• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Did The PS3 Fail?

Tobor

ParticleReality said:
Can we let this thread die already? You guys have had your fun bashing the Playstation, and casting doom apon it like were on the verge of the next round of consoles.

Now, I think we should all leave this thread and go back to trying to just enjoy the systems we do and not constantly bash the ones we don't because its the hot thing to do(based on a book).

Frankly, if someone made a thread based on a book called 'Why did the 360 fail?' where the author talked about Hardware issues and doing poorly in japan it would get locked after only a few pages.

It would also be the same outcome if a thread was made about a book called 'Why did the wii fail?'. Where the author talked about the frequent issues with shovelware, and how the lasting appeal could soon disappear as games on the other 2 systems get better, and the systems get cheaper to own.

One of these things is not like the other, friend. Can you spot the difference?

ParticleReality said:
Can we let this thread die already? You guys have had your fun bashing the Playstation, and casting doom apon it like were on the verge of the next round of consoles.

Now, I think we should all leave this thread and go back to trying to just enjoy the systems we do and not constantly bash the ones we don't because its the hot thing to do(based on a book).

Frankly, if someone made a thread based on a book called 'Why did the 360 fail?' where the author talked about Hardware issues and doing poorly in japan it would get locked after only a few pages.

It would also be the same outcome if a thread was made about a book called 'Why did the wii fail?'. Where the author talked about the frequent issues with shovelware, and how the lasting appeal could soon disappear as games on the other 2 systems get better, and the systems get cheaper to own.
I'm all for letting this terrible thread die, but don't act like there's a shadow conspiracy going on here. Paranoia doesn't look good on anyone.

Tobor

I thought of something that could save this thread, but it's nearly in its grave so I'll not waste it.

What is the percentage of possibility your "something" will get you banned?

10 IF > 50% THEN POST
20 IF < 50% THEN THINK OF SOMETHING ELSE
30 GOTO 10

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Tobor said:
What is the percentage of possibility your "something" will get you banned?

10 IF > 50% THEN POST
20 IF < 50% THEN THINK OF SOMETHING ELSE
30 GOTO 10
Well then I'll think of something else.

Vinnk

If someone actually wrote a book called 'Why did the wii fail?' and got it published, this place would go batshit insane.

The reason this thread has inspired so much emotion, is that the PS3 may (or may not) have actually failed. The Wii (from a business standpoint) can be called nothing but a success in it's launch year.

At the very least, the PS3 actually has meaningful third party exclusives, which the Gamecube never really had (no, I don't count Baten Kaitos or Tales of Symphonia).

rs7k

Green Shinobi said:
At the very least, the PS3 actually has meaningful third party exclusives, which the Gamecube never really had (no, I don't count Baten Kaitos or Tales of Symphonia).

It had the Resident Evil games. I'm still surprised at the Gamecube's demise. It started at $199.

Tobor

rs7k said:
It had the Resident Evil games. I'm still surprised at the Gamecube's demise. It started at $199.

Purple cube. It was all over the moment Miyamoto pulled it out at E3. And that's the point we have been trying to make this whole 30 page thread. Public perception can't be shaken.

vilmer_

Wow, this thread is an xbot and wii queen's wet dream. Just imagine the barrels full of saliva that were instantly ejected at the very first site of the thread title! I'm glad I've been a PC elitist all these years, watching the console kids fight! It's always fun to watch one camp try and "1up" the other. Keep it going!

Evlar

Banned
vilmer_ said:
Wow, this thread is an xbot and wii queen's wet dream. Just imagine the barrels full of saliva that were instantly ejected at the very first site of the thread title! I'm glad I've been a PC elitist all these years, watching the console kids fight! It's always fun to watch one camp try and "1up" the other. Keep it going!
You're playing Persona 3 on the PC then?

Xisiqomelir

Speevy said:
If the PS3 drops price this year, I'm going to kill myself for buying one so soon.

I think you'll be happier not having to hook up a PS2 to play everything that works on the hardware BC list but not the software one.

belvedere said:
I think it's clear that the Wii will come out on top, but that doesn't make it's competition failures.
Wii's success doesn't make PS3 a failure. PS3's lack of success makes PS3 a failure.
Jokeropia said:
The net result is a $76 million profit, and this includes the money made by PSP.
Don't forget that PS1's positive contribution wouldn't be negligible the first few of those listed years.
Tobor said:
Purple cube. It was all over the moment Miyamoto pulled it out at E3.
Well, to be picky it was first pulled out at Spaceworld in a variety of colors by a group of women.
Tobor said:
Public perception can't be shaken.
But that, yeah.

To end the food analogy with some dignity:

The Wii is a burger,

The PS3 is a steak,

The X360 is an all encompassing, instantly digestible pill from the future which has a 33% chance of killing you.

Tobor said:
Purple cube. It was all over the moment Miyamoto pulled it out at E3. And that's the point we have been trying to make this whole 30 page thread. Public perception can't be shaken.
Purple cube, Luigi's Mansion instead of a ghost-house stage from the new Mario game, cartoony Zelda, a Factor 5 game as the flagship title, one of the most awkward looking controllers ever seen, no online, Sony hitting with the devastating GTA3, Devil May Cry, GT3 A-Spec, Silent Hill 2, Final Fantasy X, Metal Gear Solid 2 combo, etc.

The answer is simple, though easily corrected - it's just something Sony hasn't wanted to do yet.

Sony's pricing selection was HORRIFFIC. The systems cost the same after the HD-DVD player is factored in, but for those that only want a gaming system, that was seen as an extra $200 for no good reason.

Developer support is decided based on user base. With the 360 garnering more sales, it was only a matter of time before third-party developers went multi-platform. If Sony could pull a MS for a moment and buy their loyalty, they wouldn't be having this problem because they'd still have a sizeable amount of exclusives.

As it stands, the PS3 won't sell much more than it is currently unless the rumored $400 40GB PS3 hits the market before the holiday season. I honestly believe that will get Sony back into the game hardcore because it plays to two different camps:

1) The gamers will have renewed interest in the system due to a decent pricing structure. Developers see the rising PS3 install base and may not have so much of a problem supporting it in the future.

2) Blu-Ray adopters see a cheaper Blu-Ray player than anywhere else on the market and buy PS3s. If they don't game at all, they'll still buy Blu-Rays regularly, therefore justifying the Blu-Ray format.

That's just my two cents, though...

legend166

Green Shinobi said:

But from a business sense, if those meaningful third party games don't sell, who the hell gives a damn?

The only people that bring the quality of games into these arguments are the SDF. No sane person is denying that the PS3 is going to have great games. Almost every damn console ever released has had great games.

Except for the NGage.

TheHeretic said:

The Wii is a burger,

The PS3 is a steak,

The X360 is an all encompassing, instantly digestible pill from the future which has a 33% chance of killing you.
Steak is more satisfying than a burger, your analogy fails.

Jtrizzy

good point...it's not my place to judge how others spend their time. I just wonder how some find the time to actually play video games as opposed to discussing them.

Concept17

TheHeretic said:

The Wii is a burger,

The PS3 is a steak,

I would say the Wii is more like... the toy in a kids meal...

The ps3 is a steak sure... only theres more pink then you prefer.

The 360 tastes great... even though its not what you ordered and theres a good chance you'll die/puke it out later.

J-Rzez

titiklabingapat said:
Whoa, 30 pages about a known fact. Seriosly?

Don't get too giddy N-fans... Ninty may not fail in NPDs, but they may fail gamers...

concept17 said:
The ps3 is a steak sure... only theres more pink then you prefer.

What?! What's wrong with pink in steak? Hell, when I order steak, I ask them to wound the cow, not kill it... Bring it kicking still...

J-Rzez said:
Don't get too giddy N-fans... Ninty may not fail in NPDs, but they may fail gamers...

:lol :lol :lol

*licks the bitter tears from the SDF*

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

READ THE BOOK BEFORE TAKING IT UP THE ASS. IT'S JUST THE DAMN TITLE.

J-Rzez said:
What?! What's wrong with pink in steak? Hell, when I order steak, I ask them to wound the cow, not kill it... Bring it kicking still...

I have my steak rare.

Frankly, anyone who orders a steak with the phrase "well done" deserves to be "well done" by my Spanish Galleon, otherwise known as my cock.

Shamrock

Banned
Bulla564 said:
Enjoy this talking point. It won't be around much longer.

Well look at the budgets the Sony Big Hitters need to make it look good. Your talking about over 40 million for MGS 4 already, Over 40 million for KillZone 2, over 40 million to make Lair.

and it looks like Lair might have needed about 120 million

How many publishers outside of Sony Studio's are going to sink 40+ million into development for the console with the lowest install base? Probably not many as we can see already.

J-Rzez

FunkyMunkey said:
:lol :lol :lol

*licks the bitter tears from the SDF*

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

READ THE BOOK BEFORE TAKING IT UP THE ASS. IT'S JUST THE DAMN TITLE.

Sorry, I'm a Hardcore/Next-gen DF... And I was just referencing a clever post by someone...
Don't have tears, but got something else you can lick...

TheHeretic said:
Frankly, anyone who orders a steak with the phrase "well done" deserves to be "well done" by my Spanish Galleon, otherwise known as my cock.

:lol

J-Rzez said:
Sorry, I'm a Hardcore/Next-gen DF... And I was just referencing a clever post by someone...
Don't have tears, but got something else you can lick...

A female on GAF? Well that's always welcome :D .

J-Rzez

FunkyMunkey said:
A female on GAF? Well that's always welcome :D .

Sorry, even if I was female, since you post here, I wouldn't put out (even with dinner and a movie)... I'd go with the dudes from LE, gun, and car forums...

zorrocat.gif

StevieP

Banned
J-Rzez said:

Clearly, because 400k people per month who buy the system purchased it simply to watch YouTube movies on the Internet channel. THERE ARE NO GAMES!

Where the author talked about the frequent issues with shovelware, and how the lasting appeal could soon disappear as games on the other 2 systems get better, and the systems get cheaper to own.

The PS1/PS2 were kings of shovelware, too. Happens to all market leaders. In fact, it's the telltale sign of a market leader, because everyone wants a piece of the action, and for as cheap/quickly as possible. As for lasting appeal, let me make it quite clear to you what history SHOULD have taught you:

userbase -> software -> userbase -> software -> userbase -> software, etc

Momentum doesn't simply vanish, and the systems that are considered the 'losers' (i.e. they're not even close to selling what the others do) have always stayed that way. It doesn't change with price, and it doesn't change with the magical "HD adoption curve" crap.

No sane person is denying that the PS3 is going to have great games. Almost every damn console ever released has had great games.

THANK you. This should end the thread. Welcome to last place, SDF. Enjoy it, because you're still going to get some great first party games.

J-Rzez said:
At long last, J-Rzez and Segata Sanshiro come to an accord. From our common platform of eating live animals, we shall forge a new world where lulz can be had without fighting.

Wait. I love fighting! I guess we'll just have a barbecue instead or something.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Tobor said:

You got it somewhat right. It was Takeda who pulled out the magic show at Nintendo's last SpaceWorld that gave us the first look at GBA & GCN.

Public perception and image are HUUUUUUUUUUUGE with this infantile industry. The GCN's design/power/potential was great, but it was squandered due to Nintendo's past, the kiddie image, bad advertising and the purple lunchbox + fisher price controller combo. I would also say that DC's demise left a bad taste in a lot of "gamers" minds and they didn't want to buy another "failed" system as they saw it as an investment.

Microsoft really capitalized on this situation 'cos shortly after "gamers" (I hate that word) got a taste of GCN, they revealed the X-BOX as a huge, hulking, powerful machine that had the almighty moneyhatting MS bacing it...it certainly could not fail despite it having a lot of newcomer naysaying at the beginning. The N64's userbase was effectivly split in half with Nintendo fans staying with GCN and PC/Tom Clansey/Star Wars/FPS/sports fans going to X-BOX. Nintendo dropped the ball and MS picked it up last gen.

Going into Wii however, Nintendo step-by-step is effectivly shedding their past image problems despite a less powerful machine with a new risky control scheme. Re-inventing themselves with the NDS, calling it a Revolution got people's interest, showing the system off as a slim, simple white upright console instead of a pastel colored toy, not revealing the specs, revealing the controller without games leaving a lot of mystery by bringing the focus off what's on the screen and more about how people will play it, making the Wiimote look like a remote in order to make it appealing/easy to everyone, going for an odd yet easily identifiable name (I know tons of people who actually confused X-CUBE & GAMEBOX last generation), going for a new unexploited market...first with NDS and now with Wii, shattering sales records, getting tons of (sometimes, albeit, shitty) exclussives GCN would've had to fight for, becoming a legit player in the console market again. The image IS becoming anew and there's a few other stigma's & misconceptions that have to be shaken...and they will once people inside & outside the industry realize this is no fad and that Nintendo is here to stay.

PS3, hrmmm...it's got a problem way beyond price & content now...it's got that stigma of a bad image...and look at Nintendo, they had to redo everything to fix their own image and that's with them admitting there was a problem with N64 & GCN. Sony is NOT admitting their problems as much and they're kinda stuck with the stigma. People will doubt me when I say this, but the chink in the armor STARTED with PSP...and just got worse with PS3 due to arrogance (again, see Nintendo). A comeback is impossible for Sony now...they just have to ride this generation out.

Going into next-next generation I think people believe Nintendo is also gonna "ride this success" out and rest on their laurels, but I think they'll do something disruptive again to stay ahead of the game 'cos certainly MS & Sony will be trying to one-up the Wii in terms of casual appeal/new control methods.

Arde5643

gbovo said:
This thread should be stickied
True since so many people already have this thread bookmarked.
Some of the quotes in this thread are just begging to be brought back again just for crow purposes when NPD day arrives.

Top Bottom