• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who's your top 5 GOAT hip hop producers

I don't have an order for this because I think about this less than rappers because a lot of songs I listen to I have no idea who produced it.

Organized Noise: Come on! "Funky Ride" and "SpottieOttieDopalicious" are like the two best beats ever!

Oddisee: He has great beats. I'm likely just putting him on here because he's one of the few rappers I know that make their own beats.

Vanilla: I'm actually not sure if Vanilla just does all instrumentals or does song for artists too, but he has like two 9/10 albums and some very good others.

Small Professor: Some damn good shit and he puts out a lot of work.

Actually this is all I can really say. I don't really know of many others that I have a ton of exposure to.

Mesoian

In no particular order:

El-P
Dilla
Pharrell
Flying Lotus
Kanye (his lyrics are the worst they've ever been but god damn, the production on Yeezus is fire).

*Amon Tobin (* because he's not really worked with anyone decent, but the production work is so good he can release instrumentals that sell better than the full albums)

Will F

My preferences for hip hop trends toward the 90's and offbeat/weird tracks and skits. In no order:

RZA
Q-Tip
Madlib
Prince Paul
Dan the Automator

I'm surprised so many people say Pharrell and the Neptunes, like I didn't even know they composed stuff for rap.

Also, what female producers are there? I literally only know of Sammus. I hear Missy produces, but does she produce for rappers like herself?

I feel like it would be better to at least post one of your favorite beats for one of the artists. I'm pretty unfamiliar with RZA personally.

Nabs

I feel like it would be better to at least post one of your favorite beats for one of the artists. I'm pretty unfamiliar with RZA personally.

Use this opportunity to get familiar with Wu from 93-96. Should be fun.

36 Chambers, Tical, Return to the 36..., Liquid Swords, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Ironman... Insane run.

Timbaland: Aaliyah - If Your Girl Only Knew

The Neptunes / Pharrell: The Clipse - Grindin

Pete Rock: Jeru the Damaja - Can't Stop the Prophet

Premier: Jeru the Damaja - Can't Stop the Prophet

(See what I did there)

Just Blaze: Drake - Lord Knows

Off the top of my head, I would probably say:

Kno
DJ Premier
El-P
Questlove (or maybe just the roots in general, not sure who to credit)

(click names for links)

I really couldn't name a fifth. I thought of Kanye, Exile, Nottz, Mike Will Made it, Stoupe, Ant, Dre and a lot of others. Too many good producers to settle on one.

Jayveer

1. Stoupe the enemy of mankind
2. DJ Premier
3. Alchemist
4. Necro
5. RZA

honourable mention to Kno and Kanye West. I would have put DJ Premier as 1 some years ago. But I can't deny how much I love everything about Stoupe's work, such great diversity in his sample material, same reason I like Necro.

jetsetrez

Madlib
J Dilla
Rza

Honestly, I gotta give Kanye props here, too, as much as I find him to be insultingly vapid/narcissistic/ego-maniacal/insane now days. His production was fire for a few albums. It's probably still okay, but I can't stomach him long enough to even pay attention anymore.

Kanye West
Madlib
Dr. Dre
DJ Premier
MF DOOM

I haven't listened to a lot of their music, but this is my list in order of most favourite. I need to listen to more J Dilla as all I can remember as the stuff I've listened to sounds really similar.

Top Bottom