• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who's getting the Wii U version of COD Ghosts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effect

Footage/channel not mine.

Sorry, got no clue.

No problem. Thanks. Always curious about that. From the footage the game looks fine. Though it being a different engine from BO2 would account for any negative changes. IW and Treyarch don't use the same tech in their games. Just adapt modes the other might have included in their games.

popeutlal

That RAM PC Ghosts got me thinking....since this game has the same lower player limit as last gen versions, looks to be the same textures, same maps, same audio effects...the same exact game.

Was Wii U's extra ram even used?

prag16

Banned
Cool, your explanation makes sense. I played and finished RE4 Wii edition on an old CRT TV, it looked really good. When I got a 720p plasma and tried the game, I could not get over how bad it looked there.

Yeah, Gamecube games do NOT look very good on HDTVs. Rogue Squadron melted my fucking face at gamecube launch. Played it on the CRT in my parents' basement several years later and it still looked awesome. But on my HDTV last year I fired it up.... not quite so nice as I remembered.

I've wondered that for every port (other than NFS and maybe Trine 2).

That RAM PC Ghosts got me thinking....since this game has the same lower player limit as last gen versions, looks to be the same textures, same maps, same audio effects...the same exact game.

Given that the Xbone version runs only at 720p, I'd be inclined to think that the new engine/version is an un-optimized mess more than anything.

RobbieNick

I always like to go with Wii/WiiU for Call of Duty Friendlier community, less skilled players (as a whole), no cheevo hunters and Wiimote play.

Disguises

Offscreen (and no sound): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jLam5g3iLQ

Edit: And Extinction mode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXeRKRxvLc4 (<-even worse IQ but at least it's something)
Yay. Offscreen (slightly) blurrycam footage. The cycle of Nintendo CoD is complete. It looks like BO2 unsurprisingly, so I'm happy with that. It's been dispatched now, so I'm looking forward to giving this a go on Thursday. I'm sure there will be, but if there isn't any footage out, I might be able to share some from then.

rpmurphy

I guess there is a benefit that this version probably won't be hacked to bits as fast; but then when it does, it'll probably be slow with the patches.

Oh well, ready to get my yearly shooter fix again.

gogogow

Dazran303 is streaming the Wii U version on Twitch for those interest. He's in Ireland I believe. He was playing some of the PC versions earlier. Streams become a bit choppy at times due to streaming to twitch and youtube at the same time I believe.

http://www.twitch.tv/dazran303_youtube

That snowy map looks nice. Could've use some more lighting, but the rock textures actually looks pretty good, some nice bump mapping going on. Did he show how many people were playing?

Effect

The game does look better in motion compared to the screen shots. Glad that's the case.

That snowy map looks nice. Could've use some more lighting, but the rock textures actually looks pretty good, some nice bump mapping going on. Did he show how many people were playing?

When he joined the first match it said 81. He's in Europe though and the Wii U has been doing horrible there. On top of that he got his copies at midnight I believe or started playing them then. So I wouldn't be so worried about that number just yet but at the same time not expecting much on the front. Curious as to how numbers are going to be during North American prime times come this weekend.

gogogow

The game does look better in motion compared to the screen shots. Glad that's the case.

When he joined the first match it said 81. He's in Europe though and the Wii U has been doing horrible there. On top of that he got his copies at midnight I believe or started playing them then. So I wouldn't be so worried about that number just yet but at the same time not expecting much on the front. Curious as to how numbers are going to be during North American prime times come this weekend.

Yeah, gonna be interesting following this one. What was the peak for BO2? 5000 players?
Man, I really wanted to get the Wii U version, but €10 to upgrade to the PS4 version is too good too pass up, though i'm not sure whether i'll do it or not. But it's always nice to have the option.

Yuripaw

Banned
I would still really consider getting the Wii U version of Ghosts if Activision would get their heads out of their ass, and just release their games on the eshop. I noticed that none of their games on there, and I've been trying to go all digital on my Wii U since I got a hard drive for it. I just prefer it so much more. I got credit on my system that I'm waiting to spend, but since Ghosts won't be on there, I can't use it for that.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in Canada and could have been playing this today if Canada Post actually attempted to deliver it to my house. I'm surprised Future Shop actually shipped it to me today.

Maybe we can get some GAF games going this time, I don't think we ever really tried with BO2.

Edit: Dying does look really quick, and I've never really been a fan of the IW look.

Darmik

They're not making this easy to buy in Australia.

Target are selling Call of Duty Ghosts on sale currently for $64. It's advertised on their games counter. So I ask if they had the Wii U version. They did and the guy goes and grabs one for me.

He scans the price.
"$79 please"
"But it says it's $64 right here (I was playing a bit coy)"
"That's for the PS3 and 360. Do you have one of those consoles?"
"I do but...never mind"
"Oh are you sure?"
"Yes"

Oh well. Hopefully somewhere is selling it for the same price.

jercruz

Target are selling Call of Duty Ghosts on sale currently for $64. It's advertised on their games counter. So I ask if they had the Wii U version. They did and the guy goes and grabs one for me.

He scans the price.
"$79 please"
"I do but...never mind"
"Oh are you sure?"
"Yes"

lol as was ogling at the $64 price too today... then I scanned the Wii U version... $79. maybe i'll wait a little bit more.

He scans the price.
"$79 please"
"I do but...never mind"
"Oh are you sure?"
"Yes"

Still cheaper than the $131 they're selling it for here. It's like they want it to fail. I imported mine. Hopefully it gets here soon.

rpmurphy

Damn it, dead tired right now and got work tomorrow... Still want to go pick up the game though. :(

EDIT:
Got it. Doing the game update...

cafemomo

seriously if Nintendo/Activision made a Ghost bundle, slap a huge sticker that says "FREE ONLINE PLAY" it would sell

and i'd get one myself. something about playing it on the gamepad is tickling me.

seriously if Nintendo/Activision made a Ghost bundle, slap a huge sticker that says "FREE ONLINE PLAY" it would sell

and i'd get one myself. something about playing it on the gamepad is tickling me.

this game specially is great for quick gamepad play or just playing gamepad while your significant other watches tv.

Pro controller and tv or gamepad is also great.

also wiimote is great

lots of options

rpmurphy

195 players online, 156 on TDM lol. Played an offline game of Squads and the graphics are good (no issues with framerate but then I only played one round), and pointer controls are smooth as butter, unlike the mess that was BO2.

Effect

How's the AI in squads. Does it try to mimic real players like they've tried to push or do they feel like your average bots?

That stream gets my hopes up. Someone said that a dev confirmed that the Wiimote lag present at launch of BO2 is fixed in Ghosts, so I'm definitely interested. Once I know I've got the leeway, I'll be getting this.

SmokeMaxX

195 players online, 156 on TDM lol. Played an offline game of Squads and the graphics are good (no issues with framerate but then I only played one round), and pointer controls are smooth as butter, unlike the mess that was BO2.

Considering it's Europe, that's not TOO bad. I expect there to be more online players than BO2, but probably still not too many. Unfortunate too.

coreyerb

Banned
I wish I saw those fast kill times other people always talk about for BO2. I saw those fast DEATH times, but in terms of kill times it always took me 35 hitmarkers to take anyone down outside of hardcore mode (at least there the instakills went both ways).
BO2 was an absolute disaster in this regard, the lag compensation and damage inconsistencies were absolutely awful. I was surprised to see this being a problem on all platforms, not just WiiU.
Yeah I should've said quick death times. Twitch stream tonight shows the same thing - couldn't count how many times he said "Oh, I had him!" - and it's the first night. No difference in lag compensation.

There's still going to be times you pump four KSG slugs into someone, hitmarkers and all, and they wheel around and drop you in a quick SMG burst. They're not going to acknowledge it's a problem (and why would they? It keeps it so that it's simple for anyone to pick up and feel they're not terrible) but it ruins the gameplay for me. Just doesn't feel like skill matters at all.

2,5 hours until shops open. I hope for a good launch day deal at either Saturn or Mediamarkt, like GTA for 50€.

Someone suggested to get some GAF games going, I'm all for that. NNID is AkimbO_LUC.

SmokeMaxX

I'll be picking this up either tomorrow or the next day. Also getting my gf a copy of the 360 version since she prefers playing with my friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom