• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who has bought a Wii U within the past week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pringles

Picked up a Mario Kart bundle, ZombiU and two Pro Controllers. Also bought Wind Waker digitally as soon as I had booted up the system and plan to take Pikmin as my free game.

CradleOfMan

Neo Member
can someone tell me why I can use a USB stick with my Xbox no problem but apparently plugging one into my Wii U will instantly liquify everything and everyone I've ever loved?
Standard flash drives are not designed for high cycle read/write usage which is likely what the WiiU is putting it through. You can get them, but then the memory type and price is similar per GB to a low capacity SSD.

Just bought a family premium set used in Tokyo, and as well as NSMBU and Wii play U or whatever the hell it's called, I bought Mario Kart, 3D land and Donkey Kong from the same seller for about $300. Only 3 months old, with warranty, and seemingly with none of the club Nintendo stuff redeemed including the code for 1 month 'trials' that came with MK8 here (guess I will download wonderful 101 and pikmin as I can't imagine they have as much replay value as some of the other options). I got a good deal, right?

Flandy

Picked up MK8 and Zombi U on Saturday for a grand total of $45 for the pair and I ordered one of the Refurbished units from the Nintendo website a few hours ago. So yeah, I got one within the last week. Can't wait for it to get here :)

danmaku

I wanted to get one last week but I missed an absurdly good deal (170€ shipped for the 32GB Nintendoland bundle) and now I'm waiting for another good one.

Lord Phol

Bought mine this weekend!
Got:

• Mario Kart 8
  • Pikmin 3
  • New Super Mario Bros U
  • New Luigi U
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Zelda Wind Waker HD
  • Zombie U
Only tried Zombie U so far, it's really hard and scary D:. Looking to expand on both Wii U and Wii games, so any gems and tips are appreciated!

PorllM

Banned
Picked up a Mario Kart bundle, ZombiU and two Pro Controllers. Also bought Wind Waker digitally as soon as I had booted up the system and plan to take Pikmin as my free game.

Great choices, you're gonna have a ton of fun. Once you've finished those I'd recommend 3D World and Wonderful 101 if they interest you.

tanuki

Mario Kart Bundle
Mario 3D World
New Super Mario Bros U
Pikmin 3
Nintendo land
Wonderful 101
ZombiU

Aww yeah, that new console feeling.

I also looove the fact I can use all my old Wiimotes and classic controllers (and presumably GameCube in the near future). It's so annoying having to buy new controllers every gen.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I don't know if Nintendo won E3, but it totally won new fans :)
aVnJAyP.jpg

*PS4

pringles

Great choices, you're gonna have a ton of fun. Once you've finished those I'd recommend 3D World and Wonderful 101 if they interest you.
Yeah I was considering picking up 3D World as well, I'll probably do that eventually. W101 isn't really my thing but it's getting so much praise around here that I might have to try the demo at least.

So far I'm in love with the gamepad and both MK8 and Wind Waker HD are GORGEOUS. Haven't tried Zombi yet, gathering courage.

iratA

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Bayonetta 1+2 and Mario Vs Donkey Kong surprised me the most and all look like top tier upcoming titles.

Others like Smash Bros. U and Zelda U are almost guaranteed hits regardless.

So yeah I feel like the Wii-U has got plenty of game on the horizon. Glad I jumped on board recently.

Got:

• Mario Kart 8
  • Pikmin 3
  • New Super Mario Bros U
  • New Luigi U
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Zelda Wind Waker HD
  • Zombie U
Only tried Zombie U so far, it's really hard and scary D:. Looking to expand on both Wii U and Wii games, so any gems and tips are appreciated!

The wonderful 101 for sure.

I'm getting into monster hunter, if you have others to play with then definitely give it some thought.

The super mario galaxy games for sure as well.

Also, something a bit different, rhythm heaven.

Felensis

Banned
Thanks to GAF I already joined the club when the MK8 Premium Pack was released recently. In the meantime I've completed MK8 nearly 100% (only some 3-stars left). What a gem it is! SM3DW, Zelda WW and, once again thanks to GAF, W101 are already waiting on my Wii U's internal memory to be started and played by me :)

Originally Posted by Macapala

Here's a quick list of some games worth checking out for the Wii:

A Boy and his Blob
A Shadows Tale/Lost in Shadow
Bully Scholarship Edition
Deadly Creatures
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Fragile Dreams Farewell Ruins of the Moon
Ivy the Kiwi?
Kirby’s Epic Yarn
Kororinpa
Last Story, The
Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword, The
Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess, The
Mario Kart Wii
Metroid Other M
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Muramasa The Demon Blade
Mushroom Men The Spore Wars
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Punch-Out!!
Sin and Punishment Successor of the Skies
Sonic Colours
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Wario Land the Shake Dimension
Xenoblade Chronicles
Zack & Wiki Quest for Barbaros’ Treasure

Seriously, please add Excite Truck to that list immediately..

Best arcade racer ever.

FeiRR

Banned
I just did today, also ordered MK8 and Pikmin. I'll get Wind Walker as a free game. This is crazy, I haven't even played on WiiU for half an hour and I have a huge backlog on PS4/PC. This must be some kind of global Nintendo virus!

coopolon

I think I'm going to order a refurb today.

Then get MK8 from Amazon and use my code for Pikmin or NSMBU

My understanding is I can also buy another code for one of the other games off of someone who redeemed the MK8 Club Nintendo promo correct? I know I can't redeem another MK8 Club Nintendo, but I think fi they do it and get the download code then give it to me then I can use it. Does anyone know if that is accurate?

SeanR1221

Update!!

Convinced the wife. It helped I went into the ER yesterday and had to get my appendix out.

Getting one after I'm discharged.

Lord Phol

The wonderful 101 for sure.

I'm getting into monster hunter, if you have others to play with then definitely give it some thought.

The super mario galaxy games for sure as well.

Also, something a bit different, rhythm heaven.

I'm a bit sceptical towards 101, it looks fun and all but not really like my type of game.
Super Mario Galaxy I got covered!

Question about Monster Hunter, is it still fun to play solo?

bought a wii u mk8 bundle at target using all that 3x trade-in money from a few weeks back. paid about $10 out of pocket.

grabbed 3d world, xenoblade (can finally get to this now that i can play wii games over hdmi), and w101 should be arriving in the mail tomorrow.

Danis

Neo Member
I ordered a refurbished unit from store.nintendo.com on Friday. So... I don't know how that will effect sales. I'm sure it doesn't really "count". But I'm in the install base now!

Bumhat

Got:

• Mario Kart 8
  • Pikmin 3
  • New Super Mario Bros U
  • New Luigi U
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Zelda Wind Waker HD
  • Zombie U

That is an excellent list, I highly recommend getting Nintendo Land too as it has some fantastic multiplayer games and is still pretty decent in single player. As for the Wii, if you haven't tried the Metroid Prime Trilogy, Xenoblade, or the Mario Galaxy games yet then they are absolute must-haves.

In other news I'm glad you're getting into ZombiU, I bought it full-price and have no regrets. Prepare to crap your pants and die a lot!

I think I'm going to order a refurb today.

Then get MK8 from Amazon and use my code for Pikmin or NSMBU

My understanding is I can also buy another code for one of the other games off of someone who redeemed the MK8 Club Nintendo promo correct? I know I can't redeem another MK8 Club Nintendo, but I think fi they do it and get the download code then give it to me then I can use it. Does anyone know if that is accurate?
Bolded is correct. Since you said refurb I'm guessing you are in North America. That means you can also make a sub-account and link it to your main account via the family account setting to register 2 copies of the games (the US FAQ actually mentions this so I don't imagine there being trouble) if you do end up with a club Nintendo slip instead of the download code.

coopolon

Bolded is correct. Since you said refurb I'm guessing you are in North America. That means you can also make a sub-account and link it to your main account via the family account setting to register 2 copies of the games (the US FAQ actually mentions this so I don't imagine there being trouble) if you do end up with a club Nintendo slip instead of the download code.

Awesome, thanks!

Going to buy one "for my sister" as a housewarming gift hopefully it will get here in time to take advantage of the MK8 promotion for the W101.

Javier

To those that are still on the fence on getting a Wii U, remember you have until July 31st to get the free game with Mario Kart 8.

So great to see more Wii U love. It definitely deserves it at this point.

AdroitOne

Neo Member
That is a great resource, as a new Wii U owner who never had a Wii - thank you.

You know something, after playing this particular RPG for awhile now, I truly believe a ton of people slept on it when it came out. That game is Arc Rise Fantasia. It's a traditional RPG, the voice acting is not all that great, but man am I have fun with the game. Should definitely check it out if you can.

It's awesome to see that the efforts of Nintendo have an effect on Nintendo Wii U sales, because Nintendo is really trying alot to bring great games to gamers and in my opinion more than other companys. Nintendo deserves to be successful, they probably are not doing everything right in the eyes of many gamers, but in the end you can be sure that you will always get great games on Nintendo consoles sooner or later which are innovative and unique ;)

Trojan X

Banned
Me.

After all the doom and gloom Nintendo has had since launch, wow, seems like a major change in GAF opinion this past week. With a $200 system, plenty of good games today, and a great E3 showing, I'm back.

I know I'm not the only one here.

I'll definitely join you nearer to Bayonetta 2 release - Nintendo's next system seller after Mario Kart 8.

I actually think Hyrule Warriors is going to sell a hell of a lot more systems than Bayonetta.

Yeah, the Bayonetta 2 package definitely helps its cause but it's going to be one of those system sellers for that handful of people and not at all overall.

At least it'll sell better than The Wonderful 101.

Not sure about Hyrule Warriors though I think it will move systems, especially in Japan.

I wonder how many people will buy it because of Zelda, then hate it.

Still counts!!!

I'll be buying all 4 of Nintendo's Wii U retail releases this fall:

Hyrule Warriors
Bayonetta
Captain Toad
Smash

They all look so good. Least excited for Hyrule Warriors though..

y2dvd

I actually think Hyrule Warriors is going to sell a hell of a lot more systems than Bayonetta.

Which could be true but I can't lie, Hyrule Warriors' gameplay looked dull and boring on the E3 stream. The guy playing was funny though lol.

Pikmin is amazing! I got that as my free game and have been enjoying it very, very much!

Just as an aside, what was the last Nintendo console you owned?

Gamecube. I skipped both the Wii and 64.

The control pad is going to take some getting used to. I get some major hand cramps. Fortunately I snagged the Pro controller as well to help me transition.

Carlisle

I got mine when the Windwaker bundle came out. Congrats to all the newcomers! You won't regret it, it's easily the best current gen console to have right now. Largest library with the most high-scoring titles. The other day I went on metacritic and counted up all the PS4/One/U console exclusives scoring 70 and above: 2 for X1, 6 for PS4, and 17 for Wii U. Over double the high-scoring exclusives of PS4/One, combined.

It might not always be the best value over the others, but right now it can't be beat. Just gotta take a closer look at what it really offers to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom