• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is the most popular Resident Evil protagonist among fans?

Videoneon

Topic title.

I'm asking this as an outsider to the franchise but it seems that there are only really three choices (since Claire has not been utilized as often as the others? or as prominently)

-Chris
-Jill
-Leon

But even then, in spite of Capcom's heavy use of him as a character and his popularity for people into yaoi or things of the sort (the sailor costume, I think it was), I don't have the impression that Chris is a contender for most popular? If true, I wonder how such a thing happened.

But I wonder if it's really only between Jill or Leon. I could be wrong, clearly. =p

Comments pls.

It's Leon overall. I can't say I'm a big fan of him though since his personality changed VERY drastically from 2 to 4, and even some from 4 to 6. And why wouldn't Claire count? She's been the protagonist in three RE games, the same amount as Jill and Leon. Only Chris has been in more.

Jill, easily.

You can tell from the extreme nitpicking of her character from both fans and haters.

Also the most exported character to other gaming series.

Leon for sure
It's Leon overall. I can't say I'm a big fan of him though since his personality changed VERY drastically from 2 to 4, and even some from 4 to 6. And why wouldn't Claire count? She's been the protagonist in three RE games, the same amount as Jill and Leon. Only Chris has been in more.
I mean, it would've been weird if his personality hadn't changed that much considering the shit he went through

Jill because.

jillSandwich.jpg

Pandy

Leon for me. Ever since RE4.

Was talking to my girlfriend about his hair-style earlier this week. True story.

Leon personally. I feel like that might be the general opinion as well what with RE2 and RE4 generally being the most highly praised between the two different styles of design.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
You'll get a ton of different answers.

Resident Evil characters are kind of weird. Honestly, none of them are that complex, nor do they even have much character development (usually the characters are at the same place in their 'character arc' they were at the end as they were at the beginning of the game, with a few minor exceptions, or very simple character arcs without much character development at all). Yet, there's a lot of fans who really adore the characters, and they certainly see a lot of popularity among fans.

I think what it is partially is that the RE cast has just enough personality to sort of define them from each other, each character has a few 'quirks' to them that have gotten more fleshed out as the series has gone on (Barry is a family man who says a lot of cheesy lines, Chris is going to have fan-servicy costumes that show off his muscles the one who has a big fixation on partners, Claire is a motherly figure, Leon wears cool jackets and is always going to be the one who gives the advice to, "shoot em' in the head," etc.), but they're kind of blank-slate enough that people can reflect a lot of themselves onto them; which I guess works, since the series was originally a horror series, being able to put yourself in the scenario could be important.

Plus, they're all relatively attractive and have good character designs.

For me, my absolute favorites are Leon and Rebecca, but I have recently warmed up a lot to Barry and Sherry.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
1996-2004 Jill
2004-Present Leon

Runners up: Claire Redfield/ChrisRedfield

Last Place: Carlos Oliviera

Honorable Mention: Sheva Alomar

Spenny

Jill is the best as her character has always been pretty decent. Chris got dumb after one and Leon always sucked.

RE1, 2 and 4 are my favorites, so I guess it's 2:1 for Leon.

I do like him besides that though, he's such a dork in RE2 and in RE4 he suddenly transformed into this ridiculous one-liner spouting action hero while still coming off as a complete dork at the same time.

Chris in the first game is this goofy, lovable dumb jock character but that might just be the voice acting, in all the games after that he's just generic, serious action game protagonist.

Jill is fun in RE3, but I dunno, her REmake incarnation is probably the dumbest RE protagonist in the series' history and playing as her makes things too easy.

Leon maybe? It's hard which I think is a testament to how cool the Resident Evil cast is. My favorites are Claire and Jill personally. What can I say, I like tough women.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Obviously, but it's like he wasn't even the same character.

He might have been joking more in RE4, but when serious moments happened(like the house where you fight waves or the lake and afterwards) you saw the evolution of a rookie cop who's been through a ton, with lots of training under his belt. I'll assume whatever he did between the large amount of years between RE 2 and RE 4, left him with using humor to cope with the ridiculous amount of situations thrown his way.

Jigorath

Banned
Popularity polls usually put Leon at number one. Which makes sense as he was the central character in the two most beloved games in the series.

Antagonist is split between Wesker and Nemesis.

Top Bottom