• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is (IYO) the best Batman character Terry/Bruce/Dick etc and why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Yeah, I just wiki this, and holy clusterfuck. This is why I don't read comic books. This stuff is a mess. Stories are just all over the place with things be shuffling left and right.

How so? Its pretty straight forward to me

Damn it, I thought I'd be alone in choosing Terry. It's just that there is so much background and development to his character since Batman Beyond is all about him, and it so perfectly captures a future adolescent culture from so many aspects. It's also the series with the biggest uphill battle at the start when no one thought they could do justice to a world with old Batman and a cocky tryhard replacement who will come of age to be worthy of the Batman title, so I give it more credit.

batman-beyond-9-60899bc4-original.gif

Dick has proven time and time again to be the best Batman. He basically has all the same skills bruce has (intelligence, martial arts skill, strength) plus he has an actual personality and knows extra stuff because of his background as a circus actor. He's basically like Batman + Spider-Man rolled into one. Plus his back and forth with Robin is so entertaining.

cdkee

Banned
tvh Terry always felt a bit too much like Spider-Man for me, too much with the quipping and I never felt there was anything especially in his character that would lead to him becoming Batman, it was just something that happened to him.

So yeah - Bruce Wayne is cool.

Well Terry's father was killed, and as an able bodied young man if he hadn't been an asshole he could've prevented it. I think that's pretty good reasoning for him to become Batman.

ZiZ

I love batman beyond, but let's face it... terry is just a guy in a suit, he didn't go through any training to become batman.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Dick Grayson is the best everything. They need to make a Black Mirror DCU animated film with NPH as Dick.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
tvh Terry always felt a bit too much like Spider-Man for me, too much with the quipping and I never felt there was anything especially in his character that would lead to him becoming Batman, it was just something that happened to him.

It was a bit more than that, since
Terry is genetically Bruce's son, created by Amanda Waller as a replacement for Bruce in case he was killed in action or got too old to protect Gotham.

The one minor nitpick I had about Morrison's BatDick run was that they constantly drew Dick as huge and imposing as Bruce, but Dick has a very different build. He must have some major shoulderpads in his version of the batsuit.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Dick Grayson is the best everything. They need to make a Black Mirror DCU animated film with NPH as Dick.

Truth. Can't believe they were planning on killing off the character during Final Crisis or Ultimate Crisis or whatever it was.

Re BB: I really enjoyed this series mostly because it showed Bruce dealing (or failing to deal with) his decline, which makes him a much more interesting character than the main Batman (whoever that is) who is perpetully 40-something and doesn't change much. I also think the ROTJ movie is probably one of the best Batman animated titles ever released - if you haven't seen it go track it down.

Isn't Bruce Wayne like 50 or something and like has a bunch of soldiers trained under him and crap? That's the last thing I know about Batman comics. This is why comic books are confusing to me.

Isn't Bruce Wayne like 50 or something and like has a bunch of soldiers trained under him and crap? That's the last thing I know about Batman comics. This is why comic books are confusing to me.

You're thinking DKR. That's a "what if" type of story that was written by frank millar. Its about an old batman coming out of retirement.

Slayven

Nigthwing>>Tim>>Damien>>Barb>>Misfit>> Spoiler>>>Alfred>> Onyx>> Orpheus>> Condiment King>>>Bruce>>>Huntress>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cassandra

Dick, easily. I wish they would have run with the Dick Grayson/Damien Wayne combo til the end of time. Reversing the personalities and having Batman be cheery and optimistic while Robin was the surly badass worked so, so well. Especially because, quite honestly, Bruce has rarely, if not ever, been written as an interesting and well developed character. He's like Superman in a lot if ways. Kind of locked into this personality type with little room for growth.

What really bugs me is I don't think they ever even gave a reason for why Dick stopped being Batman. They just rebooted continuity, but kept the Bat-verse at otherwise status quo and never mentioned anything about it, as far as I know.

If I ever become Editor in Chief at DC Comics, I'm totally undoing this New 52 shit and going back to Dick and Damien with Bruce out of the game.

You're thinking DKR. That's a "what if" type of story that was written by frank millar. Its about an old batman coming out of retirement.

That's the thing. I never know what is canon and what is not. I used to read some comics, but these things just makes it hard to keep up with. I really enjoyed the story about Batman getting his back broken by Bane.

Bruce. But I love him a helluva lot more when he's not a miserable sonofabitch, and every time I hear people say "Dick was the better Batman" what I'm really hearing is "why couldn't Bruce be a little more like Dick, as in less of a miserable sonofabitch?" And I agree, I really do, but that doesn't make Dick better than the original.

Once upon a time, DC, it was okay for Bruce to not be a miserable sonofabitch.

Riposte

Yup. I don't know how many members of the JLA have interacted with Damian, but they all know about him. Superman has tried to talk to Bruce about Damian from time to time.

He's been regularly featured alongside the rest of the Bat family.

tumblr_mmb26iKs191ryxw2uo1_500.jpg

Cass...

CorvoSol

Best batman is justice league cartoon batman and dark night returns old Bruce Wayne that don't give a shit.

Fuck batman beyond and terry worst batman cartoon of all.

I wondered who could hate Terry till i saw you.

Anyway i love Terry, but Bruce is the man.

Veelk

Banned
Bruce. But I love him a helluva lot more when he's not a miserable sonofabitch, and every time I hear people say "Dick was the better Batman" what I'm really hearing is "why couldn't Bruce be a little more like Dick, as in less of a miserable sonofabitch?" And I agree, I really do, but that doesn't make Dick better than the original.

I'm going to restrain my opinion on Dick, since I only read a bit of Morrison's Batman, but I will say that Batman has always been at his most compelling when he hates his life. I understand the need for variety, because what does misery mean when there is no joy to contrast it, but, at his core, Batman should be miserable. Still, I would wish less skilled writers would not compound it the way they do now.

-Horizon-

Damn it, I thought I'd be alone in choosing Terry. It's just that there is so much background and development to his character since Batman Beyond is all about him, and it so perfectly captures a future adolescent culture from so many aspects. It's also the series with the biggest uphill battle at the start when no one thought they could do justice to a world with old Batman and a cocky tryhard replacement who will come of age to be worthy of the Batman title, so I give it more credit.

batman-beyond-9-60899bc4-original.gif

Still get chills from that intro.

MartyStu

Bruce.

I like Dick and Terry as well, but they both lack Bruce's drive/sociopathy, and that has always been the most engaging thing about the character.

Tim has it though (we need more Tim-as-Batman stories).

Dick has proven time and time again to be the best Batman. He basically has all the same skills bruce has (intelligence, martial arts skill, strength) plus he has an actual personality and knows extra stuff because of his background as a circus actor. He's basically like Batman + Spider-Man rolled into one. Plus his back and forth with Robin is so entertaining.

Bruce is much more capable than Dick is. Theoretically Dick has much more potential (due in large part to starting out so early) though.

akira28

Current leadership disagrees and has made statements saying as much. That a being Batman means sacrificing everything, happiness included, etc. I guess because they like him noble and doomed. They think this is the best version of his image, but I don't know how they're getting these impressions. I refuse to believe the only ending for Bruce is a broken and lonely one. I feel like someone might be trying to bring the McGinnis storyline in so it could be part of the main plotline. Call me crazy.

Bruce is the bat. I like Terry in an elseworlds sort of way. But he's no heir to the Bat mantle. I thought them making Grayson the bat was gimmicky and also inevitable, and actually not badly done. It was fun, but we also knew it would end. Without Damian as the root, I don't think DickBat would have been nearly as good as it was.

TnK

Can someone please tell me what are the morrison books that I need to read? I have until Batman Inc. After the New 52 I honestly lost track of everything, and things became a mess, so what are the best batman reads since then.

Quit ironic that the New 52 became more confusing for me when it was meant to draw in new people.

Also since we are on comics (offtopic) what happened to GL after the new 52? I have all the GL books up intil the blackest night, but havent continued. Reached Sinistro Corps War.

Best Batman is Bruce, then Dick, and finally Damian. Only thing I dislike about Damian is that he kills. Bruce just nails it being batman, and to me, Dark Knight Returns Bruce is the best Bruce.

Jintor

:(

Such a fantastic character, but put her in a timeskip and you never see her again.

And never turned up in any animated materials. Unless you count that one un-named cameo in an alternate future in JL, which I don't, because THAT'S BULLSHIT

The one minor nitpick I had about Morrison's BatDick run was that they constantly drew Dick as huge and imposing as Bruce, but Dick has a very different build. He must have some major shoulderpads in his version of the batsuit.

What? No they didn't. He was shorter and the cape fit him different because he was slimmer. That's the point of the cape draping around him more than it does Bruce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom