• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who do you think will make a new Conker game?

Widge

Conker was a D-list brand character at best. I can't see it getting touched whatsoever.

I remember Digitiser savaging the game when it came out, an apparently adult geared platformer that relied on toilet gags to get by.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Platinum.

But seriously, Microsoft keep talking about filling holes in their portfolio and they're sitting on at least 3 3D adventure/plat former IPs while they have none in their library.

Leflus

Secret Squirrel game confirmed?!

latest

KORNdoggy

I fear the humour would be lost on them.

Conker needs to be developed by a British dev. No arguments. Every single bit of conker, every joke, every visual gag in Bad Fur Day is entirely true and cuntingly fantastic British humour. Anything less authentic than that is not worth it.

An American developed Conker game would be jarring. Like American red dwarf or American Fawlty Towers. Shudder.

i'd agree with this. but if it really HAD to be american made i'd vote someone like double fine or planet moon studios/shiny entertainment (armed and dangerous/ giants citizen kabuto/ MDK) they seem to have a very dry, sarcastic "english" sense of humour to them which i think would be a good enough approximation.

Jito

Banned
We're never going to see a new Conker game again, it's a hard sell for a studio, cartoony looking, mature themed platformer, full of pop culture references. No focus group would ok a conker game these days.

nadnerb 64

Neo Member
Sadly, and I would kill for it to happen, but I do not think we will see another Conker game. We got Rare Replay and with that, Bad Fur Day, and that weird project spark thing but that is it, I feel. I do not think Rare will go back to any of their old IPs. Rare Replay seemed to be a send off for that era, now focusing on a new era of Rare after their weird Kinect endeavors. Sea of Thieves could be promising. Lets hope it is.

Nvzman

To be fair, this would almost certainly lead to a better end product. The gameplay in Conker is by far its biggest issue (it's fucking atrocious).
What? It's a pretty decent platformer.
It plays like a heavier Banjo-Kazooie in a more cinematic platformer set-up.

Synth

What? It's a pretty decent platformer.
It plays like a heavier Banjo-Kazooie in a more cinematic platformer set-up.

If by "plays like Banjo" you mean he can jump, hover and high jump.. then sure...

It's not a good platformer by any means though. Control of the character is pretty poor overall, camera angles are frequently awful, and stage/encounter designs are some of the worst I've ever seen (walk forward, whack, step back, repeat... is pretty much the most common gameplay element). I don't even want to talk about the TPS part.

The game got by on its charm, humor and pop-culture references. Without those it's an awful game, and those other elements can still work under a Telltale model.

Camjo-Z

If by "plays like Banjo" you mean he can jump, hover and high jump.. then sure...

It's not a good platformer by any means though. Control of the character is pretty poor overall, camera angles are frequently awful, and stage/encounter designs are some of the worst I've ever seen (walk forward, whack, step back, repeat... is pretty much the most common gameplay element). I don't even want to talk about the TPS part.

The game got by on its charm, humor and pop-culture references. Without those it's an awful game, and those other elements can still work under a Telltale model.

The Live & Reloaded remake fixed most of the problems you're talking about, so it's not like that style of gameplay couldn't work. That being said, if a full-blown platformer was out of the question then a Telltale-esque adventure game would definitely be a great way to revive Conker.

J-Spot

Conker was a parody of N64 era 3D mascot platformers. That type of game is pretty much dead or at least far outside the mainstream, so Conker is pretty much irrelevant. I could see maybe taking it in a direction where Conker is a washed up has-been trying to make it in a modern open-world style of game, but plenty of those already revel in the type of juvenile humor that was meant to be subversive in BFD.

Synth

Oh... I guess it comes down to personal preference then, but I will say that I think you played the combat sections wrong. If you press the trigger in a steady rhythm you can kill enemies with a speedy 3-hit combo instead having to hit, back off, hit, back off, etc.

Hmm... I guess I fucked that up for some reason then, and then just kept the bad habit. But yea, I guess it does come down to preference, as there'd still be basically nothing in the gameplay that would elevate it above even the most basic of platformers imo.

Outrun

Platinum.

But seriously, Microsoft keep talking about filling holes in their portfolio and they're sitting on at least 3 3D adventure/plat former IPs while they have none in their library.

This narrative that all that MS does is talk needs to stop.

Halo Wars 2 fills in the RTS slot.

Ori gave us Metrovania.

Crackdown 3.... etc... etc..

I am not sure who should develop the IP.... perhaps ex-rare who are not working on Yukalalee...?

Salty Hippo

I wouldnt doubt it if Team Dakota takes a crack at a full game. They did well with it in Project Spark

No, they didn't. They spit out one of the absolute worst titles in recent video game history.

Platinum.

When did they say that? I've seen both Phil Spencer and Ken Lobb say this past year that that's an approach they actually don't like to take.

Synth

No, they didn't. They spit out one of the absolute worst titles in recent video game history.

Whilst I agree with that (Conker's Big Reunion is tied with Knack for worst game I played last year).. I actually think it did mostly approximate Bad Fur Day... Conker itself is just a bad game that wouldn't survive today without a complete overhaul of its basic systems and approach to game design.

Still though, Reunion was definitely worse, just due to the budget and resources it had. I would imagine Team Dakota could easily have created a superior game though if that's what they were doing from the ground up, rather than simply paying homage through the already defined limitations of their own creative tool.

I wouldn't say that.
It's pretty obvious that some of CBFD's humor is inspired by South Park.

How dare you. Conker is a time honored hallmark example of British humor.

If they are going to make another Conker, they should go back to the original design.

Top Bottom