• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is the king of interface, HUD and menu design?

MYE

Only one comes to my mind.
And I can't even think of a close second place...

diablo3_1.jpg

Diablo-III-2014-03-05-16-46-26-254.jpg

diablo-iii-console-01.jpg

Joan-Breaking-Not-So-Bad.jpg

gGMrqw4.jpg

starcraft-ii-heart-of-the-swarm-pc-1363269356-196.jpg

starcraft-ii-wings-of-liberty-screenshot-ME0001342228_2.jpg

mWqXTeL.jpg

7098-warcraft-ii-battle-net-edition-windows-screenshot-main-menus.gif
11378-warcraft-ii-tides-of-darkness-dos-screenshot-mission-objectives.gif

warcraft-ii-act-iii-quelthalas-map.jpg
warcraft_2_fin_orc.jpg

Since the Warcaft II days when I was a kid that it has actually been an absolute joy to spend time in Blizzard menus. I actually look forward to them. Its crazy!
The art in W2 menus are in fact one of the most early influences that set me into the path of becoming a designer/artist.
SO much time spent copying Metzen's artwork :´D. Good days!

Tailzo

In terms of look, Persona 4 is nice in my eyes.

But you don't really need a complicated UI for that game.

Dennis

Banned
No HUD is best HUD.

Is the game a flight sim?

If no, then make it playable without the HUD. It is OK if this makes the game harder.

Robin64

metroid-prime-2-echoes-20041021102512142_640w.jpg

Having the HUD as part of Samus' helmet is awesome. Not just some stuff on screen for us to see, but she sees it too.

I always felt like this is something Visceral were decent at. Menu UI was one of Dead Space's big innovations, right?

Agreed. The whole HUD design in Dead Space is pretty great. No HUD that floats somewhere in the corners of your screen, but instead the rig and other indicators on your back and the holographic munition counter above your weapon acts as such.
Very brilliant design in my opinion.

dead-space-600.jpg

Honorable mentions go to MGS4's circle interface that shows you enemy positions

metalgearsolid4gunsofthag3.jpg

and ZOE2's circle interface which shows incoming damage, enemy positions and destination markers.

anubis_1029_03.jpg

Say what you will about the gameplay etc... but dead sapce has easily some of the best HUD and menu design from an atmospheric/in universe perspective. Also, props to doom 3 and Riddick for having similar ideas.

Probably not my top choice, but I immediately thought of Sakurai's menus in pretty much all of his games. They have a nice, clear stylish feeling to them plus I love just messing around with the menu in Kid Icarus Uprising for reasons that I can't explain.

Any game that lets me completely customize what I can and don't see on screen. Guild Wars 1 was so perfect for this. I could hide and rearrange any HUD element. Something I really hope they bring back in a GW2 patch.

Mendoza

Masahiro Sakurai

Meteos

meteos-20050621010915971-1156600_640w.jpg

Smash Bros. Melee

melee.jpg

Smash Bros. Brawl

various18_071112a-l.jpg

Kirby's Air Ride

500px-Checklist.png

Kirby's Super Star

276247-superstar2_super.gif

Kid Icarus Uprising

merged%20gems%20KI%202-620x.jpg

Kirby's Adventure
ka_vvmap_ultragm2003.PNG

Amazing stuff. Great use of stylistic minimalism. A lot of the menus also have a bunch of haptic feedback like dragging menu items around with the stylus on the DS titles, or moving the menu perspective around with the C-Stick on the Gamecube titles.

ScOULaris

While it may not be the best interface ever, I feel compelled to give a special shout-out to Persona 4's menus:

persona-4-menu.jpg

They had a really cohesive, sleek aesthetic to them, and they fit the modern-jazzy vibe of the game perfectly. I especially liked the use of animated silhouettes in the backgrounds of the menus.

Top Bottom