• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who reads Manga?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodsTyro

recommend me some..i just picked up my first (battle royale, vol. 1)..im hooked :) so far, ive heard GTO, One Peice, Initial D, Lone Wolf, Cub Guru...

also, what are some good sites to buy it cheap? i got battle royale at borders.

DaveH

ComicsOne.com and their related site DollarManga.com has some cheap manga. Pick up a bunch of Crayon Shinchan for $1 a volume; or catch up on Iron Wok Jan buying at half retail price.

If you're looking for more violent stuff to go along with Battle Royale, check out Blade of the Immortal and Berserk (both published by Dark Horse). They're also both much, much better than BR, more plot, better characters and less melodrama

Action wise, try out the original Battle Angel Alita (Gunnm in Japan) from Viz. It's currently being reprinted now in a cheaper, smaller format. There's also a sequel that changes the events of the originals ending being published now called Last Order but it's not nearly as good as the original.

If you're into cars, guns and over the top "realistic" action, check out Gunsmith Cats from Dark Horse. It can get a little fanservice heavy at times, but if you're enjoying BR it shouldn't be an issue.

For some young action/comedy fun, Viz's Shonen Jump line has some great low priced titles. Try Naruto , Bleach and of course the king of all manga, One Piece .

The Akira manga should also be on the top of everyone's list. It's easily one of the best things I've ever read (not just including manga). It's a little costly, but well worth it.

Raijin also published some excellent titles (Slam Dunk , City Hunter , Fist of the Blue Sky and Fist of the North Star ), however they ran into some issues and it's unknown if they'll continue to publish their books. Slam Dunk and City Hunter are must reads though.

And if you're looking for something a little different and gritty, try out Black & White and Ashen Victor, both also from Viz.

lachesis

I read a lot of mangas in my lifetime - more than I really should - and my favorites are Adachi Mitsuru's works, especially "Touch" and "H2". I also liked "Rough" too - but not too sure of his latest offering "Katsu". Well, safely to say, he's the master of "mannerism". Everything is pretty much the same ol' mannerism, but it's just his "presentation" of the material and human emotion, it's just wonderful read.

lachesis

ComicsOne.com and their related site DollarManga.com has some cheap manga. Pick up a bunch of Crayon Shinchan for $1 a volume; or catch up on Iron Wok Jan buying at half retail price.

I never knew ComicsOne had their books so cheap online. What's the catch? How can they make their money back selling so many titles for $1?

8bit

Knows the Score
For the most part I cannot stand Manga, but the complete Lone Wolf & Cub is an astoundingly beautiful tale and well worth your time.

Grifter

Where should I order some translated manga online? My brother wants me to buy him the City Hunter series so I minus well grab a couple more things for me.

bjork

Azumanga Daioh (only 4 volumes long, fun read)
Cowboy Bebop
GTO
One Piece
X-Day
Kare Kano
Dark Edge
Crazy Love Story
Getbackers
Girl Got Game

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Here's what I'd recommend starting off with:

-Ranma 1/2
-Lum*Urusei Yatsura
-Gunsmith Cats
-Blade Of The Immortal
-Dragonball (not Z)
-Battle Angel Alita
-GTO
-Initial D
-One Piece
-Naruto
-Harlem Beat/Rebound
-Azumanga Daioh
-Crayon Shin Chan
-Battle Royal

XS+

Banned
Yeah the Akira books are a must-read and must-collect. I ordered them from Amazon late last year used (great condition but the spine was cracked) for about $60 total. Better than the movie imo.

Meier

Licensed
Kare Kano
Great Teacher Onizuka
Hikaru no Go
One Piece/Naruto/Flame of Recca/Bleach (fairly similar)
Keroro Gunso
Azumanga Daioh
Berserk
VAGABOND!!
Blade of the Immortal
Fruits Basket
Monster (none out yet in America though)
Planetes

Unlicensed
Yakitate!! Japan
Beck
20th Century Boys
Freesia
GANTZ
National Quiz
Bad Company/Shounan Jun'ai Gumi (first and second titles of the GTO trilogy)
Katsu!/H2/Touch/Itsumo Misora/Slow Step (Mitsuru Adachi titles.. all fairly similar, first 3 mix sports with romance)
REAL
Hajime no Ippo
Kimagure Orange Road
NOiSE/BLAME!

My highest recommendations go to Beck, Yakitate!! Japan, Vagabond, Kare Kano, Monster and 20th Century Boys.

Meier

AHh shit, I left off Slam Dunk! -- it's a definite for the licensed column. Takehiko Inoue's new basketball series, which is listed in the unlicensed list -- REAL, focuses on wheelchair basketball instead. It's pretty amazing and features his trademark incredible art that we saw in the later volumes of SD! and all of Vagabond.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
naz said:
I am reading Yakitate!! Japan (Fresh Made Japan) thanks to the anime eps that I found here
I wanted to read the Manga

Where can I find the manga?

Lhadatt

Lots of good stuff on the manga front. There's also lots of crap.

My recommendations:

Chrono Crusade
Blade of the Immortal
Planetes
Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
Kare Kano (His & Her Circumstances)
Maison Ikkoku (new reprints only, the originals were edited)
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Phoenix saga by Tezuka
Akira

I'm currently reading:
Planetes -- Absolutely fantastic.
Berserk -- Just picked up volume five, great stuff. When does Skull Knight come into the fray?
XXXHolic -- CLAMP weirdness. I'm enjoying it, but definately not for everyone.
Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle -- More CLAMP goodness, pretty forumlaic up to this point, but it's CLAMP, so I'm loving it.

I also recently finished Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. Highly recommended.

Buggy Loop

It took 4 replies to mention berserk in this thread, im greatly disapointed at gaf :(

Its ALL about berserk :p

manga56.jpg

manga57.jpg

manga62.jpg

berserk1.jpg
berserk3.jpg

manga55.jpg

manga68.jpg

:rock

:D

GG-Duo

hunter x hunter
Firefighter! Daigo [published by Viz]

Actually, everybody on this forum needs to read Firefighter Daigo. It's considered a classic by yet it gets NO LOVE AT ALL on these forums. ;_;

GG-Duo

I've never seen the anime... but the manga is probably my favorite series next to One Piece.

It'll make you shed manly tears ;_;
His art style looks shitty at first... but as you get into it, you'll find that the dirty look really works for the subject matter. It's intense, passionate, emotional and uplifting all at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom