• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who's getting the Wii U version of COD Ghosts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread has got me rather excited for Ghosts on the Wii u. Anyone pre-ordered this in the UK? I cant find a good price other than the extortionate £43.99 on amazon..
Put it into Flubit. Failing that maybe the supermarkets will include the WiiU version in their promotions this year. I doubt they'll stock it however.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Couple of gamer's i work with say it's 1080p but i'm betting it's 720p 60fps just like Xbone.

Not to bothered about this cod,maybe because i bought all the others.
1080p for Wii u will be the ultimate troll for the XbOne. But I will be surprised if this port hits 720p.

prag16

Banned
The day pointer aiming is gone is the day I'm done with console FPSes for good.

This. I will light a candle for pointer controlled FPS's, as the concept seems to be in the process of dying a slow and painful death.

After growing up on mouse/keyboard, and then logging a lot of time on Wii remote/nunchuck, dual analog is just laughably horrific, a complete joke really.

LudwigB

I brought Blops2 on Wii U and enjoyed playing on the game pad.
I probably buy Ghosts depending if I have funds in the bank.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Can't say I'm interested in CoD at all to get it. My roommate was interested in getting BLOPS 2 for Wii U for the off-TV play/local multiplayer. Maybe he's interested in Ghosts, altho I think not interested enough to buy it himself.

I'll probably end up getting. BLOPS 2 U was ace, and I'd like an online multiplayer game to play for the holidays. Hopefully more people buy this one.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The issues were limited to the single player campaign. The online was not affected. Anecdotally, two friends of mine played BOTH and PS3 and Wii U versions extensively and they both said the Wii U version was a much smoother online experience.
Eh, it was affected in that it dipped fairly often but, similar to the other versions, the dips were less severe in multiplayer. 360 definitely had the smoothest framerate.

If it didn't bother most people that's great but that doesn't really change the reality. The fact is, early opinions suggesting that Blops 2 was so good on Wii U prompted me to go ahead and buy it on that platform and I was extremely disappointed with the results. This was, mind you, before the full extent of the bad launch ports were known. In retrospect it was one of the best ports but it was still slower than any other version of the game.

The two player option with the gamepad was really really cool, though, even if the framerate was poor. I loved that idea.

Really? 360? That would be a shitty port. Do you really think that?

BTW when is AC4 Wii U vs. 360 comparison scheduled?
I'm only guessing based on the years of experience they have on 360. PS3 never really caught up to 360 with Call of Duty and it wouldn't surprise me if Wii U struggles as well. We'll see, though. I hope it turns out great!

Good to know you think it's passable. Still a janky mess compared to an IR setup.
Fair enough. I've personally had issues with the IR setup in the past due to the way it handles re-establishing the position. If you move outside of its field or it loses track of you it tends to show up in the game with weird camera motion. I felt that the Move allowed me to hold my hands in a more comfortable position.

They each have their own advantages, though, and I think they both can work really well. Not knocking the Wii-mote especially with M+. It's just always been more fiddly for me. Not that the Move didn't have its own issues, of course. Neither one is really my preferred way to play, though, as I just don't find them as comfortable for long term play.

My yearly ritual of pointer aiming fraging. A tradition since MP3, how can I miss it? Specially since looks like it's the only avenue left. The day pointer aiming is gone is the day I'm done with console FPSes for good..

I feel the same way. CoD for Wii U is literally the only way I can comfortably play an FPS on console.

krumble

Have it pre ordered
Xchanged some old games for the credit
Not getting ps4 or XBONE and off tv play is the seller for me rather than go current gen

prag16

Banned
Eh, it was affected in that it dipped fairly often but, similar to the other versions, the dips were less severe in multiplayer. 360 definitely had the smoothest framerate.

If it didn't bother most people that's great but that doesn't really change the reality. The fact is, early opinions suggesting that Blops 2 was so good on Wii U prompted me to go ahead and buy it on that platform and I was extremely disappointed with the results. This was, mind you, before the full extent of the bad launch ports were known. In retrospect it was one of the best ports but it was still slower than any other version of the game.

Don't spread misinformation. Your source is DF, correct? Here's what they say about this in their faceoff article:

There is some good news, however. In terms of rendering, the multiplayer component of the game poses far fewer challenges than the campaign, meaning that you get an experience that is very, very close to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of the game. You just need to bear in mind that the Wii U's online community is pretty sparse at the moment, and that COD may not be its focus.

Low player count? Sure. Poor performance? Nope.

DoubleTap

I am. It was listed at $49.99 on Amazon when I ordered it. It's now the same price as the other versions. Pointer controls and separate screens for 2 player couch coop are what sold me.

Bog

Junior Ace
Maybe if it's cheap, for all the reasons everyone mentioned. And yes, I'll have a PS4 already. But I love me some Gamepad.

EDarkness

As much as it saddens me, I'm getting it. There are so few FPS games with IR controls, that buying Ghosts is a must. I wish Activision supported the eShop so that we could get the full experience. :(

Berg

I've NEVER noticed any performance issues with BO2, multiplayer or campaign.
As for the lower player count, I don't think this is an issue anymore. Kotaku publicized the player count day 1 of a brand new system. I'm able to find a match in any mode, except league play. Its player count sits around ~3.5 to 4k.

dark10x

Don't spread misinformation. Your source is DF, correct? Here's what they say about this in their faceoff article:

My source is myself, actually.

It is close to the PS3 and 360 version but not as consistent. The game drops frames in multiplayer on all three platforms but drops more on Wii U.

I've NEVER noticed any performance issues with BO2, multiplayer or campaign.
That's fine, but they ARE there especially in campaign (where it can drop to sub-30 fps at points even).

I'm not shitting on the Wii U here. I'm talking about the port of Blops 2.

We've already seen how much things can improve in better hands with more time. Arkham City was nigh unplayable on Wii U but Arkham Origins runs infinitely better. It's a world of difference. Perhaps the same will happen with Ghosts?

Malvingt2

It is close to the PS3 and 360 version but not as consistent. The game drops frames in multiplayer on all three platforms but drops more on Wii U.

this is not correct. Actually the PS3 version had a lot of drop frames issues in MP more than the WiiU and 360 versions.

prag16

Banned

Well, my anecdote is clearly better than your anecdote. ;)

The WiiU version will probably be $19.99 on Amazon by January (if not earlier) - so that may be the way to go.

Maybe, but don't hold your breath. That's not what happened with BO2. It was in the ~$40 range for quite some times, and didn't make it to the territory you're talking about until towards late summer at least.

this is not correct. Actually the PS3 version had a lot of drop frames issues in MP more than the WiiU and 360 versions.

This is what I had heard from people who have played both.

Heck yea. Wiimote + nunchuk controls, off-tv play, and Treyarch developing make it the best version for me. We probably won't get dlc again though.

Ive had the same discussion with him and he continues with spreading misinformation. You can link him till your blue in the face and he wont stop. Multiplayer has no issues whats so ever in BLOPS2, its just the single player game.

baphomet

BO2 hit over 4000 peak last December, and even now can reach 2500 some nights. Still very very low, but no need for you to exaggerate and discourage potential buyers.

Also I've never not been able to at least get a match in:

TDM
HCTDM
KC
Dom
FFA

Other than those, yes, it can be quite difficult or impossible.

I had it since launch and was really the only thing I ever used the console for. I never saw it near 4k and even on a Friday or Saturday evening recently it's less than 1,500 from my experience. There are game types I was just never able to play. When my girlfriend can't get into a Zombies match without waiting 5-10 minutes something is wrong. A large portion of the game just isnt playable.

There really is no reason, aside from off tv play, to get this over any other version. I will admit off tv play is nice, but its not worth missing out on all the game types and all the downloadable maps and such.

prag16

Banned
I had it since launch and was really the only thing I ever used the console for. I never saw it near 4k and even on a Friday or Saturday evening recently it's less than 1,500 from my experience. There are game types I was just never able to play. When my girlfriend can't get into a Zombies match without waiting 5-10 minutes something is wrong. A large portion of the game just isnt playable.

There really is no reason, aside from off tv play, to get this over any other version. I will admit off tv play is nice, but its not worth missing out on all the game types and all the downloadable maps and such.

Are you in Europe? The "peak" times I'm talking about are roughly say 8pm to midnight, Eastern US time. I saw 2400 just a few days ago. I have a screenshot of something like 4200 or thereabouts from late December, but I probably won't take the time to bother digging it up. Not making it up though, lol.

But yeah, I guess if you have another option, and you don't care about pointer controls, the list of compelling reasons to get the Wii U version is rather short.

Daknight

Surprise they can't answer at what resolution this game is going to run on Wii U o_O (at least based on the link posted with a somewhat Q&A). Seems...strange they would withhold that information if is the same as last year. Now if is 1080p, that is one hell of a double-punch to Xbox one O_O

J.W.Crazy

I don't know if I can justify getting it day 1 (been spending a lot on games lately) but if it's at least as good as Blops2 I plan on getting it before the end of the year. I'm not a huge MP fan but you can't really go wrong with CoD and it's nice to have something to play every once in a while.

I've played all the previous campaigns on PC because I prefer M+KB which I'll probably do this time as well. That said there's something about pointer controls that I find so much more engaging even though you lose some of the speed and accuracy. I'm a mediocre player at best so I'd rather be fully immersed than gain a few extra points on my laughable KDR.

zruben

Banned
I really don't like FPS too much, but Modern Warfare 2 was actually fun on the Wii thanks to the pointer controllers.

Maybe I'll check it out when it gets cheap.

dark10x

Surprise they can't answer at what resolution this game is going to run on Wii U o_O (at least based on the link posted with a somewhat Q&A). Seems...strange they would withhold that information if is the same as last year. Now if is 1080p, that is one hell of a double-punch to Xbox one O_O
I'm more surprised that they actually revealed the internal resolution. They have NEVER done that in the past.

I have BLOPS 2 on Wii U....there are absolutely no performance issues online.
Listen, I'm not trying to damn anything here, the point is, Blops 2 drops frames on all three consoles in multiplayer. Does that mean it comes crashing down to 30 fps? No. It does, however, regularly sit under 60 fps adding a bit of image judder to the experience and increasing latency.

Is it a big deal for most players? Probably not.

It just so happens that the Wii U version DOES slow down a bit more often than the 360 version (and sometimes even the PS3 version, though it's much uglier).

If it doesn't bother you, great, but it does bother me and some others. So, in a sense, it's difficult to discuss. Someone saying it's "perfect", for instance, it's mis-representing reality as it is most certainly not perfect. When I say it has issues, however, I'm not saying that it's somehow unplayable. In single player, yes, it's pretty awful, but it's not bad in MP...just not completely consistent. The fact is that it does run slower than 360, but not by a wide margin, and neither version is completely consistent. It's also true that most players buying a Call of Duty game on the Wii U probably won't be able to notice such things so they're all good.

It's an old port, though, and I have hopes that Ghosts will actually run a lot better this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom