• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who has bought a Wii U within the past week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuffyZoro

Just went out and bought Mario Kart 8, Xenoblade Chronicles, ZombiU, and Wonderful 101. Wii U should arrive in a day or two.

Shinta

Banned
Just went out and bought Mario Kart 8, Xenoblade Chronicles, ZombiU, and Wonderful 101. Wii U should arrive in a day or two.

Get Mario Galaxy when you get a chance, if you never had a Wii U.

No one will tell you this, but Wii Sports Resort is incredibly fun, and one of the best examples of motion control out there. Make sure it's RESORT though, which is the sequel.

SugarDave

I haven't bought one but I'm seriously considering it. Realised I've never actually owned a Nintendo console myself and I'd like something new so with the existing library as well as the upcoming stuff which I thought looked really good it's looking mighty tempting. My nephews will love playing it with me too.

Plus, there's the Virtual Console stuff and Wii backwards compatibility so I can finally try things like Metroid Prime, Mario Galaxy and REmake. I need a Netflix machine for my room too.

Shit, typing this out has me close to biting... but I think I can wait. Maybe until Christmas or something. Just drop it by an extra £50 and I'm right there to get it as a nice complement to the PC I'm going to build! Might even get a 3DS while I'm at it.

Wife ordered one off of groupon the other day. I just ordered donkey kong tf, supermario world 3d, and mario kart 8(will use the code to get nsmbu)

Debating if I should get the pro controller too. We have 3 wii motes (w the motion plus) and 3 nunchucks, plus the wired controllers all from the wii. Hmmmmm what do gaf?!

Personally, I feel the pro controller is the best controller this generation by a good margin. It's probably in my top 5 all time. I would pick one up if you can afford it, that's for sure.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
I haven't bought one but I'm seriously considering it. Realised I've never actually owned a Nintendo console myself and I'd like something new so with the existing library as well as the upcoming stuff which I thought looked really good it's looking mighty tempting. My nephews will love playing it with me too.

Plus, there's the Virtual Console stuff and Wii backwards compatibility so I can finally try things like Metroid Prime, Mario Galaxy and REmake. I need a Netflix machine for my room too.

Shit, typing this out has me close to biting... but I think I can wait. Maybe until Christmas or something. Just drop it by an extra £50 and I'm right there to get it as a nice complement to the PC I'm going to build! Might even get a 3DS while I'm at it.

Why wait when you could be having fun with your nephews NOW? ;)

lingpanda

You're missing out my friend. Give it a chance and you might be surprised. Its every gamers complimentary device next to a X1 or PS4.

LuffyZoro

Get Mario Galaxy when you get a chance, if you never had a Wii U.

No one will tell you this, but Wii Sports Resort is incredibly fun, and one of the best examples of motion control out there. Make sure it's RESORT though, which is the sequel.

I had a Wii, and played Galaxy (though not Galaxy 2). I never owned Wii Sports Resort, though I did try it out at Six Flags once, and actually won a contest on it for bowling.

fred

Wife ordered one off of groupon the other day. I just ordered donkey kong tf, supermario world 3d, and mario kart 8(will use the code to get nsmbu)

Debating if I should get the pro controller too. We have 3 wii motes (w the motion plus) and 3 nunchucks, plus the wired controllers all from the wii. Hmmmmm what do gaf?!

If you're going to be playing local multiplayer then I highly recommend getting ZombiU too. It's a real blast...just make sure you don't play the single player game on your own and in the dark unless you have clean underwear handy lol

The Pro controller is excellent and worth getting but it all depends on whether you can afford paying for it when you have adequate controllers there already to make do with.

SugarDave

Why wait when you could be having fun with your nephews NOW? ;)

You're missing out my friend. Give it a chance and you might be surprised. Its every gamers complimentary device next to a X1 or PS4.

I've no doubt that I'll love my time with it, especially with many of the experiences on it being fresh to me. I can be patient though so for the time being I think I'll hold off, that can only be a good thing as the catalogue of games grows for when I finally jump in.

I just landed a job, so maybe I'll treat myself...

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I had a Wii, and played Galaxy (though not Galaxy 2). I never owned Wii Sports Resort, though I did try it out at Six Flags once, and actually won a contest on it for bowling.

you haven't played Galaxy 2 man, why? It's the best game ever

SerodD

This e3 was really interesting, a friend of mine is mainly a pc gamer and was pretty set on buying a ps4 when destiny comes out, after watching all the Nintendo stuff he now tells me he's not sure anymore and will possibly buy a Wii U instead.

I almost jumped on that Kmart/Sears deal that brought the Mario Bros bundle to $208 after $60 worth of rewards and $30 cash back from Discover. The deal was over/fixed by the time I decided to pull the trigger.

melman101

Count me in this group. Got the Mario Kart 8 bundle after this years E3 conference. Been playing MK8 and NSMBU. NSMBU is amazing! Loving it. I also got Windwaker HD but haven't tried it yet and never played it before. Can't wait!

This system is amazing. Loving it.

hitgirl

Didn't buy one, but took mine out of the closet and plugged in back in. Bought Mario Kart 8 and fell in love with it, using the Pro controller though. The damn Gamepad just makes me hate the system so much, I wish I could just set up some setting in the Wii U that was "Pro Controller only" and the damned gamepad would stay shut off.

J3ffro

Here's a quick list of some games worth checking out for the Wii:

A Boy and his Blob
A Shadows Tale/Lost in Shadow
Bully Scholarship Edition
Deadly Creatures
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Fragile Dreams Farewell Ruins of the Moon
Ivy the Kiwi?
Kirby’s Epic Yarn
Kororinpa
Last Story, The
Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword, The
Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess, The
Mario Kart Wii
Metroid Other M
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Muramasa The Demon Blade
Mushroom Men The Spore Wars
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Punch-Out!!
Sin and Punishment Successor of the Skies
Sonic Colours
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Wario Land the Shake Dimension
Xenoblade Chronicles
Zack & Wiki Quest for Barbaros’ Treasure

That is a great resource, as a new Wii U owner who never had a Wii - thank you.

haircut

I got a refurbished unit for the mk8 launch, having a blast with it so far. Had a GC but skipped the Wii so there should be a huge backlog to enjoy on the cheap.

dreamfall

Just bought a refurbished Wii U from Nintendo's site!

SO FREAKIN' EXCITED!

I got 3DWorld way back when from a B2G1, got Razor's Edge for $5, Zombii U for $10 and so READY for MK8 and W101!

All for the glory of Bayonetta, X, & The Devil's Third.

In MY VEINS! I just hope the system comes in great condition!

$200

Banned
Ordered a refurbished one this afternoon too!
And Mario Kart 8 from Amazon.

....hopefully nobody steals my package :S

If you live in Europe Fatal Frame(Project Zero) II is one of the best horror games ever made and is worth picking up if you're new to the Wii systems. Still an unbelievable shame that it didn't come to the US. Or you can import it and play it via dolphin!

HUELEN10

What's the best current deal on a Wii U?
205 USD shipped off store.nintendo.com! Bundle it with a nunchuck combo for only 225 USD shipped. Then, wait until the 22nd, that's when all Wii U games are buy two get one at Target! So, you could get a Wii U, second controller set, plus Nintendoland, Mario Kart 8, 2 other 60 USD titles, plus your free Mario Kart 8 bonus game for only 345 and tax which makes it a hell of a lot better than the Mario Kart 8 bundle, truly the best deal in town. And if you really want a Wheel, it's on Amazon for 12 USD, go nuts.

Protip: Want a Pro Controller? YMMV, but many walmarts have their white ones reduced to 35-37 USD. Remember to never, ever buy a bootleg/knockoff Pro Controller, they are absolute shit.

HUELEN10

I already own one, but I'm seriously considering buying another for the living room.
With their current account system, and locked saves, that might not be the wisest idea, unless you are totally cool with make it its own independent setup. A friend of mine set his up between the 2 rooms, and connected it to 2 TVs via an HDMI splitter, so you could do that if you have the time, space, resources, and knowhow.

Bought one within the last month. I had been watching as the catalog grew. NSMB U, then Zelda WWHD, then 3D World, and so forth. Then MK8 was the tipping point and I could no longer hold on. Traded in a bunch of lame stuff at my local VG store and had enough credit to only pay $60 for the NSMB bundle.

Once I got it, I more or less abandoned my Xbox 360 and PS3. The Wii U is terrific, definitely a great purchase.

Skimming this thread, it seems that at times it's getting towards the fanboy/console-war zone. No need for that; all consoles have (or will have) something cool to offer!

Ok, so I was one of the most critical people when it came to the Wii U (and for good reason). You look at the specs, when it came out, it's lack of features, etc. and it is hard NOT to criticize it. When people would say "next gen has already begun" I would laugh. I've played games nearly my entire life since the NES, and owned a majority of consoles since. Gaming has become one of my only hobbies because of my line of work (24/7 live-in with college students) so I take it more serious now than ever. If I'm not working, I am probably playing a game.

I've been playing with my Wii U for a little over 24-hours now. I know it will take awhile to get a genuine feel for it as this could just be a honeymoon period, but holy cow.

No matter what game I am playing, no matter what feature I am examining...I feel joy. Joy to the point where I am often smiling ear-to-ear. This is something I have not felt in a long, long while while gaming. I don't know when gaming became a chore to me, an endless grind, or a depressing emotional roller coaster, but that seems to be the only type of games I play on PC, Xbox, or PS4. I thought I was immune to toxic MOBA-style behaviors, constant blood and gore, and "adult situations". In fact, I thought that was what I wanted most because I kept purchasing it over and over.

I am absolutely blown away by this recent impromptu purchase. Whether it is the cute Mii emotions at the end of MK8 multiplayer sessions, the amazingly youthful comments scattered by children from across the world in 3D world ( I could read them for hours. Kids love fart jokes), or just everything about Pikmin and the gameplay of the aforementioned games, I am having legitimate, care-free fun. Whereas I'm used to hating everyone in a gaming lobby, I suddenly feel like I want to be everyone's friend and have an endless friends list. Where I usually care about being on top, often raging in my head when a teammate messes up or I screw up, I suddenly do not care about endgame stats. I've lead 2/3 of pretty much every online Mario Kart match I have played only to end up 4th because of the last corner and I couldn't have more fun. All it takes is one "I'M USING TILT CONTROLS" and I'm nearly crying in laughter for some reason.

For all companies, branding is vital to their survival. Nintendo's emphasis on "play" and "fun" I felt were just buzzwords such as "Greatness Awaits". Little did I know that it is very real.

Thanks NeoGAF for another great impulse purchase. Between my Plasma and this, you all continue to stray me in the right decision.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
205 USD shipped off store.nintendo.com! Bundle it with a nunchuck combo for only 225 USD shipped. Then, wait until the 22nd, that's when all Wii U games are buy two get one at Target! So, you could get a Wii U, second controller set, plus Nintendoland, Mario Kart 8, 2 other 60 USD titles, plus your free Mario Kart 8 bonus game for only 345 and tax which makes it a hell of a lot better than the Mario Kart 8 bundle, truly the best deal in town. And if you really want a Wheel, it's on Amazon for 12 USD, go nuts.

Protip: Want a Pro Controller? YMMV, but many walmarts have their white ones reduced to 35-37 USD. Remember to never, ever buy a bootleg/knockoff Pro Controller, they are absolute shit.

Shit, thanks man!

Just the info I needed.

HUELEN10

I actually bought a Wii U a couple of weeks after it was released.
Day one here, and it's been awesome since!
Shit, thanks man!

Just the info I needed.
No prob. If the math works out better any other way, I won't hesitate to post it.

And for those of you going all-in digitally, or those that are running out of space, one of the best externals for Wii U is on sale on amazon right now for under 80 USD, the Canvio Desk.
QSoLhMO.jpg
It's a self-powered drive (meaning it comes with its own power supply), and is one of the ones recommended by NOA. If you are tidy like me, this means you can buy a 4 port full-powered USB hub to plug in an ethernet dongle and your GCN controller adapter, and have a free port on the back of the console, while connecting the HDD directly to the other port; no need to have things attached untidy in the front (save for charging your Pro Controller, which you won't need to often do due to its insane battery life). Once you use an HDD on your Wii U, move everything to it and treated as a tether device. In other words, do not dick around connecting and disconnecting it. Furthermore, when using bus-powered drives (drives without an AC adapter), ALWAYS use a Y-cable to ensure enough power is being fed to the disk. Oh, and one more thing...

DO NOT USE USB FLASH STICKS! Too many people have problems with them, one of them here on GAF even lost everything. Nintendo warns against it, and it seems to be for good reason. Just don't do it!

jetsetrez

They sold me. I genuinely never thought they would sell me on a Wii U; I had all but written it off the entire time during its incredibly long drought, and still felt sour after being so disappointed with the Wii and the feeling that they had abandoned the core audience. I figured I was done with Nintendo, unless they ever decided to release games on other platforms.

But man, they've finally got the games, and that's what matters. I'm very happy to be wrong about the Wii U. I have no idea how it will continue to fare in the marketplace, but for me, they've shown me the games that I want to play. Mario Kart looks absolutely incredible, and it comes with a free copy of Pikmin 3 for me, and P1&2 were some of my favorite games. I'll catch up on Wonderful 101, Donkey Kong, and maybe Zombie U and a few others.

Pretty much everything they showed at E3 made me really happy; I'm excited for Captain Toad, Splatoon looks like a ton of fun and a fresh take on the genre, Yoshi's Wooly World looks unbelievable, Bayonetta 1 is my favorite 3d action game and 2 looks great, and Zelda looked amazing. I'll be happy to see Miyamoto's new games, too.

I also gave up on the Wii not too long into its lifespan, so I'll be happy to pick up Kirby's Epic Yarn, Galaxy 2, Punch Out, and maybe Skyward Sword and Metroid Prime 3.

So yeah, just put the order in for the $200 refurbished deluxe set from Nintendo, along with a Wiimote Plus and nunchuck.

Also, I love Luigi. Nintendo, Luigi saved you. Any success you may have, is attributable to Luigi.
Luigi's Mansion 3 pls.

can someone tell me why I can use a USB stick with my Xbox no problem but apparently plugging one into my Wii U will instantly liquify everything and everyone I've ever loved?

HUELEN10

can someone tell me why I can use a USB stick with my Xbox no problem but apparently plugging one into my Wii U will instantly liquify everything and everyone I've ever loved?
Power, and the unknown writecycles/caching that happens with external mass storage devices on Wii U. If they explicitly warn against it, and people have had problems, it's just not meant to be used on the system, as stupid or backwards as it may seem.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
Had mine since launch and it's great to see others joining the bandwagon.

SmokeMaxX

Ok, so I was one of the most critical people when it came to the Wii U (and for good reason). You look at the specs, when it came out, it's lack of features, etc. and it is hard NOT to criticize it. When people would say "next gen has already begun" I would laugh. I've played games nearly my entire life since the NES, and owned a majority of consoles since. Gaming has become one of my only hobbies because of my line of work (24/7 live-in with college students) so I take it more serious now than ever. If I'm not working, I am probably playing a game.

I've been playing with my Wii U for a little over 24-hours now. I know it will take awhile to get a genuine feel for it as this could just be a honeymoon period, but holy cow.

No matter what game I am playing, no matter what feature I am examining...I feel joy.
Joy to the point where I am often smiling ear-to-ear. This is something I have not felt in a long, long while while gaming.
Welcome to the club. Glad you've seen the light :)

Day one here, and it's been awesome since!
It has been nice. And it's the first console I've ever bought so close after it was released.

And I'm glad I did it because it was really fun.

That external hard drive is really nice, too. Mine's just a Seagate and it's also 2TB. It was a leftover one I had for the PC because I had run out of room for movies and music on my desktops and laptops. But I didn't need it anymore since I bought more internal hard drives and built more computers. I think it's this one.

But I think yours is prettier. I would be nifty too if it came in white. I like white electronics. I actually bought the white Wii U just because it was white.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Was thinking of getting a refurbished one from Nintendo, but I realized I really only want one for Smash Bros. and Star Fox and I already have other games to play on PS4, Vita, and 3DS so I'm gonna hold off until next year probably.

Kyzon

Here's a quick list of some games worth checking out for the Wii:

A Boy and his Blob
A Shadows Tale/Lost in Shadow
Bully Scholarship Edition
Deadly Creatures
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Fragile Dreams Farewell Ruins of the Moon
Ivy the Kiwi?
Kirby’s Epic Yarn
Kororinpa
Last Story, The
Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword, The
Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess, The
Mario Kart Wii
Metroid Other M
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Muramasa The Demon Blade
Mushroom Men The Spore Wars
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Punch-Out!!
Sin and Punishment Successor of the Skies
Sonic Colours
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Wario Land the Shake Dimension
Xenoblade Chronicles
Zack & Wiki Quest for Barbaros’ Treasure

Also, Red Steel 2
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2
Madworld (I liked it at least)
Pandora's Tower

Terrell

No matter what game I am playing, no matter what feature I am examining...I feel joy. Joy to the point where I am often smiling ear-to-ear. This is something I have not felt in a long, long while while gaming.

Just as an aside, what was the last Nintendo console you owned?

I don't know when gaming became a chore to me, an endless grind, or a depressing emotional roller coaster, but that seems to be the only type of games I play on PC, Xbox, or PS4. I thought I was immune to toxic MOBA-style behaviors, constant blood and gore, and "adult situations". In fact, I thought that was what I wanted most because I kept purchasing it over and over.

Last gen, man. It was all last gen.
And it's no wonder you kept buying it over and over, you don't have THAT many options outside of it. It conditions you to think it's what you want, because why would you not want what is the primary offering on the console you own?

For all companies, branding is vital to their survival. Nintendo's emphasis on "play" and "fun" I felt were just buzzwords such as "Greatness Awaits". Little did I know that it is very real.

Thanks NeoGAF for another great impulse purchase. Between my Plasma and this, you all continue to stray me in the right decision.

In the land of buzzwords and PR, it is very easy to forget that sometimes, it's not just a line, it's a mission statement. It's reflected in most of the decisions they make and it comes across in their work. It's why people never let go of Nintendo... for all their faults, they can still deliver that single thing fairly consistently.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's the best open-world game to date, if I'm asked. That's because Lego City Undercover's city is more alive than any other I've seen. It's also got the most entertaining side-missions when compared, for example, to Ubisoft's games.

Add to that the story and the characters and especially the humor and you've got a winner. It's truly a great game, all the other Lego games pale in comparision.

And it has one of the best stories in recent history in games. And one damn epic final mission. Unless you hate the Lego games' gameplay style it's a must play on Wii U.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom