• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whoever came up with the idea for Spiderman Unlimited was an absoloute goddamn madman

Penguin

I remember watching the premiere because I thought it would continue directly from the end of Spider-man TAS, but well you explained the show

Never got beyond that.

I remember watching this when it came out thought it was weird as hell but u still liked it.

Though I had what looked like a four armed Carnage toy that I though was from this series but looking at his design again it was completely different. Hmmm now I wonder what Spiderman thing that was from...

Maybe you're thinking of Doppelganger?

2414667-doppelganger.jpg

SpaceWolf

Banned
From the reference links at the bottom of the Wikipedia page.

Basically, Fox Kids pushed Spiderman Unlimited to the back burner because of shakeups intended to try and compete with the massive impact of Pokemon (all the "obsolete 90's shows" greenlit by Fox Kids before Pokemon were now fighting each other over a narrow space, after being pushed to the side in favor of shows like Digimon and Monster Rancher), and then Spiderman Unlimited stayed on that back burner for a full year longer than Marvel was expecting.

Yep. Pokemon stormed the American airwaves in 1998-1999.

In 1999-2000, Fox Kids rushed to cram Digimon, Flint the Time Detective, and Monster Rancher into their lineup.

In 2000-2001, they dropped Monster Rancher and added Escaflowne.

In 2001-2002, they dropped Flint and Escaflowne, and picked up Medabots, Mon Colle Knights, and one season of Transformers Anime.

They were definitely reacting to Pokemon. But it's not like they were the only ones. 2000 is when Cartoon Network jumped from having Robotech, Sailor Moon, and DBZ, into a real massive tsunami of anime programming. Nelvana tried to follow Pokemon in the syndication market (basically free-agent TV shows that haven't signed with any network) with "Cardcaptors" in 2000.

Thank you for this, I wasn't fully aware of the entire context leading up to the show's swift cancellation. Damn, Pokemons.

I remember watching a few episodes and thinking "guess Peter time traveled or something." Never knew it was an alternate earth.

What I did know was that the intro was dope and had some kick-ass music.

This cannot be over-stated. Show probably the most awesome intro of any television show I've ever seen.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I remember that show from when I was a kid. Absolutely hated it.

Top Bottom