• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who are some 2000's pop stars no one talks about anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PillarEN

I mean Andre 3k and Big Boi are some of the most appreciated or underrated rappers depending on who you talk to and 3k gives people features about every year for the last few it seems

Was Coachella about 3 years ago where the trendy crowd was sort of out of the loop with their greatness and other music people and music fans were going off on twitter saying stuff like "uhhh idiots in the crowd, these guys are legends"

EYEL1NER

huh, interesting

I figured he fell off the face of the earth post get busy and gimmie the light
What? His next album after that one was the platinum album The Trinity, which had "Temperature," "Give it up to Me," and "We be Burnin."
In addition to the songs LFMartins86 posted, he was also featured on Sak Noel & Salvi's "Trumpets" last year, which didn't chart in the US but was huge around the rest of the world. It was massive in the Philippines while I was there last Summer; I heard it a ton and the dance clubs loved it.

Whatever happened to Outkast? Sisqo?

OutKast had a great run of albums from 94 - 06, so hardly a "2000 pop" group. They also were on hiatus up until a year or two ago when they performed at Coachella. Each member had a short solo run and Andre 3000 has tried to get an acting career going. I might be wrong but I also believe Big Boi is a producer.

Depending on who you ask, these guys aren't in the "no one talks about them" because they were never talked about in the first place. Christ, they were booed HARD for winning an award in 95 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwLG7aSYM3w

What? His next album after that one was the platinum album The Trinity, which had "Temperature," "Give it up to Me," and "We be Burnin."
In addition to the songs LFMartins86 posted, he was also featured on Sak Noel & Salvi's "Trumpets" last year, which didn't chart in the US but was huge around the rest of the world. It was massive in the Philippines while I was there last Summer; I heard it a ton and the dance clubs loved it.

He was also on a remix of Luv by Tory Lanez last year which was a huge pop hit on hip hop & pop stations. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs7JJmMaQOE

Some people in here need to turn on the damn radio every now and then, or explore more.

EYEL1NER

Some people in here need to turn on the damn radio every now and then, or explore more.
My daughter likes the XM channel The Blend which is a lot of pop hits, so I've definitely heard a lot of these songs from artists that people are acting like fell off the face of the planet. I started laughing when I read P!nk's name in this thread because I must have heard "Just Like Fire" several hundred times last year (and am still hearing it on the radio now).

Sisco was mentioned several times and I am pretty sure he did fall off the face of the planet, but I actually heard him being talked about on the morning show I listen to that talks about all kinds of music-related things (it's on XM's Volume, which is nothing but people talking about music all day). They were discussing/mocking the fact that he just unveiled his own parody song "Lebron Song," a redone version of the "Thong Song" where the lyrics are all about how Lebron James should be the next NBA MVP. The chorus is literally "Lebron-bron-bron-bron-bron" in place of the word "Thong" and the video features things like Mount Rushmore featuring Lebrons face over all four presidents. Not huge or anything but he did just appear as a blip on the radar I guess.

Yeah. She sold out to do booty shakin' "club hitz"; her third album was a MASSIVE departure from her first and second albums.
Thankfully. I mean, I liked most of the songs on Whoa Nelly a lot but her working with Timbaland produced some amazing club songs. The second, third, and fourth singles from that one were fantastic ("Promiscuous," "Maneater," which I had completely forgotten about but now want to listen to, and "Say it Right"). Around that time was Timbaland's "Give it to Me" with her and Timberlake on it which fits in pretty well with her songs from that era. I think getting with Timbaland was a fantastic move for her. She may not have had a ton of success after that but I can't imagine she would be doing any better right now had she stuck with the sound from the first two albums. And Loose sold as many copies as her first two combined.

My daughter likes the XM channel The Blend which is a lot of pop hits, so I've definitely heard a lot of these songs from artists that people are acting like fell off the face of the planet. I started laughing when I read P!nk's name in this thread because I must have heard "Just Like Fire" several hundred times last year (and am still hearing it on the radio now).

Sisco was mentioned several times and I am pretty sure he did fall off the face of the planet, but I actually heard him being talked about on the morning show I listen to that talks about all kinds of music-related things (it's on XM's Volume, which is nothing but people talking about music all day). They were discussing/mocking the fact that he just unveiled his own parody song "Lebron Song," a redone version of the "Thong Song" where the lyrics are all about how Lebron James should be the next NBA MVP. The chorus is literally "Lebron-bron-bron-bron-bron" in place of the word "Thong" and the video features things like Mount Rushmore featuring Lebrons face over all four presidents. Not huge or anything but he did just appear as a blip on the radar I guess.

This is the perfect example and story of an artist who fell of the face of the earth and is no longer discussed.

Cepheus

KT Tunstall, and Duffy. And Jamelia, though she's performing at Birmingham Pride this year.

I could probably just go down the track list on my Now 62 CD and name about twenty more.

AColdDay

Nickelback I believed, but I had to google Papa Roach. They have an album releasing this year....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HS2DQrG7wE

I guess teen angst never truly dies.

I'm going to out myself as a former big papa roach fan. I was in High School when Infest came out and I thought it was great. It wasn't, but I thought it was. They completely transitioned their sound on the next record (which was totally fine), but honestly kept changing their sound again and again until it became something I felt was lame.

Basically, for me, they transitioned from making music that would be playing in the background of DBZ montage videos (which teenage me was totally into) to being a pretty lame modern take on Motley Crue-esque "rock".

I checked out M2M on Spotify a few days ago ! I still have their first album... that was a lot of purple. But I remember them mostly for the Pokémon version of their first clip : https://youtu.be/BBJv1YgxnLo
It's actually hilarious lol

Marit Larsen has released a LOT of music since then. Four albums, two EPs.

Under the Surface
The Chase
Spark
When the Morning Comes
Joni Was Right I & II

She's a pop/folk music goddess.

Fountains of Wayne.

This is Stacy now:

VS40TZs.jpg

KT Tunstall, and Duffy. And Jamelia, though she's performing at Birmingham Pride this year.

I could probably just go down the track list on my Now 62 CD and name about twenty more.

KT Tunstall just performed at a restaurant down the block from me last month sometime, lol

Ganhyun

S*Club 7 they fell off quick. I remember they were popular with their movies and I believe TV show

Looking at wikipedia it looks like at their height one of the members left so they rebranded to S Club (without the 7 lol). Then another member ended up having a back condition that left her unable to do live performances. They disbanded in 2003. Some of the members tried to keep going but since most of us have likely never heard of the other S Club variants listed on Wikipedia it didnt work.

edit:

Remember that flash video "the ultimate shodown of ultimate destiny"? The guy who starts beating up Shaq.

I used to have that video saved somewhere.

James Blunt

I think he just chills and tweets jokes now

Holy shit, haha. That's actually pretty awesome he has a sense of humour about it. Honestly, I respect when people find success but are perfectly fine with settling down and having a nice, humble life. Sounds like he's enjoying himself.

He just released an album. Is everywhere on UK TV.

Samantha Mumba.

Doing bits and bobs on Irish television. Ran into her in a pub a couple months back. Lovely woman.

Some of the names coming up in this thread say more about the people posting them than the artists who they're naming. A lot of you are more out of touch than I am and I'm 38 and don't care about pop music that much.

John Mayer? Shakira? Mandy Moore? If you aren't aware of them lately, you're living a pretty sheltered life.

Good shout.

Jessica Simpson comes to mind but I'm so out the loop.

I was wondering what happened to Justin Timberlake and Timbaland. You couldn't move for Timbaland, I swear he was singing in my fridge once.

Timbaland is also doing a TV reality show for one of the A&E Networks called "The Pop Game"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom