• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White lines as rain, why haven't devs improved this yet?

Stevey

Dawn of War II with rain on High looks good IMO.

B65D2A2FD33DAA2D6F7012EA3EE22079B3E528EF

Looks better in motion.

lt519

Most people are confusing good rain with nice looking puddles and wet atmospheres. This looks good right? *posts picture with white rain*

That Ryse one is getting closer, the rain is only visible when its really distorting back light. I posted the Mario 3D World to show that you don't see the rain, but you see the distortion it causes when it lands on a camera.

digdug2k

I don't think white lines is really that bad of an approximation. Look up photos of rain. Most of them range from nothing to white dots to white lines depending on the speed of the film being used and the size/how hard its raining (its white because the scene is being lit with white light and its a specular reflection).

Anarion07

I don't think white lines is really that bad of an approximation. Look up photos of rain. Most of them range from nothing to white dots to white lines depending on the speed of the film being used and the size/how hard its raining (its white because the scene is being lit with white light and its a specular reflection).

Basically this.
I read that rain drops fall at about 9 m/s...
so even at 60 FPS, thats a 15 cm (edit: 5,9 inches) fall in 1 frame.
You'd need a beast of a rig to get to framerates where you can see individual drops

patientx

Speaking of GT here have some Project Cars.

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCmTv3fceR4

They are getting better lately, with the full weather effects, it is really exciting to race in thunderstorm at dusk :)

Code:
http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/07/23/new-project-cars-screens-rain-down-with-dynamic-effects/

westman

Done right you wouldn't be able to see it. Often in movies the filmmakers will add milk to the rainwater so it shows up on camera, which is probably where the "white lines" depiction of rain in games comes from in the first place.

I've heard of that trick, but I think the result is still quite far from the 100% opaque "plastic toothpick" look you see in some games. The milk/water ratio is probably not that high, resulting in a liquid that is at least more transparent than opaque.

Also, real rain can be quite visible in the air even if it is not always so. It depends on rain quantity, drop size, lighting conditions, and whether the the background is light or dark. In daylight, you can usually see light rain against a dark background, and heavy rain against most backgrounds. Making the rain a bit more opaque than in real life means that you see it even in conditions where it would be invisible in reality, and I'm fine with that (and actually prefer it) as long as it's done in a subtle way. Among recent games, Ground Zeroes and Watch_Dogs did it well in my opinion (PS4 version if it matters). Infamous Second Son also had good rain, but as it was almost invisible in some lighting conditions, adding a little "milk" to it might have been preferable..

Top Bottom