• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White news anchor uses n-word, gets fired, black anchors does same is spared, sues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzom21

Not in mainstream rap. It sure isn't an issue for non blacks (other than white) to say nigga.

It is an issue and very few non-black people have used it in mainstream hip hop. Plenty of people took issue with Jennifer Lopez when she used it and people had issue with Fat Joe using it.

They asked him to say what happened. While he should have remembered that he's at work before he opened his dumb mouth, getting more upset at someone for simply recounting events is beyond ridiculous to me.

you finding it beyond ridiculous shows only how far removed you are from the emotional toil that word brings to some people.

Where does it say he relishes it? Where does it say he used the word in any way other than to explain what happened? Where does it say he's suing for the right to say the word? He can't even use the word to describe what he said? People literally should never use the word nigger? Not even to say they think nigger is a bad word? Literally, non-black people, should never ever say the word?

“Does this mean we can finally say the word n-----?” Burlington asked.

It is an issue and very few non-black people have used it in mainstream hip hop. Plenty of people took issue with Jennifer Lopez when she used it and people had issue with Fat Joe using it.

I wouldn't say very few at all. And I'm sure there are some people that don't like it, but over all it is widely excepted and not an issue when a non black rapper releases a song and uses the word nigga unless they are white. A prime example of this would be Big Pun who is one of the most highly recognized rappers of all time. Joell Ortiz is current rapper that is still alive and uses the word frequently with out there being controversy all over sites and the news. I can't imagine the same response if a white rapper did the same.

Again I don't really care about the word nor do I have any use for it in my day to day life. But let's be real here, certain races can pull it off and whites really can't. Mainly due to the fact that some of their ancestors who where also white had slaves and used the word in a derogatory manner which fucked up this countries perception of race which is still lasting to this day.

leadbelly

Banned
You know it's funny actually. I remember watching a debate about free speech on Youtube. Christopher Hitchens was on the side that believed there should be no limits to free speech. Of course the word came up which was kind of inevitable in this type of debate. Hitchens never censored his own use of the word. Considering the argument he was making it would have been just absurd for him to do so. It would have also meant the other side would have gone, "there you see!".

Context does matter I think.

I find it amusing that this is the type of discrimination/inequality that some white people have issue with.
I'll make you a deal, the day that black people no longer have to experience racial profiling, job discrimination, harassment by the police, inequality in the criminal justice system, etc. etc. then all white people can say nigger, nigga or any various to their heart's content. Deal?

Shiieeet, I already made that deal near the bottom of page 2

Zoe

yeah, and he repeated that phrase, “Does this mean we can finally say the word n-----?” verbatim.

shows how much he cared or learned and how much any apologies meant.

The problem is other people were able to repeat that phrase verbatim to describe the incident without any reprimand.

The problem is other people were able to repeat that phrase verbatim to describe the incident without any reprimand.
1) what other people?
a) the other anchor: he claims she said it. she denies saying it.
b) another employee: it was typed in an email to HR

2) where is the problem?
a & b) neither of the aforementioned people were seeing HR because of complaints that they used the N word. he was. the circumstances are absolutely not the same. it's him using the word *again* vs a claim someone else used it and a 3rd party reporting on *his* incident.

Enzom21

I wouldn't say very few at all. And I'm sure there are some people that don't like it, but over all it is widely excepted and not an issue when a non black rapper releases a song and uses the word nigga unless they are white. A prime example of this would be Big Pun who is one of the most highly recognized rappers of all time. Joell Ortiz is current rapper that is still alive and uses the word frequently with out there being controversy all over sites and the news. I can't imagine the same response if a white rapper did the same.

Again I don't really care about the word nor do I have any use for it in my day to day life. But let's be real here, certain races can pull it off and whites really can't. Mainly due to the fact that some of their ancestors who where also white had slaves and used the word in a derogatory manner which fucked up this countries perception of race which is still lasting to this day.
I agree that if they were white there would be a shitstorm but there is some pushback if it is minor.
Shiieeet, I already made that deal near the bottom of page 2
Was it ignored like my post will most likely be? They'll complain about the inequality of it all but fail to realize that they're complaining about not being able the use a racial slur free of consequence... it's absurd.

Seems like this guy is going to win a fine cash settlement.
Of course you would think that.

Of course you would think that.

What if someone like Jon Stewart said the n word while discussing a story they were going to do that featured the word being spoken? Do you think he should be fired simply for saying the word in reference to the story? You don't think this guy was rail-roaded by his coworkers? Maybe he should have been reprimanded but for them to say they won't work with "out of fear for their own safety" is fucking ridiculous. It is because of the way they handled the situation that he will likely win damages.

E92 M3

The guy was an idiot, but then his coworkers played him up to be some KKK member. I hope he wins this one.

Saying they fear for their lives is just complete bullshit.

baphomet

There's some straight up racist comments in here.

"Only blacks" "non-blacks" and so on. Doesn't matter what its about, that kind of thinking is racist.

Enzom21

What if someone like Jon Stewart said the n word while discussing a story they were going to do that featured the word being spoken? Do you think he should be fired simply for saying the word in reference to the story? You don't think this guy was rail-roaded by his coworkers? Maybe he should have been reprimanded but for them to say they won't work with "out of fear for their own safety" is fucking ridiculous. It is because of the way they handled the situation that he will likely win damages.
He wasn't fired, his contract wasn't renewed. The story is his account of what happened not the definitive truth but I am really not surprised that you of all people would immediately believe it.

Cagey

Banned
1) what other people?
a) the other anchor: he claims she said it. she denies saying it.
b) another employee: it was typed in an email to HR

2) where is the problem?
a & b) neither of the aforementioned people were seeing HR because of complaints that they used the N word. he was. the circumstances are absolutely not the same. it's him using the word *again* vs a claim someone else used it and a 3rd party reporting on *his* incident.

The joke? Of course. But insofar as the HR meeting v. email went? Nonsense. Even the news station couldn't get its story straight in prior to losing their motion for summary judgment.

http://www.paed.uscourts.gov/documents/opinions/10d1325p.pdf

EDIT: clarification to note all emphasis is added, obv.

Following the June 23rd newsroom editorial meeting, John Jervay, an African American, wrote an email to Phil Metlin and Leslie Tyler explaining that “during the news meeting the word nigger was used by Tom Burlington.” (Defs.’ Mot. Ex. 18.) Jervay’s email used the word twice more in all capital letters. (Id.)

Defendants argue that Jervay simply “accurately reported and described Plaintiff’s offensive use of the word,” so his use of the word was therefore not as serious as Plaintiff’s. (Defs.’ Mot. 21-22.)

But when Plaintiff was asked during the June 29th meeting to explain what had happened in the June 23rd newsroom editorial meeting, Plaintiff’s use of the word provoked an immediate reaction from Ameena Ali and Phil Metlin. Plaintiff testified that Ali said, “I can’t believe you said it again. . . . Don’t you know you can’t use that word?” (Pl.’s Dep. 214:14-23.)

Mirroring Defendants’ explanation of Jervay’s use of the word, Plaintiff replied that he was simply relating what had happened at the editorial meeting, as Metlin had requested. (Id. at 214:25-215:3.) Metlin suspended Plaintiff, although Plaintiff’s suspension had been ordered by Mike Renda before the meeting. (Id. at 216:17-19; Ali Dep. 138:17-139:8.)

Jervay, by contrast, was never disciplined for using the word under almost the same circumstances as Plaintiff during the June 29th meeting.

General Manager Mike Renda’s explanation of this inconsistency was as follows:

Q. And in this email [Jervay] uses the word—the full word nigger three times?
A. Correct.
Q. And is that a violation of Fox policy for him to have done it?
A. He was quoting Tom Burlington in an investigation.
Q. So that it was acceptable for him to do that?
A. We asked him what was said.
Q. And he—my question is: Was it a violation of Fox policy for him to use the word?
A. Not in the context of this investigation.
Q. Earlier I was talking to you about when Ameena Ali questioned Tom Burlington about what he said in the meeting and Tom Burlington used the full word nigger when he recounted what happened, and you said that would be a violation of policy. [. . .]

Q. Let me ask you again. Would it be a violation of policy for Tom Burlington to have used the full word with Ameena Ali when he was asked about the incident? [. . .]
A. It was inappropriate.
Q. My question is—
A. No.
Q. Okay.
A. Well, wait a second. Let me take that back. The fact is that any time you use the word, it is a violation.

Q. Okay. So then looking at this email, was it a violation for John Jervay to type this word, send it in an e-mail and use it three times?
A. I will repeat what I said. No. He was asked to send this as part of the investigation.
Q. Well, you just said that any time that the word is used, it’s a violation of policy. So that’s not true?
A. I stand by what I said.

Q. Well, it doesn’t make sense. Is it always a violation of policy or are there exceptions?
A. We asked John Jervay what happened, and he reported to us.
Q. My question is different. Is it always a violation of policy or are there exceptions? [. . .]
A. I don’t know.

(Renda Dep. 102:23-105:14.)

A reasonable jury could conclude that Renda’s testimony demonstrates that Defendants were unable to draw a principled, non-race-based distinction between Jervay’s use of the word in describing what happened at the newsroom editorial meeting and Plaintiff’s use of the word when he was asked to describe what had happened at the meeting. Plaintiff’s use of the word elicited a severely negative reaction, brought the meeting to a close before he could explain himself, and was followed by his immediate suspension, while Jervay’s use of the word elicited only Defendants’ defense of his actions.

Plaintiff is white. Jervay is African American. Management’s inability to explain why Jervay was allowed to use the word while Plaintiff was not permits the inference that their races influenced the decision, and that a similarly situated African American employee was treated more favorably than Plaintiff under similar circumstances.4

The joke? Of course. But insofar as the HR meeting v. email went? Nonsense. Even the news station couldn't get its story straight in prior to losing their motion for summary judgment.

http://www.paed.uscourts.gov/documents/opinions/10d1325p.pdf

EDIT: clarification to note all emphasis is added, obv.
That whole thing kind of fails to realise that one may have been more scrutinised than the other because one actuactually used the word in a joke and the oother would not have had to have been thinking about,let alone typing the word full stop had they not been reporting on the incident caused by the other.

The above quote attempts to at that point put both employees in the same boat, but they werent at that time.

Even IF itbwas against policybtoneven type it in an email, only one of them said it out loud in a professional workplace, as a joke. Only one of them exhibited the type of behaviour HR would want to look at regarding slurs in racial jokes.

Asking for them both to be treated on the same level in that ccontext, foes not make sense.
Idk.

Besides I still dont get the "the meeting ended after the HR rep asked why he was still using the word". That doesnomethemaint happen. Something else surely happened after that.

Its not black people's fault that other use it and end up getting themselves into this situations, I cant grasp how people go through life thinking saying that kind of stuff will be uniformly accepted. First time I went to the states I was nine and my dad told me not to use that word, I didnt, and no one punched me in the face nor did I have some urge to say it or get obsessed to the point that I demanded black people to stop using it like a child breaking a toy rather than let other play with it.

This need to take a word from the community just reeks of jealousy of not being able to say, the usual arguments also fall in line with the usual "Post-racial" shit like the one that inspired the anchorman getting fired.

Yea, thanks for the jumping of conclusions. no way in hell this is jealousy. I feel the word is used in idiocy and has no place in any language as it stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom