• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who were the worst Partners in Paper Mario 64/TTYD?

Boney

Banned
Watt is amazing what the hell is the matter with you guys, definately the most useful party member for all round situations. Piercing defense, paralizing and buffing Mario. Great partner.
Most partners had good used though, goombario was fun with tattle, did great damage against zero defense when upgraded, has multi jump and charge. Great stuff.
Kooper has great multi hit attacks and is a monster on the ice chapter, that fire shell is just so good. Bad standard attack but it makes up for the multi target stuff, you get to hit bombs as well.
Bombette, while I never used her much because she's an FP hog, she has the most damaging attacks in the game, so she can be fun to just abuse.
Lady Bow is the best by far, great personality and very useful battle wise, she starts doing great damage with no upgrades and ends up doing great against no defense enemies. Very useful skills between hiding (can let you beat the sensei really early) and the fan attack also does insane damage (10 I think).
Sushi is just incredible useful in his chapter due to the water element and has a good buff for Mario, I dig her, but don't use her much after her chapter.
So then there's two guys for the worst Parakarry just doesn't do much for me. Sure he can hit enemies clinging to walls and that's kinda useful but overall there's not much use except for his multi hit attack.
Lakalister is just... Boring. At this point you have so many partners and you have to upgrade him to get to their level and he has what? I don't even remember lol.

As for ttyd everyone is awesome except Flurry cause what the hell is she anyway. Chapter 2 is terrible and I never use her again.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
It's actually Sushie, not Sushi, who are the shark enemies in Mario 64 and others.

But don't blame me for forgetting Sushie...it was Nintendo! Y'see, the picture I used for the opening post are Partner sprites in the data of Super Paper Mario. However, there's no Sushie. Why? Well, I speculate that whatever purpose they intended to use them for, perhaps they wanted an equal number of 64 and TTYD Partners, and thus had to leave out one of the 64 dudes---Sushie, in this case.

PSqueak

Banned
It's actually Sushie, not Sushi, who are the shark enemies in Mario 64 and others.

But don't blame me for forgetting Sushie...it was Nintendo! Y'see, the picture I used for the opening post are Partner sprites in the data of Super Paper Mario. However, there's no Sushie. Why? Well, I speculate that whatever purpose they intended to use them for, perhaps they wanted an equal number of 64 and TTYD Partners, and thus had to leave out one of the 64 dudes---Sushie, in this case.

Nope, YOU forgot sushie ;P

Also, the Flurrie hate still going strong in this thread makes me sad, y'all have no heart.

TheMink

I don't think the argument that watt was never established as sentient in previous games is a very good one.

As you mentioned, Mario64 established bom-ombs as an actual character and THATS the reason it's ok for the bomb omb to be a character in Paper Mario?

How about Paper Mario established that the electrical guys are sentient and that's in and of itself enough explanation.

Clefargle

What do y'all have against Defense piercieng? that's like the most useful ability in both games, hell Flurrie is INVINCIBLE due to this, her defense piercing move also heals her!

Also, y'all Flurrie haters, i hope you fight a thousand of those Yux bastards, then you'll be begging for madame Flurrie's help!

I just don't like her design. The southern belle thing and the massive bewbs was kinda weird.

SerTapTap

Combat-wise Watt is great, use her all the time.But yeah, after her introduction she doesn't do much story-wise at all.

Similarly I don't recall much about Flurrie, I Think both are mostly a case of under-characterization though. I don't really hate them they're just the least interesting.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think the issue for me is Watt is the only sentient Li'l Sparky we see in the entire series...her mom is mentioned, but never appears. So it's sort of odd.

xandaca

Flurrie has a boring field ability, is useless in battle and her character design is quite dreadful. Easily the worst partner in either of the two games for me. Sushie's pretty bad in battle in PM64, but her field ability (swimming) is decent. Same goes for Spike/Lakilester, who I can't remember ever really using in battle but his overworld ability (moving faster and over spiked ground) is very useful. I like most of the PM64 partners, but Koopa's probably the least interesting, becomes redundant the fastest, and his field ability is only useful in very specific situations, so he edges my vote.

Yoshi from TTYD is easily the best. Mine was blue and named Daigoro. We were an unstoppable team and made quick work of Bonetail even at a (relatively) low level.

Watt was stupid broken, easily the best party member battle wise in the first.

Lakilester is probably my least favorite partner in the first game. His battle abilities are pretty lame, his design is pretty "eh," and you get him way too late to form any real attachment to him.

I love all the party members in TTYD though, can't say for sure what would be my least favorite. Probably Yoshi.

The irony.
Pretty sure Watt is a girl.
The Paper Mario games can't seem to agree what gender Watt is. Probably female, but there are a few instances where Watt is referred to with male pronouns.

daydream

Banned
The irony.
Pretty sure Watt is a girl.

I blame having to type quickly for cooking-related reasons.

Knew she was considered female, although I only found out a several years after playing it.

Either way, her attacks go through armor like nothing and she's adorbs. Easily the best (from the first one)! Although Lady Bow is a close second.

Shojx

Before my most recent playthrough of PM, I would have likely picked Watt. But after playing through again, I actually found Watt to be incredibly useful. Defense ignoring shocks and Turbo Charge were both really useful to me. Outside of battle, yeah, lighting up a darkened area wasn't very exciting, but still.

So my vote would go as follows:

Paper Mario -- Lakilester -- I just never found myself using him in battle, since most of his moves were unimpressive or unsuited to the situation. Occasionally, I would use Cloud Nine to boost my evasion but that was pretty much the extent of his usefulness in battle for me. Outside of battle, traveling on his cloud was pretty neat, although he joins the game so late I never really formed an attachment to him.

TTYD -- Flurrie -- Like Lakilester, she just wasn't very useful in battle for me. I didn't even bother with Dodgy Fog like I did with Cloud Nine. And outside of battle, unlike Lakilester, her ability to "blow" things was kind of lame. She was definitely the partner I used the least.

Mista Koo

For TTYD I guess I have to go with either Flurrie or Yoshi. I never unlocked Ms. Mowz.
Flurrie's design was a bit much for me, also the fact that she's of a new species. Yoshi didn't have a big role in the game (although I liked the color gimmick).

As for the species there were really few options:
  • Shy Guy
  • Blooper
  • Hammer Bro
  • Buzzy Beetle

I've yet to play 64, played the first 2 chapters when it was first released on VC and dropped it.

Top Bottom