• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who should SONY buy?

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I don't think that works that way. Takes excess $. Plus selling the PS5 at a loss is going to really, initially, eat into Sony last gen profits.
Isn't that why they're keeping PS4 prices high? Should be making a nice profit now since they haven't dropped price in years and still sell over 100,000 units a week. Plus all the online and software sales

Bryank75

Banned
No need to buy TakeTwo, they are not very enthusiastic about cloud gaming or subscriptions... I am pretty sure Zelnick hates the idea.

They should just buy controlling stakes in Capcom and Square, the founder of Square is pretty old and might agree to sell his 20% to another Japanese company that has been a long time partner...
Capcom also has many shareholders in common with Sony.

Over 51% of each company and then they can claim that portion of the profits and the stake in the company still shows up as short term assets..... and can be turned liquid at any time. They should insert Sony appointed Directors on the board to protect the joint interests.

Of course Capcom and Square would have to be on board.

They should stay away from Konami except if they make a deal for IP usage, Konami are Yakuza country.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Bluepoint is the one dev I can see then scooping up. I would say Remedy but Sony doesn’t need that type of studio on their team IMO

Bryank75

Banned
HouseMarque
BluePoint Games
From Software
Kojima Productions

/Thread.
Only Kojima there has any selling power.

They need to buy Capcom, Square and From.

That allows them to pull content from Game Pass, add exclusives to PlayStation and control some of the most prolific IP's.
It also gives them power to bargain and leverage in the future.

It would absolutely make every future PlayStation a must buy.

Last edited:

sixamp

Why does everyone think sony needs to buy anyone? Sony has amazing first party studios and they just bought insomniac

Also capcom and square are the only 2 that make sense but sony doesn't have the money to do that

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Why does everyone think sony needs to buy anyone? Sony has amazing first party studios and they just bought insomniac

Also capcom and square are the only 2 that make sense but sony doesn't have the money to do that
They lost Evolution, Guerrilla Cambridge, Zipper, Gen design, Quantic Dream, Super Massive and a few others over the past gen and a bit.

I don't see where they will make up for all that content without acquisitions and they need to protect their future in games.

Getting Capcom and Square would pull content from everyone else and make content prices go way up for streaming and subs.

From being exclusive would pull gamers into PlayStation by necessity.

People are annoyed with Song becoming to western focused, it is time to go back to their roots a bit.

Last edited:

Albion

Nobody should buy anyone. Money should be spent creating new studios, New ips, increasing the gaming market, and investing in innovation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bryank75

Banned
Nobody should buy anyone. Money should be spent creating new studios, New ips, increasing the gaming market, and investing in innovation.
They already did that. They need to lock content down, increase the prices of 3rd party content by limiting how much is out there. Drive it wayyy up and suck all the money out of their competitors. Break them using their own methods against them.

Metnut

Square or Konami would make sense because of the IP but they don’t really need to do anything. Keep investing in their studios and keep turning out GOTY type exclusives.

Bethesda’s output last gen was pretty sad and wouldn’t have moved the needle at all. Remains to be seen whether they get better under Microsoft.

Bryank75

Banned
Square or Konami would make sense because of the IP but they don’t really need to do anything. Keep investing in their studios and keep turning out GOTY type exclusives.

Bethesda’s output last gen was pretty sad and wouldn’t have moved the needle at all. Remains to be seen whether they get better under Microsoft.
Although Bethesda is a shadow of their former selves, I think the precedent set by buying a big publisher is dangerous and Sony should lock down as many Japanese publishers as possible as a preemptive strike.
Push all those content prices way up into the stratosphere so Amazon, Google and MS cannot buy content at a reasonable price.

Shrap

No huge studios/publishers. I know MS drew first blood in this but if Sony does something similar it just becomes a pissing contest of what they can keep locked from other platforms without any benefit to consumers/developers.

Zatzuken

I dont think sony has the money to buy many of the larger publishers people would want, and even if they managed one, it could start a buying war with MS that they really cant win.

Leyasu

Banned
Only Kojima there has any selling power.

They need to buy Capcom, Square and From.

That allows them to pull content from Game Pass, add exclusives to PlayStation and control some of the most prolific IP's.
It also gives them power to bargain and leverage in the future.

It would abbsolutely make every future PlayStation a must buy.
Square have a market cap of 8+billion and capcom of 5+billion.... They ain't going to happen.

Bryank75

Banned
Square have a market cap of 8+billion and capcom of 5+billion.... They ain't going to happen.
Could easily happen, Sony have 33 billion by last quarter.... probably over 35 billion now.

Also one man owns 20% of Square and Sony have very strong ties with them, as they saved them from bankruptcy.
Similarly Capcom has a few major Japanese sharholders and common shareholders between the two.

They only need 51% to control but should aim for 60%+

That way it is still a liquid asset, the same as cash in their accounts and they get 60% of profits and can elect directors to the board of directors.

They should actually go for Capcom, Square and Sega.... pull all Yakuza, Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy and all other content from streaming services or push the prices up by 200%+ and make the glorified rental services completely unsustainable.

Who is left to stream after that? Some boring Ubisoft games and their own first party, that will cost them too much to produce unless they make smaller , less expensive filler.

Last edited:

Zatzuken

Could easily happen, Sony have 33 billion by last quarter.... probably over 35 billion now.

Also one man owns 20% of Square and Sony have very strong ties with them, as they saved them from bankruptcy.
Similarly Capcom has a few major Japanese sharholders and common shareholders between the two.

That way it is still a liquid asset, the same as cash in their accounts and they get 60% of profits and can elect directors to the board of directors.

They should actually go for Capcom, Square and Sega.... pull all Yakuza, Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy and all other content from streaming services or push the prices up by 200%+ and make the glorified rental services completely unsustainable.

Who is left to stream after that? Some boring Ubisoft games and their own first party, that will cost them too much to produce unless they make smaller , less expensive filler.

Sony cant pull takeovers on three massive publishers at the same time, buyouts take time, also if they then got shitty with pulling stuff from gamepass next thing you know MS pull things like minecraft and bethesda stuff from sony.

Its a war that will only hurt gamers

Aion002

Easy: Capcom and Koei.

Medium: Square-Enix and Bamco.

Hard: Take Two, CD Projekt and Ubi.

But I fear that Sony won't do shit... At most Kojima and a small studio.

Zatzuken

Gave this a little thought and doing a deal with konami is the only one i think i can get behind.

They dont give a crap about there own ips, have no real intention of doing anything with them so you wont be locking anyone out of things.

Leyasu

Banned

Ok.

Reading your last paragraph shows that you haven't really grasped the situation. I'm not trying to belittle you or anything, so please don't take it like that. I'll give you a quick explanation.

Microsoft are aiming to to be totally self-sufficient on gamepass. That was why they bought Zenimax. They don't want to rely on 3rd parties because

A, They need constant content and 3rd parties might not always be available to make their games or want to put the games on the service. Or, said studio could get acquired and then no longer available to make a sequel..
B, They want all of the money for themselves. Which again is not possible if you are paying big 3rd parties for their games.

These things also need to be considered when talking about Sony or anyone else buying a publisher. Because I can easily see Microsoft buying another one to secure their position. And, if Sony or anyone else makes a move for a publisher which Microsoft would consider a strategic necessity for their plans, I can easily see them entering the fray to purchase them also..

Vice versa with Sony perhaps..

CharlieTuna

I'd like to see a SuperGiant game with a bigger budget, so, they. This is based off of nothing, just me appreciation for their games.

Bryank75

Banned
Sony cant pull takeovers on three massive publishers at the same time, buyouts take time, also if they then got shitty with pulling stuff from gamepass next thing you know MS pull things like minecraft and bethesda stuff from sony.

Its a war that will only hurt gamers
Who says they can't?

They could negotiate a game for a game... if they want or see who gets hurt more.... doubt it will hurt PlayStation.

Bryank75

Banned
Ok.

Reading your last paragraph shows that you haven't really grasped the situation. I'm not trying to belittle you or anything, so please don't take it like that. I'll give you a quick explanation.

Microsoft are aiming to to be totally self-sufficient on gamepass. That was why they bought Zenimax. They don't want to rely on 3rd parties because

A, They need constant content and 3rd parties might not always be available to make their games or want to put the games on the service. Or, said studio could get acquired and then no longer available to make a sequel..
B, They want all of the money for themselves. Which again is not possible if you are paying big 3rd parties for their games.

These things also need to be considered when talking about Sony or anyone else buying a publisher. Because I can easily see Microsoft buying another one to secure their position. And, if Sony or anyone else makes a move for a publisher which Microsoft would consider a strategic necessity for their plans, I can easily see them entering the fray to purchase them also..

Vice versa with Sony perhaps..
It still stands.... Sony need to protect their core brands, games that are heavily associated with them.

Tencent, MS, Amazon and Google are in the game now and they risk losing a lot.

They must control the content and push the prices or deny the content as appropriate, they can still support Nintendo and bring some stuff to PC but they must take care of themselves now.

They are in a position where, they are a Japanese company and have old connections with Capcom and Square and need to now use those links to strengthen Japans position in gaming and not sell out to western companies.

Content is king and those who control content, can control everything. All prices come from the source.

It still stands.... Sony need to protect their core brands, games that are heavily associated with them.

They must control the content and push the prices or deny the content as appropriate, they can still support Nintendo and bring some stuff to PC but they must take care of themselves now.

They are in a position where, they are a Japanese company and have old connections with Capcom and Square and need to now use those links to strengthen Japans position in gaming and not sell out to western companies.

Content is king and those who control content, can control everything. All prices come from the source.

Why are you assuming that companies like Capcom would agree to be bought by Sony? Would love to hear your reasoning for this, I'm sure it's ironclad.

Papacheeks

Banned
Why are you assuming that companies like Capcom would agree to be bought by Sony? Would love to hear your reasoning for this, I'm sure it's ironclad.

Capcom has a long standing relationship with Sony more so than Nintendo or Xbox. Mainly Sony fronted money for capcom Pro Tour, and other Esports events for capcom.

They are the premier place for Japanese fighting games.

It makes sense.

Dargor

Hopefully a better marketing team and desperately a new customer service team, those are their worse weaknesses right now.

Bryank75

Banned
I don't know if they do... I know a few years ago they were interested but now things are different.

It would allow some cool stuff to happen though.... Dino Crisis, Soul Reaver reboots, Tomb Raider and Uncharted crossovers.
Marvel gaming universe....

It just opens lots of possibilities.

Leyasu

Banned

Yep, there is a lot at stake. Although I don't think that they would push up prices if they acquired anyone (Sony), they would all go 1st party.

If Sony do go for a publisher, the yeah I can see them going for a Japanese pub. A western pub would I think bring Microsoft in, and a bidding war would ensue.

Bryank75

Banned
Yep, there is a lot at stake. Although I don't think that they would push up prices if they acquired anyone (Sony), they would all go 1st party.

If Sony do go for a publisher, the yeah I can see them going for a Japanese pub. A western pub would I think bring Microsoft in, and a bidding war would ensue.
I agree, Sony could get the Gov to protect the acquisition as it would be in Japans future interest too.
Much like China protected Leyou from Sony.

Capcom has a long standing relationship with Sony more so than Nintendo or Xbox. Mainly Sony fronted money for capcom Pro Tour, and other Esports events for capcom.

They are the premier place for Japanese fighting games.

It makes sense.

If Capcom decides they are for sale, they are going to go to the bidder with the highest price (read: not Sony). Japanese corporations are not fanboys, these are cutthroat corporate killers we are talking about here.

Bryank75

Banned
If Capcom decides they are for sale, they are going to go to the bidder with the highest price (read: not Sony). Japanese corporations are not fanboys, these are cutthroat corporate killers we are talking about here.
I don't think that's how it works in reality. Especially when the shareholders all have different values and aims. On top of that the government can stop acquisitions for any reason by foreign companies.

El Sueño

None. Stay with your studios and give them more money to grow up and more proyects. They have proved that they know what to do in terms of quality. You should, however, if you must, bring Fumito Ueda, Kojima and Fromsoftware because nobody make games like them.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

I think people are really struggling with the difference between can’t and won’t.

Hypothetically Sony could take over any video game publisher if they really wanted, provided the bid wasn’t regarded as hostile. I’m setting aside the other platform holders, Nintendo and Microsoft.

Activision Blizzard would certainly be a difficult one that would be bordering on a merger but a cash plus equity deal would certainly be possible. Ain’t gonna happen though.

EA would be just beyond the theoretical limits of a cash deal but certainly could be done with a bit of debt. Also ain’t going to happen.

Anything else is pretty feasible depending on the disposition of current shareholders towards a deal.

Will they buy Square, Capcom, Sega, Ubisoft, Epic, Valve or Take 2? Probably not.

Could they? Damn right they could.

Top Bottom