• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are different platforms getting different review scores?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I've been noticing this for some time now, but 2 recent examples back-to-back made me rethink this and create this thread.

Look at the disparity in review scores.

IHF6zas.jpg
JKeO3hq.jpg
pwY8tg0.jpg

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre also has similar results, but this time Xbox scoring the highest.

pGYuNHE.jpg
WGOFORW.jpg
61kMhv4.jpg

Why do you think the same game would rate so differently on different platforms?

So far it seems like PC and PS5 are more similar in results, but Xbox is being the outlier on 2 recent games. Any thoughts?

makaveli60

The metascore is an averege. Check how many reviews are there for each. Also, performance, visual, etc. differences can play a role in it.

Tsaki

This is why you need to bin off Metacritic and use Opencritic. One entry per game for all platforms.
Well no. If the PC version is an unoptimized mess, then that gets piled with the console reviewers who might not have such issues. Why take into account how the PC is doing when you were going to play on console anyway?
Edit: The same can be said the other way around. See Cyberpunk

Last edited:

yazenov

Because very few reviewers review games on the Xbox, their average score will differ. They have the smallest user base so it doest not represent the majority of the users' experience.

The default reviews are where most of the audience are on the PS5, then PC. So they are the most important ones that people should take into consideration.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Well no. If the PC version is an unoptimized mess, then that gets piled with the console reviewers who might not have such issues. Why take into account how the PC is doing when you were going to play on console anyway?
Edit: The same can be said the other way around. See Cyberpunk

It's still way better than the alternative. The Cuphead DLC last year had a 6 point differential between PS4 and Xbox One with no technical issues reported, it's just that the outlets were different.

A person can still make sure their chosen platform doesn't have inherent issues with a 3 second Google search, but for an aggregated score, Opencritic is better. If one version of the game performs poorly it can and will drag the overall score down.

Astral Dog

The way i read it i only check out the platform with the highest numbers of reviews,thats the 'real' one

Sometimes there is a specific problem with a port ,for example on Switch that makes it lower on average, or a poor PC version.

Hudo

Can have multiple reasons. It could be because on that particular platform, the game doesn't run as well and gets rated down as a result. Or that some platform-exclusive magazines/reviewers just have different opinions.

Tsaki

It's still way better than the alternative. The Cuphead DLC last year had a 6 point differential between PS4 and Xbox One with no technical issues reported, it's just that the outlets were different.

A person can still make sure their chosen platform doesn't have inherent issues with a 3 second Google search, but for an aggregated score, Opencritic is better. If one version of the game performs poorly it can and will drag the overall score down.
I disagree for the same reason I said before. Cyberpunk was not a 76 (an average to good game, maybe) for PC players, the majority of players. Meaning Opencritic was completely worthless to them. If I have to go then and read reviews to weed out if my particular case is applicable, then that defeats the purpose of an aggregate.

Banjo64

cumsessed
4 reviews on the Xbox platform. And one of them is a suspect albatross around the neck.

When Xbox Era give a game like Redfall 8.5 and Armoured Core a 6.5, I simply can’t rule out that Xbox themselves are directly mandating this in order to manipulate scores in favour of their own games. Especially with Starfield on the horizon, they wouldn’t want another 85-90 game launching alongside it. We know that Xbox’s strategies are pretty pathetic and low level, so sadly I can’t even rule this out.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I disagree for the same reason I said before. Cyberpunk was not a 76 (an average to good game, maybe) for PC players, the majority of players. Meaning Opencritic was completely worthless to them. If I have to go then and read reviews to weed out if my particular case is applicable, then that defeats the purpose of an aggregate.

Luckily Opencritic already thought of that.

grviJml.png

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The way i read it i only check out the platform with the highest numbers of reviews,thats the 'real' one

Sometimes there is a specific problem with a port ,for example on Switch that makes it lower on average, or a poor PC version.
Yeah, that's a good tactic to circumvent this problem. But people, at least casuals, would tend to gravitate towards checking reviews on the platform they'd play on.

Poorer performance or some other issue not present on the other platforms?
Different outlets reviewing different platforms and giving different scores?
these reasons seem simple enough, but when i checked the Plus games to make a list of games I might want to play, many PS4 games were rated lower than their xbox sibling, I think not even once the other way round, or at least not often. unless it's a newer one x enhanced game any ps 4 game should have better performance. and a collective of different outlets should average out some clickbait scores, but seemingly did not. Iirc it was never much but still odd with the gen were the better plattform was kinda clear. Reviewers seemed to try to help the underdog without any justifiable reason.

AV

Do they do this for every game, or is it only for CP because of how big it was? It wouldn't be that difficult to automate now that I think about it.

Not every game, we were just talking about an extraordinary circumstance game and that one got the disclaimer. Jedi Survivor for instance doesn't have a warning; there's poor platform optimisation and then there's Sony pulling the product from its store.

That said, at the end of the day, any aggregate is only ever good for a general idea anyway. There was an outlet that gave Cyberpunk on PS4 a 9/10 "despite its huge technical flaws" i.e. it was borderline unplayable and got delisted. Luckily most other reviewers on PS4 weren't batshit insane so the score was still low, but that 9/10 still propped its score up higher than it should have been.

skit_data

A difference of ÷-10 isn't really that much, it comes off like a bigger difference than it really is.
Some review outlets using a 5 point scale instead of a 10 point scale probably affects the overall Metacritic/Opencritic score way more than that tbh.

Roufianos

This is why you need to bin off Metacritic and use Opencritic. One entry per game for all platforms.
That's an awful idea.

And OP, as others have said, it's different people reviewing the game across different platforms. For Series X and PS5, you're better off just going by the platform with the most reviews.

AV

That's an awful idea.

And OP, as others have said, it's different people reviewing the game across different platforms. For Series X and PS5, you're better off just going by the platform with the most reviews.

As per my Cuphead DLC example, both PS4 and Xbox one have 9 reviews each, but the Xbox version scores 6 points higher because there's no tech issues, and reviews are all subjective. So if the PS4 version had one more review, people should inherently refer to that? A 92 vs. an 86 can be the difference between an immediate buy and wait for a sale for some people.

There is no perfect system and everyone's going to prefer one to the other. For me Opencritic makes much more sense for an idea of the quality of a product, i.e. Cuphead DLC scored an overall 88 because it's aggregating 76 reviews, not 16, 9, 9 and 38 separately.

Three

I still remember Polygon giving Call of Duty Ghosts a 6.5 on PS4 and a 7 on Xbox one "due to performance difference" which they apparently just perceived during console launch. Then when the PS4 was shown to outperform the xbox one consistently they never gave the xbox one lower scores in their reviews. It was so obvious what they were doing.

It depends on the number of analyzes and Xbox also has a multitude of pages to adulterate the notes, if it is a game of yours first or it comes out on day one in gamepass, pages like windowscentral, generacionxbox, somosxbox, xboxaddict, stevivor, xboxtavern, mondoxbox, Xbox Achievements, purexbox, xboxhub, xboxera, etc... to give it great scores and raise the average... or for the opposite if the game is from the competition.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Because different reviews from different outlets are being aggregated for each version. Is this a serious question?

Top Bottom