• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do FPS and TPS games continue to default fire/aim to R1/L1 on the PS3?

Yuripaw

Banned
I really don't understand why developers can't get this right. Honestly, WHY do the majority of FPS/TPS games use R1 to shoot, and L1 to aim on the PS3? Is it part of some weird preference that PS3 owners have that they seem to stick to this method of controls? The PS3 controller has 2 trigger style buttons, use them for trigger to shoot in shooting games! I just dont understand why it's standard for so many games to default R1 to fire, when R2 makes more sense. You got this trigger shaped button, it's the closest button on the controller that resembles firing a gun trigger, and most games don't use it as such.

I even bought those plastic pieces that add more depth to the triggers on the controller, which surprising work real well. For games that let you customize the controls to R2 and L2, like Call of Duty, Skyrim and Borderlands, they work great. Yet I still find so many games, even ones published by Sony, that default to R1, and don't let you change it. Games like Killzone, Uncharted, and Mass Effect to name a few, don't even give you the option to change the layout.

I'm not a fanboy of one system or another. In fact the only console I currently own is a PS3 because I was just fed up with Xbox. I sold it because I was tired of so many damn ads on that dashboard, that I was didn't want to keep supporting it, but that's beside the point. Since the Xbox original days though, it just makes sense to me to use the trigger shaped buttons on the controller to default as the fire. Can you imagine how horrid it would be to fire on an xbox 360 controller with the right bumper? Yuck. I've just played lots of games across all platforms, and I feel like there is a way of doing controls for certain types of games that just make sense.

The PS2 controller didn't really have triggers, it just had 2 sets of shoulder buttons. So back then, maybe it made sense for them to map a lot of shooter games to the L1 and R1...but today, especially when Sony themselves redesigned the controller for the PS3, so that the L2 and R2 are more trigger shaped, why don't any developers take a friggin hint?

Toki767

The design of the L2 and R2 buttons suck for aiming and shooting. They aren't comfortable to leave your fingers on like the triggers in the 360 controller.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Developers took the hint. Did it the way you want it and got blasted and quite a few games were patched later to support the superior L1/R1.

Riposte

All I wish is that games wouldn't constantly change them on me. I play multiple games at once and my reflexes tend to get confused.

Durante

I don't understand the usefulness of "trigger" style buttons of any kind for firing in shooters. That's the one action you want the best response time on, so why would you put it one the button with the longest key travel?

SykoTech

R2 for shooting would be horrible. R1 is the better setup, hence why it's the default.

R2 for driving sucks too (looking at you, ModNation).

Eusis

Because they're concave and kinda crappy... and the controller actually IS designed in a way where L1/R1 are very comfortable to use for shooting. I imagine if you somehow grafted the PS3 triggers onto the 360 controller and had the free space to use LB/RB they'd STILL suck for shooting. The reverse would probably be fine though, 360 triggers grafted onto a PS3 controller.

And fuck those triggers, they sit too damn high for my comfort, nevermind the backs of the ones I tried being kind of sharp. I'm in the minority here I imagine, but I'd rather go with the controller as is then stick those things on.

EDIT: Though really, the important thing is an option is provided period. I make it a habit to hit the options first thing, came from switching stereo to mono all the time in the 16-bit generation, and nowadays I usually want to ensure subtitles and Y invert are there. I think it'd be better just to make a habit of doing that then get frustrated the default isn't what you'd prefer, certainly I don't blame developers for defaulting to non-inverted Y, only if they fail to implant it fully (Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction's Star Fox-like flying stages being the worst culprit recently I can think of.)

Because the triggers are absolute pieces of crap. This coming from somebody who prefers the DS3 to the 360 pad.

Edit: And as others said, it just feels good placement-wise. It'd feel weird to use the bumpers on 360 to fire but that's due to the controller's shape/design.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Because the triggers suck and shooting with middle fingers would be terrible. Plus, triggers provide zero benefit for games other than racing games.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
As someone who has played FPS games on both PS3 and the 360, the Sixaxis controllers for me never felt ideal for FPS games in general, mainly due to the fact of the way the triggers were designed. The 360 controller almost feels like you're holding a gun whereas the Sixaxis feels slippery. But, in that case I do understand why the games use the R1/L1 buttons as opposed to the bottom one's since they feel even more 'slippery'.

Triggers being crap. Devs obviously realize it, would rather have you work with the shoulder buttons (which I find to be better on the Dualshock than the 360 controller).

Though I bought those trigger extender things such that my fingers don't slip off when pressing the button and I have no complaints there anymore. I have no clue what Sony was thinking when they designed those triggers.

Eusis

Because the triggers suck and shooting with middle fingers would be terrible.
Admittedly if a game's going to be trigger dependent like that I'd just let the middle finger fall off and use the index fingers there. I don't really track how my fingers are on otherwise, but I know it's uncomfortable as hell to actually try to keep both pointer and middle on the 360's top.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
BTW, what recent 3rd party FPS games do let you change the triggers? MW3? The Darkness 2?

alr1ght

but I know it's uncomfortable as hell to actually try to keep both pointer and middle on the 360's top.

And that's what they need to remedy on the 720 controller. The bumpers are useless for anything other than secondary actions.

Having 4 actions always available on the ps3 pad is a plus. They should have just kept the regular buttons from the ds2 instead of the half-assed triggers.

I went over to a friends house and played some BF3 with him for a bit and I was really confused why I had to use L1/R1 for aim and fire. I got use to it really quick though and it seemed comfortable enough. I am use to playing on a 360 controller btw.

Admittedly if a game's going to be trigger dependent like that I'd just let the middle finger fall off and use the index fingers there. I don't really track how my fingers are on otherwise, but I know it's uncomfortable as hell to actually try to keep both pointer and middle on the 360's top.

Wait, people use their middle fingers for the lower shoulder buttons? I use my index fingers for both sets of shoulder buttons - always have. Unless a game requires pressing two shoulder buttons on the same side at the same time for whatever reason...

Pulling a 'trigger' with my middle finger would just feel... Weird. My index finger is faster and stronger!

Valnen

After playing a bunch of shooters I've actually grown to prefer PS3 style controls. It took getting used to because I owned a 360 for a couple years before I owned a PS3 but I actually grew to like it a lot more.

Eusis

Wait, people use their middle fingers for the lower shoulder buttons? I use my index fingers for both sets of shoulder buttons - always have. Unless a game requires pressing two shoulder buttons on the same side at the same time for whatever reason...

Pulling a 'trigger' with my middle finger would just feel... Weird. My index finger is faster and stronger!
Depends on the controller/game. I think I kept both up pretty frequently on the CC with Xenoblade since I recall accidentally pressingt he back ones a few times, I vaguely recall doing that at times with the PS3, and never at all beyond some early attempts with the 360 controller.

alr1ght

yes, I probably switched over during SSX on PS2. It was really the only way to play and gives you advantages in other games.

that's why R1>R2

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If any game that defaults it to L2/R2 without an option to change it I automatically assume no one on the dev team played the PS3 version. It's fucking terrible. L1/R1 all the way.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Honestly the triggers and analog sticks are so bad on the dualshock I can't understand how anyone without child sized hands can deal with it.

That said L1-R1 is the worst because my 360 adapter means I'd have to shoot with rb/lb LOL no thanks. At least most games let you swap.

StuBurns

Banned
If any game that defaults it to L2/R2 without an option to change it I automatically assume no one on the dev team played the PS3 version. It's fucking terrible. L1/R1 all the way.
Yeah, I literally don't understand how that can happen. Take BioShock, that was worked on by three studios, none of them ever realized this? I can't imagine anyone who cared ever touched that game.

It's funny, someone from id mentioned on twitter Rage was R2/L2, everyone told them that's crazy, and it shipped 'correct'. How many years were they playing that game with a DS3? Baffling.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah, I literally don't understand how that can happen. Take BioShock, that was worked on by three studios, none of them ever realized this? I can't imagine anyone who cared ever touched that game.

Even crazier, it carried over to Bioshock 2 as well. I hope it's fixed for Infinite. I literally was not able to play some games that defaulted to L2/R2 until I got Realtriggers and even then it was still not optimal.

I would like to see a different controller design from Sony next gen. Not too different but definitely a rethought of trigger/shoulder button placement. I would love to have a couple of triggers like on the Move Nav with longer handles with the secondary buttons farther down, so that your middle fingers can just rest on them without having to move from the position you naturally hold the controller.

sleepykyo

Having 4 actions always available on the ps3 pad is a plus. They should have just kept the regular buttons from the ds2 instead of the half-assed triggers.

Yes, please. I get that shooters are the in thing, but even then buttons are actually better the triggers are just wasted energy. Never felt right using the triggers in DOA4 or SC4 and I sure as heck wasn't going to use the bumpers.

It's funny, someone from id mentioned on twitter Rage was R2/L2, everyone told them that's crazy, and it shipped 'correct'. How many years were they playing that game with a DS3? Baffling.

Funnily enough, I think Dead Space 2 (which was when online mp was added to the series) switched over to triggers as the default for some reason. Wonder if the online competitive PS3 crowd has some fetish for triggers.

Card Boy

Banned
You should be asking why there isn't an option for Mouse and keyboard controls considering Unreal Tournament 3 is the only game that supported it. Its a disgrace that Sony never pushed this. I can accept it creates 'unfairness' in multiplayer, but how about all the SP games?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You should be asking why there isn't an option for Mouse and keyboard controls considering Unreal Tournament 3 supported it. Its a disgrace that Sony never pushed this. I can accept it creates 'unfairness' in multiplayer, but how about all the SP games?

I'd like to think that Kb&M will be supported in CS:GO due to cross-platform play.

Doesn't matter if it is 360 or PS3, triggers are retarded for shooting. Rapid fire semi auto shooting requires a button not a squishy trigger.

Eusis

By the way, why are some of you saying it "defaulted" to L2/R2 without the option to change (or vice versa)? Defaulting implies there was another option to begin with.

Doesn't matter if it is 360 or PS3, triggers are retarded for shooting. Rapid fire semi auto shooting requires a button not a squishy trigger.
Honestly, this is something I was actually thinking: while the PS3 having crappy triggers does deter me from wanting to play shooters with them, I do honestly prefer using L1/R1 for aiming and shooting over LT and RT. I guess it just feels more right, and that's probably part of why.

Wait... Do people in this thread actually rest 4 fingers on the triggers at one time? The fuck?

Do people in this thread hold controllers correctly? Yes. Four buttons, four fingers.

On a Dual Shock, that is; 360 controller's obviously designed for two fingers on the shoulder buttons.

Top Bottom