• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is the Better Action Hero?

The Guy Who Never Runs Out of Breath vs The Breathtaking Guy

• Total voters
I'm not saying that his type of action is worse dude, that is a matter of taste.

The sharknado example was pretty stupid, you have fucking steve from beverly hills being the protagonist in these movies, they are not one man army movies, they are just trash.

You answered your own question, they are different type of actions, like james bond are different type of action.

And cruise would look ridicolous in a commando movie or a martial arts movie like arnold would look out of place in a elegant 007 movie.

We cant exactly code or have different subgenres for the action genre and as it stands, Arnold, Stalone, whatever, have not made anything good in ages regarding action while Cruise has been constant over the years. Arnold was the action man until 2002. Its been 20 years. Cruise is the king atm. There is no one else that does action movies better than him for the last 20 years.

Nothing stops the Cruise Missile.

4pKmesT.gif

t4T239p.gif

sYKfGOV.gif

iTjvfj1.gif

h9vJitE.gif

jEifsfO.gif
I didn't love M:I3 as a whole very much but that might be one of his best runs, one long wide take, through and over interesting terrain. Peak physique, perfect form, like a machine.

Keanu is a truly genuine person, I really like the dude and his roles as Neo and John Wick are eternal, but if I had to choose one based solely on his acting / performance skills, I'd have to go with Tom Cruise.
But action heroes aren't solely reliant on the acting skills. They need to have something more, a believable inner strength that emanates visibly on screen from the moment they appear. They need to be likable, yet intimidating. And Keanu, despite being quite a terrible actor, has always had that.
Keanu Reeves is a bad actor who have like 5 amazing movies
Let's not undercut his importance in the genre. Speaking strictly action, Keanu's accomplishments are second to none, and roughly equal to Tom Cruise. Remember, for action, acting skill is not everything. If that were true, Cruise would be above just about everyone, even Arnold and Jackie Chan.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
We cant exactly code or have different subgenres for the action genre and as it stands, Arnold, Stalone, whatever, have not made anything good in ages regarding action while Cruise has been constant over the years. Arnold was the action man until 2002. Its been 20 years. Cruise is the king atm. There is no one else that does action movies better than him for the last 20 years.
Oh yeah, of course i'm talking about their golden era, right now cruise is only one who still act in action movies.

But i think that we can absolutely have different type of actions, because if i'm your friend and i ask you something like commando\rambo and you give me mission impossible\james bond, then i stop asking advises to you :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

One man army was a subgenre, not every action movie is a one man army type of movie, and we had subgenres for many genres, from horror to drama to comedy.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I would tell you to rewatch those cuz nowadays we no longer get those kind of action movies, at least not as good.
Believe me, i'm not a huge fanboy of these movies, i prefer MI1 over 95% of movies with arnie and i fucking hate expendables saga, it's silly with all the grandpas that still act though :lollipop_squinting:

That's why i told you that it wasn't a matter of better or worse, i appreciate cruise movies like you do.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Voted Tom in the other thread, but Keanu wins this one. Speed, Point Break, John Wick, Matrix.

The original John Wick might just be the greatest action movie of all time.

Top Bottom