• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who has overstayed their welcome this not E3

Which game is overstaying it's not E3 welcome?

• Final Fantasy XVI

Votes: 28 18.7%
  • Street Fighter 6

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Hellblade 2

Votes: 50 33.3%
  • Immortals of aveum

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • Exoprimal

Votes: 13 8.7%
  • Skull n Bones

Votes: 25 16.7%

• Total voters

StueyDuck

The premise is simple, a thread about games that are over advertising to us mere plebs, this can be a game that just keeps showing up every year or was a recently announced game that keeps getting shoved in your face, whether it is interesting or not.

To be clear this isn't about a game being good or bad, this is more about games where you really wish they woud hit the breaks with their marketing.

An example of a previous year would be deathloop

My nominees are as follows:

Final Fantasy XVI - I've made it clear that after the demo I'm way into this game, but it feels like it's showing up constantly. From trailers to impressions to demos.

Street fighter 6 - much like ff, I'm excited for this game but It feels like a non stop barage of trailer after trailer.

Hellblade 2 - we keep seeing emotional face acting year after year and we haven't really seen much else, it feels they either need to open the floodgates now or just go quiet till there is something meaty to show

Immortals of aveum - my personal pick and will this game just shut up now, it seems to be everywhere and I don't really see a huge audience of people excited for the game.

Exoprimal - while not as bad as the others in terms of trailers, there have been multiple play tests and I feel this one might just let Capcom down

Skull and bones - fuck off skull n bones, no one invited you.

Any games you feel should be added to the list of games we have just been inundated with marketing or updates and so on? (games that didn't need to be at not E3)

Also let's be rational about this, let's not say something silly that was literally just announced because you have some bone to pick with it.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
3x.webp

DonJorginho

Banned
Hellblade 2, to think it was first announced back in 2019 and we still haven't see any actual idea of how the game will play is baffling.

It definitely looks outstanding visually, and I'm sure the narrative will be enticing, but they haven't managed to show us what the game will actually be outside of two more or less on rail cinematics.

This year should've been when we got the big gameplay blowout, instead we got a very pretentious 4 minute bore of a cutscene that dragged the pacing of the showcase to a halt.

StueyDuck

Hellblade 2, to think it was first announced back in 2019 and we still haven't see any actual idea of how the game will play is baffling.

It definitely looks outstanding visually, and I'm sure the narrative will be enticing, but they haven't managed to show us what the game will actually be outside of two more or less on rail cinematics.

This year should've been when we got the big gameplay blowout, instead we got a very pretentious 4 minute bore of a cutscene that dragged the pacing of the showcase to a halt.
I think the fact that there is such long gaps between showings makes it sting more as well

StueyDuck StueyDuck It's fine for us to start calling this 'SGF' or 'Summer Games Fest'. E3 is dead and using 'not E3' as a replacement noun in a sentence is making everyone's brains break.

Edit: And my answer is Skull and Bones. Every other game youv'e listed is either already fun to play or promising enough to try. I feel absolutely nothing towards Skull and Bones.

Last edited:

fermcr

The premise is simple, a thread about games that are over advertising to us mere plebs, this can be a game that just keeps showing up every year or was a recently announced game that keeps getting shoved in your face, whether it is interesting or not.

To be clear this isn't about a game being good or bad, this is more about games where you really wish they woud hit the breaks with their marketing.

An example of a previous year would be deathloop

My nominees are as follows:

Final Fantasy XVI - I've made it clear that after the demo I'm way into this game, but it feels like it's showing up constantly. From trailers to impressions to demos.

Street fighter 6 - much like ff, I'm excited for this game but It feels like a non stop barage of trailer after trailer.

Hellblade 2 - we keep seeing emotional face acting year after year and we haven't really seen much else, it feels they either need to open the floodgates now or just go quiet till there is something meaty to show

Immortals of aveum - my personal pick and will this game just shut up now, it seems to be everywhere and I don't really see a huge audience of people excited for the game.

Exoprimal - while not as bad as the others in terms of trailers, there have been multiple play tests and I feel this one might just let Capcom down

Skull and bones - fuck off skull n bones, no one invited you.

Any games you feel should be added to the list of games we have just been inundated with marketing or updates and so on? (games that didn't need to be at not E3)

Also let's be rational about this, let's not say something silly that was literally just announced because you have some bone to pick with it.

Why isn't there Spider-man 2 or Starfield on the poll?

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Has to be Hellblade 2.

That game was shown along with announcing the XSX in 2019...

To put this into perspective... Insomniac would have released 3 games that were all announced after his game by the time the game comes out. Maybe even 4 games. And all we still get are super weird obscure trailers that are seeming more like tech demos than anything else.

Has to be Hellblade 2.

That game was shown along with announcing the XSX in 2019...

To put this into perspective... Insomniac would have released 3 games that were all announced after his game by the time the game comes out. Maybe even 4 games. And all we still get are super weird obscure trailers that are seeming more like tech demos than anything else.
there're people that'll tell you that the original hellblade is essentially nothing more than the world's most over-extended, hyper-elaborate tech demo...

Last edited:

Wildebeest

You ask this like I can remember any of the really tiresome ones. But from watching the trailer, I couldn't even tell you what Hellblade 2 is and why anyone cares about it. PC gaming show was full of trailers like this, where you just had a name and some random nonsense that didn't tell you anything memorable about the game.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why isn't there Spider-man 2 or Starfield on the poll?
Because neither overstayed their welcome. Not like Hellblade 2 with yet another pretentious cinematic. At least it wasn’t another damned music video.

We barely saw anything from the other two until the most recent showing and they’re coming out this year. With Hellblade 2, we seen a lot of absolutely nothing. Yet, again. And still no release date. Since 2019.

Last edited:

Fbh

It's my most hyped game of the year but I definitely reached the point where it annoys me when FFXVI shows up because I don't actually want to see more of it before I play it (also the trailers are pretty samey).

Most disappointing was definitely Hellblade 2. They had us wait a year to basically show nothing.

Kacho

I’m not seeing any buzz for Hellblade 2. It’s basically invisible and rightfully so.

Skull n Bones gets my vote just because it’s been mentioned for so many years now. Just pull the bandaid off and release it Ubisoft. There’s no way to save it.

Drizzlehell

Banned

That's probably because it's gonna be pretty much the same BS as the first game, i.e. artsy-fartsy presentation with lots of walking and listening to incessant whispering, combined with basic-as-fuck combat and puzzles, punctuated by cutscenes and set pieces where big scary things will happen while the actress playing Senua will be overacting as fuck.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Hellblade 2 is the most obvious case of “our game isn’t ready to show yet we are going to continue to show nothing trailers for years that don’t say anything about how the game plays.” I bet that game is in development hell and that’s why they are hiding gameplay

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Hellblade 2 and Ninja Theory are given wayyy to much attention for what they are putting out. I fear they are going to be the new 343i, where Xbox are going to look back at all the freedom they allowed to end up with a pretentious as fuck game that people will play for 15mins on GamePass and go play something that is actually fun.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Hellblade 2 and Ninja Theory are given wayyy to much attention for what they are putting out. I fear they are going to be the new 343i, where Xbox are going to look back at all the freedom they allowed to end up with a pretentious as fuck game that people will play for 15mins on GamePass and go play something that is actually fun.
Another similarity…gameplay for halo infinite was not shown until about six months before it was originally supposed to launch, before then they only showed in engine cinematics. As we know, those cinematics looked a thousand times better than the actual game…sound familiar?

Last edited:

fatmarco

Hellblade 2, easily. To be 4 years in and have no idea what the hell the game is, whether we can actually interact with the game or whether its just one big glorified QTE (and really, if that).

The way they're advertising this game is completely unearned and pretentious. They aren't a prestige developer with legendary games to their credit (even if they aspire to be), so the idea that they think they can be showing the "Game" for 4 years but only show cutscenes, is pretty egotistical (unless its like someone said, in development hell).

If Starfield hadn't saved the show this game would, rightfully, be under more attack for (once again) showing absolutely nothing.

Bridges

I wish this weren't true, but it is.

I love Hellblade, but they are treating its sequel like the second coming. I expect it to be a good game but I honestly don't want to see it again until it's in my hands and on my Xbox.

EDIT: Love is a strong word. I thought the first was very good.

Last edited:

Brigandier

That's probably because it's gonna be pretty much the same BS as the first game, i.e. artsy-fartsy presentation with lots of walking and listening to incessant whispering, combined with basic-as-fuck combat and puzzles, punctuated by cutscenes and set pieces where big scary things will happen while the actress playing Senua will be overacting as fuck.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts 🤣

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Hellblade 2 by far.
But I think all these “we still don’t know how the game will actually play“ comments are in denial. What’s been shown probably IS 95% of what the game is about.

Helghan

Skull and Bones... Development started in 2013, that's already 10 years ago, and it was announced in 2017, 6 years ago. It was delayed multiple times, and no one is waiting on this game.

StueyDuck

I will say... results arent what I expected.

I thought immortals and SnB would be leading the charge haha

(Thread was mostly made because I keep seeing immortals everywhere and wondering whose actually buying the game)

Last edited:
Top Bottom