• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who should SONY buy?

Don't think Sony need to do anything, but I'd love to see them pick up Housemarque so they can go back to pumping out arcade masterpieces. Looking forward to Returnal, though.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If Sony is so insignificant, why couldn't MS beat them? Hell, everyone forgets what a behemoth Ninty was/is and Sony managed to hold their own against them AND see off Sega in the process.

Always underestimating Sony. And celebrating this new MS content while ignoring the WEALTH of content Sony has created and is still to create.
Because Sony's console have always had a good combination of price, content, and unlike Nintendo each system is predictable (a better boosted system than Nintendo's wild creations every 5 years which is hit and miss). They've also had big distribution across countries, where as Xbox always had this weird gimped way of doing things across different countries and continents.

The same can be said about Sony TVs in a reverse perspective. At one time a dominant force, but over the past 20 years tailed off, while Koreans and Chinese brands took off. If Sony is so significant when Trinitrons were the rave, what happened where they sunk? Even Vizio (a relatively new tv brand) has a higher market share in the US than Sony, and Vizio started in 2002.

Sometimes the biggest company wins, sometimes the biggest company doesn't win.

Last edited:
Only studios on their radar are Bluepoint and Kojima.

If they were to go big, I'd advocate for purchasing Square-Enix, despite certain redundancies (why buy Tomb Raider when you own Uncharted, as an example).

O-N-E

This thread is dumb and I don't know who they should buy, but they usually go with studios they have a good history with, so

• Bluepoint
  • Kojipro
  • Square
  • FromSoft
  • Vanillaware
  • Sega (not sure if this one is financially viable)

Are contenders.

longdi

Banned
Sony should
invest more money in their studios, create new ones by poaching talents
invest more money in their devkits and developers relations
invest more money in their social media and fans interactions and feedback
invest more money in their cloud infra, just in case they leave the hardware market and become another service provider for MS and Amazon.

but sadly i dont see Jim Ryan doing any of those for the past few years since talking over.

He has
closed studios
kick out good people
hired weaklings like Eric Lempel and Herman Hurst
consolidate power under his EU hq
port games to WinPC
isolated fans on social media
ignored games media publications, preferring to talk with big boys media
increased PS5 game prices
fall back on PS5 generations

Sony is doomed under Jim Ryan, the Don Mattrick of today.
I wont be surprised if he tried to buy some studio and that turns out to be badly managed and go through 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Silicone Knights. Are they expensive?
Not very. Maybe $10,000 per pair.
breast-implants-silicone-saline.jpg

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Sony should buy Boars Head and provide a free pound of cold cuts with every purchase from the PlayStation Store. This would cause the the adoption rate of the PlayStation 5 to explode beyond its already high rate.

M16

If Sony is so insignificant, why couldn't MS beat them? Hell, everyone forgets what a behemoth Ninty was/is and Sony managed to hold their own against them AND see off Sega in the process.

Always underestimating Sony. And celebrating this new MS content while ignoring the WEALTH of content Sony has created and is still to create.
back in the day blockbuster video was unbeatable. then the game changed
sony=blockbuster
microsoft,amazon,google=netflix

longdi

Banned
back in the day blockbuster video was unbeatable. then the game changed
sony=blockbuster
microsoft,amazon,google=netflix

Or soon,
Sony = Sega
MS = Sony

I predict in the coming decade
Gamepass will be synonymous with gaming, just as Playstation is now
Amazon Luna will be the netflix of gaming.

Sony either becomes like Nintendo, catering to their fans of first party games.
But since Sony first party are expensive cinematic by designs, they need a bigger base to be profitable.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Honestly they should fill their gaps so they can go the following directions

Epic - multiplayer, engines and PC store front
Square Enix - JRPGs
Larian Studios - WRPGs
From Software - Soulslike RPGs

Yoboman

Or soon,
Sony = Sega
MS = Sony

I predict in the coming decade
Gamepass will be synonymous with gaming, just as Playstation is now
Amazon Luna will be the netflix of gaming.

Sony either becomes like Nintendo, catering to their fans of first party games.
But since Sony first party are expensive cinematic by designs, they need a bigger base to be profitable.
Your system is in last place and its not even close, pull your head in Xbox fans

Sony buying Rockstar lol? Take Two would laugh them out of the room, GTA V alone has made basically 5 billion dollars just on game sales alone, not to mention shark cards and other forms of monetization, and once ported to Series X and PS5 it will undoubtedly pass that. GTA alone is probably a $15 billion dollar property, not Rockstar, just the IP itself..

The absolute delusion of some of you.

Tschumi

How about nobody? Like, beyond their existing network? Do you guys really want gaming to be dominated by two companies? Plus Nintendo doing it's internal thing~

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sony buying Rockstar lol? Take Two would laugh them out of the room, GTA V alone has made basically 5 billion dollars just on game sales alone, not to mention shark cards and other forms of monetization, and once ported to Series X and PS5 it will undoubtedly pass that. GTA alone is probably a $15 billion dollar property, not Rockstar, just the IP itself..

The absolute delusion of some of you.
TTWO is worth $18 billion. To buy them out, you'd have to offer around $25 billion. It would basically wipe out the $33 billion of cash/cash equivalents Sony has on its books.

So technically it is doable, but won't happen.

Sony fans can dream though.

TTWO is worth $18 billion. To buy them out, you'd have to offer around $25 billion. It would basically wipe out the $33 billion of cash/cash equivalents Sony has on its books.

So technically it is doable, but won't happen.

Sony fans can dream though.
Take Two wouldn't sell out for even $50 billion, their IP's are a continual cash machine. It's not about what someone else values you at, it's what you value yourself at.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Sony should remove all bottlenecks in acquisition by minimizing consolidation and transfer time. That way they can buy Take-Two within weeks with minimum wastage of budget. We have already seen parts of Acquisition 2.0 memorandum in action with their timed exclusivity deals. With Acquisition 2.0 they will be able to buy all major publishers faster with much lower budget. Unlike the anti-consumer Acquisition 1.0 memorandum that Microsoft uses, Acquisition 2.0 is much more consumer friendly as it lets everyone to contribute for the purchase of their favorite studio via the donation and recommendation clause. Thats right, with Acquisition 2.0 any studio can be bought with sufficient fan demand!

Sony should remove all bottlenecks in acquisition by minimizing consolidation and transfer time. That way they can buy Take-Two within weeks with minimum wastage of budget. We have already seen parts of Acquisition 2.0 memorandum in action with their timed exclusivity deals. With Acquisition 2.0 they will be able to buy all major publishers faster with much lower budget. Unlike the anti-consumer Acquisition 1.0 memorandum that Microsoft uses, Acquisition 2.0 is much more consumer friendly as it lets everyone to contribute for the purchase of their favorite studio via the donation and recommendation clause. Thats right, with Acquisition 2.0 any studio can be bought with sufficient fan demand!
OqVdYLf.png

Zannegan

Square Enix seems like a good match if they can wrangle it. From a consumer point if view, I don't particularly like seeing anyone buying anyone, but they never ask me.

GreatnessRD

Sony doesn't need to buy anyone. Why are Sony loyalist so horny for Sony to buy somebody? Instead of buying studios, buy a couple IPs like Metal Gear and Silent Hill from Konami. Microsoft buying these studios mean nothing if they produce garbage.

Relax.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I’ll go ahead and comment than. Sony fans are starting to sense a game drought as Microsoft is putting together a set of games and they have no answer to the recent deals.

I've even seen the "Xbox has no games" meme again here because Fanboys are desperate and frustrated over they need arguments.

duhmetree

Word is Tencent is going to have to sell its shares of EPIC. Sony buys their 40% share for around $7B. I can see Sony furthering their relationship with Epic and release their first party games on PC. They should also be able to collab on some new IPs

FROMSoftware has always made sense but its really not needed.

Kojima Productions becomes 1st party

Buy Silent Hill, MGS and Castlevania from Konami

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Realistically: Bluepoint, Housemarque and Supermassive.

Not so realistically: Kadokawa (parent company purchase, not Playstation dept)

But does Sony really needs FromSoftware?
They would come with just Sekiro and its sequel potential is very limited , Dark Souls has been milked to exhaustion and belongs to Namco, Elden Ring also belongs to Namco and Sony owns the IPs of their other more interesting games.
They are not a graphical powerhouse and all their games are very technically flawed. All they do really well is storytelling, level design and gameplay, something that another studio with talent and resources could copy and improve on.

Last edited:

Illo

Companies that make the most sense:

Konami (or just their IP's and then contract their own studios or Kojima to work on Silent Hill/Metal Gear again).

Bluepoint (Might as well at this point)

Kojima Productions (They need the capital)

Other companies that might be too much of a reach:

Activision (A lot of their well known IP's from the PS1 days are tied up here)

Rockstar (remember that rumor Sony was buying them)?

Won't ever happen but would be one hell of a acquisition:

Capcom (Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry and so on. Too many amazing IP's to count)

Square Enix (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and a whole backlog that goes back into years of gaming of amazing RPG's)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
FROMSoftware has always made sense
No, I dont FROM get bought by anyone, just like PlatinumGames I like the fact they make games for multiple systems.

I acrually would go with Level-5, Sony really needs first party JRPG and with help of Studio Japan we might see them make games similar to Dark Could and Rogue Galaxy.

Last edited:

laynelane

I guess Im not as impressed as the rest of the gaming world. The only thing I would play is DOOM and thats no dent.

If they want to pick up someone maybe Bluepoint to reach into their stable and make Resistance, siphon filter?

You're not alone. None of the games produced by Zenimax interest me.

A Bluepoint remake of Resistance would be amazing, though.

MS is looking at the long-term direction of gaming and getting prepared. Sony is still living in the traditional space and falling behind.

Nobody has been constantly underestimating Sony. They’ve been perceived as the top dog since Nintendo dropped the ball in the PS1/N64 generation. It’s clear though that Sony isn’t showing the same public moves of preparing for cloud based gaming, subscription services, and the ability to play your games seamlessly on multiple pieces of technology.

Last edited:
Top Bottom