• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is asking for GaaS Games from Sony?

DrFigs

Yeah I want Sony to make multiplayer games. They don't have any. And this type of model is what's popular right now.

Trogdor1123

giphy.gif
Tough, but fair

Loxus

Why not? Sony need a good GaaS Ip to bring in constant revenue streams.

JUst look at the COD drama now.
Yep.
When looking at the revenue Fortnite and Warzone brings in, it would be wise to join the party.

The revenue from the same GAAS that seems to be hated, is still going to end up funding single player games.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Most will. But Sony is banking on one or two to be big enough hits and generate enough MTX revenue to make the whole process overall profitable.

If enough of them bomb Sony will have to deal with the fallout. Their own fans will start turning on them, and the vibe around the console will shift.

If enough of them bomb Sony will have to deal with the fallout. Their own fans will start turning on them, and the vibe around the console will shift.
Oh trust me. I agree with you. But Sony, like every one else developing GAAS games, are all hoping to be the next Fortnite or Destiny 2. All they see are MTX dollar signs, while ignoring the the fact that the majority of GAAS games fail.

Last edited:
The fried dopamine receptor types who get hooked on the gaas drip drip and spend all their money in game, heavy overlap with onlyfans simp crowd, they spend a lot in game.

Thank you, Fortnite.

Sanepar

Sadly some GaaS games bring in alot of money and a pub like Sony wants a piece of the pie. In their eyes it's worth burning huge amount of money in the hope of just to get one GaaS hit and it will be worth it in the end for them.

Sony is a biz they ain't your friend or family.
Not a generic crap like that Haven is doing.

Astray

Gold Member
GAAS games are a red ocean right now, that's why we see companies like EA suddenly focusing on SP games with minimal monetization once again (Dead space and the Jedi series). Hell, even Epic games is now publishing Alan Wake 2.

The problem here is that the formerly blue ocean of AAA singleplayer is now getting redder, and the blood in the GAAS ocean still hasn't subsided, so we are in an in-between state that's hard to predict.

There is a possibility that Sony eats losses out of all the new GAAS games, but it's also possible that they unexpectedly succeed with a few of them.

Jubenhimer

I see this as Sony addressing a problem it's had for a while. A lack of first party multiplayer offerings. Nintendo's success with titles like Mario Kart and Splatoon was what helped turn the Switch into a huge hit. It's natural that Sony wants to broaden their audience in that regard.

I know people are burnt out on GaaS at the moment, and I can understand why. But if you're a platform holder, you need a mix of good single player AND multiplayer offerings. Sony used to have such with games like Twisted Metal and SOCOM complimenting God of War and Uncharted. Not sure why anybody would be opposed to more variety in that sense.

splattered

I mean I'm not personally bothered by the fact that they are pursuing games as a service stuff... But I feel they really missed a great opportunity to bring back warhawk in a big way. It could have been amazing on the PS5 even in GaaS form.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
ji ji ji ji. bad PR week for Play Station. and is good to know they know they fucked up.

making copy-paste GaaS, sony is going to compete against their partners...that is going to be awkward.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Me! I love GaaS. Spent more than 4000 hours in Destiny. 3000 in Apex Legends and more than 1000 hours in MW2 (mainly DMZ).

My long game sessions are with friends and for the past 10 years single player games are just something I play when I want a good story or challenge. Nothing beats beating humans tho'.

DrFigs

idk why people get so upset about the buzzword. Sony needs multiplayer games period. They don't have any and they can't assume that any one of them will be successful, so they need to try lots of different projects. I don't see it as any different from their ps3 multiplayer push - where all of those games ultimately disappointed (sales wise). People want the old days where a game would just have tacked on multiplayer modes, I guess - but those days are gone. It's not just more profitable for the companies making them, audiences expect these types of multiplayer games now.

A clear reason why this is a good push for Sony is that they can credibly lose COD and Overwatch within the next 10 years - which are two of their most played games right now, with nothing to replace them.

Last edited:
I suppose they look at it like...they can make 10 of the same game and if one of them breaks out it'll generate enough funds to recoup all that + profit...I mean fortnite's literally printing money by the second.

GaaS games aren't for me, fuck em. I agree with you op 100%...but they're literally dedicating their energy to hitting the lottery with one of these rather than building great experiences.

Someone on here said it best...I forget the exact quote but they posted "The ps5 isn't successful because of fortnite or gaas, its successful because of the history the company/hardware that came before it laid out good experiences that made us want to invest".

Whatever yacht Tim Sweeney showed Jim Ryan must've really impressed him.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I think the gaming industry is putting their heads in the same hole that the movie industry shoved theirs years ago .... is like a complete disconnection with the core audience of their product ... they should have made a GAAS state of play separately

I cant even say what to think.. watching yesterday showcase made me root for a good xbox showcase .. and thats fucking ludicrous knowing what to expect from Phil and his minions

Cmon MS fire fucking phil spencer and put someone old school in charge!!! The ball is in your court !! Do it

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
As much as we all love GOW, TLOU, whatever, the fact is that the COD/Madden/FIFA slop drive a ton of Sony’s business and they are beholden to third parties totally for it and it can be completely upended in one stroke. They have to get some of this in house and under their control.

That said what they showed looked like dog shit. That FairGames thing looked absolutely awful and uninteresting. I can’t believe Sony bought that studio only to put out this thing that looks like the worst of Redfall, zoomer TikTok, and Ubishit all mashed together. If they showed Factions and it was awesome people would be giving the show a high grade.

Last edited:

Woggleman

They migh nott be wanting gaas games but many people like to complain about Sony's story driven single player games so why be surprised when they try and go in a different direction?

DrFigs

They migh nott be wanting gaas games but many people like to complain about Sony's story driven single player games so why be surprised when they try and go in a different direction?
I know these can't be the same people, but it's kind of nuts to look at how many people complain about Sony having too many single player games, but they try to do something else and a equally vocal group of people get mad that they're not making more single player games. It's okay to have some middle ground here. And frankly the way people talk about GAAS on this site is so out of touch. There are no games bigger than COD, Fortnite, and Minecraft. These are the most popular games ever. Clearly there's some demand for these types of games and Sony has not been making them.

Last edited:

Woggleman

I know these can't be the same people, but it's kind of nuts to look at how many people complain about Sony having too many single player games, but they try to do something else and a equally vocal group of people get mad that they're not making more single player games. It's okay to have some middle ground here. And frankly the way people talk about GAAS on this site is so out of touch. There are no games bigger than COD, Fortnite, and Minecraft. These are the most popular games ever. Clearly there's some demand for these types of games and Sony has not been making them.
They probably are the same people. A lot of gamers are pretty much like a nagging spouse. No matter what you do they will never be happy.

I sort of agree with you. As much as I dislike it I can't deny that GTA online has been a massive commercial success and why would a corporation not want that kind of money? The people who buy all these MTX should be blamed more than a business going where the money is.

splattered

ji ji ji ji. bad PR week for Play Station. and is good to know they know they fucked up.

making copy-paste GaaS, sony is going to compete against their partners...that is going to be awkward.
How do we know they know they fucked up? Did they make a public apology or something? I guess I missed it

rofif

Banned
Multiplayer only players, "60fps or bust" folk, and "nothing but gameplay matters" type.

Combination of all 3.
Which I categorise as nuveu du gameurs. People who are so new to gaming that they just discovered 60fps and think its end all be all. Or played Elden ring and like to boast about gameplay only

Last edited:

Fabieter

Sadly some GaaS games bring in alot of money and a pub like Sony wants a piece of the pie. In their eyes it's worth burning huge amount of money in the hope of just to get one GaaS hit and it will be worth it in the end for them.

Sony is a biz they ain't your friend or family.

Let's wonder what other company did such a huge gaas push and is also a steonghok for open world games. That publisher also has big problems because of the wrong focus now.

Well personally I think Sony are well and truly on top of the single player story driven experiences so wouldn't mind seeing some sort of multiplayer shooter now. Would like a Resistance game with a super solid multiplayer mode but I don't see that happening unfortunately.

Godot25

Banned
Nobody is ASKING Sony for GAAS Games.
But Sony understands that GAAS is where true money lies.
You can spend 200 million dollars on making huge singleplayer game, but if that game flops, you are screwed. Not to mention that those games are one-and-done type of purchases.
Or you can spend fraction of that on GAAS multiplayer shooter, monetise it with Seasons, Battle Passes etc. and you have constant stream of money.

Let me put it this way. If you bought Ragnarok, you paid 70$ for game that costs 200 million to make. If you are active Destiny 2 player, you are spending 80$ EVERY YEAR, just on new expansion and Seasons. Not to mention all cosmetic stuff that Bungie is selling. And you can bet your ass that Lightfall did not cost 200 million to make. Sony wants that constant stream of guaranteed revenue.

Last edited:

reksveks

It was always going to be interesting to see that dynamic play out. There is one or two genres that a first party GAAS wasn't going to compete with a major partner.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
The casuals that actually make Sony all the money. Only some old fart forum dwellers are crying about it, but in the real world people like to play (these) games.

Top Bottom