• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did Activison put a Sierra website up?

I like the logo. when's Crash

I'd be quite alright with this

Rise from your grave, Radical

Yep.

But Radical's been severely gimped, the Crash team was deaded back in Feb 2010 and Crash Landed alongside it.

Get Vicarious on Crash, why have you not done this Activision?!

As for Spyro, I hope they meant it when they said they don't consider Skylanders Spyro to be the actual Spyro, so that's a tiny ray of hope the true Spyro isn't dead.

The BEST thing Activision can do is get Insomniac on a multiplat Crash and/or Spyro, if not, then Big Red Button can also work.

Vicarious is the obvious choice of their group though.

ChipotIe

Banned
Quest for Glory, King's Quest, Police Quest, Space Quest moba confirmed.

No seriously though how rad would it be to get new King's Quest V-VI or Quest for Glory: Shadows of Darkness calibre adventure games. Console only kids did not know what they were missing out on.

The Sierra name brings back so much nostalgia. I hope they don't bastardize the branding by using it as a dumping ground for mediocre games. When I think about it most of my best memories of Sierra come from Dynamix games, early Valve titles and or course their point and click adventures.

FrsDvl

The Sierra name brings back so much nostalgia. I hope they don't bastardize the branding by using it as a dumping ground for mediocre games. Though when I think about it most of my best memories of Sierra come from Dynamix games (and early Valve titles)...

I really doubt they will use it for anything mediocre, not if they are going to tease us like this, no one is interested in mediocre games, they don't need a gamescom reveal for that.

My guess is that it will be Crash related (although I'd rather it be Spyro) there seems to be a lot of demand for a new Crash, so why not? It seems like the most logical thing to do imo.

Deadstar

Starsiege_Tribes_3.jpg

PLEASE

Can we start a petition for an hd remake of Tribes 2? I don't want anything added, I don't want anything changed. Just update the graphics a bit. Give me that music, give me that skiing feel. Give me the large bases, the huge ships, the vehicle combat, the disc launcher. Good god almighty, the greatest shooter that ever was and ever will be.

Xenoburgers please.

Can we start a petition for an hd remake of Tribes 2? I don't want anything added, I don't want anything changed. Just update the graphics a bit. Give me that music, give me that skiing feel. Give me the large bases, the huge ships, the vehicle combat, the disc launcher. Good god almighty, the greatest shooter that ever was and ever will be.

I know the perfect dev:

logo.png

BTails

Sierra adventure games were my entire childhood (Feel free to Avatar quote me in the following post for this one, haha). I don't want to be cautiously optimistic, but I AM...

KissVibes

Banned
They don't even own the IP, man. Though when HiRez goes under after Smite has run it's course they'll probably sell anything to anyone.

Global Agenda 2 will save them.

Seriously, that's their plan.

Smite runs it course - Global Agenda 2! - GA2 runs it course - TRIBES ASCEND 2! - TS2 runs it course - SMITE 2!

And so on.

My prediction:

Sierra will be Activision's "Non-AAA" sub label. All the games that are weird, niche, arty, experiments that push gaming forward just a little bit, ressurections of old IPs, and new IP's that Activision deem not worthy of $500 million in advertising over 10 years, will be published under The big rock. A glorious golden age of gaming follows.

The likely reality:

Mobile ports, one or two Mediocre new games, a couple of remakes, and a 3D nextgen King's Quest Reboot that's overhyped but tanks horribly.

I hate being a pessimist.

GoaThief

FWIW, Hi Rez pulled the plug on the servers. It could be that they sold the IP.
Wait, tribes ascend is no more? It cannot be played? Haven't seen anything of this in the media or elsewhere at all.

I imagine Hi Rez would gladly sell the IP, SMITE is theie big earner now and TA was dropped like a hot potato as soon as the beta was well received. Problem is I don't see anyone including Activision/Blizzard thinking it's worth buying.

This will be something else.

It looks like Night Dive are going to re-release them. Also Sierra only published them.

Has anything new happened since Night Dive filed for the trademarks? I remember there being some skepticism over whether Night Dive actually owned the rights to No One Lives Forever or if this was their way of ferreting out the real copyright owners.

Anyways, I won't believe the Sierra revival is real until I see a re-release of Aces of the Pacific. Come on, guys, Red Baron's already out on GOG, give me my Aces games!

My guess is that it will be Crash related (although I'd rather it be Spyro) there seems to be a lot of demand for a new Crash, so why not? It seems like the most logical thing to do imo.

Crash and Spyro aren't really the two franchises that come to mind when I think of the Sierra name, what a way to squander a name that still holds so much nostalgia for so many gamers. It would be great if they could revitalize some of their old franchises, I would love a modern take on Police Quest or a new entry in the S.W.A.T. series at least. Remakes of the Space Quest series could be awesome too, though I don't hold high hopes for it to happen.

Global Agenda 2 will save them.

Seriously, that's their plan.

Smite runs it course - Global Agenda 2! - GA2 runs it course - TRIBES ASCEND 2! - TS2 runs it course - SMITE 2!

And so on.

With how they completely fucked over the people who liked(?) GA I can't see a lot of people getting up for a sequel, and Ascend is the same story only in an already established and much more volatile community.

BTails

They're gonna start porting classic Sierra titles to iOS and Android.

I can just see it now:

Base game: $2.99
Hint book: $1.99
5 free "lives", must wait 2 hours after those end to continue playing, or pay to unlock additional lives

Some of the earlier games with unfair instant deaths would be absolute madness with those IAP options.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm trying to imagine why the company that refuses to ship a game that sells below 5 million unless it has a budget of $5 would bring back Sierra, but hey, I loved their games, so I'll hope for the best
and keep expectations at rock bottom

Some of my favorite games of all time have the Sierra tag on them. Half Life 2, FEAR, SWAT 4. All of those games were released around the same time too.

TheOGB

Banned
My prediction:

Sierra will be Activision's "Non-AAA" sub label. All the games that are weird, niche, arty, experiments that push gaming forward just a little bit, ressurections of old IPs, and new IP's that Activision deem not worthy of $500 million in advertising over 10 years, will be published under The big rock. A glorious golden age of gaming follows.

The likely reality:

Mobile ports, one or two Mediocre new games, a couple of remakes, and a 3D nextgen King's Quest Reboot that's overhyped but tanks horribly.

I hate being a pessimist.
Yeah, pretty much

Shingro

There is like a 0% chance this isn't a nefarious F2P iOS game right?

I want to get excited about the prospects of new Sierra stuff in 2014 but its still Activision. Best to temper that hype I guess.

Say what you like about Activision and such, but they tend to stick to normally priced "gamer games" more then any other major publisher.

They know their audience and they stick to making what they know that audience likes. I'll trust them on this until they show me definitive reasons not to.

Also: Please Quest for Glory

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, the GK remake hasn't come out yet, right? I guess that's something they could attach the Sierra name to.

inm8num2

Activision hasn't released any old Sierra titles on GOG for quite awhile. Hopefully they'll get back to doing that as there are still some awesome games left in that old catalog.

Also, one thing to consider is that Telltale had licensed the King's Quest IP from 2011 - 2013. Basically, they had two years to do something with KQ until the license expired and rights reverted back to Activision. Maybe the latter has been cooking something up during the last year?

Either way, I'm keeping expectations very low. :)

I would love to see either entirely new games in their Quest lines, or hell I'd take HD remasters if too -

Oh and bring back The Sierra Network!

Top Bottom