• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White House wants more budget cuts to finance the wall and army

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

President Donald Trump asked Congress to slash nearly $18 billion from medical research, education and other programs for the remainder of the current fiscal year to finance construction of a border wall and build up the military.

The recommended cuts, which are likely to be rejected by Congress, would partially offset a $30 billion increase Trump has requested for defense and border security. The cuts were detailed in a list the White House budget office sent to the House and Senate Appropriations committees on Friday.

A senior Republican appropriator, Senator Roy Blunt of Missouri, suggested Tuesday that Republicans and Democrats are negotiating a spending bill that likely won’t include Trump’s supplemental request for extra defense spending and the cuts he’s proposed to pay for it.

Many of the cuts proposed in the Office of Management and Budget’s document are aligned with reductions Trump has recommended in his budget for fiscal 2018, which begins Oct. 1. They include slashing funding for education, health research, foreign aid and housing.

Trump proposed cutting the Education Department’s budget in fiscal 2017 by about $3 billion, including $1 billion each for Pell Grant rescissions and funding for teacher training and class-size reduction.

More here

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...earch-education-cuts-to-pay-for-wall-military

Bonus

The push to end homelessness among veterans would suffer without the US Interagency Council on Homelessness, which is up for elimination under President Donald Trump's proposed budget, non-profits and local officials say.

The council coordinates the efforts of 19 federal agencies that play a role in preventing and ending homelessness among all Americans. But the strides made with the subset of veterans - for whom homelessness has been effectively ended in three states and dozens of communities amid a concerted effort - make the proposed cuts particularly upsetting to advocates.

Homeless advocates in any given state consult the council, whose annual budget is about $3.5 million, on which strategies are working elsewhere as they seek to house veterans. They worry momentum will slow.

“We've learned how to end homelessness,” said Nonie Brennan, chief executive of the nonprofit All Chicago. “It would be a tremendous shame if we were not able to continue to implement these strategies in our communities across the country.”

Fun fact: Melania living for two weeks in the Trump Tower costs the tax payer more than aforementioned program.

More here

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ragency-council-on-us-president-a7654091.html

Lock if old

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I hate these people. They are just pure evil.

Ithil

Who needs education and medical research when you can have a wall that doesn't work to address a problem that barely exists?

jimmypython

"take our country back!"

this is awful....

Well I guess a lot of people did want the wall. They just didn't realize everyone has to pay for it...

Dai101

Banned
LOL

He dropped already the stupid pretense that we were going to pay for it.

Chinga tu madre cerote naranja.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
President Donald Trump asked Congress to slash nearly $18 billion from medical research, education and other programs for the remainder of the current fiscal year to finance construction of a border wall and build up the military.

hXWbQ5y.png

Salamando

A shrewd business man would realize they could solve both problems by turning the wall into a giant 2000 mile long homeless shelter. Let homeless vets patrol the border in exchange for room and board!

The GOP in a nutshell: gut all the assistance programs, bulk up the military even more, and plot needless wars in oil rich countries that can be extremely lucrative for special interests and lobbyists.

Will this be the most money any country has ever spent on a "monument"? Has to be. I have heard of some expensive parks/statue's/etc but this is just insane.

With how much he's been pushing for this wall, you have to wonder if he has some stake in a brick laying company or something...

slashing funding for education, health research, foreign aid and housing.

So make people stupid, sick and homeless so you can keep the Mexicans out. Good plan you fucking idiot. Fuck I hate this guy.

With how much he's been pushing for this wall, you have to wonder if he has some stake in a brick laying company or something...

He's pushing for the wall because it is a very tangible thing the idiots who voted him in can understand.

It's also going to be a big part of Trump's downfall when he fails spectacularly on delivering it.

I was just thinking about this the other day. "There's no way Trump would ever cut cancer and other medical research to spend on the military and the wall, right?"

Think I'm done with try to guess what else he's going to do to make sure we all suffer.

This is one of those times I wouldnt mind a clickbaity title. "Trump wants to cut cancer research to make more bombs and build a wall"

Even if Trump builds the gigantic piece of shit, it's going to get picked apart before long.

There's not enough manpower to keep watch over it, not to mention the billions required every year to maintain the fucking thing.

The Wall ain't happening, and I look forward to Trump inevitably telling everyone "Wall? What wall? I didn't want to build a wall!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom