• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is the best Joker?

Who is the best Joker?

• Cesar Romero

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Jack Nicholson

Votes: 25 21.7%
  • Heath Ledger

Votes: 64 55.7%
  • Jared Leto

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Joaquin Phoenix

Votes: 18 15.7%

• Total voters

VulcanRaven

Who is the best Joker? Many actors have played him and almost all of them are great. Its hard to choose between Joaquin Phoenix and Heath Ledger. Both are Oscar worthy performances. Phoenix was great but I voted Ledger. The interrogation scene in The Dark Knight is one of my favorite movies scene ever. This is about live-action Jokers so I didn't include Mark Hamill.

Cesar Romero
914wV2TZ3OL._SX425_.jpg

Jack Nicholson

Heath Ledger
51EWkJLsRuL.jpg

Jared Leto
jared-leto1.jpg

Joaquin Phoenix
300470b4cd8988f03d26.jpeg

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Now, I ENJOYED The new Joker a bit but...hear me out here. Phoenix was literally just playing the same character he played in THE MASTER. So I'm gonna have to go with Romero.

The worst is Jared Leto. All the others nailed different interpretations of the character.
Leto was honestly good. But he wasn’t the Joker. He was Jason Todd and escaped, killed the joker and took over. In that way of thinking, the character is awesome

This is what I believe and can’t convince me otherwise

MilkyJoe

Who is the best Joker? Many actors have played him and almost all of them are great. Its hard to choose between Joaquin Phoenix and Heath Ledger. Both are Oscar worthy performances. Phoenix was great but I voted Ledger. The interrogation scene in The Dark Knight is one of my favorite movies scene ever. This is about live-action Jokers so I didn't include Mark Hamill.

Cesar Romero

Jack Nicholson

Heath Ledger

Jared Leto

Joaquin Phoenix

movies-mark-hamill-the-joker.jpg

Leto was honestly good. But he wasn’t the Joker. He was Jason Todd and escaped, killed the joker and took over. In that way of thinking, the character is awesome

This is what I believe and can’t convince me otherwise
I remember rumours about him being Jason Todd. This could save his rendition of the character.

Ledger, Phoenix, Nicholson and Romero all have good performances, but different strengths. Romero and to that regard Nicholson have the cartoony Joker pretty much nailed. Phoenix and Ledger have the more darker and more mental aspects of Joker as strength, but lacking a lot of the more typical cartoon elements, which in a way is a weakness of the portrayals.

If I had to choose who I felt embodied Joker the best, it'd be Ledger. Phoenix had the path of becoming a Joker, but never really functioning as him and it became too much like a commentary on social-political issues. Honestly, loved the movie, but a big part of my own liking of the Joker, is how mythological the character is, making any definitive origin story overall irrelevant in the scheme of things. It's not really the most interesting aspect of him and it often felt like focusing on his own personal issues in a way that wasn't befitting the Joker. Also weak in the comedic aspect.
Nicholson's approach felt a bit overly mob boss-y, though that criticism can be levied against Ledger's as well. Origin is thankfully shorter, which is what I think it should be, heck, the origin story itself should be unreliable, for the best. The comedic aspect is well-done here, although it also being very cartoony, which might be a preference issue. Well done with actually having Joker props, which is something that's missing in Phoenix and Ledger's portrayals for the most part. Still it's solid, but I feel like it really doesn't hit the portrayal just right. (ps: long time since I saw the movie, so had to look up clips to remember and judge)
Romero is the very cartoony Joker, more so even compared to Nicholson. That mustache though, can't ever unsee it.
Ledger overall just convinced me to fear the Joker. Honestly, the criticism I have is that the Joker seemed a bit too in control, lacking the more cowardly or outburst aspect he might show at times. Also, the "grounded" aspect of the portrayal makes a lot of the cartoony aspects, like props and to a degree the comedy, be removed . The psychological aspect is also to a degree less prevalent. But he's the one that overall convinced me the most of him being the Joker.

I'd love to see Mark Hamill take on Joker in a non-cartoon movie. Just to see if he could do it, considering his success voicing the Joker, which he's done very well.

Last edited:

Prison Mike

Banned
Ledger for me embodies him brilliantly phoenix was amazing but it was the prequel Nicholson standard great performance but still heath for me

I find it hard to choose a best as their performances are so tailored to their movies/shows. Like if you swapped the Jokers in each movie they suddenly wouldn't work...eh fuck it I'll choose Ledger. I feel his Joker had the least retention of the actor and was mostly the character.

I sure most (everyone?) can agree it isn't Leto's though. =P

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Ledger came up with a really fresh take on the character, his acting was straight up mind blowing at the time, but my heart still lays with Nicholsons performance. He is the real Joker for me, hands down, it's so much fun watching him. He paved the way for superhero villains on the big screen. Nicholson, true GOAT in the acting department.

Dark Star

Voted Ledger, for The Dark Knight masterpiece, but Phoenix was bloody brilliant in showcasing a very realistic and grounded Joker.

+1 for Mark Hamill needing to be in the poll.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Of the live action Jokers I've seen, Jack Nicholson was the best.

But the real answer is Mark Hamill.

i hate to admit this but i'm gonna say heath ledger

motherfucker

joaquin's joker was a pretty damn interesting take but he's still a cry baby ass bitch, which joker isn't, still a nice real world interpretation

ledger's joker, i mean he has little vulnerability, the script is designed for him to win 90% of the time, but with him you feel a clear sense of whimsicality and trolling

fucken over a decade later heath remains the king, on top of that he remains the most youthful joker yet

425.png

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Hamill has the voice for sure, Heath is my personal favorite, he overshadowed Batman 100% in this movie

Last edited:

Saber

Heath Ledger.

It felt like he incorporate the spirit of the Joker. As if you could see what he's up to and at sametime he's someone who you even don't understand. That part of him burning the money exemplifies what I'm talking about.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Obviously Joaquin's Joker, the problem with the other joker stars is they don't have their own movie.

Heath Ledgers performance was amazing, but I find his Joker pretty overrated. He didnt really do much.

He blew up a hospital with no one in it, failed to get two boats to blow each other up and killed Batmans girlfriend. All culminating in Gotham being crime free for several years between DK and DKR.

Jack Nicholson Joker fucked shit up while maintaining the Jokers spirit.

There wasn't enough of Phoenix Joker to really be able to tell.

Last edited:
I haven't see Phoenix's take on Joker yet, but Ledger was legendary. I can't see Phoenix beating his performance, but we'll see. It's going to take a LOT to change my mind.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Heath Ledgers performance was amazing, but I find his Joker pretty overrated. He didnt really do much.

He blew up a hospital with no one in it, failed to get two boats to blow each other up and killed Batmans girlfriend. All culminating in Gotham being crime free for several years between DK and DKR.

Jack Nicholson Joker fucked shit up while maintaining the Jokers spirit.

There wasn't enough of Phoenix Joker to really be able to tell.
He also caused Harvey Dent to go bad and killed many people. I like both performances but Ledger is better.

My favorite Joker scenes:

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Heath Ledger - his Joker was just the right blend of comic book theatrics and genuine psychotic.

PanzerAzel

I’ve always been partial to Nicholson.

I appreciate and greatly respect Ledger’s craft, but the Joker has never struck me as downright psychotic. He’s a sinister, homicidal prankster, but he is sane and clear of mind. It’s that he’s not a raving psychotic that makes him so unnerving. The recent Joker film I found to be an exploration of the descent into mental illness and madness more than anything else, and despite Phoenix’s phenomenal performance, frankly it’s a film that had absolutely no need for the source material on which it was based. Aside a few aspects, the film stands perfectly on its own. I’ve no idea why that needed to exist within the DC universe.

Though admittedly I’m not too familiar with the comics so....yea. Take this for what it’s worth.

Rockondevil

Nicholson for me if Hamill isn't in the list.
I get that people loved Ledger but as a massive DC comic fan since forever I just feel the character didn't give me Joker vibes and would've preferred they chose another character for him that was more similar to the portrayal.
But I also understand why they always choose Joker as not many people who only watch the films or hear about Batman occasionally know of his vast villain array.

cr0w

Old Member
Comic-based Joker would be Ledger. Overall performance would go to Phoenix.

Seeing how Ledger completely copied Tom Waits kind of took some of the shine off of his performance for me, even if he did an incredible job.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Ledger's is pure entertainment at its finest. Best acting performance maybe of them all?

Joaquin Phoenix did more with less imo and really put on a phenomenal performance. I'm still learning from it; it's no less of a masterful performance than Ledger's they're just different is all

Top Bottom