• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who Will Review the Reviewers?

watcher.gif

"I care not for hats of money."

Joe Molotov

How would that even work?

"My calculations prove that, mathematically, Neverwinter Nights 2 is a 7.6333333 repeating out of 10, with a +/- 5% margin of error. QED"

schild

No one reviews anything objectively. The two words shouldn't even be found in the same sentence.

Now, HONESTLY? That's another story.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Joe Molotov said:
How would that even work?

"My calculations prove that, mathematically, Neverwinter Nights 2 is a 7.6333333 repeating out of 10, with a +/- 5% margin of error. QED"

If someone was to do it it would probably have to be a professor, not disagreeing with the opinion of the reviewer but judging the way it's presented and the arguments used to gauge the level of professionalism involved and overall quality of the writting. It's kind of pointless, but I would be lying if I said I didn't think gaming journalism needed some better standards. I don't think reviewing reviewers is the best way to get there though.

makaveli

Banned
if google jeff gerstmann you get a bunch picz of this sweaty fat **** who couldent ****in review a ****in zelda game if his life dpendand on it ****in fire gerstmann gamespot you dumbass mother****ers

Tarazet

xir said:
Anyone know a site/blog that reviews videogame reviews objectively?

The only way to review writing objectively is to check for grammatical, syntactical and typographical errors. I suspect that only Nintendo Power would make the cut, and the websites would be so far behind they'd need to go back in time to catch up.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
also, re: gamespot's zelda: 8.8 on its side would be infinity dot infinity.

gamespot review is actually a good example. How was the text of the review sans the numbers? Also, they use a weighted scale, and Jeff did give a tilt of 10. If audio hadn't been a 7 it would have floated into happy 9+ land.

People seem to argue scores not text. I didn't agree with a lot of god hand reviews, personally, but liked reading lots of them, gamespots' for example

makaveli

Banned
xir said:

gamespot review is actually a good example. How was the text of the review sans the numbers? Also, they use a weighted scale, and Jeff did give a tilt of 10. If audio hadn't been a 7 it would have floated into happy 9+ land.

People seem to argue scores not text. I didn't agree with a lot of god hand reviews, personally, but liked reading lots of them, gamespots' for example
jeff would weigh a lot more than an 8.8 on a scale

xir said:

You're absolutely right, most people don't care or aren't familiar with the intricacies of the gamespot review system. If you go by his "tilt", Gertsmann wanted to give the game a higher score, but was restricted by the scale. However, I won't really know if 8.8 is off the mark until I play the game.

makaveli said:
gerstman gave tony hawk a 10 but zelda a 8.8 wtf is wrong with this thing he should be put on trial

Maybe he really likes skateboards, things could have been different if Zelda had a more intuitive trick system.

ProphetZG

Reviewing reviewers would imbue them with far more significance than they deserve.

People already take reviewers far too seriously. They are only guides, if written well. If written poorly, they're just a glorified opinion - a messageboard post accidentally transposed to a decorated webpage.

The only important opinion is your own afterall. You're the one who buys the game and plays it.

makaveli

Banned
Icanplaythat said:
Maybe he really likes skateboards, things could have been different if Zelda had a more intuitive trick system.
itsprobley becuase if he steppted on a real skateboard it would break and he would fall flat on his ass and then comlain about how it wasnt reaistic enough we need people to review jeffs reviews so he can see how it feels

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
makaveli said:
itsprobley becuase if he steppted on a real skateboard it would break and he would fall flat on his ass and then comlain about how it wasnt reaistic enough we need people to review jeffs reviews so he can see how it feels

Thank you for your informative and interesting views on this topic.

I think we have found the man to review the reviewers.

makaveli

Banned
ProphetZG said:
Reviewing reviewers would imbue them with far more significance than they deserve.

People already take reviewers far too seriously. They are only guides, if written well. If written poorly, they're just a glorified opinion - a messageboard post accidentally transposed to a decorated webpage.

The only important opinion is your own afterall. You're the one who buys the game and plays it.
it does matter becuase these reviewers bring the gameranking aveRAge down affecting my personal buy

Scrow said:
that's because opinions in creative fields are subjective.

EXPLOSIVO

I was answering someone else's contention that gaf should be the one's to review the reviewers. Any review is subjective, any review of a review would be equally subjective and so on.

ProphetZG

makaveli said:
it does matter becuase these reviewers bring the gameranking aveRAge down affecting my personal buy

GameRankings is an amalgamation of reviewer's opinions. Yes, it's a good resource to get a general feel for the overall "quality" of a title - but it's not the final say by any means.

If you can, you should choose games based on trying them out yourself. Or consult people who have very similar tastes and genre preferences to your own.

Of course, if a game is getting panned by every reviewer, and has a really low GameRankings score - sure, chances are it's crap. But all those games that come out with 60's - 70's scores... Those games simply might appeal more to some, less to others. And every now and then, you might find a 90's rated game that bores you to tears. So it works both ways.

Pellham

Banned
there's no such thing as an objective review.

the only thing i can suggest is finding a publication or reviewer whose opinions closely match yours, and then just follow them from now on.

GhaleonEB

ProphetZG said:
GameRankings is an amalgamation of reviewer's opinions. Yes, it's a good resource to get a general feel for the overall "quality" of a title - but it's not the final say by any means.

If you can, you should choose games based on trying them out yourself.

Of course, if a game is getting panned by every reviewer, and has a really low GameRankings score - sure, chances are it's crap. But all those games that come out with 60's - 70's scores... Those games simply might appeal more to some, less to others. And every now and then, you might find a 90's rated game that bores you to tears. So it works both ways.
Gamerankings is very usefull for understanding how different sites tend to score things. I think someone pounted out earlier that 2/3 of Play magazine's reviews are above the average score. While some sites like 1up actually try to use the whole scale, so 5 is average, whereas a game of similar quality should score a 7 at a site like IGN.

I own and love many games that got sevens and sixes on average; the trick for me is to find a handfull of reviewers that I trust. Sometimes I go by the concensus, but get burned. For example, theres a review of Fable out there which gave is a 6/10, meaning it's not recomended. In retrospect, that's the one I agreed with, though the average score is MUCH higher. That's a game I think most reviewers did a disservice on the public with, but that's just my opinion.

Demos are now a deciding factor for me - if there's a demo out there, and it sucks, that's a deal-breaker regardless of reviews.

ProphetZG

Pellham said:
there's no such thing as an objective review.

I agree.

In fact, I would go so far as to suggest there is no such thing as pure objectivity in any form of journalism. The human mind is innately subjective. We experience everything internally, and unavoidably filter experiences in a personal way. It's not even so much what you write/report, but also what you don't write about. A lot of journalistic subjectivity is manifested by what gets left out - which is why reports might appear objective to an untrained audience. Which is one reason I have little faith in "news" media. But now I'm really rambling... :) I'll stop.

emomoonbase

I'm free 2night after my LARPing guild meets.
Reviews of reviews? Seriously WTF? How about getting off the damn internet for a while and actually playing some games.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Reviews should become completely objective. We can easily break down a game into its component parts, and then rate each part according to quantitative factors. For example: you can measure the quality of music by the number of instruments, number of tracks, etc. You can measure graphics by the number of polygons pushed on the screen, and the postprocessing effects applied, and so on. You can measure "fun" by measuring players' brainwaves (using something like an fMRI machine).

Once we can achieve this, we will enter a new golden age of gaming.

makaveli

Banned
desperate times call for desperte measures and i think reviews of reviews would be perfect and they should also form a cousle of all the top reviewers from the gaming sites to make a review that is fair pure unbias so we can have 1 good standard and then we will have reviewrs like gerstman fired

ProphetZG

makaveli said:
desperate times call for desperte measures and i think reviews of reviews would be perfect and they should also form a cousle of all the top reviewers from the gaming sites to make a review that is fair pure unbias so we can have 1 good standard and then we will have reviewrs like gerstman fired

Perhaps we also need a ReviewRankings.com

makaveli

Banned
measuring players fun using brain wave technology i think is an amazing idea and will bring us into the golden age of reviewing combined with my counsel idea

Top Bottom