• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who started off the 'EXTREME GAMER!!!!' peripheral/gear aesthetic

Dinjoralo

I think a company that made clean sleek gaming hardware would make bank.

MY case is a Corsair 600Q which is literally a black box with no windows. My keyboard is a dark blank keyboard. The only garish thing in my PC is the monitor since it's an Acer Predator. I should get a VESA mount for it.

It's also why despite not having a window, would love to get a NVIDIA founder edition card because the coolers look good with the aluminium look

Me too. I think Corsair is the closest you're going to get with that, but even then they still put LED's where they don't belong.

Honestly, that table looks clean AF.

Clean as in horridly tacky?

On topic - I'd say it began with Nintendo and the peripherls/"playing with power!" - but really went kicked off in the early 2000s when stuff like Disturbed, Linkin Park, "xtreeeeme", Mountain Dew!11 etc... was going on... the apex? I guess Geoff as the Dorito Pope, and RAZR / FATAL1TY stuff going ham.

EctoPrime

Many low tier cards seem to have a "More fans tax" and often resemble far better video cards. It was annoying trying to find a single fan xx50 card locally.
A GT 710 with three fans would likely sell pretty well as a niche product.

nomis

This thread reminds me that I swear I once saw a photoshopped ad for a Razer prostate stimulator thing called the "_______ Chroma" and it was fucking on point. Does anyone recall or have a link to the image?

wildfire

Banned
It's the fact that they exist in the first place, if you're playing video games to the point of your eyes aching you should probably....stop playing.

These aren't ony for gamers and were intially targeted towards professionals who easily spend 12 hours on a PC.

Dio

Banned
So I just bought a Dell S2716DGR and looked online about reviews for it (I'm posting from it now) and discovered that apparently, review publications seem to think Dell's style is 'boring.'

Well fuck you, I want this:

mYHdonI.jpg

instead of this.

I love Dell's cramming of G-sync, 1440p, 144hz into a monitor that looks as normal as can be.

floater6

Neo Member
Acer's Predator shit is hilarious:

Also, ASUS have a really awesome monitor with 4k 144hz HDR G-sync (ROG Swift PG258Q) coming out soon but for some fucking reason it projects a red LED thingy onto the table:

Why?

giphy.gif

Like we already had a hard enough time convincing people our monitor purchase was worth it.

lmao, Gamer Food.

Not only do I find eating while play games to be putrid, but that is the sort of thing that people would cling onto.

'Muh gamer fuel.'

Dell and Logitech are where I'm at. Great hardware with nice, clean designs. And I don't mean that Alienware garbage or the G-series Logitech with the customary sharp angles and pointless LED lights. I mean your dad's office PC peripherals Logitech.

I'm a grown ass man and I want my desk area to say "modern office" with a little bit of "home studio." I don't want it to say "WAKEMEUPINSIDE.png"

ISee

Wait, there are gaming glasses? Why would I want to wear glasses that change how the game looks on my setups where I spent precious time to calibrate my TV and my monitors?
Also why in general?

Mozendo

Wait, there are gaming glasses? Why would I want to wear glasses that change how the game looks on my setups where I spent precious time to calibrate my TV and my monitors?
Also why in general?
It's supposed to help with eye strain

Also why in general?

It blocks blue light which could be harmful to your eyes.
I'm wearing a pair like that too but mine look like normal clear glasses, only have some small prism effect.

It sucks when you're trying to build a computer and it's all red and black. Luckily you can find things in different colors though. I like nice clean white or black colors like most modern electronics. You won't see an Apple product with some weird red and black monstrosity apparently designed by the forces of Chaos.

It sucks when you're trying to build a computer and it's all red and black. Luckily you can find things in different colors though. I like nice clean white or black colors like most modern electronics. You won't see an Apple product with some weird red and black monstrosity apparently designed by the forces of Chaos.

I love Fractal's cases for the understated look.

11-352-048-02.jpg

They still have all the awesome shit inside to make building easy and efficient, but they're nice and simple on the outside.

Modoru

GAMING CHAIR!
GAMING TABLE!
GAMING GLASSES!
GAMING HEADSETS!
GAMING GRAPHICS CARDS!
GAMING PC CASES!
GAMING MICE!
GAMING FOOD!
GAMING SPEAKERS!
GAMING KEYBOARDS!

I'm well aware it's all overpriced crap that isn't all that functional, but I still want to know where this came from.
So, regarding this point: some "gaming" branded gear is functional, or just made this way to distinguish it from its "professional" counterpart

To my understanding--
1. those expensive gamer chairs are actually super comfy
2. Some people have designed gaming desks with see through panel with a "modular" build, which is mostly a hobbyist/enthusiast project
3. Gaming glasses are dumb, but supposedly work. That said, you can just do the same thing with software.
4. Gaming headsets do work well and the avg. consumer would prefer a black/red/green/blue headset with mic than a bland earpiece made for teleconferencing (professional vs. normal products, as I said earlier)
5. Gfx cards are definitely also part of the pro vs. regular consumer aspect. A Quadro wouldn't function nearly as well as a regular gtx1080.
6. Cases are just like choosing a car, some people have really gaudy taste, what can I say
7. Gaming mice are super functional dude don't get me started
8 and 9. Yeah these are fucking dumb
10. Gaming keyboards are also super functional, esp. if they're mechanical. I'm sure everyone's aware of that one tho

As far as who started it... well, misinformed marketing teams in peripheral companies I guess

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Missed this topic last year but want OP to know images of Gaming Routers interspersed with Revengeance lyrics may be my favourite thing this week.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I am dying at the Metal Gear Router. Thanks, OP.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
This is why I appreciate Bitfenix cases.

This is mine:
shinobi-l-6.jpg

And this is the one I just made for my house mate:
2-1280x1024.jpg

Tasteful, clean designs that don't stick out and are really easy to build too.

Then it's Dell all the way for monitors.

I get the feeling some of it is connected to the aesthetics of car modding and ricing out cars carrying over to computers - in fact, quite a lot of people in the PC gaming community refer to especially stupid looking computers as being 'riced out' just like a car.

I've noticed that a vast majority of car audio head units look like gamer gear, too.

Those cars could easily be shaped like a computer case and look like a typical 'gamer' PC case.

I think it was a particular trend of the late 1990s/early 2000s to think of 'technology' in terms of bright, harsh colours against a black background. Films like the Matrix helped to propel this notion, and it seems to have stuck around primarily by being an industry standard.

It feels telling that you can find a 3DS in just about every colour imaginable, but with PC cases it's mainly black or white with highlights. Just went through Scan's full list of ATX cases - as I would like a better housing for my parts at some stage - and I found about half a dozen that had an actual colour as the majority of the case, out of hundreds.

Dio

Banned
So, regarding this point: some "gaming" branded gear is functional, or just made this way to distinguish it from its "professional" counterpart
As far as who started it... well, misinformed marketing teams in peripheral companies I guess

Yeah, I edited the OP. I was exaggerating and forgot about that sentence I threw in there.

The "gamer" peripherals o fall kinds is super dumb and it doesn't look to great. That being said If I had some "gaming" hardware sponsorships I would sell out full force.

KdotIX

I don't think Razer is too bad these days, I have this setup and as long as you don't go crazy with lighting it's about as subtle as a Macbook,

255299_2cff5b55715404cf264ae1aea4d7c547.jpg

It's funny that game players still embrace the completely ludicrous designs shown in this thread.

How do you find the razer notebooks? I'm looking to get a windows based laptop soon (selling off a highly specced MacBook Pro) and i'm wanting a windows laptop for development work I do, I would also like to be able to play some games.

Like some people said already, any laptop which has any form of Nvidia graphics card in it looks like cheap tack...

Also, this fucking guy....
23723000906_822cb04fad_k56713e1ad0a93.jpg

GAMING TOASTER
GX0008P_109806_800x800.jpg

Laughable man

Modoru

How do you find the razer notebooks? I'm looking to get a windows based laptop soon (selling off a highly specced MacBook Pro) and i'm wanting a windows laptop for development work I do, I would also like to be able to play some games.

Like some people said already, any laptop which has any form of Nvidia graphics card in it looks like cheap tack...

Laughable man
I find the razer laptops to be egregiously expensive, but if it's in your budget, by all means? There's also the EVGA laptop iirc.

It's a big problem. You see the design language across the manufactureres;

asus_republic_of_gamers_rog_hd_by_leandrojvarini-d4cca47.jpg

48.png

thermaltakeCorp_logo1_en.jpg

crucial-ddr3-memory-2-large.jpg

be_quiet_Logo_with_short_slogan_on_White.jpg

cooler-master-logo.png

Logo.png

1280px-Kingston_Technology_logo.svg.png

zalman-logo.png

ba2c84a0d20797fa_org.png

gearup_1920x1080.jpg

corsair_vengeance_pro_series.jpg

618618.png

Acer%20logo_black.png

IN-WIN-Logo.jpg

Maingear-Logo-Gaming-Cypher.png

XoticPC-Logo.png

flat,800x800,070,f.jpg

Digital-Storm-Logo-4.jpg

o.jpg

roccat-logo.png

madcatzlogo.png

1280px-Gigabyte_logo.svg.png

Zotac_logo.png

PNYlogoBlk_registration.jpg

Fatality-Logo.png

47fdd71d-6956-422b-8cc9-4f734d3a0cf4.jpg

antec-logo.png

Bitfenix_logo.png

silverstone_large.jpg

lian-li-logo.jpg

Nvidia_old_logo.svg

gfJMNdQOQwAR1aCC.large

ASRock_Logo.png

xvjooakx5v.png

NZXT%20Logo-white%20bkg-d64e6c7ce69211ac7f591cde8bc6fb0ea16a37a01df357eb35e72c94a611afda.png

photo.jpg

The better ones / less awful / not as offensive / okay

noctua_logo_1326_409px.jpg

phanteks_logo.png

palit-logo.png

Logo_logitech_black.jpg

Alienware-Logo-15.jpg

new-corsair-logo-blog-image.png

logo1-100588187-orig.jpg

Steelseries-logo.jpg

fractaldesignblacklogo765x329.jpg

Many of them are indefensible, and that is a shame because some of them are also outstanding. I think I can count those I don't think are awful on one hand, and that is depressing. Because these logos are carried on the products and they make it more difficult to have their stupid ugly ass designs.

I like the Logitech redesign. That to me, went from being the ugliest logo of all time, to one of the best electronics logo.
I think Alienware also gets away with the mark because of the alienhead form. There is soemthing simple about it, that doesn't make it look as dated as it contemporaries. And in the same token, I think the current Alienware design language as with Alienware 13 and Alienware 15, is actually quite nice. It's very in your face, but the industrial design lines are made with more confidence. I like it.

I think Corsair gets away with it too, but you see it runs into the same problems as the other manufacs gaming line; It's horrendous. Acer Predator and Razer as the tribal Monster-energy-tattoo-above-my-ass are just the worst.

I have to stop here. I think there are more awful ones from back in the day. the old pc graphics card boxes and motherboard packaging. those were goddamn insane.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Dell and Logitech are where I'm at. Great hardware with nice, clean designs. And I don't mean that Alienware garbage or the G-series Logitech with the customary sharp angles and pointless LED lights. I mean your dad's office PC peripherals Logitech.
Alienware is a subsidiary of Dell.

Mega

Banned
Creative had those Fatal1ty series of sound cards. That must have started around 2007-8

This one. I remember it started in the early-mid 00s with Fatal1ty as a natural evolution of the packaging of video cards.

It was the 90s-early 00s EXTREEEEEEME zeitgeist that somehow just never left gaming like it did the rest of mainstream culture.

The Xtreme 90s fad was more of a grungy, rock and skateboarding thing with a certain type of color palette and typography. This GAMER stuff has an edgy neon techno Matrix feel to it. In fact, I'd say the Matrix trilogy and early Internet edgelord culture spawned this crap. The timeline fits.

PaulBizkit

The gaming chairs look nice but the rest is just ridiculous. Having something like the gaming router in the OP is fun the first ten minutes...

Anyways, i'll contribute to the thread:
01%20(1).jpg

What a crazy crazy mouse...

Just googled 'riced out pc' ...

SEl135m.jpg

No, wait, that looks cool.

Top Bottom