• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who else is completely content with their Nintendo Switch?

Daymos

I'm happy with it. I bought a ps4 pro (to replace a dying standard ps4) about 6 weeks ago and played that for like 2 weeks before I lost interest and went back to playing switch 100%.

It's like a greatest hits of gaming machine that functions both on tv and as a handheld, I can sit there and play skyrim, diablo3, dark souls, zelda, baldurs gate, torchlight2, dragon quest 11s, super mario world, metroid, contra3, final fantasy 7, xenoblade, the list goes on forever and it's of a jaw dropping level of quality! If you went back to the Wii era and tried to tell me this was nintendos future there's no way in hell I would have believed you.

Last edited:

StormCell

Not even much of a Nintendo fan anymore, and I still like the Switch.

It’s a well-done alternative to the other two, with a ton of great games to play split between the TV, lounging at home, and on the go. It’s likewise fantastic that so many games and updates are tiny, and you can play instantly.

I would like for developers to stop feeding it stuff it can’t handle, like The Outer Worlds port, or Xenoblade’s iffy resolution performance (a rare first party example). I actually like many of the ports, but sometimes it goes too far. It’s also a shame that motion controls seem rarely used, outside of gyro aiming. Some Wii-type games would be fun.

The only thing I want at this point is some kind of Pro that can handle the demanding games a little better, and boosts the screen brightness. Switch gaming outside in harsh sunlight + dark games (so pretty much every game with a night cycle) just doesn’t work.

I hope Nintendo stays on this general track for next-gen.

I think that 51 Tabletop classics has some very Wii-like motion controls like the bowling game.

Pejo

The Switch is fine for what it is, but I certainly wouldn't say no to a "Pro" version of it. I don't mind Nintendo being behind in the power curve but I wish they'd make efforts to not be SO far behind. Portability is nice but if I'm honest, I've only used it out of the house maybe 2-3 times since launch. Mostly my gf uses it lately to play Animal Crossing while I play something else on the main tv. Games-wise, Nintendo does a good job with their various 1st and 3rd party exclusives that it always feels "worth it" to own whatever the current Nintendo console is.

StormCell

I'm generally pretty happy with Switch. I think Nintendo is delivering a lot of good quality games for the platform even if a sizable chunk of those have been ports from Wii U. The third party support is in better shape for Switch.

My one big qualm is that I'm currently in the dark about what's releasing this year. I would have liked more BotW-style Zelda stuff to play much sooner, and I'm not even talking about a whole sequel but just more new stuff to explore and play through since the DLC pass did NOTHING to add to the content.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I love it to death but I also have a PC and PS4 Pro so I’m nort hurting for games

Wii U had me almost jump on board but the whole thing was too cumbersome as a device. Switch feels like a really compact and better version. The portability alone is reason to own it, I love to be able to jump into Mario or Dark Souls or FFVII no matter where I am.

Ten_Fold

To me the switch has the best games, new paper Mario looking good, possible remaster of Mario 64. Xenoblade remaster is good. My only problems with the switch is the online and the screen is 720p. Hopefully Nintendo launches the switch pro early next year, anyways I still think I’ll play the switch more than the ps5/XsX by far.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I am absolutely happy with it.
Doesnt mean i wouldn‘t be even happier with a Switch Pro though.
What I am not happy about is the fact that certain 3rd party games are lazy ports.
Nintendo’s Games and 2nd party titles however are gold.

Last edited:
I'm practically only playing on my Switch at this point, so yeah I'm content with it. I'm starting to think this console design is actually kind of an Evergreen thing. It does pretty much everything: Touch screen, motion controls, multiplayer out of the box, handheld, home console. If they can fix the online, their store (or the speed of it mostly), fix the drift issues and get a better UI, this design will keep winning even beyond a Switch 2.

lock2k

Banned
If anyone wants to sell a used one to me, please send a message. I still don't have a Switch because it's prohibitively expensive in Brazil and I really want one. It can even be a lite one.

Last edited:

ShinNL

I'm gonna end up with as many Switch games as I have for my DS and my PS2, if not more.
I actually already surpassed my 3DS and DS collection (which of course I barely even finished any of those games) and it's becoming a problem.

The meme "It's perfect for the Switch"... well, I keep buying those games. But because there are a lot of "perfect for the Switch" games (I'm at 40+ physical games, not counting all the digital-only games I also bought), I have to be practically homeless to get the "perfect for the Switch" experience at this point.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Why do switch owners have to make recurrent post trying to validate their purchase?
It's almost as if we like the system and want to talk about it on a gaming forum.

I actually already surpassed my 3DS and DS collection (which of course I barely even finished any of those games) and it's becoming a problem.

The meme "It's perfect for the Switch"... well, I keep buying those games. But because there are a lot of "perfect for the Switch" games (I'm at 40+ physical games, not counting all the digital-only games I also bought), I have to be practically homeless to get the "perfect for the Switch" experience at this point.
I have to be picky. There are plenty of Switch "must haves" absent from my shelf. Sorry Splatoon 2, Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, Kirby, Xenoblade 2 (I could go on and on). We're only about 3 years into its lifespan. I have to leave room for more games.

But I'm not complaining. In the paraphrased words of Yamauchi: a console is just a box to get to the games.

yurqqa

Treasure the time when you have a lot of free time and infinite access to TV in your lounge.

Later you'll treasure portable/hybrid gaming.

yvbdZhF.gif

jaysius

Banned
Switch is at my girlfriend's house, she uses it for Pokemon and now Animal Crossing. It was gathering dust in my house.

The last game I had played on it and really loved was probably Mario Odyssey.

Splatoon 2 is fun from time to time, but the P2P networking fucks up everything, so do idlers.

Mario Maker 2 was ok for a few days, until I realized everyone was making "hard as balls" youtuber bait trash.

I'm a huge Paper Mario fan, but probably won't buy it for $80CND, I'll have to wait for never because fucking Nintendo doesn't believe in sales of first part content(Gameboy port Zelda game still $80).

Last edited:

Tulipanzo

This is petty on my part, as I really like my Switch, but I still feel games are too expensive on it, especially the big ones.
On PS4 most games go down to 20$ after a year or 2, but on the Switch I'm still looking at Bayonetta at almost 50!

I have a huge backlog on PS4, and it'd be quite big on Switch too if I could more readily afford games. Still, cracking system.

Fbh

I have no problem with the hardware itself and wouldn't mind them sticking with it for a couple more years.

But as most Nintendo consoles I use it as a sort of side console to play a couple of Nintendo games every year, and maybe the occasional indie release that runs well.
Mine has been gathering dust as of late, the last release that truly interested me was Astral Chain and all of the announced stuff that interest me seems like it will release in 2021 at the earliest (Breath of the Wild 2, Bayonetta 3, SMTV).

This might actually be the first year I pick up no new games for Switch (the only one I'm currently considering is Cross Code and it will depend on how well it runs and how much it costs)

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I wish it had a bigger screen, better battery life, and slightly better performance. I play it exclusively on tablet mode at home so I’m not overly concerned with portability. I think the whole “portability” argument is weird anyway when people generally don’t have an issue whipping out a giant iPad.

It’s probably my most used console since I can play it next to my wife while she watches TV either on the couch or while falling asleep in bed.

DonF

I use it just for exclusives. The number of games I've bought for it that are available elsewhere is slim, but I've regretted every purchase. Last non exclusive I got was moonlighter, it runs like crap on the switch. Loooong loading times and constant frame skips ruin the game. Same with one of the games that I've played a ton, enter the gungeon. I tried it on PS4 and it even looks better, and it's a pixel art game!

I'm sorry but the switch hw is simply underpowered. If devs don't design for the switch from the ground up, games suffer.

And don't get me started with the Nintendo tax.

Last edited:

Eevee86

I'll probably get another console at some point, but this is the first time in a long time I don't think I need them at launch.

jigglet

Banned
Not content at all. The joycon drift problem really sours the console for me, because otherwise I think they've done a great job overall.

Mexen

I thought my Switch was a perfect indie machine until I realized that I can get those games cheaper on PC.
I play docked so on the go, I take my 3DS.
Still, I have a nice collection of games I enjoy on the big screen.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I'm happy with it. I would rather its successor come sooner than later. 2021 announcement with a 2022 release. Make it fully backwards compatible and phase out Switch 1 games by 2023.

VN1X

Banned
*raises hand*

These are my games atm. Also bought Xenoblade DefEd since making this:

9dZcDc6.jpg

My favourite system in years. Wouldn't surprise me if I rack up more play time on the switch alone compared to the 360 and PS4, combined.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
More or less yeah. One of my favorite systems of all time.

Endless amount of games on it.

Already has some legendary games on it.

nordique

I am very happy with my Switch

too many games for me, tbh. I need to lessen the load lol.

so far, most games I’ve owned on a single console ever

Last edited:
I love my Switch. My PS4 had been sitting unused for months and months because I just wasn’t interested in the game library anymore (for reasons I really can’t explain—not sure what happened there.) I decided to sell the whole PS4/VR setup and get myself a Switch because I was tired of fighting with my kids for time on theirs.

Started with Mario Odyssey, fell in love with it immediately, and not a day has gone by since that I haven’t played a game on my Switch. And yes, I’d buy a Switch Pro in a heartbeat.

I haven’t felt the “Nintendo Magic” since my SNES days. I’m feeling it again for sure.

I really wish I used my Switch more. Once I finished BOTW I basically retired it. Every other game I have for Switch besides Mario Kart is a game I can easily play on my laptop. I'm not a huge Nintendo IP fan and basically got myself a Switch as a nice little gift when I started my (at the time) new job.

I'll pull it out again when BOTW 2 comes out.

We actually have two in our household as I have one and my wife has one but they just don’t get much use anymore. It’s definitely a cool piece of hardware but I wish I enjoyed it a lot more than I do.

lock2k

Banned
We actually have two in our household as I have one and my wife has one but they just don’t get much use anymore. It’s definitely a cool piece of hardware but I wish I enjoyed it a lot more than I do.

Like I said before, if anyone wants to sell, I'm in.

TwiztidElf

I agree OP.
Based off your Franky avatar, I'm assuming you have OPPW4?
To me those high standard MOSOU games are perfect for the switch.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I love my Switch. Mario u deluxe is awesome, as are Mario kart and odyssey, Zelda is a good crack and the SNES collection is fantastic. The versatility is a bigger bonus than I expected. I’m having fun with it.

Rat Rage

I'm content with it as well.

That being said, Nintendo needs to fix the drift issue badly. It's one of those really rare actual nintendo hardware fuck ups. Otherwise they've always been known for exteremely well designed and durable hardware.

Joycon drift is very non-nintendo-like.

LOLCats

Banned
im not, but its what they made that plays the games, so i dont really have a choice.

pretty sure all those calls for a switch pro would say people are not really that satisfied with the hardware.

Last edited:

sixamp

I love my switch but I hate my switch. It's missing so many key features and outside of nintendo made games there isn't much. Yes there's 1800 games in the eShop but 1650 of those games are shovel ware

devDemonik

Neo Member
The Switch was awesome when I had it. Unfortunately, I ended up giving it to my nephew. Only cause I couldn't keep up with the games while still playing PS4 games. But had some good times with it nevertheless - BotW, Astral Chain comes to mind.

It would have been nice to play the new SMT, but oh well.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
No, I’m really not. Although I LOVE my Switch, and it’s the console that gets the most playtime, by far, I have a lot of gripes:

The lack of AAA titles this year has been glaring

sub 1080p gaming, needing an mClassic makes the console feel incomplete.

The frame slowdowns in some games is atrocious.

The Online service is still crap.

Not compatible with Bluetooth headphones

Bezels are terrible

Battery life is still lacking

The atrocious WiFi/Ethernet that struggles to pick up decent speeds, no matter your connection speed

The comfort of the joy cons are akin to a Byzantine torture device after long hours of play (and I don’t have large hands)

There’s a lot left wanting with the Switch. It’s certainly time for a Pro.

Trimesh

Banned
I have all 3 of the current gen machines and the Switch gets far more playtime than either of the others. About the only time I turn the PS4 on is when something interesting comes out on PSVR and both that and the Xbox have got down to the point where they are turned on so rarely that they seem to always need updating when I do.

I also have to admit to having basically zero enthusiasm for either the PS5 or the new Xbox, which feels strange since I was always one of the people that was first in line when a new console came out, but I'm just not feeling it this time.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
I haven’t felt the “Nintendo Magic” since my SNES days. I’m feeling it again for sure.
Combine it with the new resurgence of 8/16-bit Sega magic as well.

You have

Sonic Mania
Toejam & Earl Back in the Groove
Streets of Rage 4
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Wonder Boy: The Dragons Trap
Monster Boy and The Cursed Kingdom
and now a Alex Kidd remake.

Having these Sega games on tiny little cartridges bring tears of retro joy. Of course there's plenty of other Sega related things on the system as well like the Ages stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom