• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who are you as a gamer?

Cranberrys

It's super hard to choose 9 games, but I guess my absolute faves are :

fave.jpg

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'm not big into Nintendo games but at the same time these are only 9 games. I'm sure we have some overlap.
Maybe - but if you dislike games roughly in the vein of what Nintendo does (not sepcifically Nintendo-made ones, but also genre-brethren by others), it will probably be very limited. Best candidates would probably be Portal games or Batman Arkham games.

Also please do not take this as a complaint or such, I am pretty limited in my taste and of course I appreciate a wide range of tastes.

4chan has been doing this for years. The anti-Resetera.

I had no idea where the idea originated, but I just wanted to acknowledge that the idea was not my own.

Btw, to me this list doesn't have to be your absolute "top 9 games of all-time". I look at it as more of a window - appropriately enough - into your tastes. It could include games that have been particularly influential that you no longer view as greats through the lens of today.

You really know you're getting old when kids think 3x3 is enough. 😂 Gaming since the mid 80s here!

Thanks for the compliment, I'm in my late 40's. :p I could have included a lot of older games, but that's not what I felt encapsulated my gamer "vibe".

Enjoying seeing everybody's snapshots.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Sensible Soccer? Scrabble?

Dare I say that I detect a British Gamer? :p

Great choices by the way! I even see Yakuza!

Kick Off 2 (Amiga) 🙂

British, yep. Loved the Spectrum era especially when I was growing up 🙂

Segura Unger

Neo Member
The single biggest reason I'm playing games is atmosphere. I do appreciate a good story, an interesting character or deep mechanics, but I can deal with not having these if a game vibes with me. Give me a game with a strong sense of place, and I will endure its repetitive combat, ignore its cliche-ridden story, and rationalize away stupid decisions of its characters. With that said, these are the games/series that knock it out of the park for me:

Nnx3LK2.jpg

[1.1] Resident Evil series
[1.2] Alan Wake
[1.3] Silent Hill series
[2.1] Bloodborne
[2.2] Max Payne
[2.3] Half-Life series
[3.1] Fallout series
[3.2] Jet Set Radio series
[3.3] Dragon Quest VIII

Honorable mentions: Ico, Shenmue, Bioshock, Soma, Hitman, Dishonored, Prey, Mass Effect

Kick Off 2 (Amiga) 🙂

British, yep. Loved the Spectrum era especially when I was growing up 🙂

Great! Sorry I confused one Footy game for another there! XD

British myself but I am a little younger so I never grew up around the C64/Speccy/Amiga really but the stories about the Computers is fascinating.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Couldn't manage a 3x3, here's a 4x4. I think this is a pretty good representation; there's a few I haven't played in a while, obviously Odyssey is the newest but I think it might be my favourite Mario. Contemplating getting Dark Souls or Bloodborne in there too.

i3EmMDf.jpg

I'm a giant dweebus so I maintain an excel sheet of the top 500 games on Metacritic (with some exceptions like annuals), whether they're unplayed/played/completed, platform and year of release. It's just a good way to ensure I'm not wasting any time playing shit games, but I don't limit myself to it; if a game comes out that doesn't make the top 500 I'll obviously still play it, no sweat.

I think the above came out of me being a heavy WoW player from 2005 - 2010, and then a few interim years afterwards. When you play an MMO full time you miss out of a lot of great games, as it turns out. Now I try and get through an average of one a week, old or new.

Last edited:

Daymos

I tried.. I failed.. I'm lazy as well.

Here.. I pick this 9 times! Nothing else matters:

SI_WiiU_TheLegendOfZeldaBreathOfTheWild.jpg

Last edited:

Helios

Maybe - but if you dislike games roughly in the vein of what Nintendo does (not sepcifically Nintendo-made ones, but also genre-brethren by others), it will probably be very limited
I don't dislike them, I just don't rate them as highly as other games. I still grew up with Nintendo games. Their newer stuff are kind of lost on me but I still like older ones like LTTP for example, I think it's a great game. It just didn't make the list. Same with SMB1-3 and so on.
Also please do not take this as a complaint or such, I am pretty limited in my taste and of course I appreciate a wide range of tastes.
No worries, I understood where you're coming from. I like where the discussion went since it kind of fits with the theme of the thread or at least the title.

Hinedorf

Banned
Tough list to create, I tried to generalize the most prominent games I played through my life.

Street Fighter 2
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 3
Final Fantasy Tactics
XenoGears
Counterstrike
Ultima Online
Shadowbane
Red Dead

Domisto

It's not enough, couldn't fit more racing games in. Gah.

3x3.jpg

Turrican II
Syndicate
Gran Turismo
Resident Evil 2
God of War
Shadow of the Colossus
Burnout Paradise
Prison Architect
Stardew Valley

JangoRain

mosaic6e67986c531b72e2fdefa381ed06a84671e259fc.jpg

Hard to narrow down to 9, but these are probably the ones I’m most fond of. Can’t pick just one from the Smash series or Pokémon series though!

Wonko_C

kzQaqom.jpg

These are some of the games that resonated with me the most, left to right, top to bottom:
-The Guardian Legend (NES): Fantastic mix of Zelda-style overworld with shoot 'em up sections in place of dungeons, with a robot girl who transforms into a space fighter jet. We need more robot-girl-jets.
-Gradius (Series): The first game got me into the series and the shoot 'em up genre as a whole.
-Ys (Series): I knew about this series back in the 16-bit days but never played them, that changed with The Oath in Felghana, which made me an instant fan.
-Castlevania (Series): Love the music, love the vampire theme, and above all, love breaking candles!
-Street Fighter III: Third Strike (Dreamcast): While SF2 did ignite my love of fighting games, Third Strike was my drug.
-Phantasy Star Online: (Dreamcast): I still love doing Forest runs from time to time, the music and atmosphere hasn't still been matched by anything else IMO. Give me a VR version with slightly polished graphics and I won't ever go outside again.
-Yakuza (Series): I originally liked this series because of its old-school beat'em up action with RPG elements, but it has evolved into so much more.
-Odin Sphere/Leifthrasir: My favorite story in a video game, ever. I loved this back on the PS2, the remake is a fantastic update to the gameplay too.
-Hatsune Miku Projecf Diva (Series): I didn't even know what a vocaloid was until I played the very first one on PSP and I got hooked on rhythm games since, not necessarily Miku games, but those are the ones I've put ungodly amount of hours into.

Bonus row: PSVR.
-Beat Saber: It's incredibly awesome how good it makes you feel just by slashing cubes to the rhythm.
-Tetris Effect: I love how this game can make you both relaxed and focused at the same time. I've improved a lot more since playing Tetris Effect than over the past 30 years.
-Astro Bot: Everybody says it: This game had me grinning from ear to ear like an idiot, and I loved every second of it!

I love this kind of stuff. Here I go:

ombggSn.jpg

1. Shadow of the Colossus: No other game left an equally strong and lasting impression on me.
2. Xenogears: a flawed masterpiece with the most ambitious and deepest story in JRPGs. One of the best soundtracks from Yasunori Mitsuda. The mechas make it even better.
3. Skies of Arcadia: my first JRPG, possibly my favorite when it comes to the sense of exploration and discovery.
4. Final Fantasy XII: I was going to put FF VI but I have a long emotional connection with XII. Matsuno's vision and Yoshida's character designs are a match made in heaven.
5. Pokémon Emerald: My most replayed game in a franchise I never get tired of since Gen 1. Black & White 2 is a close second.
6. Super Robot Wars Z2 Saisei-hen: if you like mechas, you need to check out the Super Robot Wars series. Incredible mecha lineup and possibly the best cast of antagonists of the franchise imo.
7. King of Fighters 98: I could make an entire list of fighting games. KoF 98 is the definitive KoF and the fighting game everyone knew and played when I was a kid.
8. Metal Gear Solid: the first time I experienced a compelling story in a game. Masterful gameplay and atmosphere. A classic throwback to the late 90s era.
9. Persona 3 Portable: never played the PS2 version, but P3P was satisfying in its own right. The social links are unforgettable. Maybe I would've picked Persona 5 had I played it.

Honorable mentions:
- Final Fantasy VI to X
- Suikoden II
- Trails in the Sky FC/SC
- Jet Set Radio
- Advance Wars

If I had a 10th game it would definitely be Golden Sun.

Just realised that I replayed the first game twice and it took me 6 years to beat the sequel as I missed one power up!!

Ragnaroz

QiKArfG.jpg

Made a couple of tough choices but this is a list I'm fine with. Again, in no particular order.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

Made a couple of tough choices but this is a list I'm fine with. Again, in no particular order.

I had a hard time choosing my fav RPG but it looks like you put all of them in yours...
I bet you are pretty excited for the Outer Worlds !

Last edited:

Filben

HsqMbOZ.jpg

Most of them are old but defined my taste in video games and represents the type of games I'm still playing today, like adventures, rpgs, multiplayer games, narrative-driven singleplayer games, etc.
Obviously I could have added modern games that had a great impact as well, e.g. Hellblade. Others like Prey, Dishonored, and BioShock go right back to Deus Ex. Overwatch is listed there because it is the very first game of its kind that is that much sophisticated, playable, modern in all regards, and popular (TF2, I've played only for a few hours, OW for hundreds).

Games from top left to right bottom:
Tomb Raider 2
Soul Reaver 1
Overwatch
Zelda OoT
Gothic 2
Max Payne 1
Commandos 1
Fallout 2
Deus Ex 1

BRB, have to pull out some old Kodaks of pinball tables.

It's funny you mention that. I absolutely love pinball! I really wanted to put The Pinball Arcade on my 3 X 3, but since it's not actual pinball (but pretty close imo), and they've lost a vital license, I left it off. It's really hard to encapsulate a combination of your personal gaming history and games you really love into such a small space, but I guess that's the fun of it. If there was room, I would have included a ton of other stuff because there's certainly plenty that's worthy of being there for me.

brian0057

Banned

Top row:
  • Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005).
  • System Shock 2.
  • Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.
Middle row:
  • Alien: Isolation.
  • Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.
  • Thief: The Dark Project.
Bottom row:
  • Half-Life.
  • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.
  • Crash Bandicoot Warped.

Havoc2049

I've been gaming since the Atari 2600 days and game on consoles, computers and handhelds, so I could easily put together three or four of these.

NOjIFIP.jpg

Only 9 picks is rough! I had to punt so many great games...

VUuFUUf.jpg

1. Final Fanrtasy VI - Rented Final Fantasy III (Canadian here) a lot with my brothers, couldn't buy it as it was $110. Finally bought it and played it to 100% so many times I remember every second of the game. It was an amazing adventure with such a memorable cast.
2. Forza Motorport - I put this in as a series more than an individual game, though as it is now 7 is the best in the series. I have thousands of hours into the games.
3. Fallout 4 - While not the greatest Fallout in terms of story or characters, I have about 1500 hours into the game thanks to modding.
4. Xenoblade Chronicles - I'm very heavy into Mecha, so a game that has Mechs that are several kilometers tall? The scope of this game was nuts.
5. Starfox 64 - I played through this game almost daily for over a year after it released trying to get perfect runs. I bet I could play it with my eyes shut.
6. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - The scope is great, like in the first game. I really likes the characters and the self-aware, almost comedic tone of the game. I'll be playing through it again after I finish Torna.
7. Metroid Prime - It was tough chosing between this and Super Metroid. One was a just about perfect 2D adventure. the other was perhaps the biggest surprise in gaming history. They not only didn't fuck up Metroid in the move to 3D, it felt exactly like a Metroid game should.
8. Forza Horizon 4 - I've been playing this constantly since launch. It's just fun to fart around in and there is always something to do.
9. Breath of the Wild - This might belong in a higher slot honestly. It's not even two years old yet but I get a nostalgic feeling when I think of the game. The Hero's path in the game is something all games should have. As I followed my blue line I vividly recalled each death, first Lynel fight, first Hinox fight, first leaving the plateau, etc. This was the first game since I was a kid that friends were coming over to my house to just play the game in the same room so we could figure out where things were hidden on the massive map.

Shifty

8Xu27jO.png

Just kidding :messenger_savoring:

I'll have a think and make another one at some point.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I think mine might look something like this, but I could just as well swap out a fella at the bottom for something like Quantum Break or Mass Effect.
8Y0qkZY.jpg

edit: wait, I should've put Prey 2 right in the center, because I talk about that game more than any other
edit2: lmao I revised it
edit3: oshit I could totally replace Dragon's Dogma with Pokemon HeartGold or White, but geez no I gotta stop :p

Last edited:
YrCnkWO.jpg

that was way harder than i thought...

I had to completely neglify Adventure and Racing games... but my Shareware Disc contains most of that... i am sad to leave out monkey island...
and racing games like Wipeout or Burnout, Motorstorm.

shadow of the colossus , Ico morphed into Dark Souls - due to there obvious influences as well as Tomb Raider being very Ico like.

I created this in what i felt was my chronological order Alley cat was my first introduction to games in back in 1989

EDIT: Shareware disc should be before the PS1 games..

Last edited:

dan76

gaff3x3.png

1. Mr. Do! - fantastic arcade game with a very deep scoring for 1982. Waaayyyy better than Dig Dug.
2. Pacland - brilliant early platformer.
3. Outrun Coast2Coast - still the king of arcade racers for me.
4. Akai Katana - This has to be up here as I did some (very minor) work on the port. Love the scoring but playing for the Sheer Grit achievement turns this into a great basic blaster.
5. Mushihimesama 1.5 - Probably my fave Cave game. This nudges out Deathsmiles by an inch.
6. Star Wars Trilogy Arcade - The 1998 Sega game based on the OT, nothing new, but recreating the original trilogy. I have it hooked up as a lightgun game via Supermodel3.
7. House of the Dead 4 - My favourite of the series, it was either this or the first. Love lightgun games.
8. Resident Evil 4 - Either this or REmake (or hopefully REmake2 - we will know soon enough). Amazing map design, enemy encounter and progression.
9. The Last of Us - Mainly for the multiplayer. I hardly play anything else online, I like the slower pace and the fact that its not a die / respawn cycle game.

Typing this up I've realised that all but 2 are arcade games. I guess its an age thing as I grew up around arcades and they're still the standard I compare other games to. For instance, I recently finished The Last of Us on Grounded difficulty, and whilst it was tough, it's nowhere near as tough as the average arcade game. Most shmups are on a much higher level. Compared to Ketsui grounded mode was a cake walk. I really like most Zelda games, Mario etc, and I know they're much better games than on my list but they just don't do it for me.

Honorable mentions - Food Fight, Darkstalkers 3 - Vampire Saviour, Star Wars Blaster Strike, Dodonpachi, The Evil Within and Dead Space almost made it.

Last edited:
I really like most Zelda games, Mario etc, and I know they're much better games than on my list but they just don't do it for me.

Not for you, and these lists are subjective. Plus, what is "better"? There's no clear metric, and even if there were, it wouldn't matter. You should like what you like. It's also what makes these types of things interesting - seeing what everyone really enjoys.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
O2xZROD.jpg

Middle icon is Dota 2 for those whose life is unblessed for not playing such a masterpiece.

RE4 can be swapped out with Metroid Prime.

alife

TSc31Kt.png

Starting from 1999/2000 (Prior to '99/'00, a lot of Super Mario Kart, Street Fighter II Turbo, and Mortal Kombat 1-3):
1. Counter-Strike before Steam came into existence and introduced version 1.6
2. Quake 3 Arena
3. Final Fantasy VII
4. Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
5. Hitman series (#1 is Contracts)
6. Splinter Cell series (#1 is Chaos Theory)
7. Max Payne 1-2 and GTA 3/Vice City/San Andreas
8. Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout: New Vegas
9. Path of Exile

TLZ

Banned
Here goes nothing.

mosaic8d9ce980814c6ef27jw3.jpg

There are a ton more, but I'm limited to 9 and these were the quickest to come to mind.

Also, they're representative of their respectable series.

Pretty obvious I'm into Japanese-made games, apart from GTA :D

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Not in any particular order, and off the top of my head. I have too many, but these appeared first...

Did this on mobile, excuse the justification of the images.

3bode.jpg

Top Bottom