• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why a Wii U price cut wouldn't make sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dysun

System needs games at a quicker rate and a price drop to stir interest.

It's too bad for Iwatas bottom line but unless he wants to bury Nintendos home console mindshare forever there is no alternative course. The upcoming lineup only appeals to a fraction of gamers out there and the barrier of entry has been rejected by consumers.

Take the loss or the system is done for

end of november, the system will be beyond saving. By then, it just won't make any sense to buy a wiiU anymore. Sorry, don't have anything against the wiiu, but nintendo's strategy ways flawed, right from the get go.

it will make sense when the right content is out, then again, not everyone will wait like me.

RedSwirl

I think what OP forgets in analysis is that "costs" are not just hardware costs. It also takes a lot of resources to develop games. I doubt many games developed for the WiiU have made back much money, and a lot have lost due to the small WiiU install base. Nintendo titles may be "evergreens" but if the install base does not pick up, they may stay in the red, or make minuscule profits. Thus taking a price cut is not just "more loss" but shifting the loss from the future to the present.

That being said, I also don't see a price cut this holiday season, but extensive bundling as OP mention. I suspect 32 GB machine + Nintendo Land + other title + 2 free WiiU eshop games (maybe 1 virtual console and something like Little Inferno) for $350? As a result, I expect to see some retailers having specials on the non-holiday versions (~$300 price range for deluxe). In coordination with a big marketing push around late October. The reason being that PS4 and XBone will likely both be supply constrained, no matter what the cost of the Nintendo machine. About 2/3rds of America won't even know the new machines are out yet, or understand why they need them, as it takes time for that information to culturally disseminate. Therefore, Nintendo does not need to compete directly with PS4 or XBone this holiday on price.

This will allow for Nintendo to look at their holiday sales and adjust strategy based on that. If it fails to take off, we can probably expect a $50-$75 price cut of the deluxe version in April, after the fiscal year. If it does admirably, maybe the price cut comes in September 2014. If it completely bombs, then I suspect we will have a changing of the guard, with Mr. Iwata taking on a different role, and then anything can happen.

This is probably the most analytical look at the whole situation yet in a thread full of people basing business decisions on their feelings about the console.

Just get rid of the white SKU and have

Standard Wii U: same as current white SKU but with 32GB and option of white/black
Deluxe Wii U or any other bundle: as it currently is.

I don't see the HD a problem. If you get the Standard SKU and retail games, there is still room for some indie titles on the 32GB.

I think Nintendo's biggest mistake was with the launch Tools. If they had planned and supported 3rd parties better, so that at least the launch titles showed some graphical advantage + gamepad over the other versions it would had done better. You need the hardcore crowd at the start and then the casual market in the long run.

I love my Wii U!!

jmls1121

Banned
end of november, the system will be beyond saving. By then, it just won't make any sense to buy a wiiU anymore. Sorry, don't have anything against the wiiu, but nintendo's strategy ways flawed, right from the get go.

You are confusing the GAF conventional wisdom with realities of this industry. The idea that the WiiU is done for if it does not sell gangbusters is judt flat wrong.

NIGHT-

Don't understand the no games argument. Pikimin 3, luigi u and wonderful 101 just came out and there are some huge games coming this winter. It'll have a way stronger lineup than the other 2 next gen consoles. Exactly why I'll be buying the Zelda special edition console over a x1 and ps4 this winter

balohna

End of November is right before SM3W. That's when I'd want one.

This is probably the most analytical look at the whole situation yet in a thread full of people basing business decisions on their feelings about the console.

I disagree. Anticipating that Nintendo's marketing push in October will be bigger or better than Microsoft's marketing push is a bit concerning.

Don't understand the no games argument. Pikimin 3, luigi u and wonderful 101 just came out and there are some huge games coming this winter. It'll have a way stronger lineup than the other 2 next gen consoles. Exactly why I'll be buying the Zelda special edition console over a x1 and ps4 this winter

Exactly, also the emphasis on graphics is amazing, I have PS3/Wii U and 3DS. I am going to get a PC for the graphics, but I am delaying that because the lineup is packed with amazing games and I have yet to pick up Pikmin 3 and W101. It is like I want every single game to be released and coupled with the 3rd party games, looks like a top notch gaming library is building up for the Wii U. Even CoD Ghosts is I go by BOs 2 will play great.

I don't want to miss any of those games so looks like I will need a lot of money and time.

I mean, pound for pound it would be hard to argue that Wii U's line up isn't stronger than the other two next gen consoles this year.

Wii U's problem is that of perceived future value. Sure, Wii U's library at the end of December will be much larger and filled with more exclusives, many of them from blockbuster franchises. But what about the end of December next year? The year after that? I doubt the people buying PS4/XBONE over Wii U this season do so because either has a comprehensively better line up (though each has a decent set of exclusives) but because they have a much better chance of being the nexus for future games.

Nintendo is failing at communicating the strength of their line up when it actually is the strongest, what will their messaging be when it isn't?

TDLink

I mean, pound for pound it would be hard to argue that Wii U's line up isn't stronger than the other two next gen consoles this year.

Wii U's problem is that of perceived future value. Sure, Wii U's library at the end of December will be much larger and filled with more exclusives, many of them from blockbuster franchises. But what about the end of December next year? The year after that? I doubt the people buying PS4/XBONE over Wii U this season do so because either has a comprehensively better line up (though each has a decent set of exclusives) but because they have a much better chance of being the nexus for future games.

Nintendo is failing at communicating the strength of their line up when it actually is the strongest, what will their messaging be when it isn't?
I think it is impossible to know what next year's Wii U lineup for third parties will be at this point. We don't really know outside of Titanfall and Destiny (which may also go to Wii U) what the other two will get right now either though. So people are just making baseless assumptions at the moment in regards to the system not getting future third party content. I'm pretty sure Activision and Ubisoft will continue to launch their games on everything possible at the very least.

big youth

I would buy a Wii U if it comes bundled with NSMBU
But do you understand why they'd never do this? It makes no sense from a business perspective to pack in a game that is printing money. Wind Waker, Lego City, ZombiU, these are the type of games it makes sense to bundle

TDLink

But do you understand why they'd never do this? It makes no sense from a business perspective to pack in a game that is printing money. Wind Waker, Lego City, ZombiU, these are the type of games it makes sense to bundle

Retailers will probably do a mario bundle on black Friday even if Nintendo doesn't.

It makes sense to bundle any game that will incentivize purchasing the console when lowering the MSRP of the console is undesirable. I'm not saying that they should bundle NSMBU, mind you. But it strikes me as a bit odd to suggest that any Wii U game is "printing money" when sales of the console itself largely preclude any title from printing money. You can't sell games to people that don't own your hardware.

vctor182

In a way yes, because they need an high game attach rate to gain a profit and it seems NSMB is that game.
However, IMO packing in NSMBU makes the system much more appealing and opens up the possibility to purchase another game because I already bought the system, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who thinks like this.
So it does make sense from a business perspective to bundle it since it will attract more customers to the system.
Leaving it like this will only make consumers, like me, look elsewhere for affordable entertainment and paying over $400 to play NSMBU is not that (I'm not taking in account the basic set since retailers pretty much won't be stocking it anymore).

There are some intangibles that aren't included in the numbers, mostly public perception. If people aren't buying the console, they aren't talking about it. Public perception is also something the board would be conscious of as well. Ultimately you're working with people who also buy based on emotion and the appearance/illusion of a deal. That's why it can't be a pure numbers game. People also don't want to be on your platform if you have lackluster 3rd party support. That's exactly what we're seeing now with the Wii U, which becomes a self feeding cycle. That's why you have to eat more of a loss sometimes.

Baer

Neo Member
A pricecut at this point would be the wrong decision and the wrong message.
Though I don't know if Mario Kart 8 (2014) and SMB3DW will help significantly to a point where Nintendo is back into the competition. 2014 will be the key year for the console, I don't want to see a pricecut before christmas '14 depending on the sale numbers to that date.

A pricecut at this point would be the wrong decision and the wrong message.
Though I don't know if Mario Kart 8 (2014) and SMB3DW will help significantly to a point where Nintendo is back into the competition. 2014 will be the key year for the console, I don't want to see a pricecut before christmas '14 depending on the sale numbers to that date.

I don't know why you think they need to hold off a full two calendar years before a cut should be considered.

Sorcerer

Nes: Super Mario bros. Pack In

Super Nes: Super Mario World Pack in.

Nintendo should look to the past and bite the bullet. Take the loss on the game, get the system in peoples hands.

I know it will never happen but if they could they should have packed in Brawl (had it ready at launch) with the system to sell it. Since its an online fighting game I think it would sell tons of systems.

weevles

IMO a price cut would be exactly the right message at the right time.

Nintendo needs something to bring attention to Wii U this holiday in the midst of the XBone and PS4 launches and being at least $100 less with Wind Waker and all these great titles now and coming soon should be that hook because let's be honest here, nothing else is making a difference.

It doesn't matter that EU had a few $50-ish discounts at select retailers that didn't catch hold. I'm talking about a permanent global $100. They need to move consoles and get them into people's homes, not worry about taking a short term loss on hardware. They have the cash. They have 3DS to keep that cash flowing. Time to make some hard choices or get left behind.

Mlatador

Banned
It makes sense to bundle any game that will incentivize purchasing the console when lowering the MSRP of the console is undesirable. I'm not saying that they should bundle NSMBU, mind you. But it strikes me as a bit odd to suggest that any Wii U game is "printing money" when sales of the console itself largely preclude any title from printing money. You can't sell games to people that don't own your hardware.

With the line up that is coming this fall, there is really no need for Nintendo to overreact. I also think that NSMBU is a title that will continue to have a very high attach rate. Basically whenever sales of the Wii U go up, I expect sales of NSMBU to go up as well.

It's really one of those titles that's probably gonna be purchased throughout the Wii U's lifespan. Add to that the fact that NSMBU, like other Mario Games won't siginificantly - if all - decrease in price and thus keep making Nintendo very good money, I think it would be a bad move to bundle it with the hardware.

This fall line-up of very strong 1st and 3rd party titles + the upcoming "summer" OS update + the likely improved and more feaquent marketing at the end of the year will drive sales good enough.

With the line up that is coming this fall, there is really no need for Nintendo to overreact. I also think that NSMBU is a title that will continue to have a very high attach rate. Basically whenever sales of the Wii U go up, I expect sales of NSMBU to go up as well.

It's really one of those titles that's probably gonna be purchased throughout the Wii U's lifespan. Add to that the fact that NSMBU, like other Mario Games won't siginificantly - if all - decrease in price and thus keeps on making Nintendo very good money, I think it would be a bad move to bundle it with the Hardware.

This fall line-up of very strong 1st and 3rd party titles + the upcoming "summer" os update + the likely improved and more feaquent marketing at the end of the year will drive sales good enough.

That's all well and good, but is entirely based on assumptions. And again, I'm not saying that NSMBU as a pack-in title is a good move that will make a difference. However, in response to the post I quoted, I was just left scratching my head a bit. I'm certain that even with the Wii U's meager sales, NSMBU has probably been pretty profitable for Nintendo. However, I stop short of asserting that it's a title that is "printing money."

Again, that would be a silly label to place on any Wii U title, as the potential for even a title such as NSMBU is limited by the limited install base of the console. Should the great fall lineup prove unable to ignite sales in the fashion that you imagine, NSMBU will not print money. As such, testing the waters with a NSMBU bundle hardly strikes me as some sort of boneheaded move that only people who don't understand business would suggest.

kirby_fox

Banned
It makes less sense to do a price cut so soon. They do not want another 3DS problem, and thus they're doing everything they can with limited resources.

3rd parties will flock to PS and XB because those systems have proven to sell their games as first part exclusives don't overshadow their titles. Nintendo's problem isn't price, it's games. We've seen price cuts since launch and nothing.

So this is where I think Nintendo is slowly working on fixing that:

- Exclusive 3rd party partnerships
- Expanding 1st party division to meet demand
- Becoming publisher on games to entice people to buy the system

They have shown all three of those- but if anything a $50 price cut and EA back on board would drastically help. Getting developers to make downloadable titles even, would help them a ton. I think this is why they're courting indie developers more so, as third parties have shown their cards.

Mlatador

Banned
That's all well and good, but is entirely based on assumptions. And again, I'm not saying that NSMBU as a pack-in title is a good move that will make a difference. However, in response to the post I quoted, I was just left scratching my head a bit. I'm certain that even with the Wii U's meager sales, NSMBU has probably been pretty profitable for Nintendo. However, I stop short of asserting that it's a title that is "printing money."

Again, that would be a silly label to place on any Wii U title, as the potential for even a title such as NSMBU is limited by the limited install base of the console. Should the great fall lineup prove unable to ignite sales in the fashion that you imagine, NSMBU will not print money. As such, testing the waters with a NSMBU bundle hardly strikes me as some sort of boneheaded move that only people who don't understand business would suggest.

If everything does not work (which I don't think is likely), yes, they should do/try it. I just think this fall it's not needed and too much of a dramatic move.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
maybe it wouldn't make a difference but the small $50 gap from wii u to ps4 is mentally bonkers.

$50 gets you:

32gb hdd -> 500gb
~0.3 tflops? -> 1.84
nintendo online -> psn
no 3rd party support -> awesome 3rd party support
1gb of game ram -> 5.5 gb of game ram

like daaaamn.

Mileena

Banned
maybe it wouldn't make a difference but the small $50 gap from wii u to ps4 is mentally bonkers.

$50 gets you:

32gb hdd -> 500gb
~0.3 tflops? -> 1.84
nintendo online -> psn

like daaaamn.

pitbulls vs. poodles

it's not even in the same league really, Wii U has no business being priced that high
he says as he bought one for $350

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

$50 gets you:

32gb hdd -> 500gb
~0.3 tflops? -> 1.84
nintendo online -> psn

like daaaamn.

this doesn't actually matter, for the same reason it didn't matter last gen, and hasn't mattered in any gen I can remember. Software sells hardware, not the other way around.

The difference is that Nintendo has had terrible console output basically since the end of 2010.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
this doesn't actually matter, for the same reason it didn't matter last gen, and hasn't mattered in any gen I can remember. Software sells hardware, not the other way around.

The difference is that Nintendo has had terrible console output basically since the end of 2010.

last gen was the only gen where a severely under powered system won, and it was thanks to it's innovative controller more than anything. graphics matter, small differences? not so much, but big differences? oh yeah.

Mlatador

Banned

$50 gets you:

32gb hdd -> 500gb irrelevant for people who don't buy digital only. there are also no installs/mandatory installs on Wii U + you can add any sort of usb harddrive to increase the storange up to 3 Terrabyte
~0.3 tflops? -> 1.84 not so important because graphics have improved so much that games across the board look at least "good" or are completely dependant on art style to shine brighter than their competition
nintendo online -> psn free online gaming vs pay for online gaming

no 3rd party support -> awesome 3rd party support this is just a downright lie. Almost every major 3rd party game except GTA V (which is PS360 exclusive so far) and FIFA 14 (EA is being a bitch) will be available on the Wii U this fall.

1gb of game ram -> 5.5 gb of game Both should be enough for developes to make awesome and fun games.

What you also forgot to add: 50 less gets you:

100% backwards compatibility to the Wii
The game Nintendoland (or, if the rumors are true. Zelda WW HD)
Access to the entirety of the awesome 1st and 2nd Party Nintendo Line-up.
Access to all the exlusive 3rd party Wii U games.
[for Wii owners only] The option to use all of your Wii accessories on Wii U and thus saving a lot of money for extra controllers (up to 150 for 4 controllers, and even more if you have a balance board)
A very innovative Touchscreen controller that allows you to:
- play games OFF TV, basically lag-free.
- browse the internet much more comfortably.
- Use MIIVerse comfortably (the only way MiiVerse would properly function basically)
- enjoy games with extra Gamepad features like Splinter Cell Black List
- enjoy 5 player multiplayer games and "asymmetrical gameplay" (Nintendoland, Wii Party U + upcoming titles)
- get 2 screen Co-Op like in Blops2 in some games.

Like with everything, it's not always just shallow numbers.

MercuryLS

Banned

When there is a massive chasm between systems, hardware power does matter. Right now devs are targeting PS4/X1/PC for their future games and Wii U will continue to get marginalized because it can't hang with those machines (which is compounded by the fact that it's selling like crap and has too small of an install base to make money on).

TomServo

[for Wii owners only] The option to use all of your Wii accessories on Wii U and thus saving a lot of money for extra controllers (up to 150 for 4 controllers, and even more if you have a balance board)
- Use MIIVerse comfortably (the only way MiiVerse would properly function basically)
- enjoy 5 player multiplayer games and "asymmetrical gameplay" (Nintendoland, Wii Party U + upcoming titles)

Considering no one's buying that at $350, I guess the PS4 is utterly screwed.

This is precious, I love how right off the bat 32GB vs. 500GB is "irrelevant"

Biker19

Banned
Didn't Sony take a 200+ loss on the PS3? They might have to do it if sales don't pick up after the new titles are released.

If they even try to do that, it'll just blow away most of their profits.

Nintendo's not like either Microsoft or Sony in which both of them could easily take huge losses because they have other profitable divisions backing them up on the losses.

Mlatador

Banned
This is precious, I love how right off the bat 32GB vs. 500GB is "irrelevant for people who don't buy digital only"

fixed that for ya'

Edit: plus it's irrelevant in the context of the Wii U because it doesn't have mandatory game installs, or better, no game installs at all.

DigitalOp

Banned
Well they clearly did. Games weren't there and OS was (is) lacking to put it mildly. I just want to know why they did it. Probably wanted a product out there before PS4 and XBONE were unveiled but they had pay a heavy price for it. Now when the compelling software is finally starting to be here they have absolutely no momentum. They also screwed out the early adopters before with releasing no software for the first six months of the system and now potentially hefty price drop less than a year since the system launched. I'm not sure how they're expecting anyone to be there day one for a Nintendo platform after 3DS and Wii U. That's also one reason why I think they're waiting with the price drop. Iwata did say after 3DS that they wouldn't let it happen again but Iwata does say a lot of things.

I'm inclined to agree. This is a no win situation for Nintendo. Let's be quite frank about it while we discuss this topic...

They are stuck between a rock and a rock.. not even a hardplace...

On this side, you have current gen hardware retailing at 200-270 with an enormous software selection...... on the other side, you have looming future tech with 10x the power and fuctionality for only 50-100 bucks more...

End all be all, Nintendo HAS to do something before Nov 15th... They HAVE to lest they want to be utterly forgotten this holiday season. Standing idle is not going to cut it anymore. They're screwed because the rest of their lineup isn't complete till december... AFTER PS4 and XBO launch....

But here's my idea...

Start an ad campaign in the meantime, highlight select titles for a buy one, get 1/2 off. They need to start generating momentum.

But at the end of the day I feel no pity for Ninty. They had a full year to get software together and clean up the mess... they did fuckall with the time. They reap what they sow..

So the problem is that Nintendo made the system cost way more to make than its power would indicate, with little chance of costs coming down significantly.

$250 with a game seems like the right price. Customers can see that and think "that's like $199 without a game, sounds good." With the power level they were aiming for, Nintendo should also have been aiming for the ability to go to $250.

How did they ever get started building something that costs so much for them to make?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The WiiU being only $50 cheaper than the PS4 blows my mind. Needs to drop $100 as soon as possible (and more games please).

Guevara

I really don't know what Nintendo should do, but the price cut model is sort of what they tried to do with the Gamecube. And this time they can't do that without taking a huge hit.

The other suggestion is to pack in more value (through games, or memory or whatever) but I don't think customers will recognize that either. No one seems to care about off tv play, etc.

I guess that's why a radical relaunch ($199-$249, no Wii U Pad, maybe a branding change) makes more sense to me.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Here is why a price cut is urgent: go into a GameStop. Wii u is fast losing retail space. I really think it is in serious danger. It is with used psp games at this point. If it loses shelf space, it won't matter when Mario kart comes out.

DigitalOp

Banned
So the problem is that Nintendo made the system cost way more to make than its power would indicate, with little chance of costs coming down significantly.

$250 with a game seems like the right price. Customers can see that and think "that's like $199 without a game, sounds good." With the power level they were aiming for, Nintendo should also have been aiming for the ability to go to $250.

How did they ever get started building something that costs so much for them to make?

Yes, the first major problem in all this is that they're selling at a loss... how in the hell?....

The system is probally a 1/4 stronger than PS3 and 360... Nintendo needs new hardware engineers because this doesn't cut it... 3DS included...

The 2nd major problem was with their "next gen" lead, they utterly loafed. They really sat back and did nothing the first 7 months.... now they want muster up plans and ideas at the last second. That's embarassing. Imagine this fall lineup hitting much sooner because they cared... we'd have a totally different situation.

3rd big mistake. They didn't even advertise the thing. Did they want to even sell the console?

hongcha

$50 gets you:

32gb hdd -> 500gb
~0.3 tflops? -> 1.84
nintendo online -> psn

like daaaamn.

Don't forget the extra $50 for the PS4 also lets you watch blurays and DVDs, which the Wii U doesn't. That's a big deal for many people (including me). I'd rather have a console that plays blurays/DVDs than have to buy a console and a separate bluray/DVD player for $100+.

I've never really understood the $50 difference between Wii U and PS4 when (as far as we know) the PS4 $399 SKU doesn't come with a game. Now, whether not one believes nintendoland (or another pack-in) is worth the price, is the question.

Now, yes, the PS4 is a much better deal tech-wise, but one buys a nintendo device for nintendo games (and third party exclusives). Those aren't here yet, but they're coming.

If you want a Wii U, and don't want to pay the price it's at, it will go down in price ... eventually, and by then, there will be a much larger selection of games for you to buy.

Nintendo is probably not going to have another "Wii" on their hands with Wii U, but I do expect them to have it be financially profitable, though the profit margin may not be as big as they would hope.

vctor182

The WiiU being only $50 cheaper than the PS4 blows my mind. Needs to drop $100 as soon as possible (and more games please).

Why do some people keep thinking this? Do they just forget that WiiU is $350 but includes a retail game? The difference is +$100 since the PS4 does not include a game ($60) and if you want to play online you need to add PS+ subscription.

bridegur

Why do some people keep thinking this? Do they just forget that WiiU is $350 but includes a retail game? The difference is +$100 since the PS4 does not include a game ($60) and if you want to play online you need to add PS+ subscription.

I actually think it's fairer to compare it to the PS3, which is currently $200-300 with a variety of pack-in games. It doesn't have a controller like the Wii U, but it does play Blu-rays, has a lot more storage space, and obviously a much larger library.

Here is why a price cut is urgent: go into a GameStop. Wii u is fast losing retail space. I really think it is in serious danger. It is with used psp games at this point. If it loses shelf space, it won't matter when Mario kart comes out.

Yeah, I'm not trying to completely shoot down the hopes and dreams of optimists. After all, what the hell do I know? But I feel like a lot of the analysis that acts like the Wii U is just a tweak here and a game release there away from realizing its potential. And I feel like a lot of that ignores just how grim the situation is.

A price cut isn't a magic bullet fix, and I understand the arguments against it. But I really don't understand how anyone can look at the current situation and surmise that everything is under control. I guess there's an argument to be made that they're doing everything they can to mitigate losses. But that doesn't seem like something worth hanging one's hat on.

goldenpp72

The online thing would matter if anyone used Wii U online and it had games to play online, but as it barely has anything to play online (and those that have online won't have any relevance on that system) makes it kind of a non issue. It's like saying my TV subscription is free but I only get 2 channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom