• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are EA & Activision multiplatform games shipping later on the PSP?

I'm trying to understand the publisher's strategy here. Clearly, it's to give the console versions a head start, but why? Do they honestly expect people to buy both, but giving them a little time (1-2 weeks) to get ready for the PSP version?

Madden PSP, NBA Live PSP, Marvel Nemesis, X-Men Legends 2, Tiger Woods PGA 06, FIFA Soccer 06, WWE: Smackdown vs Raw (THQ) are all guilty of this (among others)

NOTE: Ubisoft, Sony, & LucasArts seem to be releasing same day for their titles (SOCOM being the exception, but it's not really a straight port)

Actually, why does Activision seem to hate the PSP? Spider-Man 2 & TH: Remix for launch and now just 1 title, X-Men Legends 2. No Ultimate Spider-Man, GUN, Tony HawK: AW, or True Crime versions announced.

BuzzJive

What's the benefit of supporting additional resources to try to launch simultaneously? They can just shift people from one project to the other, specifically in stuff like testing and whatnot, to save money on resources.

RuGalz

Sony requires ports to PSP to have at least 30% of additional stuff or changes from console counter part.

Izzy

Banned
> Why are EA & Activision multiplatform games shipping later on the PSP?

In order not to canibalize console sales? With PSP revs being as close to console ones as they are, it's an inherent danger.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
RuGalz said:
Sony requires ports to PSP to have at least 30% of additional stuff or changes from console counter part.
Yeah, I was going to suggest this as one of the factors.

Izzy said:
In order not to canibalize console sales? With PSP revs being as close to console ones as they are, it's an inherent danger.

But, you'd run the risk of hurting PSP sales, wouldn't you? Are console sales more important to them? (from the standpoint of a single consumer choosing one over the other?)

Izzy

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Are console sales more important to them? (from the standpoint of a single consumer choosing one over the other?)

Probably, and yes, it does hurt potential PSP sales. Re: Madden PSP.

Ponn

Banned
sonycowboy said:
But, you'd run the risk of hurting PSP sales, wouldn't you? Are console sales more important to them? (from the standpoint of a single consumer choosing one over the other?)

Actually i'm picking up my PS2 version of Xmen Legends II as soon as Gamestop gives me the ring. I was going to wait for the PSP version but I can't, I need to play it. I am still going to get the PSP version though because of all the extra content and unlockables. I don't think theres really a risk, people who were going to buy the game are anyways and then they might have portable enthiusiasts or completests like me who will get the PSP version as well so win-win for them.

Oh but yea, bullshit on them for no Ultimate Spidey on PSP, i'm pissed about that and don't understand why.

I suppose they're just trying to differentiate them a little, so they're not on the "new" rack at the same time? Or maybe they're really just taking longer (the '30% new content' thing, or maybe lower priority resource allocation).

But a better question would be, why are they making the same game in the first place? Also, I'd like to extend a special "fuck you" to devs with multiplatform games that have PSP exclusive content (like Cpt America in the upcoming Marvel game). I'm not buying your game twice, and I'm not going to pick the portable version over the home version (and why would you want me to?). Get a clue and make a PSP game from scratch.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Leondexter said:
But a better question would be, why are they making the same game in the first place? Also, I'd like to extend a special "fuck you" to devs with multiplatform games that have PSP exclusive content (like Cpt America in the upcoming Marvel game). I'm not buying your game twice, and I'm not going to pick the portable version over the home version (and why would you want me to?). Get a clue and make a PSP game from scratch.

Leon how many times are we going to go through this ALL multi-platform games that go to the PSP must have exclusive content, that comes DIRECT from Sony.

I do agree with the last sentence though, we need more exclusive PSP content.

It should be treated as a separate market, This is why the PSP does so poorly. The fact that you can play it at home or on your PSP is a bad sign. Think about it, do you really care that much to play the same game twice. Ultimately that is the problem with the PSP, and it shows in japan, and it is beginning to show here. Major companies do not support come and go hardware, only tried and true. Nintendo may have lost console standings, but Handheld is still strong, Not till PSP has sold more then 60-70% of what the DS has sold worldwide will they support PSP with multiple titles. It's not smart, to assume.

DarienA

Spazbiohaz said:
It should be treated as a separate market, This is why the PSP does so poorly. The fact that you can play it at home or on your PSP is a bad sign. Think about it, do you really care that much to play the same game twice. Ultimately that is the problem with the PSP, and it shows in japan, and it is beginning to show here. Major companies do not support come and go hardware, only tried and true. Nintendo may have lost console standings, but Handheld is still strong, Not till PSP has sold more then 60-70% of what the DS has sold worldwide will they support PSP with multiple titles. It's not smart, to assume.

Wait, Wait... the PSP does not do poorly worldwide... where did you get that assumption? It's hardware and software sales are strong everywhere except in Japan.

Xellotah

Spazbiohaz said:

The counter argument to that is people want to play their PS2 games on the go... ala WE9 and madden. although these games might be the exception rather that the rule.

DarienA said:
Leon how many times are we going to go through this ALL multi-platform games that go to the PSP must have exclusive content, that comes DIRECT from Sony.

I do agree with the last sentence though, we need more exclusive PSP content.

All right, all right. So I should have said "fuck you" to Sony as well. :)

NWO

Wow reading this makes the PSP sound like the Gamecube threads. :lol

"Why aren't we getting games on time?"

"Where is all the support?"

"Why aren't they making games for my system but they are for the other ones?"

It probably has to do with the fact that they aren't going to make as much money on the PSP version as they will with the Xbox and PS2 version so like the Cube they give it the shaft. I mean it only has a couple million sold worldwide compared to the 100+ million of the PS2. When you look at it that way and the higher costs of the PSP it makes sense as to why they aren't giving them their full effort.

If the PSP ever gets to console sales then it will be treated like the consoles are but until then it will get the sloppy seconds.

DarienA said:
Wait, Wait... the PSP does not do poorly worldwide... where did you get that assumption? It's hardware and software sales are strong everywhere except in Japan.

nes-02.gif

NWO said:
Wow reading this makes the PSP sound like the Gamecube threads. :lol

"Why aren't we getting games on time?"

"Where is all the support?"

"Why aren't they making games for my system but they are for the other ones?"

It probably has to do with the fact that they aren't going to make as much money on the PSP version as they will with the Xbox and PS2 version so like the Cube they give it the shaft. I mean it only has a couple million sold worldwide compared to the 100+ million of the PS2. When you look at it that way and the higher costs of the PSP it makes sense as to why they aren't giving them their full effort.

If the PSP ever gets to console sales then it will be treated like the consoles are but until then it will get the sloppy seconds.

I'm not speaking towards the quality of the game or a lengthy delay. Most of these are a single week, meaning all the versions are done and it's simply a matter of sheduling them. And EA (& one game for Activision & THQ) seems to want to have the console/GBA/PC versions have a week and then release the PSP version afterwards.

I just think it's a bit strange, and while I can sort of see the "exclusive content" argument, I don't see it from the development time side, I see it from the consumer side. Buy the regular versions and then if you have to have that exclusive content get the PSP version as well.

It's almost like a "chase" vehicle for them like in so many other collector markets (which, I think the VG industry does share demographics with).

Xellotah said:
The counter argument to that is people want to play their PS2 games on the go... ala WE9 and madden. although these games might be the exception rather that the rule.

Good point, but sales to not back this statement yet. However Movies are backing it up quite a bit. But, this also seems to be do to the lack of software for the system.

DarienA

Spazbiohaz said:
Good point, but sales to not back this statement yet. However Movies are backing it up quite a bit. But, this also seems to be do to the lack of software for the system.

Again I ask... where are you getting your software sales ideas from?

ram

RuGalz said:

untrue

colin mcrae rally 2005plus and dtm race driver 2 have only new wi-fi playmodes and the abbilty to send ladders/ghosts to other psp gamers.

there is absolutly nothing new! even the menues are looking the same.

Agent X

sonycowboy said:
I'm trying to understand the publisher's strategy here. Clearly, it's to give the console versions a head start, but why? Do they honestly expect people to buy both, but giving them a little time (1-2 weeks) to get ready for the PSP version?

Madden PSP, NBA Live PSP, Marvel Nemesis, X-Men Legends 2, Tiger Woods PGA 06, FIFA Soccer 06, WWE: Smackdown vs Raw (THQ) are all guilty of this (among others)

I'm going to guess that some of those are a bit behind the other versions in development. It doesn't really explain Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06 or FIFA 06, though.

sonycowboy said:
Actually, why does Activision seem to hate the PSP? Spider-Man 2 & TH: Remix for launch and now just 1 title, X-Men Legends 2. No Ultimate Spider-Man, GUN, Tony HawK: AW, or True Crime versions announced.

Activision's third PSP game, World Series of Poker, just came out today. They announced Gun for PSP a while ago, too.

I'm really surprised that they're not doing Tony Hawk's American Wasteland or Ultimate Spider-Man for PSP. The PSP versions of both Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix and Spider-Man 2 seemed to sell very well.

I haven't played Spider-Man 2, but I know reviews on it were mixed. I bought Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix at launch, which was an absolutely great PSP game, and most reviews of it seemed to lavish a lot of praise on it. That's why it's puzzling that the PSP is getting stiffed on the newest installments in those series, while the GBA and DS are getting versions of them.

One possibility I can think of is that Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix and Spider-Man 2 for PSP are still relatively "new," having been out for only about six months. Don't forget these were released several months after their counterparts on other consoles, also. For those reasons, they might be staggering not only the release, but also the announcement, of the follow-ups so they can try to milk as many sales as they can out of the current PSP games, and also not to siphon potential sales away from the GBA and DS versions.

Again, I would be absolutely shocked if Activision isn't already secretly developing PSP versions of these games. You'll probably see PSP versions announced by the end of the year, and then released shortly afterward.

pilonv1

ram said:
untrue

colin mcrae rally 2005plus and dtm race driver 2 have only new wi-fi playmodes and the abbilty to send ladders/ghosts to other psp gamers.

I'd have to agree here, the only thing that may be 30% different is the loss of detail. Race Driver 2 is as close to a direct port as you will ever see.

RuGalz

ram said:
untrue

It's not necessarily the content... New mode like wifi play counts... And ya that takes dev time.

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
King Kong & Prince of Persia 3.
Actually, it's a version of POP2. They also have a Splinter Cell in the works (likely SC4) and an Episode III game. I bet they pick up Every Extend Extra too.

Top Bottom