• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who Loves Ernest Goes to Jail (1990)?

#Phonepunk#

Banned

***SPOILER WARNING IF U HAVE NOT SEEN THIS MASTERWORK***

who here loves Ernest Goes to Jail? this is one of my favorite films of all time, no joke. to this day i have never seen anything else quite like it. at the age of 9 i witnessed one of my childhood heroes, a silly working class loser with a heart of gold, wrongly be executed by the State.

giphy.gif

yet instead of dying, it makes him magnetic and gives him electricity super powers, turning him into Electroman, and he immediately starts shooting electricity at the cops and prison guards as he makes his escape. it is totally the most badass of origin stories. he proceeds to flee prison in order to hunt down his evil twin. eventually he ends up becoming impervious to gravity, and swims through the air like Bugs Bunny. this movie is my kind of insane.

0QW7EZd.gif

that it exists at all still blows my mind. this is working class southern surrealist movie. it has the anti-authoritarian spirit of the Marx Bros. most of the actors are just random people from Nashville and the greater South who all worked together across the Ernest films. one actor was a librarian until senior years, when he was invited to move to Hollywood to be in Ernest movies. Jim Varney is an incredibly talented actor, classically trained, and he brings his all to not just the Ernest character but a host of others as well. he is the original rubber face man, contorting himself in so many ways, much like Jim Carey would later do.

Ay8yLkF.gif

it is almost more of a living cartoon than a movie. kind of like The Mask, but without CGI, with purely practical effects. the jail has a really weird color scheme and very comic book style designs. the dramatic lighting and heavy saturation gives it a really comic look.

tumblr_nkap5eRuGt1u7ojs5o1_400.gif

it is a comedy. it is also a dark satire on the prison industrial complex. it is also a superhero origin story. it is also about hanging out with your redneck trigger happy friends who live next door.

tumblr_nlnbkkhEz41u7ojs5o1_400.gifv

KyFq.gif

giphy.gif

Ernest Forever

Last edited:
I only like Ernest scared stupid

I was a fucking little ass baby watching that shit but those movies then we're like a roller coaster to watch so mafukin comfy bro omg

Like Ernest was such a cool motherfucker as a child, you look at other adults and they're void of any charisma and then you throw in monsters you feel safe with that goofy motherfucker lmao

Airola

Love this movie. We just watched it again a couple of months ago. Me and my miss both used to watch it when we were kids. Neither of us had seen it since the 90's and it was still fun to watch.

I still have the dvd right here next to me waiting for a time to watch the rest from that box. I've seen both of those other movies, plus the Christmas one, but haven't watched them since the 90's.

tJWBBu8.jpg

Top Bottom