• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who's getting the Wii U version of COD Ghosts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loakum

Banned
Nah, I'm not..I went with the PS4 (hardened edition)..and I just got a text from gamestop to pick it up this Tuesday. :)

gemoran4

I'll have to see youtube footage, but not impressed by the shots. It looks worse than BLOPs 2 did on the Wii U imo.

It really does seem like they actually downgraded the engine from Black Ops 2 to Ghosts.
Black Ops 2 was actually a very pretty game. But this is looking rough as hell.
Here's a few I took in the WiiU Screen thread of BO2.

Not the most technical game, but it at least seems to have better lighting.

cross gen looks to have hurt things, which shouldn't be a surprise really. for all the downplaying of the PS4/Xbox One versions, the last gen versions look very 'downporty'.

I'd imagine multiplayer will come off quite a bit better.

Effect

feel sorry for that dev on twitter he is getting an onslaught of questions and negative comments. he is trying to talk the game up. again i have the game preordered and will enjoy it but he is trying to claim this wasnt a port and built around Wii U strenghts.

Guess we'll know for certain soon if he was being honest or just trying to play up the game.

Jrs3000

that fish ai
iECdNJUqjo1L2.jpg

i think that fish ai is broke, he didn't swim away
iFQ7OqTTSxrAM.jpg

ibaessfYUCoqVu.jpg

jaz013

Banned
Should be here on Tuesday, sadly, it will stay untouched until Wednesday, maybe Thursday.

Superior pointer controls for me. Maybe superior PC race when it hits the hard bottom on Steam.

As someone who's shit at CoD, the player base is an attractive feature. It's nicer and I actually get some killstreaks. I never get higher than 2 on the PS3.

That, MiiVerse, and off-screen play make it a no-brainer.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
As someone who's shit at CoD, the player base is an attractive feature. It's nicer and I actually get some killstreaks. I never get higher than 2 on the PS3.

Heh, that was one of the reasons I picked up Blops 2 on Wii U. I was never very good at Call of Duty (simply because I didn't put in any of the time necessary to do well) so it was kind of fun playing the game on Wii U due to the lower skill requirements.

fernoca

On another note... Nintendo better announce a Direct before this game is released. No matter what you feel about the series it is one of the biggest releases of the year. We have not seen any OFFICAL Wii U gameplay and that would be a shame on them. get it together Nintendo.
Well, the game will be released in under 24 hours..so doubt Nintendo will announce a Direct just now. :p

It's Activision's decision though. Same way they haven't shown official 360 and PS3 footage. Heck, there's no official footage of the versions that will be on sale tomorrow (PC, PS3, 360 and Wii U. Some Gamestops will also sell the PS4 version, but the console is not out until Nov. 15).

I'm not concerned with the graphics. BO2 looked good and ran great in multiplayer.

I'm just looking forward to jumping back into a pointer-controlled FPS. I have no idea how it's worth it for Activision/Treyarch to keep supporting a Wii U version with unique options, but they're keeping me playing FPS games on consoles. So if A_Trey_U is reading this, props to you.

very weird! never know with Nintendo though but i thought a direct for this game was a sure thing.

They're not even allowed to release screens for the Wii U version. What would make you think that a CoD Direct was a "sure thing".

This. I will light a candle for pointer controlled FPS's, as the concept seems to be in the process of dying a slow and painful death.

After growing up on mouse/keyboard, and then logging a lot of time on Wii remote/nunchuck, dual analog is just laughably horrific, a complete joke really.

It really is a shame. They finally made an input that is tailored for shooters and usable from a couch and people would rather stick with dual analog, a setup made for a completely different type of genre that was shoehorned into shooters and is only usable because of tons of artficial assistance.

I got tired of waiting for games with good pointer control support and then having to play technically inferior versions to use them, so I switched to a Razer Hydra on PC. Pointer controls + technically best version is the best of both worlds. Here is a video of it in BF4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yBbDjY95GY

See the thing is, one thing I really like about Wiimote aiming is that the gun isn't fixed to the screen centre. It just feels more natural than a gun that's always straight out in front of me.

Playing FPS on Dual Analog or Mouse Controls, it just always bugs the hell out of me to see those static guns ever since playing on the Wii.

It's really a shame that Sony didn't push harder for Move integration.

See the thing is, one thing I really like about Wiimote aiming is that the gun isn't fixed to the screen centre. It just feels more natural than a gun that's always straight out in front of me.

Playing FPS on Dual Analog or Mouse Controls, it just always bugs the hell out of me to see those static guns ever since playing on the Wii.

It's really a shame that Sony didn't push harder for Move integration.

A floating gun would be ideal in a setting where you also have a separate input specifically for your field of view, like the Oculus Rift. The problem with the floating gun in pointer controls on the wii and Move is that you are using the same input for both aiming and camera control, and they are divorced from one another so you end up with a bounding box. This also means that aiming has an extra factor, you already have your own movement to track plus the enemy's movement and now you have to add in the camera's independant movement. Still way better than dual analog.

Floating gun is nice for immersion in a 'full body awareness' kind of way but in actual use its inferior to a locked cursor. Until we get Oculus Rift of course.

A floating gun would be ideal in a setting where you also have a separate input specifically for your field of view, like the Oculus Rift. The problem with the floating gun in pointer controls on the wii and Move is that you are using the same input for both aiming and camera control, and they are divorced from one another so you end up with a bounding box. This also means that aiming has an extra factor, you already have your own movement to track plus the enemy's movement and now you have to add in the camera's independant movement. Still way better than dual analog.

Floating gun is nice for immersion in a 'full body awareness' kind of way but in actual use its inferior to a locked cursor. Until we get Oculus Rift of course.

True, it's no where near as stable as a fixed gun, but that's beside the point really. It's just a lot more natural looking and honestly as long as the acceleration and deadzones are set up right it's second only to Mouse aiming.

For the oculus Rift a device like the Wiimote/Move is almost a must.

I'm usually not a so called "graphics whore" but after seeing those screens i'm definitely not buying this game at full price. BLOPS2 looks so much better than this and I've been enyoing it online a lot lately after not playing it for some months.
Maybe when it's down to 20€ or something i'm gonna get it, gotta support 3rd party stuff i guess even if it's just lazy ports...

Jrs3000

I'm usually not a so called "graphics whore" but after seeing those screens i'm definitely not buying this game at full price. BLOPS2 looks so much better than this and I've been enyoing it online a lot lately after not playing it for some months.
Maybe when it's down to 20€ or something i'm gonna get it, gotta support 3rd party stuff i guess even if it's just lazy ports...

It's still worth playing for story/multiplayer. Despite the visual quality it does run at a constant frame rate and it seems they went over the top with the set pieces and destruction, I'll give them that. I've been playing on the gamepad and that makes the game look better lol. Black Black Friday it will be deals for it so you can avoid full price.

It's still worth playing for story/multiplayer. Despite the visual quality it does run at a constant frame rate and it seems they went over the top with the set pieces and destruction, I'll give them that. I've been playing on the gamepad and that makes the game look better lol. Black Black Friday it will be deals for it so you can avoid full price.

There's no Black Friday in Germany ;) But I'll keep my eyes open, maybe there's a good christmas deal...

ciccione

I am getting it tomorrow. Last year I had a blast with off TV mode and splitted multy. I don't plan to get PS4 or XBone, so I am sure this will be a good choice.

Berg

I got tired of waiting for games with good pointer control support and then having to play technically inferior versions to use them, so I switched to a Razer Hydra on PC. Pointer controls + technically best version is the best of both worlds. Here is a video of it in BF4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yBbDjY95GY

Ugh, that looks like horrible in my opinion. Its so stiff, analog stick stiff. It doesn't look like he's pointing to aim, but rather scrolling with motion. weird.

prag16

Banned
Heh, that was one of the reasons I picked up Blops 2 on Wii U. I was never very good at Call of Duty (simply because I didn't put in any of the time necessary to do well) so it was kind of fun playing the game on Wii U due to the lower skill requirements.

Really? My friends who have played both didn't see an enormous gap. When I played the PS3 version myself I got my ass kicked, but most of it was attributable to being shit with dual analog.

BLOPS2 looks so much better than this

Nah, it really doesn't. Check out some BO2 Wii U screenshots. There are lots of 360 youtube videos of online gameplay floating around now. It looks the same as BO2 more or less.

Ugh, that looks like horrible in my opinion. Its so stiff, analog stick stiff. It doesn't look like he's pointing to aim, but rather scrolling with motion. weird.

How is it stiff? It is literally direct emulation of a mouse. There is no bounding box that you need to push up against to move the camera, so I don't know what you mean by 'scrolling'. I don't see how you can liken it to an analog stick, sticks don't use absolute positioning and instead move based on their relative position from center. That is nothing like this or mouse control.

dark10x

Really? My friends who have played both didn't see an enormous gap. When I played the PS3 version myself I got my ass kicked, but most of it was attributable to being shit with dual analog.
Well, I never played much CoD on PS3 due to the visual hits it always took. I picked up MW2 and 3 on Xbox 360 and simply could not enjoy the online play due to my lack of practice. I felt as if you HAD to memorize the map in order to compete due to the almost instant death. Faster games, such as UT and Quake, as well as more slow paced titles like Halo all allow you to take many more hits and react to your opponent.

I went for Blops 2 on Wii U simply because it was a new system, really, and found that I played better online there than I ever had on 360. I simply attributed that to the potentially less experienced player base.

prag16

Banned
Well, I never played much CoD on PS3 due to the visual hits it always took. I picked up MW2 and 3 on Xbox 360 and simply could not enjoy the online play due to my lack of practice. I felt as if you HAD to memorize the map in order to compete due to the almost instant death. Faster games, such as UT and Quake, as well as more slow paced titles like Halo all allow you to take many more hits and react to your opponent.

I went for Blops 2 on Wii U simply because it was a new system, really, and found that I played better online there than I ever had on 360. I simply attributed that to the potentially less experienced player base.

Assuming you use dual analog on both then, for a "fair" comparison? One guy I know has only a slightly higher KDR on Wii U and he plays dual analog on both. Another guy actually has a slightly lower KDR (wiimote on Wii U). A third is almost right about the same (wiimote on Wii U). That's only anecdotal and may not be typical. Also 360 might have a stronger player base than PS3 too.

Hard to tell for sure, but it looks fine. Same as BO2. Maybe a hair nicer looking lighting, but can't be sure obviously. Those with their panties in a bunch over the screenshots in this thread are likely overblowing things.

Maxrunner

The only reason to get this on WiiU would be the wiimote plus support. That's the superior control mode. I would love if straight right released some dlc for deus ex to give this option.

coreyerb

Banned
Offscreen (and no sound): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jLam5g3iLQ

Edit: And Extinction mode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXeRKRxvLc4 (<-even worse IQ but at least it's something)
Wow :14 of that first video - nonexistent kill times. No thanks.

I'm not getting it at launch. Too much emphasis on features I don't care about and not enough on the one I do care about: Does it reward skill? With lag comp and such fast kill times BO2 just never felt like it was skill that was earning me kills, or lack of skill getting me killed.

Zombies mode saved BO2 for me (though no DLC makes it a tiny mode), so maybe Extinction will be worth getting Ghosts for, but I'm holding off. There's enough other games out for Wii U that I'm not going to fall for the COD lure at launch this time.

Same here, I also appreciate not getting killed every 2 seconds like I did on PS3.

prag16

Banned
Wow :14 of that first video - nonexistent kill times. No thanks.

I'm not getting it at launch. Too much emphasis on features I don't care about and not enough on the one I do care about: Does it reward skill? With lag comp and such fast kill times BO2 just never felt like it was skill that was earning me kills, or lack of skill getting me killed.

Zombies mode saved BO2 for me (though no DLC makes it a tiny mode), so maybe Extinction will be worth getting Ghosts for, but I'm holding off. There's enough other games out for Wii U that I'm not going to fall for the COD lure at launch this time.

I wish I saw those fast kill times other people always talk about for BO2. I saw those fast DEATH times, but in terms of kill times it always took me 35 hitmarkers to take anyone down outside of hardcore mode (at least there the instakills went both ways).

I wish I saw those fast kill times other people always talk about for BO2. I saw those fast DEATH times, but in terms of kill times it always took me 35 hitmarkers to take anyone down outside of hardcore mode (at least there the instakills went both ways).

BO2 was an absolute disaster in this regard, the lag compensation and damage inconsistencies were absolutely awful. I was surprised to see this being a problem on all platforms, not just WiiU.

I wish Redbox would get their act together and ACTUALLY have WiiU games

Yes, I know I'm part of the problem. But I won't have a console by the 18th so I can't invest that kind of money into a game like this.

You should see these games on a good CRT. What a difference it makes.

I know this is material for making fun at. But I have BOs 2 and really, it does look that much better on the gamepad.

Offscreen (and no sound): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jLam5g3iLQ

Edit: And Extinction mode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXeRKRxvLc4 (<-even worse IQ but at least it's something)

Pretty difficult to gauge really, but first impressions seems to be very similar to Black Ops 2.

I really need some impressions from someone that has both, as even Black Ops 2 screens look very rough, how it looks in motion is what I am really interested at.

prag16

Banned
I really need some impressions from someone that has both, as even Black Ops 2 screens look very rough, how it looks in motion is what I am really interested at.

Yeah, I always though all along that BO2 looked better in motion than in screens (on both PS3 and Wii U).

All the more reason why people are premature in losing their shit over these screens. It'll be fine.

dark10x

I know this is material for making fun at. But I have BOs 2 and really, it does look that much better on the gamepad.
I do too and I agree.

I wasn't joking either. The CoD games always used a lower resolution which really became apparent on fixed pixel displays while 60 fps suffers on modern displays due to image trailing. An HD CRT is perfect for Call of Duty in that the jaggies are all but eliminated and the framerate appears much more solid than what you'd see on a flat panel.

The gamepad screen solves the resolution issue by downscaling it (which is essentially what you see on a CRT as well) but it still blurs in motion due to the use of an LCD.

Seriously, if you ever have access to an HD CRT, load up Black Ops 2 and prepare to be amazed by how much more vivid it can look. Same is true with most PS3/360/Wii U games and, of course, older generation consoles. You don't get the same sharpness as a flat panel but the overall image is smoother and more pleasing to the eye, I find.

I do too and I agree.

I wasn't joking either. The CoD games always used a lower resolution which really became apparent on fixed pixel displays while 60 fps suffers on modern displays due to image trailing. An HD CRT is perfect for Call of Duty in that the jaggies are all but eliminated and the framerate appears much more solid than what you'd see on a flat panel.

The gamepad screen solves the resolution issue by downscaling it (which is essentially what you see on a CRT as well) but it still blurs in motion due to the use of an LCD.

Seriously, if you ever have access to an HD CRT, load up Black Ops 2 and prepare to be amazed by how much more vivid it can look. Same is true with most PS3/360/Wii U games and, of course, older generation consoles. You don't get the same sharpness as a flat panel but the overall image is smoother and more pleasing to the eye, I find.

Cool, your explanation makes sense. I played and finished RE4 Wii edition on an old CRT TV, it looked really good. When I got a 720p plasma and tried the game, I could not get over how bad it looked there.

Jrs3000

Pretty difficult to gauge really, but first impressions seems to be very similar to Black Ops 2.

Yeah it does look good on the gamepad. Flawless in motion so far during hectic scenes the framerate keeps up. I have bo2 on 360 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom