• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are doughnut boxes pink? The answer could only come out of Southern California

Kas

I live in NH, and I associate pink boxes with cupcakes, since a local cupcake place uses pink boxes.

Randy's Donuts are overrated. :D

But I can see where you are coming from. While I like donuts, I never have the urge to eat them by themselves. I always need to have some coffee or tea with them.

I might have agreed with you until I read the second part of your post. Randy's is great, not the best ever but a legit ass old school donut shop.

gutshot

Donuts are big in LA? That's weird as I felt like I could never find a good donut shop when I lived there. Of course, I'm from the Northeast and am addicted to my Dunkin Donuts so the sketchy mom-and-pop shops weren't doing it for me.

Tripon

Donuts are big in LA? That's weird as I felt like I could never find a good donut shop when I lived there. Of course, I'm from the Northeast and am addicted to my Dunkin Donuts so the sketchy mom-and-pop shops weren't doing it for me.

Wow, what's so sketchy about independent donut shops? It's the mom and pop places that you should try. Just about every place makes their donuts on site. It's fresh in the morning and you don't have to worry about dealing with Boston Red Sox fans.

Dude what are you doing with your life. When are massive food chains ever better than mom and pop shops.

I had no idea the pink boxes were only a regional thing.

Same here.

I live in the eastern part of LA County, and I'll take a mom-and-pop donut shop over a chain any day. I only ever go to Krispy Kreme when I don't have change for the mom-and-pop shops.

I grew up associating pink boxes with Chinese bakeries. Didn't know it was a donuts/California thing as well.

golden-gate-dan-tats-1.jpg

Gourmet donut shops have been opening up for a decade or longer. Voodoo Doughnuts just recently expanded here.

We got Dunkin Donuts out here too. They're pretty much middle of the road, not considerably superior to the 'sketchy' mom n pops you describe.

LA donuts are overall pretty awful. Funny enough all the good ones are those that hail from Portland.

Portland is the epicenter of donuts. Go there.

Tagyhag

You shut your whore mouth. Randy's Donuts has the best crumb doughnuts I've ever had.

:D I haven't had their crumbs to be honest, just their glazed, chocolate, and coconut donuts. They were EXTREMELY greasy.

I'd compare getting a Dunkin Donuts donut like getting a burger from a Carl's Jr.

Sure they're alright, but it doesn't beat a burger from an actual burger place. The mom and pop places may look sketchy, but their donuts (Of course it differs from place to place) can be damn good.

Top Bottom