• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White girl attacked for getting box braids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or a much simpler alternative to your suggestion would be to simply...stop oppressing other groups? I dunno just throwing that crazy idea out there.

If we lived in a country in which everyone was equal and no one group was oppressed then there wouldn't be nearly as much fuss about cultural appropriation.

If Americans really want blacks to stop complaining about cultural appropriation, all America really has to do is stop treating blacks like second class citizens, segregating them, disenfranchising them, using them as scapegoats.

This, too.

You think hairstyle choices can opress anyone?

You're missing it. You said culture, there is more to culture than hair. You made the silly suggestion that white people stop borrowing other cultures.

I refuted giving you a much simpler solution to America's problems...simply stop oppressing other groups. By doing so those groups are much less likely to complain about cultural appropriation. The more you oppress the more groups are going to cry out about cultural appropriation, they're intrinsically linked together.

Clinton514

Are some of these tweets even directed at her? I just looked up a couple and they don't seem to be linking or replying to her.

AlexBasch

I'm guessing this was the true intent behind the term "social justice warrior" before it became a term of ignorance. This absolutely ignorant behavior that fails to understand and cheapens valid attempts to point out social issues.
Yeah, that was the original intent, at least for me, for the whole "social justice warrior" thing. Someone who wants to be in 'the right' by being obnoxious, and trying to score points with the "good side", except they're completely wrong.

Like some white people that want to teach people from other races/ethnicities how something is racist towards their culture. Since they're dumb and won't know unless the educated white man tells them so.
I'm aware I got a bit carried away, but couldn't help but shake my head at mach speed when an American white girl was trying to teach how "Dia de los Muertos" is celebrated in Mexico; how it's being 'stolen' by cultural appropiation, and she was completely wrong about it.

FDC1

I'll say what I can in a manner that's allowed.

Your reliance on ignorant here is telling. Why does her "ignorance", giving you the assumption that you're using the word in a benign dictionary-definition way, matter? A kid of some age (14ish?) got a new hairdo. Why is ignorance about cultural appropriation, exploitation, etc. relevant to her decision? Do you have an expectation she would have made a different decision if she were "enlightened"?

I always consult my lawyer before changing my haircut, don't you?

man, i can't believe EA made the RPG a pickup item in Hardline.

image.php

The braids looks great. She did no wrong and shouldn't have to apologize for anything. Those racist tweets are ugly.

but they don't look great! it's almost like i have to pull out an image editing program and point out all the sloppiness in the job the hairstylist did.

Izuna

Banned
I agree and at no point did I suggest she did do anything nor was I even talking about her. I'm clearly talking about the state of America in general.

Okay fair enough, but what if this girl turns around and says she doesn't respect the idea of cultural appropriation and says how it doesn't apply to her because she didn't do anything?

Would she then, through complaining, be America?

No one has any right to blame this girl for what she did and if black females (I assume they are on twitter) are complaining to her, that means they blame her.

Rembrandt

Banned
How do you know that's exactly what happened? Now you're making excuses in an attempt to justify their bullshit. Listen, there absolutely is a place to discuss perceptions of a culture being appropriated for profit. But going in on a child on twitter ain't the time and place.

All the history of oppression doesn't justify that bullshit. I know how my mother was regarded with her hair in the 60's and 70's and 80's. I know what my sister went through perming her hair until she said "Fuck it" and now rocks braids. But nah, I'm not gonna cosign shitting on a fucking kid cause she got braids.

Your insecurity doesn't give you the right to shit on a kid on twitter. And that was my entire point from the start.

I'm assuming as black women, they're well versed in the bullshit black women go through. I didn't say it was. I'm saying that there is some justification/truth to the comments even if they weren't exactly appropriate. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying she was a valid target or even that she did anything wrong. I'm just not saying they're insecure or they don't have a point with their comments.

collige

Banned
If we lived in a country in which everyone was equal and no one group was oppressed then there wouldn't be nearly as much fuss about cultural appropriation.

If Americans really want blacks to stop complaining about cultural appropriation, all America really has to do is stop treating blacks like second class citizens, segregating them, disenfranchising them, using them as scapegoats.

People should be complaining about the segregation, disenfranchisement, etc instead of behavior that has no moral problems on its own. This is a "two wrongs don't make a right" situation.

Cream

Banned
Okay fair enough, but what if this girl turns around and says she doesn't respect the idea of cultural appropriation and says how it doesn't apply to her because she didn't do anything?

Would she then, through complaining, be America?

No one has any right to blame this girl for what she did and if black females (I assume they are on twitter) are complaining to her, that means they blame her.

Yes.

If the girl did literally say she doesn't respect the idea of cultural appropriation then that would show her outward ignorance and disrespect for black people.

I_D

It would be like this:

You are a super cool guy. You do a lot of super cool things, and invent new cool things without even thinking about it. You are proud of the cool things you come up with. They define who you are.

But a lot of people you know take those cool things you do, and they get recognized for it, over and over again. Those cool things become super popular. But not you.

Meanwhile, all the people that like that cool thing don't like you.

This idea of hair culture is very new to me, so this is a legitimate question:

This hypothetical situation makes perfect sense the way you've described it, but does this actually happen in the real world?

Music, hair styles, clothing choices, etc. are not owned by any culture or race. To assume, like in the OP, that black people own a certain choice and other races can't use it is nothing but racism, and it doesn't really match your hypothetical at all.

So when does this actually happen? When was the last time somebody invented awesome things, had all of his/her achievements taken from them, watched as others got rich on his ideas, and then was shunned by the masses?

I know another group of people that think we should keep cultures "pure"...

Holy shit, did you just compare this to Nazism?

Your reliance on ignorant here is telling. Why does her "ignorance", giving you the assumption that you're using the word in a benign dictionary-definition way, matter? A kid of some age (14ish?) got a new hairdo. From the OP, that's all that took place: got braids, posted pic. Wholly, not fairly, innocent. Why is ignorance about cultural appropriation, exploitation, etc. relevant to her decision? Do you have an expectation she would have made a different decision -- i.e. not getting braids -- if she were "enlightened" on the issue, rather than ignorant?

I'm not sure why you're harping on this point--I'm basically saying that her ignorance gives her the benefit of the doubt.

And yes, I do think that if she had been educated on how black culture has gone through cycles of exploitation, appropriation, and denigration, it may have influenced her decision. Is this so unbelievable?

FDC1

You're missing it. You said culture, there is more to culture than hair. You made the silly suggestion that white people stop borrowing other cultures.

I refuted giving you a much simpler solution to America's problems...simply stop oppressing other groups.

Culture is done to be borrowed, shared, transformed. You don't ask permission for that.

Cream

Banned

This hypothetical situation makes perfect sense the way you've described it, but does this actually happen in the real world?

Music, hair styles, clothing choices, etc. are not owned by any culture or race. To assume, like in the OP, that black people own a certain choice and other races can't use it is nothing but racism, and it doesn't really match your hypothetical at all.

So when does this actually happen? When was the last time somebody invented awesome things, had all of his/her achievements taken from them, watched as others got rich on his ideas, and then was shunned by the masses?

I'll give you the one big example:

Almost all modern music made from the 20th century onward.

Wiktor

I refuted giving you a much simpler solution to America's problems...simply stop oppressing other groups.
Angry mobs attacking little girls for their hairstyle choices sure won't help in achieving that. it wil do the opposite.
You've given explanation why those people feel outraged, but this just gives expalantion why they are acting dumb. It doesn't make their actions sensible or not worthy of calling out.

I refuted giving you a much simpler solution to America's problems...simply stop oppressing other groups. By doing so those groups are much less likely to complain about cultural appropriation. The more you oppress the more groups are going to cry out about cultural appropriation, they're intrinsically linked together.

hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha

hold up....

you want the oppression to just stop?

the profiling by cops?

the profiling by HR departments?

the news reports where you can tell the race of the perp in a few short words?

the systematic destruction of schools?

the imbalance in the passing and enforcing of laws designed to put more minorities in jail?

go back in time and reverse highway construction from running thru minority communities?

madness. PURE MADNESS!!!

Izuna

Banned
Yes.

If the girl did literally say she doesn't respect the idea of cultural appropriation then that would show her outward ignorance and disrespect for black people.

Okay I worded that wrong, so to be sure... If she said it doesn't apply to her hair.

tbm24

Holy shit, did you just compare this to Nazism?

I'm not sure why you're harping on this point--I'm basically saying that her ignorance gives her the benefit of the doubt.

And yes, I do think that if she had been educated on how black culture has gone through cycles of exploitation, appropriation, and denigration, it may have influenced her decision. Is this so unbelievable?

Alright in this case, if she was educated on the matter and then opted out of not braiding her hair, what was gained?

This reminds me of the time a friend and I just got out of school. He, a white boy, put on a FUBU hoodie. This black woman appeared almost out of nowhere and started screaming in his face. "WHAT YOU WEARING THAT FOR WHITE BOY? THAT'S FOR BLACK PEOPLE! IT MEANS 'FOR US BY US' DON'T YOU KNOW ANYTHING?! YOU WHITES THINK YOU CAN HAVE EVERYTHING!"

He never wore that hoodie again.

That is all. Nice hair etc. etc.

Bro, you're going down a weird path here and making some strange extrapolations.

The issue isn't innocuous cultural "assimilation" or "appreciation" or anything like that.

In this specific case, it doesn't fit the typical vein of cultural appropriation, in which one culture (in America's case, usually white people) take something from another culture and it suddenly becomes cool/beautiful/bold/daring/etc. This happens a lot. It happened numerous times last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, etc. Hip-hop/rap is rife with it.

I think that what Cream and Rembrandt are both saying is that, this girl is fairly innocent via her ignorance (although that's not always a good excuse), but there absolutely IS a precedent for the "outrage" displayed here, and it's not rooted in insecurity or some kind of "reverse racism". It's rooted in reality.

Actually, they DO get called out for appropriation, it's just that no one notices. Even Eminem called out Elvis (and himself) for their appropriation and getting rich off black music/style.
I think it actually is rooted insecurity from indirect and direct racism and systematic racism along with society. Society shows long straight hair as beautiful and its advertised in just about all shampoo adds and is all over the covers of magazines so allot of black women adopted the perms and weaves to look and feel beautiful as nappy has often been looked down upon and negatively judged. Braids have been a huge representation of african culture and have often been scrutinized and made a mockery of by whites. This young girl wearing the braids doesn't deserve to be attacked though. Tommy Sotomayor would call these angry black women black beasties and I would agree with him on that one. They have the nerve to flip out on this little kid for getting braids when they are getting weaves, perms and dying there hair blonde.

I'm assuming as black women, they're well versed in the bullshit black women go through. I didn't say it was. I'm saying that there is some justification/truth to the comments even if they weren't exactly appropriate. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying she was a valid target or even that she did anything wrong. I'm just not saying they're insecure or they don't have a point with their comments.

I feel you. But I'm just saying if someone can't put their feelings about white people appropriating culture in context and realize this is a 14 year old child they going HAM on then they're ignorant and insecure.

G.ZZZ

Literally all the time in the course of history. Marconi, Edison, Al-Khawarizmi, Watson and Crick etc..

Cream

Banned
Ding Ding Ding! Winner!

No one is saying they can't USE it, and that black people own it.

We are just saying, that while we are being super oppressed and there is a lot of institutionalized racism, to show a little compassion and respect, and understand why it may be a sore spot.

SonnyBoy

First and foremost the attacks on the girl were disgusting and vile. She didn't deserve that.

Secondly, black woman often feel traumatized from a very early age about their hair and bodies. A lot of women feel as though their traits (be it hair of body type) aren't deemed acceptable until fairer skinned women do it... Right or wrong, that's how they feel.

I think it pains some people to see someone who has "acceptable" hair, mimic a hairstyle that they need to do out of necessity and conformity. I think it angers them and they lash out.

I tried to word that as diplomatically as possible and don't mean to offend anyone.

Angry mobs attacking little girls for their hairstyle choices sure won't help in achieving that. it wil do the opposite.
You've given explanation why those people feel outraged, but this just gives expalantion why they are acting dumb. It doesn't make their actions sensible or not worthy of calling out.

/thread.

Izuna

Banned
Alright in this case, if she was educated on the matter and then opted out of not braiding her hair, what was gained?

Nothing. She would never be allowed to grow up free of racism. Now she will watch what she says and apologise when she mentions a black board and overcompensate when she is around blacks.

Forever looking in the mirror of how stylish she looked but despite not even being a natural hair formation, she is not allowed. Hell, if only she was able to invent it, but it was already invented by blacks so she must tell her kids it is taboo.

That is cultural segregation and it does not combat racism, it fuels it.

Rembrandt

Banned
I feel you. But I'm just saying if someone can't put their feelings about white people appropriating culture in context and realize this is a 14 year old child they going HAM on then they're ignorant and insecure.

I get what you're saying and you're right. The tweets were harsh and if they wanted to make points, there were better ways to do it. That's twitter, though. I do feel bad for her, but she seemed to learn from the comments and if she did, then I hope she continues to rock it. I feel like the nice tweets would have been ignored like Q-Tip's tweets to Iggy.

That's a bit like saying texmex food is racist because it doesn't acknowledge the racist and political reality of immigration and deportation.

How is it anything like that?

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
No one is saying they can't USE it, and that black people own it.

We are just saying, that while we are being super oppressed and there is a lot of institutionalized racism, to show a little compassion and respect, and understand why it may be a sore spot.
That's a bit like saying texmex food is racist because it doesn't acknowledge the racist and political reality of immigration and deportation.

First and foremost the attacks on the girl were disgusting and vile. She didn't deserve that.

Secondly, black woman often feel traumatized from a very early age about their hair and bodies. A lot of women feel as though their traits (be it hair of body type) aren't deemed acceptable until fairer skinned women do it... Right or wrong, that's how they feel.

I think it pains some people to see someone who has "acceptable" hair, mimic a hairstyle that they need to do out of necessity and conformity. I think it angers them and they lash out.

I tried to word that as diplomatically as possible and don't mean to offend anyone.
great post and worded very well and I agree.

Nothing. She would never be allowed to grow up free of racism. Now she will watch what she says and apologise when she mentions a black board and overcompensate when she is around blacks.

Forever looking in the mirror of how stylish she looked but despite not even being a natural hair formation, she is not allowed. Hell, if only she was able to invent it, but it was already invented by blacks so she must tell her kids it is taboo.

That is cultural segregation and it does not combat racism, it fuels it.

Preach-tumblr.gif

Izuna

Banned
...appreciation for a culture that is systematically oppressed and a greater understanding for why/how?

You mean colour don't you?

"Black culture" is something that needs to have no particular name. I grew up on Chris Rock comedy too but don't we all hope for it actually have no meaning since we would judge the individual and not the colour of their skin?

This argument is really just going to reinforce people to think about black culture, and black growing up who are not part of it will feel both left out and labelled as practicing white culture.

tbm24

...appreciation for a culture that is systematically oppressed and a greater understanding for why/how?

That's great, and if she understood and respected all of that but decided to still braid her hair and I asked you the same question. Would your response be the same?

I think she looks good. Sucks she's getting hammered over this. I get the frustrations. But they, IMO, highlight the same problems in society that are also highlighted by the societal pressures that force black people into straight hair. Ideally people should be able to wear whatever they like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom