• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who Is Mark Cerny, The Man Behind PS5?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Mark Cerny is what I see when I close my eyes.

PZJ7YR5.png

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It doesn't matter who he is. he is only 1 engineer and I don't see any reason why he is considered such a supermind

Trimesh

Banned
He seems to be a very smart guy - but I have to admit to finding the hagiographic tone of some of the fluff pieces about him irritating.

makaveli60

The PS4 is an insanely good system for 399 $. Hope he can replicate this with the PS5. I don't mind if it will be 499 or 599 $ as long as it will have the same price/value ratio as the PS4 had.
Edit: excellent article indeed

Last edited:
The amount of hype this guy gets... Obviously he has a big hand in the end result of the consoles but you are aware he doesn't do this alone right? There is a whole team of engineers. This is Steve Jobs kind of worship

Same here, have no idea why this guy gets any shine.

Humdinger

I don't think he gets that much praise and adulation. He is a soft-spoken, mild-mannered guy, not the type who'll seek attention or praise. He mostly operates behind the scenes.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Mark Cerny is like John Carmack except 1000 times better because he is a Sony exclusive. There is a rumor that Cerny has sweat on like 1000 of the first wave of ps5s and that they will have a 10x performance increase.

My buddy at Naughty Dog said that they are not allowed to look directly at Mark Cerny or else they could turn into a pillar of salt.

I knew he was a prodigy, creating the classic Marble Madness (which I owned on the NES), worked in Japan at SEGA, was part of the development team of Crash Bandicoot, and had a big hand in the PlayStation Vita and PlayStation 4. Also was the producer on this overlooked PlayStation title:

Last edited:
YOU MUST BE FUCKING KIDDING. do you have any idea what he has done for the gaming industry? he is a legend.

ah didnt know he was technical producer of death stranding - I have a feeling that means he worked hand in hand with kojima to ensure death stranding fits nicely into the ps5, while utilizing the ps4 to its max with lots of backend fuckery

llien

The guy who actually seems to have unholy skills, Jim Keller (Athlon, Ryzen):

PAQTMSM.png

As for Cerny, it's hard to judge, he might or might not have much of an impact.

OrionNebula

Steven Spielberg doesnt do everything ALONE.
Steve Jobs didnt do everything ALONE.
Conan O'Brien doesnt write all of his jokes.
Kojima doesnt do everything ALONE.
Ken Kutaragi didnt do everything ALONE.

But that’s not the case with Cerny I heard. He’s involved in everything from conception to actual finish.

The real reason Sony didn’t release the PS5 in 2019 is because Cerny miscalculated the time it would take him to build 20M consoles by hand, one by one

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The guy who actually seems to have unholy skills, Jim Keller (Athlon, Ryzen):

PAQTMSM.png

As for Cerny, it's hard to judge, he might or might not have much of an impact.

I agree Keller is a madly influential chip design guru. I think Cerny is not a HW designer per se, but one of those poli talented individual with a great understanding of both high performance software, development tooling and dev challenges, and performance optimisation and profiling of general software and 3D graphics and how HW fits into the equation.

Cerny has been involved into coding tools, producing games, designing games, doing level and game design work, writing highly optimised graphics code in many AAA titles and collaborated with many teams (and thus workflows and best practices, see his “Cerny method or Method” YouTube videos for a bit of great development insights).
He has been called multiple times as one of the few engineers tasked with figuring out the real performance muscle and development challenges of pre-release HW (see his involvement with PS2 and PS3 before anyone else could have a hand at coding them beyond SCE’s “secretly guarded” Tokyo core office).

There are two good scenarios to create a new HW architecture: a great HW person aided by trusted software gurus (Athlon) or a great SW person aided by trusted HW gurus (PS4, PS Vita, etc...) IMHO.

Ar¢tos

It's so easy (and sad) for anonymous internet people that have accomplished nothing in their lives to criticize and undermine the accomplishment of others.

He isn't the only person involved, but he is the one that leads and sets the direction of research/development. In the past 5 years there has been a lot of new Sony patents submitted under his name.

Animagic

Banned
I knew he was a prodigy, creating the classic Marble Madness (which I owned on the NES), worked in Japan at SEGA, was part of the development team of Crash Bandicoot, and had a big hand in the PlayStation Vita and PlayStation 4. Also was the producer on this overlooked PlayStation title:

That game wasn’t overlooked when it released, it was a huge release at the time.

Worked at Atari and made Marble Madness. Assisted SEGA's Master System games and also assisted with Sonic 2 with Sonic Team, went to make the Crash Series based on "Sonic's Ass" concept" and then made the Playstation 4 and Vita.

He's done a lot to get the praise, oh and he speaks Japanese fluently as well.

Worked at Atari and made Marble Madness. Assisted SEGA's Master System games and also assisted with Sonic 2 with Sonic Team, went to make the Crash Series based on "Sonic's Ass" concept" and then made the Playstation 4 and Vita.

He's done a lot to get the praise, oh and he speaks Japanese fluently as well.
Welcome Back!

Top Bottom