• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White lines as rain, why haven't devs improved this yet?

majik13

Done right you wouldn't be able to see it. Often in movies the filmmakers will add milk to the rainwater so it shows up on camera, which is probably where the "white lines" depiction of rain in games comes from in the first place.

didnt know this but makes sense i guess. I was always taught and done on my own that, you just need to light it from behind, same with smoke, steam, etc for them to show up in footage, as opposed to lighting it from the front.

Kamina

Golden Boy
ibeMlGoeYZLynX.gif
I always though it only looks so bad because its being illuminated by these strong lights.

DOWN

Banned
The Assassin's Creed engine has a bit of a flat look. Good rain for the style, but the engine almost renders things in a matte micro-dot painting. Just not super dimensional, though Unity looks like it will change that quite a bit.

CREMSteve

It's not rain, but to date, no one has topped the falling snow in Resistance.

2DDlk6C.gif

They pretty much nailed it. Which made their water effects being so meh, so damn disappointing.

SerTapTap

It's not rain, but to date, no one has topped the falling snow in Resistance.

They pretty much nailed it. Which made their water effects being so meh, so damn disappointing.

Glitchy gif, but yeah snow in Resistence was fantastic.
Resistance Collection when

CREMSteve

Okay so realistic rain. DC has some of the best I've seen and it still looks like white streaks right

01_by_gavinuk86-d7puavy.gif

Yeah, that looks good. I like the way driving faster affects the trajectory of the droplets falling. I wonder if you stop the car, does water pool on the vehicle or stream off of it in some way, like it does while driving?

CREMSteve

Some of these look nice, I guess it depends on how you implement it.

PS: SNK 4 EVA

tumblr_mvwgr8PxyT1sv551qo5_1280.gif

See how the rain effect shows it streaming off of the structures? That effect seems really hard to implement in a realistic fashion while also nailing the falling effect.

CREMSteve

Falling rain in Uncharted wasn't anything to write home about, but I love how Drake actually gets wetter over time, and the puddles, my goodness the puddles.

2567255-9862214069-24926.gif

Gamespot gif, hopefully it allows hotlink.

DieH@rd

Banned
Arkham Knight has awesome rain that is made from individual drops that can be illuminated by surrounding lights.
kfehyy.gif

During that "3 enemy takedown" segment shown in E3 demo, time slows down, and individual drops can be seen quite nicely! [source shitty YouTube encode]

Camera rotating wildly to the side & very slow timeflow:
nejkrn.png

mthhvd.png

Camera stationary & very slow timeflow:
bfhpxb.png

Where was this video shot?
Devs released two 15sec weather videos on Facebook&Vine few weeks ago.

SerTapTap

Some of these look nice, I guess it depends on how you implement it.

PS: SNK 4 EVA

tumblr_mvwgr8PxyT1sv551qo5_1280.gif

Unf I wish someone still did fighting game backgrounds like this. Skullgirls characters look amazing but the backgrounds are just okay. I can't recall if KOF13 backgrounds are up to snuff, haven't played it much. Characters look good though.

CREMSteve

Arkham Knight has awesome rain that is made from individual drops that can be illuminated by surrounding lights.
kfehyy.gif

I really like this one. You can tell those aren't white lines, they appear to be actual streams of water, broken into droplets. Looks cool.

Jigolo

kfehyy.gif

During that "3 enemy takedown" segment shown in E3 demo, time slows down, and individual drops can be seen quite nicely! [source shitty YouTube encode]

Camera rotating wildly to the side & very slow timeflow:
nejkrn.png

mthhvd.png

Camera stationary & very slow timeflow:
bfhpxb.png

I think we have a winner here. That is the most impressive video game rain I've ever seen.

quetz67

Banned
Done right you wouldn't be able to see it. Often in movies the filmmakers will add milk to the rainwater so it shows up on camera, which is probably where the "white lines" depiction of rain in games comes from in the first place.

yeah, you are right:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkgMSCD-sDY

the many raindrops actually look rather like fog.

but actually, besides the "white line" rain, Driveclub simulates that "fog" quite well, thats why it looks so realistic

Vash63

I thought Ground Zeroes' rain was pretty awesome. The reflex mode individual droplets looked great and then going back to full screen seemed really seamless.

RP912

Banned
Gran Turismo 5 had amazing rain effects in the trailer but the game however....

0.jpg

Looks like droplets of milk

w00zey

Interesting. I was always under the impression they increased the size of the droplets.

Top Bottom