is possible a 4k tv could come in the future for him, but it is also possible there is a new model by then also.

I just don't know if I see a reason to get the lesser console if there is going to be other benefits also realized from the Series X still at 1080p.

LOL? Depending on viewing distance and TV size IQ should be bery good with downsampling.

There will be games for it below 1080p...

Plus you are setting yourself for shit textures and maybe lower quality RT (way less CUs to process that).

I honestly didn't know that it would downsample. That's actually pretty great and yeah, would make a diff. But...

Well, I am getting a Series X for my room. My kids tv is only 1080p TV and he gets a new TV whenever we get a new living room one or such (which is 4k). Thus, it is possible a 4k tv could come in the future for him, but it is also possible there is a new model by then also.

I just don't know if I see a reason to get the lesser console if there is going to be other benefits also realized from the Series X still at 1080p.

I didn't know about the downsampling which would actually make a noticeable difference on the Series X even on that screen. However, yeah, personally, if it where for my kids I'd get the Series S. That's what I plan to do for a birthday or something. If they want a series X we'll work out a way for them to do some labor for it and earn it. But I'd be a ok with them using and abusing the series s as it's relatively cheap.

Neo_game

It's more than a resolution bump, imo. Xsx editions may have more bells and whistles.

Plus, are you certain you'll be sticking with a 1080p tv for the next seven years?

I am not sure about it. It will be like current gen with the S and the X. SX probably will have better textures and may be SS will lack any implementation of RT.

In this case I'd get one of each, just for the variety of it

Aladin

Fu#k the disc. On xbox, You can share and play a digital game on two devices simultaneously. Go with Series S, wait for digital prices to drop to 20-30$.

ZywyPL

Banned
Bigger storage drive would be the most noticeable difference. Also, downscaled 4K looks super duper crisp on FHD display thanks to perfect 4x scaling. And possibly there will be high refresh 1080p modes on XBX, but that's just my personal guess.

Don't believe the hype!

Series X is more than a 4k console. Games will always look and run and play better on SX. 4k is looking so good on a 1080p screen.

And X has a disc drive which means "welcome to the world of the 2nd hand market my friend" and "let's watch some dvd". Fuck digital hardware only.

Last edited:

Three

I know the obvious answer on paper is the Series S, but are there benefits to having the Series X on a 1080p TV or do you have to have a 4k TV to realize those benefits?

I feel like Microsoft is doing a bad job explaining this clearly.
Don't listen to the bullshit that the Series S is like a Series X but lower res. It will end up having missing effects and poor framerate too.

Last edited:

Tulipanzo

Get the Series X.
The specs on Series S will require more severe cuts than just resolution, and poor optimisation is already rearing its head.

Unless you specifically know ahead which games you'll buy and if they run decent, avoid it and get a Series X.
Just having a disc-drive will already save you more than $200.

I'd still go for the X because no matter what, you'll get the full fat version of the game, all bells and whistles attached and probably downsampled from 4k+ to 1080p for a much higher detailed version of the game at 1080p itself, if that makes sense.

Thats what they did on the One X, if the games was 4K but you were running 1080p they would downsample to that resolution but everything else like character textures and world were massively upgraded.

XSS is "just" good enough to roughly match the same game quality at lower resolutions but i think they will suffer more than just res so X to be safe.

An actual demonstration of what i was just describing ^

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
X obviously, since it downsample everything to lower resolution, which is better than any AA solution. Also it has mechanical drive, which seems to be the selling point at thies day and age.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Do you want to play old disks? Do you care what the box looks like? Obviously the X has better specs and a 4K Tv is always a possibility in the future. But that extra 200 bucks is half way to a PS5 DE.

Sharper image quality, most likely better effects like ray tracing, a disc drive and the benefits that brings like cheaper games, lessening the need to download, being able to play 4K Blu Ray and save money on game purchases, and of course it will still be useful should you get a new TV in the next 8 years or so.

Of course there's also the third option of a PC. A 3060 and mid range Ryzen 3 would likely be about on a par with the XSX as well as having access to all the same games.

Top Bottom