• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who started off the 'EXTREME GAMER!!!!' peripheral/gear aesthetic

Dio

Banned
GAMING CHAIR!

HAlgqv2.jpg

GAMING TABLE!

GAMING GLASSES!

GAMING HEADSETS!

GAMING GRAPHICS CARDS!

GAMING PC CASES!

GAMING MICE!

GAMING FOOD!

GAMING SPEAKERS!

GAMING KEYBOARDS!

I want to say Razer is at fault, but I don't think they invented this. Who started this media blitz and when? I haven't found much info on google about it.

I'm well aware a lot of it is overpriced crap that isn't all that functional (although that's not true in a couple cases), but I still want to know where this came from.

...Gaming router? What's this?

THE UNENLIGHTENED MASSES

THEY CANNOT MAKE THE JUDGEMENT CALL

GIVE UP FREE WILL FOREVER THEIR VOICES WON'T BE HEARD AT ALL

EDIT: Razer update for your Razer needs:

(the first one's an April Fool's joke)

And a classic I forgot to add to the thread:

GAMER COMPRESSED AIR!
Video related. Yeah, h3h3 did a video on this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1wBkNjTKgs

lazygecko

We really need a photoshop contest for gamer-brand household items. Can you imagine what an Alienware dishwasher or espresso machine would look like?

Tambini

Some guy I knew was going on about this Gamer Fuel he bought off the internet to get better at Battlefield or something, when it arrived it was actually called Gamma Fuel, just an expensive energy drink lol. He also has a gaming chair, desk, the lot ..

It was the 90s-early 00s EXTREEEEEEME zeitgeist that somehow just never left gaming like it did the rest of mainstream culture.

I'm guessing the PC modding scene in the 90's is the biggest culprit. At LAN parties, it would not be uncommon to see people drop by with heavily-modified PCs with transparent cases, lights, tubes, water-cooling, etc.... It seemed like they were all trying to one-up each other. It was not unlike street racing fans gazing at their modified cars and whatnot.

Mcdohl

I hate this trend.

It all looks so awful, over-designed, borderline tacky imo.

That's why I stay far away from gamer gear.

No idea but it looks utterly awful and did so when I was 13 too so no excuses. This shit didnt look acceptable in the 90s and still doesn't. I avoid any 4GAMERZ looking periphery because they quite literally insult my aesthetic sense.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Remember Microsoft Sidewinder? Extreeeeeeeme packaging.

Maybe the answer is that gaming products just never shed the aesthetics of the radical 80s or extreme 90s... and eventually it evolved into the "green tribal tattoo" look of the 2000s.

Paying 500$ for a headphone or a mouse... OMG what mischief is this? :D

Hey, some headphones at that price point are actually really good. Headphones from AKG, Sennheiser, Audio Technica, Beyerdynamic, etc. make your music, gaming, and tv/movie experiences much better. That said, there's a price point that I won't go past since I'm happy with the mid-tier stuff I have. And a lot of lower priced headphones are comparable to some of the more expensive ones in sound quality.

But the gaming branded headsets with 7.1 surround sound and whatnot? Overpriced for the actual quality in most cases.

I think 3rd party pads in the 16 bit era really cemented the idea that you could get some kind of edge with peripherals, and things snowballed from there. Everyone had a lurid cheap pad with auto fire toggles, though you'd always give it to your friend when playing as the D-pads and buttons sucked.

Top Bottom