• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who are you as a gamer?

Resetera (I hope I'm not in trouble for referencing them. :p) had a nice idea for a thread that I had never noticed before. The idea is to create a 3 X 3 image of your favorite games in order to give a snapshot of who you are as a devotee of this hobby. You can use a site like this to make your image. It's probably better to host the images on a place like imgur if you want them to remain.

Also, the recommendation was to only use 1 game per franchise for the sake of variety. (Don't want to have all Souls on your page. :p)

Feel free to contribute. I think it's a very interesting idea.

Anyway, here's mine. This is my essence as a gamer:

d0Fd3Vt.png

From top left : Dark Souls, Out of the Park Baseball, God Hand, Pro Evolution (WE) Soccer, TES Oblivion, God of War 3, Shadow of the Colossus, Bayonetta, Silent Hill 2.

Gander

Banned
Well there are 5 categories to fighting game players I can describe that.

Scrubs - Willing to do anything to win but not necessarily improve
Brawlers - These guys learn enough to beat down scrubs to make themselves feel good.
Monks - These guys dedicate themselves to fight just the best not everybody.
Technicians - Uniquely talented they study the game mechanics more than characters.
Naturals - Guys you put on any fighting game and they will come up with something. How far they go is usually depends on their dedication.

I think honestly I'm more the Monk player.

Last edited:

ROMhack

I was going to do it but then realised I need to sign-up to make it so nah, can't be arsed. Here's the games:

- Mother 3
- Xenogears
- Broken Sword
- Shadow of the Colossus
- Tetris
- Kentucky Route Zero
- No More Heroes
- Metal Gear Solid 2
- Grim Fandango

They're all titles that have made a strong impression on me.

DonF

Ive been gaming since 1977. I need a hell of a lot more than 3x3. :)
Damn, you are OG AF! respect! I hope I'm gaming for a long time too. Last year was an awesome year, I'm 32 and I don't see myself falling out of love with gaming. I too need more than 3x3!

Too much work to do that so here is my list:

Halo (duh)
Alien Isolation
Doom
All Mario games
Pokemon
Battlefield
Skyrim
Fallout
Tomb Raider
Star Fox 64
Animal Crossing

and many more

4chan has been doing this for years. The anti-Resetera.
Will make mine here in a bit.

Only the top 3 are in order
  • Persona 4 Golden
  • Steins;gate
  • Catherine
  • Nier Automata
  • Metal Gear Solid 3
  • Sleeping Dogs
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Dragons Dogma
  • Persona 3
Had to post this way as it wouldn't upload my image.

Last edited:
No particular order:

Quest For Glory
Heroes of Might and Magic 3
Diablo 2
Shining force
Super Mario World
Halo 2
Perfect Dark
Pokemon Blue
UN Squadron

Very tough - i could make a list of dozens of games that shaped me. Tried to give a wide breadth

Kagey K

Banned
I can’t do a 3x3. I try to at least get a taste for all games and then pursue the ones I’m most interested in.

There is no way i could ever be shoehorned into a 10 game space.

I am by definition a variety (or causal) gamer in that I will play any game from beginning to end , but once those credits roll I may forget about it.

I don’t get hooked on games, I’m just hooked on gaming in general.

Last edited:

KINDERFELD

Banned
Final Fantasy 8
Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
Ninja Gaiden Black
Metroid Prime
Elder Scrolls Oblivion
Soul Calibur 4
Diablo 2
Battlefield Bad Company

Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Streets of Rage
Valkyria Chronicles
Super Smash Bros Melee.
Pokemon Yellow
Final Fantasy X
Freedom Wars
Binary Domain
Crash Team Racing

On Phone at the moment so will have to do one later.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
Well there are 5 categories to fighting game players I can describe that.

Scrubs - Willing to do anything to win but not necessarily improve
Brawlers - These guys learn enough to beat down scrubs to make themselves feel good.
Monks - These guys dedicate themselves to fight just the best not everybody.
Technicians - Uniquely talented they study the game mechanics more than characters.
Naturals - Guys you put on any fighting game and they will come up with something. How far they go is usually depends on their dedication.

I think honestly I'm more the Monk player.
people always miss use the word scrub, the whole story of were it came from was a girl playing a fighting game at a arcade, some guy was complaining that she kept using the same move over and over to beat him. Thats when she called him a scrub. The term basically means someone who complains about losing instead of trying to improve. And this was wayyyy before evo, maybe around the old B4 tournaments

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
Wanted to mention the same. 4chan have been doing this since the beginning of time, haha. Kinda ironic that Era has adopted this.

Difference is that on Resetera I'd be afraid to post sexist or forum banned games.

I 'll just post in 3x3 format. After all most game archetypes I like are based on those games:

Dig Dug - Monkey Island 2- Golden Axe

Wonderboy in Monsterland - Zelda 1 - Puzzle Bobble 3

Super Sidekicks - World Heroes 2 - Princess Maker 2

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
VDE7KiE.jpg

1. Super Mario Bros on NES is one of my earliest memories of playing video games.
2. Pokemon Yellow/Red is the game that got me hooked on games.
3. Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 literally changed my life. As a kid it introduced me to new music and got me into skateboarding. If it weren't for this game I really don't think I'd be who I am today. I'd likely not have met all the friends I have.
4. GTA 3 wasn't my first GTA game but 3 blew my mind with the 3D open world. The detail that Rockstar put into their cities got me interested in architecture, city planning, and generally just travelling and visiting new places.
5. The Last of Us for no particular reason other than I love games even if they feel linear and just want to tell a story.
6. I'm not a huge fan of Skyrim anymore but it was my first proper open world RPG. I'm not quite sure you could say Pokemon/GTA were open world RPGs in the sense of Skyrim which had much more detailed mechanics, quests, and classes. It got me hooked on RPGs which leads me to....
7. Witcher 3. I wouldn't call it a master piece but damn this game I fell in love with. I could write paragraph after paragraph but I'll leave it at that. Just such an amazing game.
8. Rocket League because it has long overtook Witcher 3 as my most played game of all time. It also was a turning point for me because until I started playing this I was more of an offline single player person as you can probably tell. With this game it got me interested in games like Overwatch, Fortnite, League of Legends, etc.
9. Bloodborne. I remember when it was being marketed I completely ignored it because I knew it was a Dark Souls spin off. Difficult games weren't really my thing. I liked my hand being held. Yet when it released I felt like I was missing out on a great game so I bought it and for about a year I regretted it and hated it. Then I "git gud" and now I'm not put off by the difficulty of a game. I'm more open to trying out something even though it might not be straight forward.

Hudo

Difference is that on Resetera I'd be afraid to post sexist or forum banned games.

I 'll just post in 3x3 format. After all most game archetypes I like are based on those games:

Dig Dug - Monkey Island 2- Golden Axe

Wonderboy in Monsterland - Zelda 1 - Puzzle Bobble 3

Super Sidekicks - World Heroes 2 - Princess Maker 2

Wow, I didn't know that there were forum banned games. That's crazy.

Hm, my 3x3 field would be:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild- Command & Conquer: Red Alert - Age of Empires II
Animal Crossing - Super Mario World - Heroes of Might and Magic III
Persona 4 - Final Fantasy VI - ESP Ra.De.

Man, this is very hard. I would've liked a 4x4 matrix instead. Then, I could've included Mega Man Legends 2, ReVolt, Burnout 3, Day of the Tentacle and others...

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Looking at the images / lists here, I see why I am having trouble interacting with the gaming side currently: The list that has the best ratio for me of liked games out of played games is Starlight Lotice Starlight Lotice with Sonic 2, Crash Team Racing, Smash Bros. Melee and Pokémon Yellow vs. only Streets of Rage and Final Fantasy X (though I like other FFs), for a lot of people it is not even computable, because it is 0 played, with Helios Helios .

Looking at the images / lists here, I see why I am having trouble interacting with the gaming side currently: The list that has the best ratio for me of liked games out of played games is Starlight Lotice Starlight Lotice with Sonic 2, Crash Team Racing, Smash Bros. Melee and Pokémon Yellow vs. only Streets of Rage and Final Fantasy X (though I like other FFs), for a lot of people it is not even computable, because it is 0 played, with Helios Helios .

Thanks for the mention! :)

I grew up on Japanese gaming really so my choices are based on what I played most and loved. Mostly SEGA stuff but wanted to vary it a little.

The best Western game I have played is probably Child of Light or even Rayman origins but most just don't interest me sadly.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Thanks for the mention! :)

I grew up on Japanese gaming really so my choices are based on what I played most and loved. Mostly SEGA stuff but wanted to vary it a little.

The best Western game I have played is probably Child of Light or even Rayman origins but most just don't interest me sadly.
Well, if those two were on the list, the liked ratio would probably have been even better, great games :D.

Jack of all trades. From the home alone game on Sega to the backyard sports games. From cod to fire emblem. From smash to need for speed. I play them all, and am good at them all.

Pantz

BsMmNDh.jpg

Tiles set to a random order.
1. Halo 2
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Final Fantasy VII
4. Shenmue
5. Dead or Alive Xtreme 3
6. EverQuest
7. SNATCHER
8. Gran Turismo 2
9. Red Alert

Helios

I'm not big into Nintendo games but at the same time these are only 9 games. I'm sure we have some overlap.

Top Bottom