• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is the king of interface, HUD and menu design?

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
The title wording is making my head hurt. What is an interface and what is part of it?

Haunted

The Dota 2 menu is damn impressive. Your inventory screen, embedded videos, a 3D model viewer, other people's profiles, reading up on lore and skills, everything is there, not interrupting you watching a game, playing a game or searching for the next game.

MYE

Bad looking menus and HUD elements can completely destroy a game visually.

diablo_characters_espanol.png

VS

PSABR-Character-select.jpg

7417-12-humorous-gifs-of-frightened-kids-5.gif

Keasar

I am a big fan of Amplitudes GUI design for their Endless Space game.

HQgf9.jpg

So clean, crisp, informative and lovely.

NSider

Matsuno RPG's

Tactics Ogre
image_thumb192.png

Uh, hell no. I was playing that very game just 10 minutes ago. The interface looks nice enough, but it's tedious to navigate, full of tiny icons, and requires way too many button presses for even simple things like party selection before battle, moving units, and comparing equipment while shopping.

And don't get me started on having to use the d-pad to navigate the map grid in that weird fixed camera angle. It's pretty awkward (up = up right, right = down right.. etc). The least they could do is use the analog stick as a cursor, instead of just free look.

epmode

Blizzard at the GOAT at menu design for sure, but I do love the GW2 UI, it's so clean yet has strong art direction.

Guild Wars 2's UI is lovely. Movable, resizable, stylish, and oh god the zoomable map is the best thing ever.

Endless Space would be up there as well if it scaled to high resolutions. It's unusable at my native resolution.

Hiroshi Minagawa
Lead UI Designer for FFXII and FFXIV:ARR

The UIs for these games are awesome, easy to read, simple to follow, scales nicely with increased complexity.
As far as XIV is concerned, the Cross Hotbar scheme for controllers is godlike.

Agreed with Dead Space and Riddick.

I would put Brutal Legend up there too, not just the live-action menu but also the map and fonts.

Flayer

Dead Space blew my mind with how good it was. The entire HUD being part of the in-game world and being so good too was an incredible achievement. Still sets the bar.

SJRB

Gold Member
I think the little moment in Titanfall when you get in the titan and the five screens individually light up to show the view is one of the most remarkable things I've seen in a long time.

It's a moment that takes about a second, but it really stood out for me.

Tain

I always loved the beatmania IIIDX menus. Seeing 6th Style in 2003 and simply using the modifier menu was awesome, though the controller plays a big part of that. Sadly I can't seem to find anything good online demonstrating them.

And they just got slicker-looking over time, even though they stuck around in standard definition for a bit too long.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Only one comes to my mind.
And I can't even think of a close second place...

And then you turn on Hearthstone and it feels like it's 2002 again. It's so bad...

KirbyKid

Masahiro Sakurai

Meteos

meteos-20050621010915971-1156600_640w.jpg

Amazing stuff. Great use of stylistic minimalism. A lot of the menus also have a bunch of haptic feedback like dragging menu items around with the stylus on the DS titles, or moving the menu perspective around with the C-Stick on the Gamecube titles.

I'm glad someone brought these up.

As gameplay huds metroid prime and dead space have the best ones without a doubt.

While it may not be the best interface ever, I feel compelled to give a special shout-out to Persona 4's menus:

persona-4-menu.jpg

They had a really cohesive, sleek aesthetic to them, and they fit the modern-jazzy vibe of the game perfectly. I especially liked the use of animated silhouettes in the backgrounds of the menus.

It's even better and cleaner in Golden.
P4 menus have log of style, beautiful closing and opening animations using the background and best of all are really clean. Probably the best menu of any japanese RPG.

Persona 4 Golden
Dead space
Wipeout
Borderlands 2

Come to mind for menus

Any game that let's me remove or minimize as much as possible for huds. I hate all the clutter.

Cheeky

Studio liverpool and the Wipeout games

WipeoutFury.jpg

I also like the one in 2048 a lot, but that's probably a more acquired taste. I cant find a screenshot of it though.

Synth

Studio liverpool and the Wipeout games

WipeoutFury.jpg

I also like the one in 2048 a lot, but that's probably a more acquired taste. I cant find a screenshot of it though.

I was going to go with Studio Liverpool also, but I wanted to use Wipeout 2097's godlike UI, HUD and Load Screen. I couldn't find any decent quality images though.

That loading screen was so awesome.

Wtf at people saying Blizzard. Diablo 3 and SC2 are pretty horrible when it comes to UI design. Bad fonts, janky feel and important info hidden behind a bunch of garbage, in some cases even hidden behind friggin' option checkboxes.

See also: Hearthstone crafting interface - complete disaster. Though that is still in beta, to be fair.

Now, Endless Space, THAT is good UI design. At least once you understand what in the world "FIDS" refers to.

Civilization V for me:

Civ V's UI is full of extremely clever design decisions. I love it.

these arent "designed", theyre just pretty.

my favourite designed UI/HUD goes to dead space

That's just silly. Every interface is designed - be it consciously or unconsciously. They don't just appear out of thin air.

And the ones he listed are not merely pretty, but also extremely well done on a functional level.

Completely agree on Dead Space, though. Absolutely amazing UI.

fred

As far as HUDs are concerned High Voltage Software are streets ahead of anyone else. The Conduit had its fair share of problems but the HUD was fantastic - you could move the HUD items around anywhere you wanted and could also adjust the transparency of them. I'm surprised nobody has 'borrowed' the idea tbh, it was great.

Skeleton

Banned
Been said already but Bungie, really do know where it's at for HUD and Menu screens.

And from what has been seen I think Destiny is going to have an awesome Layout too!

Scuzzle

Neo Member
I am a huge fan of Dragon Age: Origins' UI. At least for presentation. I just remember it being very clean and sleek.

Top Bottom